Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 47 reviews)

• The Dallas branch exemplifies the "work hard play hard" mentality very well (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, micro manage, not a great life/work balance (in 26 reviews)

• The commission structure is a rat race (in 21 reviews)

"Horrible In Every Way"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Young co-workers- that is about it

Cons

SUCH A DEPRESSING JOB. As an account executive, you are literally just calling truckers all day and scheduling shipments. If you have an education, are SMART, or want to use your actual brain at work, DO NOT WORK HERE. This job should be for high school drop outs. It's basically a call/ customer service center. No appreciation at all for employees. Overall, the most depressing place I have ever been.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for your employees. No one actually likes this job so maybe some appreciation would be nice.

Jul 16, 2015 – HR Representative

Thanks for writing a review, we really appreciate the feedback. Rewards and recognition is actually something we are working really hard to improve, particularly for those in the Account Executive... More

"Run Away"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Environment
    Young co-workers
    Everyone likes to go out
    Make friends
    National company

Cons

You need a great environment because you will be spending your whole life in the office
    No one else will work here, high turnover
    Need a beer to survive
    Comrades in arms
    Branch manager must abide by corporate and feels pressure to perform

Advice to Management

At least pretend like you care about your employee's personal lives.

"IT Department downhill spiral"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Great people to work with if not in management, catered lunch every other Friday, beer every Friday afternoon, team lunches, snacks for the late afternoon or early morning, morning crew breakfast, ping pong table and social events every other week like movie or game night.

Cons

IT Management consists of people that are baked in and comfortable at their job. They don't care about the engineers or about their careers. There is no formal training given or encouraged - you have to be proactive to learn on your own. With the new CIO, the mentality is that you are replaceable by consultants unless you are in management or enterprise architect. Consultants are brought in for quick wins instead of helping to staff a team. Some teams consist of one or two engineers doing the work for four people while other teams have six people doing the work of two. Favoritism is rampant like consultant being brought on full time and promoted to director or senior engineer promoted to enterprise architect. Decision on what technology to use keeps changing. Management cannot support or stick to one decision which in turn wastes company money and time.

Advice to Management

Focus on career path and training first to keep your talent. Don't depend on consultants for your quick wins. Change senior and executive management - they have been there too long and out of touch with technology. Six enterprise architects for one company is way too much - nothing will be agreed on. Raise the salary cap to compensate for cost of living to bring in more talented people - investing in the future instead of paying twice as much for consultants. Decide on what technology to use and stick with it. Make sure business stakeholders understand what is changing so they won't be disrupted.

Jul 16, 2015 – HR Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review- feedback such as yours provides us with invaluable insight and perspective. As our organization continues to grow and evolve, we are committed to... More

"Completely outdated technology platform found matching outdated new CIO"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- HR department working hard to change company’s culture, but no-one is taking it seriously including new CIO.
    - Friday lunch and beer
    - Ping pong table
    - Happy hours

Cons

- IT Management team is out of touch with reality.
    - Clueless senior IT leadership team and outdated CIO must catch up with modern IT world. Leadership is not about being in charge. Leadership is about taking care of those in your charge.
    - Lack of direction and keep changing priorities.
    - CIO mindset is consultants are going to fix all problems.
    - His actions and words don’t match.
    - No career development plan and employees has started to jump off the sinking ship.
    - Lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Company’s needs to change the way they manage and lead to match the way that modern humans actually work and live. The more you trust others to do their job, the better you will do yours. IT Management needs to treat their employees like potential superheroes instead of like cogs in a machine.

"Chaotic Frat Party"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, catered lunch every other friday for the IT team.

Cons

This work culture is the absolute worse that I have ever been in. 700+ people in the office, you don't know anyone, constantly seeing new faces. You feel like a number. It is rows upon rows of people on phones. The IT department is comprised of several teams that don't seem to work together at all, everything feels isolated.

The noise. It is extremely loud because people are just constantly talking. How the hell can anyone concentrate in an environment like this? I have to periodically step out of the office for at least 20 minutes to just get some quiet time or else I'd go insane. Picture sitting in a massive high school/college cafeteria that is full, and everyone is talking at once, you are in the middle of it trying to do your work. It is absolute chaos.

No one is willing to help you. You have to figure out everything on your own. The manager of your team doesn't even bother checking in on you. I spent the first 2 weeks at this company trying to fix my computer and get it set up, because the help desk, or whoever sets up the computers didn't bother. I received a new hire setup packet and was left alone. The documentation was outdated and the links didn't even work. Any attempt to get help resulted in someone telling me they didn't know, or trying to walk away so they didn't have to help.

A lot of people were laid off last week in the IT department. I think one of the people was here for 10+ years. This is how they respect employee loyalty, by telling them they don't need them anymore and to get out.

Terrible benefit package. Extremely high insurance premiums. The 401k match is a complete joke. They put in 25% of whatever you put in up to 6%. That means if you put in 6%, they put in 1.5%. That is terrible. Oh, and the vesting schedule 3 years. You most likely will never see that money.

I am at the point where I am hoping I get a new job soon, or even am let go/laid off myself just so I don't have to deal with the garbage anymore. I don't want to work here, or be here anymore.

Advice to Management

I don't even know what advice to give. This place is horrible.

6. "Account manager"

Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

Pros

Learn to sell, cool office

Cons

Treated awful, low pay, bad mgmt

Advice to Management

stop hiring so often

"Least Professional Company Ever"

Former Employee - Account Executive - Managed Transportation in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive - Managed Transportation in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything here. The building is great, but you are rarely let loose from your desk.

Cons

Poor management.
    Rude employees.
    Smelly carpets.
    Unprofessional greeters/receptionist staff.
    Absolutely no professional attitude during conference calls with clients.
    Horrible tasking - you never know what needs to get done.
    Account managers - if you can tell me what they do then you are smarter than me... what a useless position.
    Horrible company!!!

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people straight from college with no idea what the workforce is like. Stop promoting people who are rude, unprofessional, and downright juvenile.

Dec 8, 2015 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t have a positive experience while at Echo. We do not promote or encourage the type of atmosphere that you described. Best of luck in the future.

8. "Cheap company. Horrible benefits. Terrible Management."

Former Employee - Corporate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your position looks good on a resume. You learn how to work in hostile environments.

Cons

If you're good at office politics and ping-pong then this is the place for you. If you want to make money and grow your career.. RUN!

Advice to Management

Just because you can sell doesn't make you a manager. It's time for many of you to work at other companies and get some experience.

Dec 16, 2015 – HR Representative

Thank you for writing a review. Our culture and work environment are a priority across all of our office locations. Wishing you the best of luck in your future career.

"Unfocused Management"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Free food every two weeks for IT.

Cons

Extremely poor management.
    Poor leadership
    Poor business decisions.
    Horrible pay

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO.

Dec 31, 2015 – HR Representative

Thank you for the feedback. Wishing you the best of luck in your future career.

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

You have a job? Nothing.

Cons

If you are fresh out of college, didn't get good grades and want to learn absolutely nothing come to echo.

Advice to Management

be realistic, and stop lying it is the reason you have one of the highest turnover rates in the industry.

Feb 17, 2016 – HR Representative

Thanks for your review. I am sorry to hear that this position wasn’t the right fit for you, the logistics industry is very fast-paced and demanding and is not right for everyone. Wishing you the best... More