Echo Global Logistics Reviews | Glassdoor

Echo Global Logistics Reviews

Updated February 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • I enjoy working at Echo it is a very Comfortable and Friendly work environment (in 44 reviews)

• Over the course of those 6 years I've seen two things remain constant; great people and great culture (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Early start daily and long hours (in 20 reviews)

• Commission structure needs serious adjusting (in 18 reviews)

1. "Want support and growth? Then work for ECHO"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've been in this industry for 3 years, and I got my start working for one of ECHO's top competitors in my first years. I've only been working at ECHO for the past 6 mos, but I've learned more in that time that I did in the entire 2 years working for their competitor. Transportation & Logistics is no cup of tea, but ECHO really lives up to it motto "Transportation Simplified." My managers are always willing to help, and they provide extensive training and learning opportunities. ECHO really values the employees and that is great when working for such a huge company! I love this place!

Cons

Your days are what you make them. If you come in early and get on the phones and hustle then you'll do great. However; if you sit and post on FB all day then, this isn't the career path for you.

2. "Huge Opportunity, Time to Work Hard & Hustle"

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

- Fun company culture/atmosphere
    - Honest about time to begin making significant commissions
    - Decent base salary that never drops or goes away
    - Mentor/mentee program to help you grow your sales and industry knowledge/improve overall
    - Ton of opportunity
    - It's very evident that they really work to live the values they espouse

Cons

- 3PL is a highly saturated market, so be prepared to put in some long hours, hard work and deal with a lot of rejection

Advice to Management

- Keep building upon your internal training material on The Hub, the sound recording quality of the podcast is pretty great, but some of the video content I've seen is pretty difficult to hear. I would highly recommend creating some internal educational videos like those on the FightMediocrity youtube channel. Combines visual and auditory learning methods really well and I think this would really benefit the training process.

3. "Account Executive"

Pros

Great young, fun company with lots of training and room for advancement.

Cons

Stressful situations, need lots of critical thinking.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote within

"Feel the Appreciation"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no shortage of education. It's a great company to work for if you're new to the logistics industry. The investment in their people is obvious. The expectations are laid out and there is never a question of what you're supposed to be doing of what to what level you are performing. The appreciation I feel at Echo is second to none!

Cons

The job can seem overwhelming at first, especially if you're new to the industry. There are a lot of moving parts and it's easy to get lost in the mix. Management is always around to help and keep you afloat, but the expectation is to learn and grow form your experiences.

Advice to Management

Stay open with communication. Constructive criticism is a must in order to gain a handle on the tasks. Always celebrate the wins, no matter how small.

"Great First Job"

Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Brand new LARGE 2nd floor facility at 600 W Chicago Ave in River North, Chicago
    -Recently merged with Command Transportation - now move ~3500 truckloads daily
    -Top three logistics companies in the industry
    -Salary + Commission compensation structure
    -Competitive, fast-paced working environment
    -Easy access to CTA and Metra

Cons

-Early start daily and long hours
    -Stressful situations arise daily
    -Must be good at handling rejection/enabling critical thinking
    -Relatively high turnover in logistics industry--must be persistent in sales role

Advice to Management

Make more effort to make connect with charitable/volunteering causes

7. "Little to no room for growth"

Pros

Decent company if you want to work in logistics, decent benefits package

Cons

Poor management, no room for growth, monotonous work

Advice to Management

Do more to empower your employees for their own career growth, not just for the needs of today.

Echo Global Logistics Response

Nov 2, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback. We encourage career growth at Echo and offer multiple different avenues, ranging from career chats to monthly events to help our employees feel empowered and prepared for the ... More

8. "Good for beginning sales role"

Pros

Thorough training program and day to day responsibilities allows you to learn the logistics industry. It's a grind so you stay busy and the long days seem to fly by. Decent salary and potential to earn well, nice health benefits and 401k program, and young culture if that is what you're looking for. Business casual dress code which is convenient since there is minimal face to face customer interaction.

Cons

Earning potential is only there if you're willing to put in a lot of hours. I booked a great deal of volume and towards the end had consistent commission checks coming in but that began after a year's worth of 10 hour days, out of office work, and weekends. Many of the relationships you build internally and externally will dictate the business you're able to do and how much you're going to make. Very big on office politics and very top down. There is a ceiling but after you grind there is an opportunity to coast while earning 60-75k annually if you don't want to break your back forever.

Advice to Management

Carrier sales should have more freedom to do business with their book as they see fit. Micromanagement in this department is discouraging.

9. "IS - It's a grind"

Pros

Excellent work environment. Management is dedicated to treating their salespeople well. You gain more and more individual freedom as your career evolves.

Cons

Stress and grind. The natural stress of the transportation industry coupled with the grind of constantly cold calling creates a very intense, very stressful work experience.

Advice to Management

Entry level salary and commission structure could be restructured since it takes time to make commission above your draw.

10. "account executive"

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time

Pros

fun place to work, opportunity to make a lot of money

Cons

kept in the dark with a lot of changes after buy out of Command Transportation

Echo Global Logistics Response

Nov 2, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for the review! The Echo/Command integration is finally complete, and we are all operating under one roof. We recognize there can be adjustments and “growing pains” with any acquisition ... More

"Carrier Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was reading some of these reviews and wanted to call attention to how wrong some of them are. This is an excellent company to work for, especially for young college grads looking to make more than majority of their friends.

The culture is filled with people eager to work hard, put in their dues & be rewarded for it. It is a grind most of the time but it doesn't shy away from big rewards. This job is entirely what you put into it. If you're able to maintain solid relationships with both carriers & clients, not wanting your typical desk job, and looking to pass the time than there is a great chance this job would benefit you. No, you're not handed carriers on a silver platter and yes, at times management makes you figure out your own issues before cradling you with an answer but I think that is why it is a great jumping off point. Echo gives you a lot of the tools to get started but for the most part, you're entire book of business is what you do with them. I have seen new reps come in hungry and give senior reps a run for their money, I see it every single day. This job is a job to pursue if you're coming right out of college looking to put in the time and be rewarded for it. Yes, you will have to put in some effort though.

I believe our CEO has made it his mission to take care of his employee's. I've had the privilege of meeting with Doug on a couple different locations and he is someone whose footsteps you want to follow in.

Cons

A lack of appreciation for the hours logged and effort put forth

Advice to Management

Showing a little appreciation goes along way.