Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated March 8, 2017

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 44 reviews)

• Over the course of those 6 years I've seen two things remain constant; great people and great culture (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Early start daily and long hours (in 20 reviews)

• Commission structure needs serious adjusting (in 19 reviews)

"Don't stay longer than 2 years"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Amazing Friendships came from working here.

Cons

As this was my first job out of college, I didn't know until I left and have been at 2 separate companies now that the sales training is AWFUL. There is no sales training. I kept wondering why when I was interviewing and trying to leave, I'd get all the way to the end of a handful of final interviews with different companies and not get the job? Looking back now, they all liked me, but due to my lack of proper sales experience, had to go with someone else. I get it now. I wouldn't have hired me either coming from Echo.

The job also promised me in my first year $65k and it was more like $35k... YIKES. That would have been nice to know before moving to Chicago and getting an apartment in Lakeview and then having to pick up a 2nd job.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.
    Treat employees fairly.
    Provide learning and sales development opportunities for growth.
    Provide job opportunities and an actual career plan.
    Hopefully all these have changed since I spent many years there up until 2013.

Jun 8, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review. We have had updates to our training program since 2013 and successfully rolled out and implemented updates to our sales training program. We started a sales mentorship ... More

"L&D Needs Work"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Echo has a flashy culture. The company itself is growing like a weed, so the opportunity to make your way and try new things to get recognized is there. Peers are generally fun, young, and passionate about their jobs.

Cons

This review is specific toward the L&D Department within the Talent Team:

Potential applicants to the L&D team should be wary of what exactly the position entails. It's a difficult department to work for, and though there are dozens of reasons why this is the case, what it boils down to is the fact that no one in leadership has any definitive handle on learning theory or content design.

Department leaders are embedded in the politics of training, so much so that no substantive work is completed, and when it is, it's demanded so hastily that the quality suffers. For a $2 billion company, they have a hard time allocating resources to employees interested in creating high quality content for much needed training initiatives. Expect to have very little control over any projects that you take on, with little freedom to impact the needs of the business because leaders have already determined, with little formal know-how, what the training needs are. They'll over-determine almost every project you're assigned to, thus reducing you to an ineffective order-taker.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and hire a leader in L&D who has at least 5 - 7 years’ experience in curriculum design. This person should know the ins and outs of all the basic design programs: Adobe CC, Captivate, Storyline, and more.

Allow that person to make dramatic changes to new-hire training that will allow for greater adoption of the learning management system and intranet resource.

In that same vein, hire 2 - 3 instructional designers and allow that team, with the new leader, to function as internal consultants.

Leadership should have minimal say in what the focus is for training initiatives. If this is done, you may see dramatic improvements with 1 - 3 years.

Jun 29, 2016 – Sr. Manager, Talent Optimization

Absolutely, we are not your average culture; we are fast paced, highly successful and have exploded in the past 11 years’ becoming one of the top companies in the industry. Echo is a high growth ... More

"Carrier Sales Rep"

Pros

Laid back work environment.
    Good vacation benefits.

Cons

long hours-tough to hit commission

Jun 8, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I am glad to hear that you enjoy the benefits and culture here at Echo! We understand that the hours and the job can be tough, which is why we work hard to ... More

"Managed Transportation Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young and mostly upbeat work environment. If you are liked then you will be able to get ahead. They have beer fridays once a month.

Cons

Managed transportation is underpaid, with inexperienced managers, and you are stuck behind at your desk taking the blame for nothing that you did. Echo is like a high school, just one big popularity contest. You wont get ahead if you are not liked by the managers.

Apr 20, 2016 – HR Representative

As you know, working as a middle man in our industry can be difficult because we have to creatively solve issues that aren’t necessarily our fault and relay information from our carrier partners to ... More

6. "OK to start"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good place to start after college

Cons

Lack of long term opportunities and no competitive salary

Advice to Management

Needs far better incentive, higher salaries, and more opportunity

Apr 20, 2016 – HR Representative

Thanks for the review! There are actually a lot of long term opportunities at Echo, whether it’s a promotion in your current department or exploring other departments. You’re correct, there aren’t ... More

"Senior Account Exec"

Pros

Good place to work in early 20's from a social standpoint

Cons

No life during the workday, behind a computer for 9 hours. Basically Light Bank tries to work people in their young 20's to exhaustion then fill the gaps with the next batch of trainees.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the clock-punching culture.

Apr 5, 2016 – HR Representative

Thanks for your review. We know that the logistics industry can be tough to work in because of the fast-paced, demanding nature. Because of this, we work really hard to create an environment that is ... More

8. "Account Executive"

Pros

Great office culture with great people

Cons

Not paid enough and overworked. Large disconnect between the management and people that do the work every day.

Feb 17, 2016 – HR Representative

Thanks for your review and sorry to hear you have a few complaints. I encourage you to reach out to the HR team directly to provide specific details so we are able to address your concerns.

9. "Almost one year under the belt"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Troy, MI

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively stress free environment. Supervisors are very relaxed and do not micro-manage at all allowing you the freedom to structure your day and manage your workload the way you feel comfortable.

Cons

Management is passive to the point where there is a lack of support (at least in the branch office I work off of). There is a lack of culture and with that a lack of moral in the office that can, at times, be toxic.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive and involved in the day to day operations of your employees. As nice as it is to have freedom, production is driven by strong leadership and a commitment to growth through hard work. With no direction employees feel a lack of support and build resentment towards their job. This in turn leads to higher turnover of valuable team members which stunts the growth of the company as a whole.

Feb 17, 2016 – HR Representative

Thank you for writing a review and providing your feedback. We strive to build a productive, supportive and positive work environment in every single office. If you have more feedback that can help ... More

"Typical burn and churn billion dollar business."

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth, if you see yourself in logistic long term (And get in good with the right people).

Great for students directly out of college looking to stop foot into a corporate environmnet.

Cons

Echo puts on an air of continued value being placed on each and every employee, however it often gets lost in the psuedo "culture" they have been trying to push on employees over the last year or so. From the build outs to the funky designs, yes, while they look beautiful, if you ask 95% of the employees what they need to better enjoy their lives, an increase in pay would be a the top of the list. The salary with the job barely touch the tip of the stress associated with logistics. Turn over comes in waves.

Advice to Management

Take time to REALLY listen to your exployees exit interviews.

Dec 8, 2015 – HR Representative

Thank you very much for providing your thoughts. We read all of our reviews on Glassdoor and all of our exit interviews; I can assure you we take the information very seriously because it's the only ... More

"Hopefully you don't have any real bills"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Park Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Park Forest, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed dress code. The people outside your team. Location

Cons

Almost everything else. Long days that seem endless, and constantly going to war everyday just to book 1 load. You shouldn't have to lie or bully your own team members.

Advice to Management

It's the field. Being a freight broker isn't meant for everyone.

Dec 8, 2015 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review. You are correct; being a freight broker isn’t for everyone. It is fast-paced and demanding. The earning potential is there but it takes a lot of hard work and patience ... More