Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 46 reviews)

• Over the course of those 6 years I've seen two things remain constant; great people and great culture (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Early start daily and long hours (in 24 reviews)

• Commission structure needs serious adjusting (in 20 reviews)

1. "Manage team of logistics staff"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Good pay for valuable work

Cons

Long hours with the time zones

"Awful"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am positive things are different at the corporate location. Employees seem properly trained there, and often post pics on social websites of the fun things they do there.

Cons

I'm not at corporate. I'm at a satellite site that corporate has never visited. I've been here for years, and had no clue who my HR rep is. After reaching out to corporate for 2 weeks straight, I received a phone call from our HR partner. Despite being told of things that could potentially leave my manager with a misdemeanor, HR still has not made an appearance to our location. We have witnessed top performing sales reps get fired or walk away from our location. HR'S reaponse is that they work for the manager.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. All of them. You could be missing toxic situations. I used to love working for Echo, but have lost faith.

Feb 14, 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review, and want you to know our HR team is here to support all employees across all levels and branches. We realize there are differences between ... More

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics (More than 3 years)

Pros

There really aren't many great reasons to work at this place. They fool you into thinking it's so "cool" but they offer no room for advancement or really any sort of growth opportunity. They try to sell you on the office space and beer Fridays when really they should be selling you on a great career... but they can't because there's no such thing.

Cons

This place is a joke. If you have a chance, steer clear! They admit to underpaying people because they strongly believe that their culture "makes up for it".

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Echo. We do believe that our culture is an excellent reason to join our company, but we offer so much more. Over the past few years we ... More

5. "Great place to grow!"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to move up in the company

Cons

on boarding for new hires could be improved

6. "Opportunity"

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

Opportunity is present and the company was growing.

Cons

Management and technology has room for improvement.

7. "Sales rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As long as you perform and make the company money they won't micro-manage you.

Cons

Lots of politics as far as account distribution and feeding reps big accounts to only glorify them in front of the company. Leads are saturated, company is too big for it's own good now. Only grow via acquisition, not organically.

Advice to Management

Try to help out your sales reps besides trying to micro-manage them. Reward reps and take accountability for in-house failure.

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback! As a sales-driven company, each of our sales reps are given metrics that they are expected to hit each quarter. We encourage each rep to work independently and grow their ... More

"National Account Manager"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make a very good living here if you put in the work the first few years. If you do the right things.....and have luck on you're side there really is unlimited potential in terms of commissions. Once you have an established book of business and make the company consistent GP you have a lot of freedom to sell how you see fit and not get micro-managed.

Cons

It's a competitive industry and you have to adapt to the times. You're going to lose accounts to price, service failures, management changes, and sometimes for no good reason. You need thick skin to roll with the punches and position yourself to make money through the slow times and when the market flips. The only real con is the work can get very repetitive after several years so you have to find a way to make it tolerable and not burn out.

Advice to Management

Continue to advance technology and position the company to have a competitive edge over other 3PLs. Stop the favoritism and spoon feeding reps house accounts or accounts from turnover reps. Too many top "sales reps" who never really sold much. Aside from that, thank you for the great career and the financial opportunities.

"Great work environment, and earning opportunity"

Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great fit, and very little micromanaging takes place. You must be very self motivated and self reliant. There are a ton of resources here, but you have to ask for help if you need it. They are very big on knowledge transfer here. I have vets ask me for my opinion almost as often as I ask for theirs. The money is there if you can master the multi-tasking required to balance a large work load. The commission is not immediately available but they do offer plenty of bonus opportunity for your first 18 months to help get you through to that draw.

Cons

They could be more clear on a few things here. It is pretty common to find someone that doesn't completely understand how they get paid. It likely has a bit to do with the fact that this is a first time job for many recent grads. But it also has a bit to do with there not being much emphasis in training or hiring on explaining the draw and how to earn commission. Again, if you want to know something, you need to ask.

Advice to Management

Keep finding new and exciting ways to motivate your reps, and helping them to grow.

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We appreciate the awesome review! It is great to hear that all levels of sales reps are willing to help one another to achieve success.Commission structures can be complicated, which is why it is ... More

"A place for college kids not adults with lives and families"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yearly raises, bi-annual bonuses, relaxed dress code, 2 company sponsored functions, ok health care plan, 401k matching, ok location, free shuttle to/from train stations, the company itself has good intentions but the ball is dropped, burned and eviscerated by management

Cons

Managed Trans dept - High turnover, extremely micromanaged, no overtime, rampant favoritism, good ol' boys and girls club, no regard for work/life balance, frat culture, not a place for a single parent, no career path and extremely difficult to transition to other rolls. Some mangers routinely "create" new "policies" that take away the company incentives that attract people i.e. a flexible schedule, a lot of criticism but very little support. Also very very little cultural diversity in management for a company this size.

Advice to Management

You will continue to lose good hard working people if the management is 1. Not held to the same standards and rules as every other employee 2. Accountable to a checks and balance system so they can't railroad people 3. Adjust the group thought mentality that everyone here is fresh out of college with no other skills, experiences and responsibilities.

Jan 25, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write this review! We do our best to ensure that our employees have equal opportunity to move up and grow their career by providing transfer opportunities as well as ... More

"Lots of work and stress, little reward"

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back dress code and environment, I like my manager, good pop up lunches that come in the office, free beer on Friday afternoons.

Cons

Very high barriers to making any kind of decent money, very low visibility when prospecting new leads, very high stress not only with the constant pressure to find new customers but dealing with constant issues from lack of support from the company. I'm supposed to be in sales but I find myself doing AR on a daily basis! Echo has the potential to be great but as a public company they put shareholder value before customer and employee satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics and focus on pleasing your customers and employees first and profitability will follow.

Jan 25, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your review! We do understand that Logistics may not be the most “glamorous” industry, which is why we have cultivated a culture where our employees enjoy being at work each day! With the ... More