Cover image for Echo Global Logistics

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Echo Global Logistics Employee Reviews about "echo"

Updated Sep 29, 2021

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "low pay and commission seems to be a pipe dream.(in 48 reviews)
  • "Long hours and very repetitive(in 42 reviews)
  • "It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to hit commission.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Base salary is low, but they claim you're 'salaried up to 40 hours' and then you will be paid OT.(in 20 reviews)
  • "Sales side is difficult, long hours for carrier reps, not much guidance or help because it's competitive.(in 17 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Echo Global Logistics and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "echo"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Great place to work

Mar 27, 2021 - Customer Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Training, management, atmosphere, advancement, professional development

Cons

The only con to Echo is the Salary

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

How do you expect us to live....

Sep 29, 2021 - Trans Account Executive in Long Beach, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Echo Global is actually a very positive and inclusive space for all employees and I don't have any major issues with it. The benefits are great and you get 4 quarterly bonuses a year....

Cons

Now when I took this position I took it under the pretense that although I wasn't going to be making a lot of money, I would be safe working from home during the pandemic and that the 4 quarterly bonuses would help balance out my yearly compensation. My first bonus was barely $250 and I'm constantly pinching pennies every month because the pay is so low. I was oversold on this job by HR and my bank account is suffering because of it. Echo assigns you way too much responsibility for such little pay. I'm currently looking for other employment as we speak because I can't live on the yearly salary.

3. 3.0

Is what it is

Mar 11, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of the people in the ops department are pretty fresh out of college/in their mid 20's. Any type of college degree can land you a space on the ops team - (this is effectively a kind of glorified customer support position) and it can give people an opportunity to get some good work experience & exposure to supply chains. It's a grind, but at this entry level role on the operations side, there's no taking work home. A lot of us worked this job while we took classes towards other things at night, and Echo afforded us the opportunity to do that while earning a living wage & having health insurance etc.

Cons

Logistics can be a pretty contentious business with a high turnover rate - a lot of people get burned out. This isn't specific to Echo, but large brokerages including Echo have a staffing model for their ops department of 'churn & burn'. It makes more sense for them to just take lots of people who don't necessarily have the background to get into a lot of more competitive business settings, invest heavily in a well planned training program, and work them like crazy for 6 months when most of them will have left (I was the only one of my training team of 9 there after 6 months). This isn't to trash the company, but as the headline says, it is what it is. If you need a place to get started and don't necessarily have a ton of business skills & experience, they will train you, then throw you into it. There's not much opportunity for advancement or significant pay rises, and the reality is as logistics ops you will just be doing a lot of soothing the emotions of angry customers.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

RUN as fast as you can the other direction

Feb 25, 2021 - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Absolutely no pros to this job or company whatsoever

Cons

- Base salary is low, but they claim you're "salaried up to 40 hours" and then you will be paid OT. They neglect to mention that once you're done with training and "mentorship" that OT goes away. I logged OT once on my timecard and my boss came to me and said "you cannot be logging overtime, we work a 9 hour day with a one hour unpaid lunch". Well when you have me doing the job of 3 people then I don't have much choice but to work later or start earlier and I don't work for free. - They make it seem like their benefits are the best in the business. If they're the best, I'd hate to see what the worst looks like. The health insurance is ridiculously expensive, you get 2 plans to choose from and both are overpriced. The 401K match is an absolute joke; they try to make it sound so amazing by saying how they match 25% of your first 4% contributed, NEWSFLASH: anyone who knows basic math knows that means you match 1%. - The commission structure is totally messed up. You have to make over your base salary to get any payout of commission. For example, if you make $3,000 a month in base salary and you make a total of $3,050 in commission one month then you keep the difference so $50. They're changing the commission structure up from what I've heard but I didn't stick around long enough to find out. Knowing Echo, if they're changing something, it's for the benefit of the company and the company only. They don't care about their employees. - They act like the set you up for success by pairing you with a "mentor(s)" for 6 months as part of the mentorship program. Basically it's their excuse to give the top reps in the company administrative support for 6 months without having to hire additional administrative support. During this time, you're expected to do all the tracking and pretty much anything else your mentor asks you to do. Also, quite often you're your mentors out of office contact when they're out on vacation. They also expect you to book your mentor's carriers as much as possible, so you're building their book of business and taking away valuable time that could be spent building your own book of business. -I've been called multiple times on weekends or PTO days with questions. When I didn't answer, management got mad and said I had to be "more responsive". When I am using PTO or I've already worked my full week then that means I am off the clock and don't have to answer to you, nor will I. Overall, this company is like a pyramid scheme, the tops reps that have been around since the beginning make great money (good for them) but any new rep coming in is basically working for nothing. So save your time and go work elsewhere.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Team

Thank you for your thoughts here. We know that the sales roles can be competitive, and that it does take a lot of work to build your personal book. And you’re right on in helping your mentor in helping them book their carriers, we’ve found that that significantly helps new reps learn how to create relationships with carriers on their own, as well as gives them insight into one particular book of business and how to run specific lanes - making it easier to succeed! Echo is definitely a place that supports and encourages hands on learning, and sounds like you had already broken through to commission and that can be the hardest part! It also sounds like you have left Echo already which is disappointing, we would have encouraged you to stick with it just a little longer, as we know the first year can be the hardest while you are learning and also challenged to grow. Best of luck to you!

5. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Echo Global Logistics Review

Feb 10, 2020 - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

young, friendly company culture! They treat you like real employees, not just interns

Cons

I really don't have anything bad to say about my experience as an Intern at Echo

6. 1.0

The Most Negative Company I've ever Worked For

Jan 22, 2020 - Database Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Good projects and technology if you're a "chosen" employee * Maybe good for entry-level, early career, candidates

Cons

I've never been so relieved to move on from a job as I was when I left Echo. Here are a few observations: * Favorite employees are given the best projects * Lots of extra hours/after hours work without comp time or any sort of appreciation. * Middle management is petty and focused on the negative. Employees are punished for very small issues (being a few minutes late occasionally despite working nights and weekends without comp time, for example), and they aren't rewarded for successes. * Salaries/bonuses not in line with the commitment and responsibility that is asked of employees. The moment I left Echo I got a 25% raise and and 25+% fewer hours. * Location is terrible * Middle management does not listen to employee concerns about project pace, setbacks, and subsequent burnout. They pressure for results at any cost and any small issues are painted as personal failures. * Many issues are not discussed as they occur but instead are saved to be thrown in your face months later during your review when there is no way to fix the issue or explain why things happened the way they did. * Most employees are overworked, underpaid, bitter, and miserable. Those who are not are "chosen" and are constant reminders of management's favoritism. People who succeed at Echo are constantly working and online. They have no life outside of work . They crave the validation of a boss/mentor figure. They drink the TEAM Kool-aid and don't see how much the team takes and how little it gives.

6 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

An "ok" starter job

Oct 10, 2019 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hours are flexible based on accounts. Lunch catered every so often. Management truly pushes you for growth and cares about their team members.

Cons

Most companies offer some time of work from home option and Echo does not. This will eventually be a make or break for a lot of employees. Not competitive pay rates, and definitely paid under market. Benefits also aren't great.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A good company, difficult industry

Sep 10, 2019 - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good company culture, great training program

Cons

Difficult industry (especially currently) to break into, but Echo does a solid job of helping you build your book

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! In a competitive industry, we know we have to #WorkHardandHustle! We're very proud of the training program and continued support that we offer our team members (#CarrytheLoadTogether!). Thanks again for your feedback!

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Starter Job & Intro to Sales

Aug 19, 2019 - Client Sales Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are willing to dedicate yourself fully for 1-1.5 years to build the base to a solid book of business you can make very good money for someone just out of college. Culture is very lax.. you can wear a hat, jeans and a tshirt.

Cons

Industry is totally saturated making selling in it pretty cut throat and oftentimes demoralizing. Echo will likely be absorbed by a larger transportation company and will lose its culture that is already dwindling. Benefits are pretty bad. Lastly, this is a dying industry.. automation for transportation departments and trucks themselves are the future.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee

Good job if you want to collect 40k base.

Apr 2, 2019 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free coffee about it. Also they allow you to do whatever you want.

Cons

Omg where to begin. Management doesn’t care. Favoritism. You can’t call on leads with over 250k revenue unless you’re a national rep. Every big company is already taken by a senior rep. The office is split between the command side and the echo side. The company makes it near impossible to reach commission. Not a place to work if you really want to make money. On the up side they don’t fire here so if you was a job to screw around at here’s the place!

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Team

Thank you for your feedback! We understand that the previous acquisition had some bumps in the way we operated (that can be typical when you grow as fast as we do!!). Since the acquisition, we’ve redesigned the way we operate from the top down, integrating our teams as #OneEcho. We’ve also adjusted how our reps work and the clients they can call on. While we do not have a $250k threshold, we do define our pipeline to ensure experienced sales reps are pursuing the largest opportunities while also investing significantly in our newer reps’ careers (through training, coaching and mentoring) to ensure they achieve national rep status as quickly as possible. In addition, our new commission plan shows our commitment to our new reps and their need to earn variable comp on their first day on the floor! Thanks again for your feedback – we think we’ve made significant progress and we’re sorry you weren’t able to experience it!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 103 Reviews
</>Embed

Popular Careers with Echo Global Logistics Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Echo Global Logistics? Share Your Experiences

Echo Global Logistics Careers

Cover image for Echo Global Logistics

Take a look at the future of logistics... take a look at Echo. Driven, energetic and motivated – the Echo team is made of like minded...More

• Benefits
  • Life at Echo
  • Training & Development
  • Technology

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

352 days ago

Company News
- Echo will become a private company with additional resources and greater flexibility to continue to build its technology and data science platform and enhance its value proposition to shippers and carriers - The transaction has received the unanimous approval of Echo's Board of Directors, which recommended that Echo's stockholders approve the transaction Echo Global Logistics, Inc. (Nasdaq: ECHO) ("Echo"), a leading provider of technology-enabled transportation and supply chain management services, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by funds managed by The Jordan Company, L.P. ("TJC"), a global private equity firm, for an equity value of approximately $1.3 billion. Through this transaction, Echo will become a private company which it expects will provide additional resources and greater flexibility to continue to build its technology and data science platform and enhance its value proposition to shippers and carriers.
Shared image - Echo Global Logistics enters into Definitive Merger Agreement to be acquired by The Jordan Company for $48.25 per share in cash
ir.echo.com

357 days ago

Company News
Echo Global Logistics, Inc. (NASDAQ: ECHO), a leading provider of technology-enabled transportation management services, announced today that the company has been named one of Chicago's Best and Brightest Companies to Work For®. This is the eighth year Echo has earned this honor from the National Association for Business Resources (NABR). Every year, companies throughout the greater Chicago region compete to be named one of the top workplaces in the city, and only a few receive this honor. "We're proud to be recognized as one of Chicago's Best and Brightest Companies to Work For once again," said Doug Waggoner, Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer at Echo. "We invest in our people by providing them with ongoing training and career development and by giving them the tools and technology they need to succeed. These are just some of the many ways we distinguish our company as an employer of choice."
Shared image - Echo Global Logistics Named One of Chicago's Best and Brightest Companies to Work For®
ir.echo.com

Echo Global Logistics Photos

+ Add Photo
Echo Global Logistics photo of: Echo is proud of our great culture and office space!
Echo Global Logistics photo of: Giving back!
Echo Global Logistics photo of: Case Corporate Challenge
Echo Global Logistics photo of: Sales Floor
Echo Global Logistics photo of: Our people make us the best
Echo Global Logistics photo of: The Hub
Echo Global Logistics photo of: Collaboration is key.

Expert Career Advice

Total Quality Logistics

3.5

5,248 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 1,147 Echo Global Logistics reviews submitted anonymously by Echo Global Logistics employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Echo Global Logistics is right for you.