Edelman Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

3.3
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 225 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 147 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

Great people and office culture

Cons

Work can be successful at times

"Learned a lot, but had to sacrifice my personal life, well-being and emotional stability for the experience"

Former Employee - Mid-level Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Mid-level Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gained double the experience in half the time (since I worked the hourly equivalent of two jobs!), had the opportunity to represent high-profile clients I wouldn't have gotten to represent elsewhere, was able to utilize the vast resources of a global company, and realized how strong and resilient I really am to be able to survive under immense pressure and stress. Oh, and free soda, coffee and frequently catered meals so that you rarely feel a need to leave the office or stop working -- even for a moment!

Cons

It took me awhile, but I finally figured out how to erase the fake, positive review that company HR had me put up during my tenure so that I could replace it with my actual experience. I had no doubt when I started that the environment would be fast-paced and competitive. I was prepared to work hard, and in fact did so well that my first two years that I was consistently praised, given spot bonuses and thought of as a rising star taking the place by storm. I landed new business, mentored peers and was put on the most aggressive, high-profile accounts. However there is "an Edelman way", and once you stray from that, even in thought, you're done. There is a systematic and calculated approach to getting you out -- to either make you feel so low and doubt yourself that you quit out of sheer frustration, or to endlessly criticize things that had never been a problem before so they can make the case for firing you. How does one stray from the Edelman way? Start working less than 75 hours a week. Express a conflict of interest with an account. Show interest in starting a family of your own. Talk to your manager about transferring to another office. Become disliked by one of the cliquish, soulless people who has worked there for many years and whose opinion holds way too much power. You can still be doing a great job, but do ANYTHING that illustrates you no longer conform 100% to the Edelman mold and you are toast. Group think is everything, and once you stray, you're the odd man out. I didn't anticipate the extent to which managers and senior staff will go to manipulate you, put you down and make you feel absolutely crazy. Girls crying in the bathroom or at their desks, people dismissed or quitting, suddenly gone with no explanation, the forced happy hours to mimic a positive work culture instead of actually creating one, threats, judgment and so much more. I lost sleep over this job. I could never work enough. I was told that I was on track to be promoted at any moment. But every time a review came around, there was always a reason why I wasn't ready. That's the part that makes you feel crazy -- the positive reinforcement to build you up and dangle the golden carrot of a raise and title change in front of you every month on end, only to be told at the pivotal moment that you did not measure up against some new criteria you never knew existed. The only way to succeed is to give everything to this job: your time, your talent, your creativity, your personal life, your family dinners, your plans to have children, your friendships, your health. Give it everything you've got and you'll still will have work to do. The people who succeed there are not people to admire; not people who make you say "wow they've got it together. Look at how great they are. I want to be just like them!" These are people who cut others down for their own personal gain, people who tell you you're doing a great job to your face, then go to your manager to complain about you, people who binge drink at every party and every weekend because they have no other coping skills, people who sit at their desks and literally eat their hair or bite their nails until they bleed because their anxiety is at that level, people who rarely eat a meal and survive on the receptionist's candy dish because God forbid they take a lunch. A successful Edelemployee is a sad, sad person. Not someone you want to be. In order to be successful at this place, you will eventually compromise all the qualities you value about yourself and become a person you don't even recognize. Just look at the people who have been there 8 years, 10 years or longer (if they exist) -- they are some of the meanest people you'll ever meet. Unless you're a client, and then they're so very, very nice.

Advice to Management

You won't listen, so why bother?

"Overall a great company; local office incredibly challenging and facing a difficult future"

Former Employee - Mid-Level in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Mid-Level in Portland, OR

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Constant challenges, diversity of experiences, access to top talent across the globe, lots of interesting IP comes out
    -Many leaders outside the local office are fantastic and have become trusted mentors

Cons

-Local management has created a fear-based culture
    -Constant turnover
    -Lots of drama and rumors, gossip
    -Management attempts to be transparent, but it is completely inauthentic
    -The best leaders leave; ditto for staff members (generally)
    -Local leadership tends to be filled out by staff who, frankly, are socially awkward, work with their doors shut nearly all of the time and treat work as if the office is life and death (people absolutely lose their passion here and the majority have one foot out the door)
    -Training became a joke
    -Technology is old and IT support is poor (the local IT guy was great, but we rarely had access to him)
    -Work-life balance absolutely does not exist in this office
    -Company as a whole can move as slow as molasses
    -Can be incredibly arrogant and judgy of other agencies/companies/clients
    -Salary is not competitive
    -Someone in tears nearly every week (if not more)
    -Not a level playing field - feels like "friends" are promoted and granted ridiculous awards
    -Lack of professionalism from local management - inappropriate remarks made in front of office was not unusual (and they wondered why people were so quiet in meetings!)
    -Weekly happy hours are a joke - felt very "forced" and the senior leaders clearly didn't want to participate (ditto for the holiday breakfast they would grudgingly make)
    -Social media efforts of local office are a joke; everything has to be approved and it's obvious. So "corporatized" it's ineffective

Advice to Management

Needs new local leadership

4. "I love working at Edelman. The company, the global perspective and the people keep me motivated each day."

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edelman continually pushes the boundaries for the definition of PR. The company values high-quality client service.

Cons

At time, it seems that financial compensation is not as competitive as other agencies.

Advice to Management

Continue to be as transparent as possible.

"If you are looking to get your foot in the door, Edelman is the company to do it with."

Current Intern - Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Intern - Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You are given projects that help your team's overall vision and goal for the client.
    There are internal "organizations" that you can volunteer for and participate in.
    The opportunity of working with clients in different industries.

Cons

Large corporate agency PR isn't for everyone. It can be very routine/boring work. Excel spreadsheets become your best friend. You sit in front of a computer for nine hours a day whether you want to or not.

"Great company BAD LOCAL management and culture."

Former Employee - Senior Position in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Position in Portland, OR

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits;
    -Opportunities (if you stay that long!)
    -Location
    -Great Digital Team
    -Great ongoing training
    -Great company overall to work for as a leader

Cons

-VERY high turnover only 10 employees work there for more than 2 years because only "friends" stay
    -They fire and hire people like fall and spring collections
    -Micromanagement;
    -No ideas should come from anyone but Senior Management
    -The General Manager :uneducated an undergraduate degree(English) with no formal management education; Have no idea what P&L's are- they get advice from others.
    -The VPs: at most a basic college degree; Very irrational; Cannot work with them easily
    Salaries: Very underpaid. If you work there you will get paid less than a barista at Starbucks dependent on your role.
    -They make you fearful for your position within the company during the first 90 days of employment
    -They asked employees to go onto Glassdoor and write reviews. The good ones are most likely company sponsored.
    -What the General Manager says goes.
    -I foresee this Edelman office closing down; They are expensive and have no idea what they are doing;
    -No diversity. Only 5 men work there.
    -They don't like veterans: They fired one soon after I left and soon after they were hired. Handicaps are too much hassle for them.
    -They try to attract / poach for senior roles from other local companies hoping to get more business but most leave within 6 months because the work environment is drama filled.
    -If you are a senior member and they want to oust you, they exclude you from events and activities or take away your right to supervise. Mind games.
    -Everyone is too scared to say what they think because they don't want to lose their jobs.

Advice to Management

Advice to corporate: Evaluation of actual leadership based on employee turnover; lack of accounts and advancement of employees. Local senior authoritative management in this branch is a bad decision. No diversity. Cookie cutter only.

"My experience at Edelman has been both fun and educational."

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The network. Given the scope of the company, the wealth of knowledge and information within our reach is always increasing. The culture is also relaxed, enabling a work-life balance suited to the individual.

Cons

Client selection can be limited. Especially in a small market, you may not always be able to work on your preferred accounts.

"Good clients, difficult agency"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some name recognition in the brand, but losing that cache quickly.

Cons

Too many to list. It's a sinking ship. Management team is a disaster, and that's really a compliment.

Advice to Management

The business is heading for a nose dive because they do not invest enough in growing and retaining their talent. PR and marketing firms have employees as their biggest asset -- they can make or break the enterprise. Yet time and again, companies like Edelman get confused that the names of past and current clients are their biggest assets. My advice to management at Edelman is that this current way of operating is too short-sighted. By training and developing your people and caring and investing in them the way an industrial business might maintain a productive machine, Edelman will get far higher dividends than just trying to chase that next big client -- and wearing its people down in the process. The cycle is not sustainable for the business or its people.

"Looks good from the outside, dysfunctional from the inside"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman has a good brand reputation, which means any time worked at the agency will look good on your resume. If you are starting out in your career, this is a good place to get experience in PR and to learn some best practices that will serve you well in the years to come.

Cons

I joined Edelman because of the agency's reputation, but was surprised at how mismanaged the company was when I started working there. Managers are trained to be very hard on their team, often pushing people to their limits in the interest of client service. Employees are often brought to tears either from the stress, workload, or critical feedback from managers. I've seen more coworkers crying in the ladies room than I care to count. Although you can learn a lot from working at this agency, the harsh culture and cutthroat nature of the company means you need very thick skin to survive here very long.

Advice to Management

The Portland office could use a new senior management team. It is hard to retain quality employees when the management team doesn't care.

"All the benefits of a global agency and a boutique"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues - genuinely enjoy spending >8 hours/day with them
    Culture has steadily improved - praise, accountability and real-time feedback as well as a fun and collaborative approach
    Get to work with incredibly smart people all across the Edelman network

Cons

Agency life can be unpredictable, and work-life balance occasionally suffers as a result.
    Politicking inevitable at executive level of broader company

Advice to Management

Remember to put your people and your clients ahead of your egos and P&L
    Keep investing in the company to maintain our leadership position

Showing 20 of 1,608 reviews