Ecolab Reviews | Glassdoor

Ecolab Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Ecolab has a ver good work life balance in the (in 39 reviews)

• Most positions come with a company vehicle (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge if you don't insist on right balance yourself (in 86 reviews)

• On call 24/7 and expected to work that much (in 53 reviews)

1. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, company car stock & 401k

Cons

Expected to sacrifice family time for the company. They do not take care of there people and you hardly find management that actually cares. In my current district we went from a manager who cared about his employees and helped us succeed to a complete jerk!! This guy doesn't know how to manage, lies, NO COMMUNICATION at all. you would reach out to him for clarification or help with something and get no response from him for days or maybe not at all. He in return would expect you to respond within an hour, but he couldn't do it himself. I personally have gone to my area manager twice because of issues and it would get turned around on me and made to be my fault. When I started this was a great company and now I can't wait to leave. Everything that they have tried to make you do is not in the code of conduct or any other company manual. They make up rules as they go and god forbid you question them. The manager is very confrontational and I have been & witnessed him cussing out an employee. The employee doesn't matter to them anymore

Advice to Management

Change your structure and look at the management you have in place. You put out these videos and talk about going back to old school culture. I don't see it happening until things really start changing with the management you have in pl

"Shareholders > Employee Welfare"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ecolab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall compensation is high if you are willing to sacrifice. CEO was most compensated in industry.

Cons

No work life balance and little support from corporate. No room to advance. On call 24/7 and expected to work that much.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your most important asset not your shareholders.

"Hit the Glass Ceiling with nowhere to go"

Former Employee - Senior Service Specialist Pest Elimination in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Service Specialist Pest Elimination in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Ecolab full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get to make own schedule. Take truck to and from home everyday. Good benefits.

Cons

Micromanaging from the very top of the company all the way down(gotten worse every year), Changed model of compensation from commission to Revenue Per Hour system, They require you to be on call once every couple months where you are basically working for free on other peoples problem accounts that are calling in over the weekend for service. This heavily effects your RPH. I worked my way up to about $70,000 over about 6 years, stayed at that for three years in a row. To go management route required taking a $20,000 pay cut and their sales positions are coveted and always full. There was nowhere else for me to go.

Advice to Management

Change your compensation system so that high performing service specialists are incentivized to go into management. Instead you have some of the weaker or more novice Service Specialists going for the position because pay wise it is either a lateral move or in some instances actually a raise. This creates a management structure comprised or your poorest and weakest performers trying to drive the business, a recipe for failure. As such I never learned anything from or had much respect for any of my managers after about 3 years into the company.

"Different company now"

Former Employee - IT Guy in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - IT Guy in Eagan, MN

I worked at Ecolab (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big. Lots of opportunity they are sustainable

Cons

Culture is all take take take. Work balance has become a running joke

Advice to Management

Bring back the employee satisfaction initiatives and follow thru this time

6. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Agent II in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Agent II in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Ecolab (Less than a year)

Pros

Good training, good management, consistent feedback

Cons

numbers driven, poor growth within company.

"Beware"

Current Employee - Pest Control Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Pest Control Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company Vehicle, Gas Card, Good Benefits, ability to manage your own route.
    You're on your own, out and about all night long... not sitting at a desk somewhere

Cons

Constant turnover rate since they changed the pay scale. It used to be base salary plus commission. Now it's this convoluted revenue per hour scale that has caused almost all pest control technicians to take a $500 to several thousand dollar loss per paycheck. They claimed you would make the same amount of money if you did the same amount of work. Definitely not true

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees and expecting more work out of them while at the same time paying them FAR less than what they used to make.

"Route Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Miami, FL

I worked at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Company vehicle, parts and tools.

Cons

24/7 on call, you will be a installer, a sales manager, a technician, plumber, electrician for one price.

"Not desirable for a new grad"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Ecolab full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New car, new tablet pc, ability to work from home

Cons

There was hardly any work life balance when I worked here. You have equipment and products in your home which take over your space if you don't have a large enough home for it. I took over a territory that had no attention given to it so there were lots of problems and expectations from the customers that were not realistic.

The company is not diverse, I faced some really unique situations while working here and they don't do anything to support their new hires once they are given a territory. You are expected to swim in an uncomfortable environment filled with stressful situations. Corporate sales promises that the TM can do anything which puts stress on you when you're called at 10pm at night to come look at their dish machine for service.

There were no training, advancement or collateral duty assignments with this role and you're pretty much stuck until you move up in some way.

Advice to Management

Work on engaging your younger personnel. We like to feel included and apart of the mission. Have some opportunity for us to assist on work groups, projects etc.

"Route Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Route Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Route Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Ecolab full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Somewhat of a flexible schedule, benefits. My fellow workers were always there. Company van but couldn't use for personal use not that I would have because it's decaled.

Cons

Long hours, micromanagement, you will always be in the wrong, good ole boy environment. Dirty work. Management never around except by phone. Lack of training. Just get it done attitude. Long hours with out compensation. No work/home balance. On call 24/7 and rotate weekends on call. Can't take a proper vacation. Must make budget and call commitment even if you take a vacation. Had a death in family and I had to find someone to cover me or couldn't attend funeral. Huge retaliation factor if you go against management. Once you do wrong they start nit picking. If you befriend to right people you can get away with anything. My group had someone with 52 calls a month and ones 80-100. If you don't know the right people you won't get new business. More then happy to tell you did wrong.

Advice to Management

Stop threatening to write someone up over something stupid. Listen to the people on the bottom rung, they are the ones doing all the dirty work. Had a territory of 90-100 customers almost impossible to do in less then a 65-70+ hr work week without the installs. Where's the balance? If compensated for that time it wouldn't have been so bad. Instead of belittling someone show them the right way. A lot of customers do stuff to retaliate because you didn't get there in 15 minutes, but employee is still wrong?

"Hard work"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Destin, FL

I worked at Ecolab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to make your own schedule

Cons

Too many hours, on call 24/7 and extreme high pressure situations and sales. No family or personal life.

Advice to Management

More employees in areas unless you increase pay to make it worth while to work as much as we do.