Edelman Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

4.2
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 225 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 147 reviews)

1. "Billing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great perks from happy hours, to transportation reimbursement, gym membership reimbursement, great benefits 401k, health, vision, dental. Great family oriented culture to work for. Flexible with job relocation.

Cons

Really cannot think of anything. I was going to say pay, however I must be honest that you get paid what you earn. If you want to get paid more you really have to have a great attitude, show up on time, turn out great work consistently. I really wouldn't expect anything other than this in order to be compensated satisfactorily anywhere else, so why not here?

Advice to Management

Reward you infrastructure departments, they are the life line of the entire company worldwide. AR, AP, Billing, Contracts, Legal, etc.

Edelman Response

Jul 12, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your great review and I'm really happy to hear how many wonderful things you're experiencing in your career. Be sure to let HR know if anything changes. Maria O'Keeffe, Executive Director... More

"Identity Crisis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

lots of smart people, impressive portfolio of clients, entrepreneurial environment

Cons

profit over people and clients
    too many layers of management with lots of turnover
    struggling to integrate digital and traditional PR
    employee bad behavior is excused -- if revenue is attached

Advice to Management

focus on client AND people - profits will follow

"The good and bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman (More than a year)

Pros

Good people work there, get the future of PR and where it's heading. Each office has it's own culture, very different.

Cons

Poor work, life balance. Could have better commuting benefits. Need better communication between upper management and staff. Overall culture needs to improve in certain offices.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees, don't just pretend to do so.

4. "Great opportunities available for those who take advantage of them"

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent client base, intelligent/dedicated coworkers, highly respected brand throughout the communications industry, better compensation than some of its competitors.

Cons

Employees can fall through the cracks if they do not advocate for themselves, office/practice structure can be confusing at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve the company and its practices, figure out ways to better integrate junior and senior employees.

"Great clients, Bad morale"

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

The clients are a great asset and look good when selling yourself to other jobs. And since theirs are pretty big, it means bigger budgets, and often times more fun projects.

Cons

The company seems to succumb every last waking need of the client instead of the internal workforce. The contract & business is what keeps the work going not the teams or the morale.

Advice to Management

Put the integrity of the work before the contract/client. Just filling the need with no purpose of wholesome outlook kills the appeal.

"Pretending, not doing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and holidays (not that you get to enjoy them)

Cons

At it's core, Edelman is a company about servicing their client's wants, not needs. Because those in most high-ranking positions derive from accounts roles - elsewhere or or internally - this position makes sense, and it certainly contributes to the company's high scores in client satisfaction and growth. But this is also why the agency will never rise above the precept that it is nothing more than a PR Firm, which in fact it is. They made the AdAge A-List in 2011 (which isn't the best barometer anyway) but I wouldn't expect to see them there again any time soon.

Advice to Management

For all the talk, recognize that if you expect your employees to be good at all things, they will never become exceptional at one thing.

"Do Not Work at Edelman if You Want to be Creative"

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The only thing I enjoyed about my time at Edelman were the big brands I worked with. I also enjoyed the occasional free food and the company's extremely concerted effort to partake in charity. I suppose the Edelman name carries some weight as well when you inevitably decide to leave.

Cons

I was under the impression that people get into PR to be creative. However, that certainly is not the case at Edelman. Edelman overworks its employees so much that there is no time for creativity because there is always another report that needs to be finished. There is no room for unique ideas, you just do whatever the client tells you to do. Working for Edelman is like being a cog in the system. You rarely feel like you contribute much at all except to keep the machine running. I also know that this was the case for upper management as I will outline in the next section. Edelman's room for upward mobility is also terrible. Edelman only promotes people at specific times of the year and will not promote you to the next title until you have fulfilled the yearly requirements to make the jump even if you deserve it. Most of these jumps in pay and title can take years. Finally, the hours were crazy. No one left their desk for lunch because Edelman has an environment that makes you feel like you must always be working. And do not expect to leave the office before sundown ever. At least they paid interns overtime.

Advice to Management

My managers were terrible at managing down. They were always so swamped with all the work their clients had piling up that they could not delegate anything to me. I was at times treated like I was bothering them when reaching out for more work. My advice to management would be to lower everyone's work load because it makes for an awful environment to work in.

8. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and inspiring environment
    Great company culture and values
    Great place to continue growing as an individual and professional within PR
    A lot of resources and insights
    Offers a huge network
    Roster of clients is impressive
    Creative thinking is key
    They welcome all and any ideas during a brainstorm
    Fun and smart people to call colleagues
    Job security

Cons

Entry level positions are paid extremely low
    no work/life balance
    Politics plays a big part in certain offices
    Merit does not go a log way
    Talking to HR about issues with supervisors does absolutely nothing
    They do not care to promote or raise pay significantly until you have a new offer on the table

Advice to Management

Take care of junior teams. They are the front line executing ideas and working the long hours too.

"Smart people and fun, engaging work"

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edelman as an intern

Pros

Edelman has an awesome culture and senior leadership is very approachable. As an intern, you will rarely get busy work, most of what you do utilizes and develops skills that will be valuable at Edelman and beyond. If you express interest in a certain account or project, management will help to work you in. It's a great place to learn.

Cons

Edelman is a huge company, and it takes some getting used to. The billing system is a pain.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Evolving"

Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and deeply committed staff. Digital practice group is highly creative, and recently added strong new creative talent.

Cons

Can be siloed and cliquish, not just in the office but throughout the region. Collaboration happens, but not as seamlessly as it should.

Showing 60 of 1,608 reviews