Eclipse Translations Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Stuart Carter
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great colleagues, very poor management"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alnwick, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alnwick, England (UK)

I have been working at Eclipse Translations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Small business environment so generally friendly, easy to make good friends unlike in the larger companies I have worked for
    - Kind and helpful colleagues, apart from management
    - The Office Manager in Alnwick is fantastic, she organises some great events for charity and makes the place much more fun and lively
    - Northumberland location is great as it is a beautiful county
    - Good place to start a career as it boosts your CV
    - Good work/life balance (on this point I disagree with the other reviewer as I mostly didn't feel pressured to work overtime.. I agree with the other reviewer on all other points)

Despite the negatives, I look back with fond memories of the time spent with some really amazing colleagues. However this review focuses on how well the company is managed and what it offers to its employees, with this in mind I cannot give higher than 1 star.

From my experience I would say, if you are looking for a longer-term employment and a place which can offer you true professional growth, you will need to look elsewhere.

Cons

- High turnover for such a small company
    - Very low salaries with few if any meaningful increases
    - Almost no prospect of promotion regardless of performance
    - No commission scheme for those in sales roles (the Project Managers)
    - The biggest con is management. They are utterly incompetent and very very poor people managers. Having since worked in different offices under various managers, Eclipse has the worst management I have seen. Their biggest mistake is becoming defensive when positive suggestions are made from their employees. Most of the management team have been at the company for 10+ years leading to a stagnant, regressive approach.
    - Often an incredible level of micro-management and very little empowerment of the Project Managers
    - Not valued as an employee, a big focus on what is not done right with no reward for good work.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees' suggestions without becoming defensive and saying "We have always done it this way so why change" (yes, I was once told this by a manager)
    - Recognise and reward good work rather than punishing mistakes
    - Stop viewing employees as a conveyor of low-paid graduates and recognise the importance of talent retention to create a positive brand for your clients, least of all to turn your employees into brand ambassadors.
    - Interface more with the parent company and if possible implement a promotions process to offer career progression
    - For Project Managers create a fair commissions scheme to reward good work (may need to be done on a team basis due to diverse client distributions across the PM team)
    - Stop micro-managing the Project Managers and delegate more power to them to allow them to steer BAU decision making. This will make the company more agile and better able to meet customer requests, it will also create more autonomy, increase job satisfaction and drive more value from daily meetings between management and staff.
    - Do everything possible to promote a positive atmosphere in the offices, which are after all very small and close-knit. In a company this size it is crucial to keep things friendly and avoid a long-term tense atmosphere. VALUE the people who actively strive to make the company a nice place to work!
    - ASK FOR FEEDBACK from your employees and listen carefully to the feedback you receive. Work for them not against them.

Ultimately I enjoyed my time at Eclipse and I want more than anything to see it succeed and evolve into a great company which knows how to attract and retain talented employees. During my time working there, I did not see any progress towards this.

2. "One to avoid if possible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alnwick, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alnwick, England (UK)

I worked at Eclipse Translations full-time

Pros

- A really nice group of co-workers, sense of all being in the same boat
    - Starting salary is reasonably fair
    - Northumberland is a great location and property prices are reasonable
    - The experience looks good on your CV - good introduction to the translation industry

Cons

Very poor management. Discrepancies in pay rises and lack of transparency in management culture. Poor opportunities for career advancement, with staff being passed over for promotion on a regular basis. Incredibly high turnover rate for such a small company, which HR blame on the difficulty of finding people to come and work in Northumberland. Lost count of the number of people signed off with stress over the years. Staff bring up the same issues time and time again, but are told 'If you don't like the job, you know where the door is'. Unconfirmed but convincing rumours of social media surveillance of staff by HR. Pressure on PMs in particular to work overtime.

Advice to Management

Try and hold on to your long term staff who have been trying their best in difficult circumstances - some positive feedback and/or acknowledgement would go a long way. Seriously rethink management culture, especially in terms of staff confidentiality.