Eckerd Youth Alternatives Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Dennis

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management turns a blind eye to many issues and continues to collect inflated salaries (in 4 reviews)

• Leadership yelled or spoke down to employees creating a hostile work environment (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sr. Tech Support"

Former Employee - IT Support Technician in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - IT Support Technician in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Eckerd Youth Alternatives (More than a year)

Pros

There were only 4 of us in Dept. so we were able to all aspects of Support.

Cons

Having only 4 people in Dept. Created havoc at times.

2. "Do Not Work At The OKC Location"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Eckerd Youth Alternatives part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very few, flexible hours, nice co-workers

Cons

The "director" created a hostile work environment. Lied about when they would allow me to move to a full-time position

Advice to Management

Spend more time in your branch offices so directors like the one in OKC are held accountable for treating employees badly.

"Counselor"

Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Boomer, NC
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Boomer, NC

I worked at Eckerd Youth Alternatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Counseling the adolescents and watching them grow their self-confidence as I taught them self-love and self-acceptance was a wonderful, cathartic experience.

Cons

Management would not allow use of therapeutic restraint after DJJ directed the org. not to use them due to high reporting of restraints. Restraint is necessary when clients are physically violent. A senior counselor began to use unauthorized restraints in an abusive way since restraints were no longer being reported to DJJ. Another counselor reporter two counts of abuse to management. The outcome was that management swept the abuse under the rug and tried to placate the counselor so that DJJ wouldn't be notified. The counselor found out that this particular organization had been shut down and under investigation a previous time. Another report was sent to DJJ. Another problem is that management allows volatile clients to be graduated so that the success rate will stay high enough to continue receiving government funding.

Advice to Management

Hire counselors with degrees in psychology and experience in actual counseling. Stop abusing your position of authority. Make decisions with integrity. If you are not able to meet the mental health needs of volatile clients then send them out of the program where they can get help tailored to their specific mental health needs.

5. "Senior Counselor"

Former Employee - Senior Counselor in Brooksville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Counselor in Brooksville, FL

I worked at Eckerd Youth Alternatives (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed helping and encouraging the youths

Cons

I didn't like the fact of the blue dot mandatory hold over.

6. "Tough transition, but awesome experience."

Former Employee - Jack of All Trades in Brooksville, FL
    Former Employee - Jack of All Trades in Brooksville, FL

Pros

Living in the woods, really making an impact, trips, getting paid to play games! Hard work, but good hard work

Cons

People complained about hours when you really knew what you were getting into. Executive Leadership unappreciative of staff and quite arrogant.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. Follow Chief Jack's example and treat the Chief as the most important person in the life of a child. Experience the youth-chief relationship as it is life-changing.

"Too many chiefs."

Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Eckerd Youth Alternatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for kids and families is incredibly rewarding. The purpose of the organization is good but just because it's we believe in the mission doesn't mean you need to abuse employees.

Cons

Have you seen the pay? The CEO makes more than most for profit companies. And the bottom staff? The ones that can't get overtime but work round the clock and always on call? We can barely eat.

And they say we are data driven but everyone makes up the data so we don't get yelled at. Red measures mean everyone gets yelled at. It's not about the kids it's about green measures and more business.

Advice to Management

Stop growing and fix what you have. Don't staff programs so that no one can ever take a vacation while saying we should have work life balance. Pay people for all the experience and advanced degrees required to work for you.

"Probation Officer"

Former Employee - Re-Entry Counselor/Juvenile Probation Officer in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Eckerd Youth Alternatives (More than a year)

Pros

Its a growing company, flexible schedule.

Cons

Low pay for the required work.

Advice to Management

NA

"Poor program"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kissimmee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kissimmee, FL

Pros

Concept is good but will not work with only words and no consequences for not following instructions.

Cons

The kids run the place not the staff. There are no consequences or punishment for starting fights or defying staff. The kids do what they want, when they want.

Advice to Management

Make the kids responsible for what they do and stop coddling them.

"Youth Counselor Perspective"

Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Kernersville, NC
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Kernersville, NC

I worked at Eckerd Youth Alternatives (Less than a year)

Pros

Can learn a lot. There is some training. You can develop as a worker if you're up for the challenge. The relationships you build with the clients have an impact.

Cons

Not enough staff or support

Advice to Management

Get fully staffed and train all employees on program components so that clients can actually receive care and therapeutic treatment.

"Personal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Flexibility and working from home.

Cons

Getting youth to buy-in to new program.