Edelman Reviews in Dallas, TX | Glassdoor

4.6
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 225 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 148 reviews)

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Edelman has good team culture and great clients that allow interns to learn a lot about the fast-paced environment of an agency and the Pr industry in general.

Cons

You will be expected to work late nights and sometimes even during the weekends, which makes it hard to have time for yourself and family.

Advice to Management

Managers were friendly and approachable

Edelman Response

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. It's great to hear how much you learned and that you had managers you could partner with to make your experience a positive one. I hope your experience of working weekends and... More

"Dysfunctional office, tone deaf corporate leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work with, and learn from, brilliant PR pros throughout the Edelman network - team members from Austin, New York and Seattle are particularly strong.
    - Profit sharing was a nice benefit
    -Good health/dental/vision insurance
    - Company matched 401K contributions

Cons

- Work-life balance is non-existent. The company pays a lot of lip service to the concept, and makes overtures to demonstrate a commitment to women in the workplace, but the day-to-day reality involved a lot of 60+ hour work weeks and constantly staying glued to my phone during off-hours.
    - Salaries - particularly at the junior level (AAE/AE/SAE) - were ridiculously low (much lower than average salaries paid by other DFW agencies). I felt terrible about the amount of work we piled on staff while providing marginal compensation.
    - Promotions are given twice a year, and personal performance plays a small role in determining advancement (it seemed that more emphasis was given to regional revenue/ P&L).
    -Digital expertise in Dallas is almost non-existent; heavy reliance on senior staff in Austin and other offices.
    -Corporate and local leadership don't seem to understand the Dallas market.. The agency has a lengthy track record of churning through general managers every 3-5 years, which resulted in two major bouts of staff turnover during my tenure.

Advice to Management

- Provide competitive salaries to your staff. They work incredibly hard.
    - Bring in local, senior talent to lead the office. Listen to them. What works in Silicon Valley or New York doesn't necessarily work in Dallas.
    - Focus on providing employees with real opportunities for work-life balance (hint: unless staff members are working on a major, time-sensitive campaign or a crisis, the office should be empty by 6:30 p.m.)

3. "Edelman Dallas is"

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership and vision is inspirational. Local leadership has changed a lot the past year for the better as there has been a true commitment to bring in top talent and grow the client base. Top performers are recognized and given the freedom to push their professional boundaries. Just alike all agencies you work hard and you will be rewarded. Great work-life balance and very happy to be here!

Cons

The company is growing quickly, and sometimes challenges are inevitable.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive for greatness, and have high expectations. I have seen the office improve 110% since February 2015 by doing so!!

"Mixed bag..."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big brands, name recognition, solid benefits. Generally speaking, you'll work with people who really know what they are doing.

Cons

When I left, I realized just how mediocre of a place Edelman is. Offices battle with each other over clients and revenue. The various office do little to no sharing of information, skills and resources because of this. Edelman is also a highly matrixed organization, with lots of vertical specialists, but these people infrequently are asked to step out of their comfort zones and try something new. As an organization, Edelman's primary focus is revenue and profit, not client and employee satisfaction or the work. Management frequently promises work to clients that cannot be delivered. Compensation is well below industry standards.

Advice to Management

Truly have one P&L and incentivize teams to find the best talent in the network for their clients not the closest talent in the office. Increase compensation. Senior management are operators, not visionaries. Edelman needs visionaries or it will fall behind places like Golin, FH or some of the ad shops creeping into the space. And Digital, while is may be making money for the firm, is a complete joke of a discipline at Edelman.

5. "Challenging but lacks professionalism and clear focus"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, variety of client work. Smart and creative people not only existed within the larger offices, but also in the smaller regional ones. Colleagues work harder and longer than any other industry. Great company to prove and challenge yourself.

Cons

Lack of professionalism within the office which affected culture, morale, and employee tenure. Compensation was below market average. Although there was flexibility, there was an overload of work that demanded overtime. Leadership waffled on focus and clear direction which was unfortunately driven from higher management.

Advice to Management

Head Leadership must carry the torch and lead in a positive, professional direction without being swayed by other leadership influences or direct reports. Treat colleagues who are hardworking, trustworthy and accountable with respect and appreciation. Believe in your people. Stay on one path, no waffling.

6. "All companies have issues, Edelman just has less than everyone else"

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership vision and values are wonderful. Creativity and forward thinking is encouraged. Edelman strives to stay ahead of the curve through its PR roots. Great avenues around career development.

Cons

Lower on the pay scale compared to comparable companies and job descriptions. Local leadership is not in tune with Global leadership. There is fragmentation between offices (we sometimes don't work as one Edelman).

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Would like to see a bit more focus on smaller offices, and how we can grow them.

7. "Passion, Smarts and Extraordinary Commitment"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm consistently floored by the truly top-notch thinking and results delivered by my colleagues not only in Dallas, but throughout the Edelman network. We share a sense of constructive dissatisfaction, a drive to stretch further and do better - as a result, our work is second to none.

Edelman is home to some of the smartest and nicest PR practitioners in the business. I love that we have a unique culture, and I genuinely trust our leadership. On top of it all, I actually have fun working at Edelman, and laugh more times than I can count in any given day.

Cons

We work incredibly hard, and as a bunch, we have incredibly high expectations. Sometimes that can translate into long days and a fair amount of constructive criticism. To be fair, Edelman isn't for everyone; if you aren't committed and your skills aren't top-notch (writing, time management, etc.), you won't fit in.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on growth, while being judicious about hiring for cultural fit.

8. "My fabulous experience at Edelman"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture, casual dress, awesome clients, amazing co-workers, reputable agency, leading agency, one of the best

Cons

Very large network can sometimes lead to disconnected offices

Advice to Management

Keep plugging away

9. "Pretty Good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Upbeat company culture, senior staff will invest time and resources in you, hard work is recognized and usually rewarded, great brands to work on and sharpen your PR skills

Cons

40+ hour work weeks are more often the rule than the exception. even if your plate is full it's not unusual to have more work added.

Advice to Management

New client work is always welcome, but acknowledge when someone is already spread too thin especially when they communicate it. And when you say extra help is on it way, please actually deliver on that.

10. "Engaging and Delightful"

Current Employee - Vice President Digital in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The resources of a large company however keeping the family way of running the business

Cons

Growth in the area of Digital can seem a bit hectic and scattered however, I believe it is part of growth

Advice to Management

Don't forget that digital is not just in NY, West Coast and Chicago :)

Showing 16 of 1,609 reviews