Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated October 13, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really enjoy the fun, yet collaborative work environment (in 49 reviews)

• The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, micro manage, not a great life/work balance (in 28 reviews)

• The commission structure is a rat race (in 21 reviews)

"Favoritism Galore - No Help"

Former Employee - Customer Sales in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Sales in Skokie, IL

Pros

Great relationships with other 20-something time co-workers, free coffee, can make a TON of money. Easy to make friends. Work hard=reward.

Cons

Where to begin. Was easy to leave this company in the dust once the corporate sell out to Echo took place. Forgetting about the politics behind the acquisition, this place takes money straight out of its employees paychecks- every paycheck. Customers dont pay- there goes your money. Colleague makes a mistake- there goes your money, accounting dept puts no effort into collecting past dues- there goes your money. I think you get the picture, full time task just making sure they dont cheat you. HR, basically turns a blind eye to employees cursing at, talking down to, and doing things to other employees that wouldnt fly anywhere else, may have changed now that they are public which would be great to hear. Management, FORGET about it- you would have to have the largest book of business in your group in order to get anything more than a good morning, how are you doing, do you need help throughout the year. Most employees just show up late, wait for someone else to quit and absorb their accounts- Actually selling is virtually not even discussed. Room for advancement, not a chance--sit in your seat, dont eat lunch, and take verbal abuse all day is pretty much the extent. Upper management, well i think they finally canned Danny but half the time he wasnt even there, when he was its most likely the case that he has no idea whats going on- a couple good managers there but for the most part a bunch of buffoons who've only ever worked there just babysitting all day and listening to people whine.

Advice to Management

If it was possible to clone Paul, John and Adam maybe it would be a good place to work. Stop hand feeding people who dont work hard just to keep your group together, give the best account to the hardest workers. Dont let unproductive employees keep their jobs. Dont hire anyone, look for people who actually have some sort of tact and work ethic. Clean up the shop and fire the waste.

Aug 29, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your response and for some of your positive insight as well as some of your suggestions and areas of improvement. This company does value hard work and as your review states, working... More

2. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

High turnover, so so Floor Management

Advice to Management

No Comment

3. "Inside Sales Rep"

Pros

It was a fun young environment

Cons

Cold calling was terrible and the pay and benefits and not very good

"Account manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Sanilac, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Sanilac, MI

Pros

Friendships were the best and had lots of fun working side by side

Cons

Everything that has to do with the manager!

Advice to Management

Replace the management! Also check in on branches since this one has fake people working there so people have multiple company profiles which is illegal to company and IRS

5. "account executive"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

old ceo's, stinks, sucks, boring, not fun

Cons

liars, new ownership is awful

Advice to Management

bring back Paul Loeb

6. "Hamster Wheel"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Could wear essentially whatever you wanted to work.

Cons

No upward mobility, eat what you kill on a daily basis, base draw.

Advice to Management

Hire less reps, get lighter loads.

Jun 20, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review. Having a casual dress code allows our employees to focus on the work at hand. We do have limits to this, however, because we do have visitors walking through each office... More

7. "Great if you dont know better"

Former Employee - ENTERPRISE ACCOUNT PROFESSIONAL in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - ENTERPRISE ACCOUNT PROFESSIONAL in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics (More than a year)

Pros

The culture made it easy to transition from college. It is a young fun organization with beer Friday's, open work space and provide a decent introduction to real life.

Cons

The pay and recognition is subpar. Its difficult to make any real money there unless your in sales, and are very good at it.

Advice to Management

Its a top down mentality. Make sure your leaders know they are leading and teaching people.

Jun 27, 2016 – Director of Clientt Management

Echo has an environment where we promote teamwork and collaboration to ensure our people are engaged and motivated. We have a team dedicated to making sure our pay is in line with market, we offer... More

"Don't stay longer than 2 years"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Amazing Friendships came from working here.

Cons

As this was my first job out of college, I didn't know until I left and have been at 2 separate companies now that the sales training is AWFUL. There is no sales training. I kept wondering why when I was interviewing and trying to leave, I'd get all the way to the end of a handful of final interviews with different companies and not get the job? Looking back now, they all liked me, but due to my lack of proper sales experience, had to go with someone else. I get it now. I wouldn't have hired me either coming from Echo.

The job also promised me in my first year $65k and it was more like $35k... YIKES. That would have been nice to know before moving to Chicago and getting an apartment in Lakeview and then having to pick up a 2nd job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.
    Treat employees fairly.
    Provide learning and sales development opportunities for growth.
    Provide job opportunities and an actual career plan.
    Hopefully all these have changed since I spent many years there up until 2013.

Jun 8, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review. We have had updates to our training program since 2013 and successfully rolled out and implemented updates to our sales training program. We started a sales mentorship... More

"L&D Needs Work"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Echo has a flashy culture. The company itself is growing like a weed, so the opportunity to make your way and try new things to get recognized is there. Peers are generally fun, young, and passionate about their jobs.

Cons

This review is specific toward the L&D Department within the Talent Team:

Potential applicants to the L&D team should be wary of what exactly the position entails. It's a difficult department to work for, and though there are dozens of reasons why this is the case, what it boils down to is the fact that no one in leadership has any definitive handle on learning theory or content design.

Department leaders are embedded in the politics of training, so much so that no substantive work is completed, and when it is, it's demanded so hastily that the quality suffers. For a $2 billion company, they have a hard time allocating resources to employees interested in creating high quality content for much needed training initiatives. Expect to have very little control over any projects that you take on, with little freedom to impact the needs of the business because leaders have already determined, with little formal know-how, what the training needs are. They'll over-determine almost every project you're assigned to, thus reducing you to an ineffective order-taker.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and hire a leader in L&D who has at least 5 - 7 years’ experience in curriculum design. This person should know the ins and outs of all the basic design programs: Adobe CC, Captivate, Storyline, and more.

Allow that person to make dramatic changes to new-hire training that will allow for greater adoption of the learning management system and intranet resource.

In that same vein, hire 2 - 3 instructional designers and allow that team, with the new leader, to function as internal consultants.

Leadership should have minimal say in what the focus is for training initiatives. If this is done, you may see dramatic improvements with 1 - 3 years.

Jun 29, 2016 – Sr. Manager, Talent Optimization

Absolutely, we are not your average culture; we are fast paced, highly successful and have exploded in the past 11 years’ becoming one of the top companies in the industry. Echo is a high growth... More

"Managed Transportation Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young and mostly upbeat work environment. If you are liked then you will be able to get ahead. They have beer fridays once a month.

Cons

Managed transportation is underpaid, with inexperienced managers, and you are stuck behind at your desk taking the blame for nothing that you did. Echo is like a high school, just one big popularity contest. You wont get ahead if you are not liked by the managers.

Apr 20, 2016 – HR Representative

As you know, working as a middle man in our industry can be difficult because we have to creatively solve issues that aren’t necessarily our fault and relay information from our carrier partners to... More