Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 87 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 227 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 150 reviews)

"Look out for false posts!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good, standard benefits.
    Great creative and digital teams

Cons

I would be aware of any glowing, positive posts. The office is going through a tumultuous time with high turnover. Morale continues to be low and the leadership is either blind to it or are just opting to ignore it.

Expensive to use their services such as creative, video production team and so on.

Advice to Management

You should probably read these reviews more often.

Sep 14, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. I'm pleased to share that we're already following your advice to read these reviews more often by reading yours and responding in kind. :) Our leadership team, HR leaders and... More

"Needs improvement"

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent Creative Directors
    Nice open office with great views
    Good location

Cons

This is a PR agency that wants to be full service but lots of things at the current moment prevent this:

Poor communications between internal departments. There are a lot of disconnects between what's been bought and what creative is supposed to do. Together the earned, paid, media team, project management team, account service team, and creative never know what is happening.

Low budgets = low quality. The budgets promised to the client are too low to do high quality work.

Dishonest when hiring. The creative recruitment team will promise you things to get you in the door. Then they don't happen. When you try to talk with them after you are hired they are MIA. There is no one else there HR?? to help deliver on these promises.

Advice to Management

Create a better internal structure for communication.

Increase budgets and production for better quality.

Hire better internal creative recruiters that are accountable for their word.

Sep 14, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. It's true that a large evolution from traditional PR to communications marketing is a big deal - and something that comes with a lot of excitement, innovation and a sense of... More

"Senior Vice President"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong growth culture across the board

Cons

Senior Leadership is not inspiring

Advice to Management

Quit creating more and ore made-up titles to pacify the career goals of middle management.

Aug 11, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate the feedback. Maria O'Keeffe, Executive Director, US HR

"Just another internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edelman as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

There were only about six interns in the office so that is really nice because them most people can get to know you. When you work here you get the Edelman name on your resume which is really valuable. The office does have some big clients like Papa Johns, Arby's and Porsche. Also, the office itself is pretty and Midtown is a good location.

Cons

This is just an average internship. When you apply, you need to have a degree so you would assume you would be doing some REAL work. But, what you are doing is everything you have already done before: media lists, media monitoring and some industry research. That stuff is all fine for a Sophomore/Junior in college but as a college graduate you would think you could get some more responsibility. I really didn't feel that I gained any valuable industry experience, I didn't get to add anything outstanding to my resume and portfolio.

Everyone says that you are allowed to get experience with teams/clients that you aren't assigned to. I talked to multiple people on different teams about doing this and was only given the opportunity twice in my six months there. I had a TON of down time, would ask my manager and then my team if they needed anything and the answer was almost always no. So then I ended wasting time.

The pay is pretty terrible. With the #1 PR firm in the world you would think you would do okay. But they only pay you $12.50 an hour and by the time you pay for rent and parking (if you drive) or the metro etc. you aren't making anything. I have seen some competitors with $15, which is still not that great but better.

When I took the internship I thought I was in for some life changing experience but what I got was similar to the three other internships I had in college.

Advice to Management

Give interns more responsibility. Maybe consider doing a rotational program where each intern spends a certain amount of time in different teams or with different clients so they can get a well-rounded experience. Or at least be more open to it when interns approach you and say they want to try crisis, consumer, etc. and actually follow through. Don't say it could happen and then just let it die.

Jul 30, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for sharing your intern program recommendations. If you didn't share your feedback with HR during your exit interview, I'll make sure they get a copy of this review. Your comments couldn't... More

"Run, don't walk... away from this sinking ship"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

-Edelman name is well respected within the industry. Having experience there definitely carries some weight.
    -Great environment for younger professionals to get rich PR experience
    -Decent benefits and vacation
    -Flexible work from home policy
    -Nice people

Cons

Basically everything not mentioned above.
    -Leadership is almost nonexistent. At the team level, priorities seem to lie everywhere but developing talent and growing business. There are some seriously lazy, unmotivated and incompetent leaders. What other agency lets a whole group of Level 4+ Employees in a practice get away with not bringing any new clients in an entire year?
    -Favoritism is out of control. Favored status wins over performance and competency, where it concerns promotions. This is part of the reason they have some bad leaders in place right now who can't grow a business or effectively lead a team. But on the flip side, if you win favor from the man in charge, you too could be a 26-year-old VP, get undue promotions despite no one wanting to report to you or no clients wanting to work with you... or even get away with behavior that should get you fired.
    -At an office or regional leadership level, there's no accountability placed on the group heads to fix books of business that are withering.
    -Morale. Everyone just seems to give off a general sense of misery around there, which is sad because they have some great people who've placed their careers into this place at the mercy of failing leaders. They try to PR spin the crap out of what's happening, but it's pretty obvious when you're being "messaged to."
    -If you are considering a job at Edelman Atlanta over another, take heed... the financial standing isn't great. There are so many people there who can't get due promotions or raises because of leaders mentioned above aren't taking care of business and the numbers are weak as a result. Promotion and raise potential are awful, especially right now... (unless you're one of the people highly favored by the regional leadership). My advice if you accept a job here is to not let them lowball you, because at the rate things are going, there's no telling when you'll get another promotion or decent raise.
    -They brag about having such a vast network to tap because "we are one Edelman." But no one likes to share, especially in this environment where they're fighting for scraps. Giving clients "the best of Edelman" is way harder than leadership makes it out to be. On the group level, some of the leaders don't want to share the revenue... so the "one edelman" thing is a lie. And you are not always encouraged to give the client the best team or people for the business.
    -Even when you do tap the larger network to bring "the best of edelman", it's a coin toss whether they'll be good partners.
    -Because of the sorry state of business affairs, some leaders and managers are putting very unreasonable and ethically questionable pressure on account teams. I'll just say you may go home at the end of the day feeling like you deceived your clients... all for the purpose of hitting financial goals that the office won't meet anyway.

Advice to Management

Stop being on the defensive about everything. Please think introspectively about the problems the office is trying to tell you about... Acknowledge and take responsibility for the state of business and push your deputies to do the same so you can solve it together.

Apr 7, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you for your work at Edelman and we are disappointed that you didn’t feel you could continue to grow or get recognized while you were here. Our firm puts top priority on serving current clients... More

"Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - SAE in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SAE in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the clients you work with are big names, the benefits are OK, and you have the stability of a large firm.

Cons

Avoid Edelman. No innovative spirit whatsoever, a lot of meetings about nothing, loads of unnecessary bureaucracy, way too much hesitation to challenge clients on bad ideas, bad office culture that values time sitting at your desk over actual output.

Advice to Management

Reorganization for the sake of it is bad. Stop.

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your constructive feedback. It's helpful to hear from employees' first-hand, so we can learn from their experiences and make improvements. If you have more details you'd like to share... More

7. "Great work experience, horrible culture and atmosphere"

Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You work on the best of the best clients.
    Your skills develop very quickly.

Honestly not much else

Cons

Edelman is a huge name but the Atlanta office is a complete and utter joke. They preach the culture during the interview and the opportunity to get hired post internship, however that's simply a lie. They've hired ONE intern out of the last 5/6 intern classes. DO NOT INTERN here.

The culture is laughable. You are not allowed to attend staff meetings, you are not allowed to speak on client calls (I did for 2 other agencies), you are not allowed to attend professional development meetings (isn't that the point of the internship), the teams lack transparency and are very condescending.

Every single person in the office is replaceable. Since I left, Edelman Atlanta has lost more than 10 employees due to the horrible culture. Their VP of the company was just recently forced out.

When you "get coffee" with employees for mentoring sessions, it's all whats negative happening in your internship and no real grace shown.

I saw Edelman Atlanta as a complete and utter waste of my time. The company does absolutely nothing in assisting you find a job after your internship.

Only go here if you want to be hired help

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your company. It's an embarrassment.

May 4, 2017 – Edelman

I'm disappointed to read about your internship experience. On average, over a third of our interns are hired into full-time positions in the U.S., but I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have... More

"mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

probably still a good place to start out in traditional PR (provided you have multiple internships already behind you). consumer practice doing well, getting some more marketing assignments, vs. just straight PR.

Cons

gotta agree with prior post about lack of trust--this for a company known for its Trust Barometer study. when the numbers looked bad, good people were told to pack up. lack of training, lack of solid new business leadership.

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

I'm glad to hear you've observed a broader range of assignments outside traditional PR as we continue to evolve and grow our business. It's definitely an exciting time to be a part of the team... More

"not the company it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. That's about it. No training or advancement

Cons

No work life balance cannot take vacation. Cannot trust anyone

Advice to Management

Current managers need training on how to treat employees. They only care about themselves

Apr 12, 2017 – Edelman

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I'm so glad to hear you were satisfied with your compensation and benefits package, but I'm sorry we weren't able to discuss and address... More

"Hard work gets you no where"

Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good resources and networking opportunities. Intelligent and hardworking staff.

Cons

If you take a post-grad internship at Edelman, do so with extreme caution. They have no problem letting you work tirelessly for months (earning minimum wage with no overtime) only to cut you loose to start the job hunt all over again. Salary positions are often given to interns based on their ability to schmooze the right people rather than demonstrated work ethic.

Advice to Management

Place higher priority on placing interns that have been with the company for 6 months.

Showing 145 of 1,649 reviews