EchoStar Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
EchoStar President, CEO, and Director Michael T. Dugan
Michael T. Dugan

Pros
  • Work life balance, people, decent pay (in 24 reviews)

• Decent insurance, great work environment, great management at the department level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not really care for the smaller employees (in 22 reviews)

• Little bit better health benefits (in 16 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer III"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Denver, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great HR. The HR is the best compared to all the outside companies i have worked for. Sponsor citizenship if needed.
    Innovation days , Summer splash , Halloween party and christmas party are great.

Cons

Upper management does not really care for the smaller employees.
    Test engineer with good degree are treated as trash

Little bit better health benefits.
    More cash bonuses would be good for employees who have worked really hard.

Advice to Management

Recognise employees on a timely manner

2. "Money Hungry CEO"

Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training team is very supportive of each other and TSR/CSRs.

Cons

The policies were unclear in the beginning. As a trainer we were told by corporate management to say agents were required to show up 15 mins before start of shift, but only got paid as soon as they logged on to the phones.

3. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of Opportunity as target market for core product offering is changing

Cons

Outdated chain of command with everyone looking to protect the dying status quo

Advice to Management

1. Deal with reality
    2. Communicate vision and strategy to work force

"Not bad, Not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is very easy to talk to and work with. There have been times where I needed time off or to adjust my schedule for school or personal sometimes that day and management was happy to help as long as there was minimum coverage. The employees on the shifts are great. they will help and teach. The work is good. When I did not want to be around a desk I can be outside and when I do not what to be outside I can be at my desk. Most of the supervises are great. They do not micro manage.

Cons

Promotions are garbage.
    Pay is not the best or the benefits Even the president said this during a meeting with him.
    Ter 3 for the most part thinks they are above everyone else and makes it known. Management does nothing to solve this problem.
    There is no training.
    No career advancement.
    Change shifts

"Looks good from afar, but far from good."

Former Employee - Engineer II in Cheyenne, WY
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Cheyenne, WY

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

EchoStar provides a good opportunity to show up to work each day, and take home a paycheck every couple weeks. Every now and then you may have the opportunity to work on an interesting project, but for the most part the work is the same, day after day.

Cons

Management is a good ole boy network, and because of that, there isn't any room for growth. Benefits have gotten to be way too expensive. The premiums have stayed roughly the same, but the deductible keeps going up.

Advice to Management

Read these reviews. If you want to make positive changes, the advice is in the complaints.

"Great technology field, bad leadership and policies."

Current Employee - Engineer I in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The technology and industry is wonderful, the work environment is decent enough but primarily ex-military. That said the general operations work is not bad.

Cons

Annual merit reviews are based on an antiquated and demotivating ranked and curve system. Workers are pre-ranked regardless of performance. Then for every success there has to be a failure. Then annual raises are limited to 1% or less.

Managers are not leaders, promotions are saved for those who can talk and get noticed, rather than leadership ability, experience, and tenure. As most managers are ex-military, most of them tend to worry about how they look to upper officials rather than caring about those they manage.

Wages are about $5 to $10 thousand annual below the industry and local standards for non-manager positions.

While education is subtly encouraged, it plays no relevance in the work place. In fact those with no degrees are often placed in higher positions above those with degrees.

Old antiquated and unserviceable systems and equipment are still in use.

The technology field is great, but VERY limit if looking outside Echstar.

Advice to Management

First, learn to be leaders, not just managers. That includes actually caring for those you manage.

Second, Re-haul the merit system to something more fair and motivational rather than punitive.

Third, provide more (if any) career advancement programs, opportunities, and incentives.

These are just a few ideas to start.

8. "Management needs to change"

Former Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some freedom in schedule and good amount of test equipment.

Cons

Management will not change with the times, only hear criticisms from upper management no praise for good work, company drive itself into the ground and had to layoff good workers and merge with Dish to stay alive. Just really poor management.

Advice to Management

Leave, if you won't change, the company will keep losing money.

"Politics at its finest"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager and team were great. I was able to learn able new skills, and assist them throughout our greater team.

Cons

Unfortunately we were part of the group that was part of the group that was sold as part of a merger event.

Company communication is lacking. The installed messenger that is used throughout the company is Microsoft office communicator. The logging and chat history is turned off by the IT administrators. This makes it difficult in case the message that you need to refer to was in a window you accidentally closed.

Software releases are deployed without regard for support staff being available after it was released.

Projects and talent was treated with a lack of proper respect. Several key employees that are critical for team success left the company due to not listening to employee suggestions.

As far as team IT infrastructure we were several years behind the curve from other companies I have worked for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The top (beyond director level) does not seem to listen to their employees. (even on several exit interviews, I have heard the response of "we know") are hiring talented people to support your mission. Allow them to help you achieve that mission.)

Hire project managers that know how to work with technical projects.

Be willing to spend money on the right things. (Spending money on an external project to replace an existing internal project for a

Do not develop code on production. (Apparently this comes as a surprise to several of the developers I have run into).

There was an adversarial relationship between teams especially the testing group and the engineering group (because the VPs in charge don't like each other).

Improve your IT infrastructure (your internal/external network connectivity drops packets like it's nobody's business).

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in American Fork, UT

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are a decent company to work for

Cons

They don't seem to care that Utah has lots of places that are willing to pay more money than them.

Advice to Management

Consider putting more money into your Utah employees. It is a competitive market right now, you have lost people because your pay and benefits are less competitive.

11. "Better than a lot of places."

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Englewood, CO

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance, people, decent pay.

Cons

Organizational. Some people had a lot to do, some none. And managers always seemed pretty oblivious to that. A lot of no integrity employees were able do do very little real work.

Advice to Management

Organize.