Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 46 reviews)

• Over the course of those 6 years I've seen two things remain constant; great people and great culture (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, micro manage, not a great life/work balance (in 26 reviews)

• Commission structure needs serious adjusting (in 20 reviews)

1. "Acount Exec. Review"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good enviorment and pay and benefits

Cons

Freight is tough and is slow at times

Advice to Management

None

"terrible"

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none except cool people on your team

Cons

everything is terrible pay is so low saturated industry, favoritism.

May 4, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We are sorry that you had such a negative experience at Echo. We are always willing take advice from our employees, and wish you the best of luck!

"Will have to wait and see..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great office, atmosphere and co-workers

Cons

Compensation is considerably lower than Chicago averages.
    Requesting a raise takes 6-12 months.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth. Review process needs improvement.

Apr 19, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for the review. This year we are working to improve our employee review process and determine what make the most sense for our people and Echo as a whole. We hope you continue to work hard and ... More

"Echo Global"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Community to work for and in. High performers rewarded.

Cons

During season you work Longer hours and no overtime pay.

"Dallas Office = First-Rate!"

Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and values, exceptional leaders, high growth, market-leading service offering

Cons

Crowded marketplace, difficult to differentiate

Advice to Management

Keep improving technology and use the branches as laboratories of innovation

Apr 20, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback! Our Dallas Branch continues to grow and impress all of us at Echo. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your time here.

"Great post-college job"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fun atmosphere
    -Above average support from managers
    -Learn skills for the future
    -Great benefits

Cons

-Lower end of starting salaries
    -Not much advancement opps
    -Internal saturation

Advice to Management

They have spent a lot of time, money, and resources into improving the CRM for the sales staff, but there is still way too much useless data and inhibits newer reps

"DON'T - you're better than this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will without a doubt meet some of your best friends here. Other than that, not a lot of pros.

Cons

Echo claims to have a great culture and to be continually doing things to ensure career growth. Well let me tell you, neither of those are true. Echo has a terrible culture. They think the culture is great because people are friends and go to happy hour together. Culture should go beyond that and stand for more than that, which Echo does not. They will tell you over and over that they offer career growth but they don't. There is literally no growth to be had. They pick favorites and offer those people decent bumps in pay, but anyone else that isn't a favorite will get totally screwed no matter how hard you work. If you aren't a favorite or a top sales rep, get out while you can.

Echo tries to distract everyone by offering beer Friday, and a "cool office space", but when it comes down to it everyone is VERY underpaid. It is a known fact that they try to get people in the door at the CHEAPEST offer possible and will do everything they can during reviews to not give you a merit increase.

If you are ok grinding day in and day out and not ever developing your skill set or learning, you're an ideal employee. They look for people who aren't smart enough to realize their potential, people who they can schmooze into staying there because they "value" you, but they don't. How can they value you, when they under pay you and offer you zero career growth? Well, they'll tell you "at your next review we should be able to give you a nice bump in pay but right now can't". Also, don't get excited about bonuses because they are so small it's almost offensive.

Advice to Management

Maybe market Echo as a company that's a starter job, don't lie and says its a place to grow your career. Be up front and tell candidates that this is a good job right out of college to get some experience on your resume.

Recognize the people who actually work hard and put in years of hard work and compensate them accordingly. STOP UNDERPAYING PEOPLE.

Be more than just a company who cares about making money. Give back, get involved in the community. Stop making people feel like they have to be chained to their desk. Stop buying fancy things for the office and spending money on extravagant parties and things people don't care about, use that money to pay people more or use that money in a more philanthropic way.

"Potential is there"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, can build lifelong friendships. Many tools and resources are provided to be successful.

Cons

Saturated company in a saturated industry. If you are a carrier sales rep you are competing against 500+ other people within your company, aside from the numerous other brokerages through the U.S. you're competing with. Takes a lot of hard work and even more luck. Integration with Command Transportation has also shown clear differences in company culture

Advice to Management

Continue to mesh Command and Echo cultures into one cohesive unit. Decrease the size of incoming hires; company is already saturated to begin with.

Mar 16, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts and advice on Echo! Logistics can be a tough industry and we know the frustrations that come with it, but we continue to empower our ... More

"Great work environment, and earning opportunity"

Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great fit, and very little micromanaging takes place. You must be very self motivated and self reliant. There are a ton of resources here, but you have to ask for help if you need it. They are very big on knowledge transfer here. I have vets ask me for my opinion almost as often as I ask for theirs. The money is there if you can master the multi-tasking required to balance a large work load. The commission is not immediately available but they do offer plenty of bonus opportunity for your first 18 months to help get you through to that draw.

Cons

They could be more clear on a few things here. It is pretty common to find someone that doesn't completely understand how they get paid. It likely has a bit to do with the fact that this is a first time job for many recent grads. But it also has a bit to do with there not being much emphasis in training or hiring on explaining the draw and how to earn commission. Again, if you want to know something, you need to ask.

Advice to Management

Keep finding new and exciting ways to motivate your reps, and helping them to grow.

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We appreciate the awesome review! It is great to hear that all levels of sales reps are willing to help one another to achieve success.Commission structures can be complicated, which is why it is ... More

"National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make a very good living here if you put in the work the first few years. If you do the right things.....and have luck on you're side there really is unlimited potential in terms of commissions. Once you have an established book of business and make the company consistent GP you have a lot of freedom to sell how you see fit and not get micro-managed.

Cons

It's a competitive industry and you have to adapt to the times. You're going to lose accounts to price, service failures, management changes, and sometimes for no good reason. You need thick skin to roll with the punches and position yourself to make money through the slow times and when the market flips. The only real con is the work can get very repetitive after several years so you have to find a way to make it tolerable and not burn out.

Advice to Management

Continue to advance technology and position the company to have a competitive edge over other 3PLs. Stop the favoritism and spoon feeding reps house accounts or accounts from turnover reps. Too many top "sales reps" who never really sold much. Aside from that, thank you for the great career and the financial opportunities.