Econolite Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Doyle

1. "A nice place to work with friendly people."

Pros

I definitely consider my time at Econolite to be a positive experience. As long as you do good work, show up when you are supposed to, and be honest, management will respect you and compensate you fairly.

Cons

Red tape often stops work from getting done, but I guess that happens everywhere.

2. "Econolite is the best company I've ever worked for!!!!"

Former Employee - Senior Applications (Mechanical) Engineer in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications (Mechanical) Engineer in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Econolite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Econolite is without a doubt the best company I've ever worked for!!!! I'm a mechanical engineer and I've had 6 other engineering positions throughout the past decade and Econolite is the best employer I've ever had. The culture there is so laid back, but productive. When a mistake is made people don't even ask who made the mistake, just simply "how do we fix this." The culture trickles down from the owner and president to everyone else. The owner, Mike Doyle, and the president genuinely care about all their employees and they're really big on the work life balance. And the owner is not only one of the nicest people I've ever met, but he's actually a lawyer so he's highly intelligent. They even offer internal programs to help their employees grow into future positions, like management. I've never worked for a company where everyone there was actually happy and not stressed out. But that's the great side effect of not pointing fingers when mistakes are made, I do NOT believe anyone there thinks their job is in jeopardy b/c as long as you show up to work and just try to do good your job is secure. And my direct boss, Ryan Bullock, was extremely nice, easy to get along with, and intelligent. Never once did he micro manage me or make me feel inadequate. As long as I did my work he was happy. And it was convenient having a engineering manager/director that had a background in mechanical ad electrical engineering since I only know mechanical and the product line is mainly electronics.

In final, if you have a chance to work for this company I highly advise you do b/c not only will you be able to achieve something great in the traffic control industry, but you will probably sleep good at night, have plenty of time for outside activities, and just be generally happy and stress-free.

Cons

The only con for me was the drive. I wish I would of just moved closer vs. quitting like I did, but I had personal reasons to stay at my current residence. And even when I quit the owner, president, and my boss were all still very nice and truly wished me the best.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep doing what you're doing.

3. "Interesting Place to work"

Pros

Family Culture, new technology, innovative

Cons

Non-competitive benefits / pay, repetitive work

Advice to Management

Time for new ideas and new people

5. "Fine"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Econolite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty laid-back, everyone seems nice

Cons

Seems like lots of hoops to jump through to get anything done

6. "Great industry for the future"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Econolite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited growth potential for both the industry and your career. Great family environment that encourages self-starters to thrive.

Cons

Long company history has Econolite in somewhat of a home brew status quo. However new CEO will likely improve this.

7. "There are few companies like it anymore"

I have been working at Econolite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Econolite is one of those last few companies that still treats its employees like family members. That by itself makes it very unique. Econolite has its struggles and it's not perfect, but if your attitude is that a career is about doing your best and helping your company to become better, rather than just about getting what you can (money, benefits, etc.) then Econolite is a good company. Econolite is part of a pretty small industry, but it's one of the biggest players in that pond.

Cons

Econolite's building isn't in the great shape. Hopefully there will come a time where the company will upgrade its facilities. The benefits are okay, for a company its size, but bigger companies will have a bigger selection of health plans and stuff.

Advice to Management

Continue to modernize its environment while maintaining its culture.

8. "A Nice Place to Work"

Pros

Founded and established over 80 years ago, it is still a privately held firm where you will find the owner of the company and the COO strolling the halls throughout the office building each morning, welcoming everyone to work and asking them how they’re doing! In addition, the company offers a comparable salary and benefits package, as well as unheard of amenities such as a summer company picnic (for the employee and their family members) and a formal holiday party.

Cons

I don't see any cons. There is nowhere on this earth that is paradise; if you're looking for that, I'm here to tell you that you're not going to find it anywhere in this world. This is work; not play. This is real life; not cartoon time with your mommy as you eat animal crackers. Buck up! It's a tough world. No one owes you anything; you owe yourself the respect and commitment to your life to dedicate yourself to doing the best job you can and not worrying about anyone or anything around you. Period. Entitlement is NOT owed to anyone.

Advice to Management

From senior management keeping the employees constantly updated with news about the company in all aspects, to “lunch and learn” sessions where doctors and nutritional experts host brief seminars, to constant training and mentoring at all levels, an enormous amount of effort is placed on making each employee feel engaged in all we do. In a word, we are respected, for not only what we do for the company, but for who we are in the company. Our own opinion is not only sought; it is considered. Thank you.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Anaheim, CA

Pros

This is a great company to work for with plenty of opportunities to grow. Unfortunately as I'm reading reviews from other people I noticed a review from a former contractor who did not perform as expected and ended up adding bugs to the code, writing very poor quality code, disrespected management and teammates frequently. Don't let that review change the perspective of this company which is doing the correct steps to move forward as a leader in traffic engineering.

There are plenty of opportunities to implement your ideas. Management listens to you to improve their products. Also the company is shifting toward more research and innovation in traffic engineering. The software team and contractors are highly knowledgeable and good team players, and is actively working towards improving the software cycle with new standards, libraries, documentation, integration tests, etc.

Plenty of opportunities to grow your skills and being promoted if you provide good results.

Cons

HR needs to improve benefits, although they already are working to change that.

Advice to Management

Be careful on bringing people on board who are not qualified or good team players.

"Play the games and you get ahead!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA

I worked at Econolite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you learn how to tell senior staff what they want to hear, you get a promotion! You can make mistakes with designs, but as long as you justify your mistakes you're golden. You might even get a new title! Learn the product, know how to design it yourself, not really that important.

Cons

If you actually innovate, do better, improve a department and reduce product costs then it won't really matter. It just really matters what people perceive you as. If they think you have a bad attitude, then well you won't get very far. If they perceive that you're a leader, then well you'll get far.

Advice to Management

Just give up, your company is sinking and probably won't last another 10 years. COO is retiring, CEO is one foot in the grave and you have 15 VPs jostling for power. All your talent has left or will leave soon.

"CEO is weak"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Econolite full-time

Pros

You can't get fired unless you screw up for years beyond belief

Cons

Work force is old and tribal knowledge is how they get by.
    Nepotism at this company is unbearable.
    Your in the minority if you don't have family working here.
    Company is not innovative

Advice to Management

stop waisting money on cal chassis. Company was ran into the ground and is ruined. Hire people to do their job and stop acting like you want to be their friend. You don't.