Ecolab Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Ecolab Philadelphia Reviews

Philadelphia, PA

4.6
Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging at times (in 93 reviews)

• On call 24/7 and get TONS of calls (in 54 reviews)

"Great for a motivated person"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can work whenever I want. You basically get a list of things that need done for the month. Sales calls. Service existing customers. Meet your sales number. I can go fishing in the morning and wok later in the day. I can take my kids to the amusement park on a Monday when it's not busy. As long as you keep yourself on track to get your work done you will never have a complaint.

It's all results driven so if you can get the right results working 4 days a week, that's enough.

Cons

It's a big company so that adds a lot of layers. Things that you think should take a few minutes to solve can take multiple emails to multiple people. It's no worse than any other major company but is still a con of working for someone so large.

Advice to Management

I have none. My district manager all the way up to my regional manager has the same opinion. Do the things you are asked to do in your position and we don't care when or how much you work.

"Pokes at your soul and drains any happiness from your life."

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company car, computer, not on a clock

Cons

You work for free 75% of the time. They tell you you are a sales person and pay you a straight commision, but you will spend 12 hours a day fixing dishmachines, plumbing, doing electric, etc.... All for free. If you are married get a lawyer because you will be divorced. If you move up it only gets worse! Benefits get worse every year. On call 24 hours a day Monday through Friday then one weekend a month as well. Managers use scare tactics and threats to get you out selling. The more you give the more they want. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and focus on making things better for the field people. Happy employees WILL SELL MORE!!!!!

"will drain the life out of you"

Current Employee - SSRM Service/Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - SSRM Service/Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company vehicle and fuel card

Cons

Ecolab expects you to work for free. Expect to be asked many times to service customers that are not in your territory, which means taking you away from your own territory, which means you wont make your commisions. Dont dare complain or you'll be branded as "not a team player". Expect to be on call 24/7 (including holidays) to service customers WITH NO COMPENSATION. You will not be paid for any "on call" service calls. YOU WORK FOR FREE! You will expected to cover multiple territorys about every 4th weekend "weekend rotation" and you will not be paid to do it. Management gives no support. If you voice any opinion or complaint to your managment team you will be branded as a "cancer" to the group. Stay away from Ecolab, stay very far away!

Advice to Management

Try putting customers and employees concerns ahead of shareholder concerns

"Don't fall for their sales pitch."

Former Employee - Pest Elimination Service Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Pest Elimination Service Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ecolab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay pretty good after you are there for a few years. Not so good at first.

Cons

Work/life balance, lack of time off, lack of vacation, managers lack of experience. I fell for the hype when decided to take job here. It was absolutely ridiculous. As a night time SVSP they expect you to work from the time you wake up until the time you go to sleep. Managers didn't help me. Just threw me out there, expecting me to figure out what to do, although I had no experience. experience.

Advice to Management

Fire current upper level management in Pest division. From what long time employees in my district told me the pest division has deteriorated significantly over last several years.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - SENIOR SERVICE SPECIALIST, PEST DIVISION in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - SENIOR SERVICE SPECIALIST, PEST DIVISION in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Benefits are actually pretty good. Salary seems reasonable, until you calculate it on an hourly scale. Coworkers mostly a great group. It's just the management that ruins everything.

Cons

Recent management is terrible. I started 9 years ago and was very happy until the last few years. I eventually quit to start my own business, mainly because the management had become so poor.

Managers don't discuss anything with you. They don't want or appreciate any input from the people who are out there doing the actual work. Poor decisions are the result.

Terrible work/life balance. Meager vacation. Always on call, 16 hours per day including weekends and holidays. New management strategy seems to be focused on replacing all the long time employees with new trainees.

Employee morale is at an all time low and is getting worse by the day.

"Once a good company, being harmed by incompetent management."

Current Employee - SENIOR SERVICE SPECIALIST, PEST DIVISION in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - SENIOR SERVICE SPECIALIST, PEST DIVISION in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Salary and benefits quite good. Still one of the better commercial pest control companies to work for.

Cons

No real paid vacation. Poor balance of family life and work. Lousy management. Depressing place to work over the last year or so.

Advice to Management

Stop ruining the company with poor decisions and planning. Concentrate on providing service to customers. That is what made Ecolab Pest the premiere commercial pest control company in the past. Unfortunately it seems to be a low priority now.

7. "Focus on installs or focus on sales."

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

You will have the ability to schedule your day. If you need to go to the doctor or PTA meeting its flexable. If you have never done route sales/service, it's a good way to learn a lot FAST. You will learn how to be the owner of a business minue the reward of salary increases.

Cons

Too much work for one person. You will need to have monthly reports, weekly reports and daily check-in on your numbers. You are expected to stay at 100% call coverage, 100% new account sales, 100% collection calls because the products cost too much, 100% new account installs, 100% no-returns, 100% budget which means selling customers what they don't need to meet the quotas.

You are on call 24/7, and if your not in a social click you will find it hard to take more than one day off work.

The company is very sales focused without formal sales training. The dynamics are not in your favor unless you enjoy doing repairs every day. Most of the repairs are learn as you go. You are expected to repair dishmachines and sale two new accounts per month. You must sales the accounts, install the accounts and service the accounts. You make 6% of every dollar sold. You may sale an item that cost $300 and for that item you will make $18.00 and you will spend two hours in the account doing your normal job and then installing the item.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining the business you have and change the business model. Focus on installs or focus on sales. You create service people when you really what sales people. You need to increase the commission plan to 10% profit across the board.