Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

Edelman Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 225 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 148 reviews)

1. "There's a reason we're voted the best place to work each year."

Current Employee - SAS in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SAS in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people are some of the best and the brightest in the industry.

Cons

Integration and cooperation between offices could be improved.

Advice to Management

Transparency and communication are important to continue to share. I like the frequency of communication from the top.

2. "Be prepared to work hard; you'll get out what you put in."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

When you're starting your career in PR or communications, there isn't a better place to be for meeting others in your shoes, finding mentoring opportunities and getting connected with others in the industry. The company is great about offering internal education and growth opportunities to young professionals, and really invests a lot in making sure they've got the best of the best as far as workforce goes.

Cons

Very hierarchical, and very political. If you don't play the game it's wisest just to get out.

Advice to Management

Often the support or solicitations for feedback from younger staff members came off as feeble or obsequious. It pays to actually *listen* to junior staffers.

"Don't work at Edelman if you can help it"

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

Pros

They have decent business prospects.

Cons

Mean, politically motivated know-it-alls at all levels. You are looked down at if you are not Jewish -- and I'm part Jewish. Very few people are happy here, which is too bad. I've worked at a few agencies and this is tied for last place with Weber Shandwick.

Advice to Management

Stop PRing the work environment to the outside world, without actually making it a good place to work. PR has enough reputation issues without the Edelman smokescreen.

4. "PR Week's 2009 Agency of the Year for a Reason"

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Edelman is a creative powerhouse. Whenever I need some unique options to present a client, I round up a selection of colleagues from various parts of the company to brainstorm ideas - our collective creativity never fails to impress me! Edelman's medical benefits are superior to other companies' (though not all employees appreciate this.) Also, new hires automatically get two weeks vacation, PLUS what amounts to other week in optional/balance days. And that is on top of 10 standard holidays, including MLK and Presidents' Day. Another great advantage of working at Edelman: we're an independent company so we're able to invest in our future, our services and our people the way many Wall Street-beholden firms can't. Finally, you can't overlook the fact that Edelman was named PR Week's Agency of the Year in 2009.

Cons

We're working hard to get better at this, but teams in different practice areas and geographies do not share information effectively. This is partially driven by Edelman's entrepreneurial culture (everyone wants to own their own little piece of the company) and by the way our P&L is structured. Speaking of structure, Edelman has few processes in place compared to other companies. In some ways, this helps us make decisions more quickly and with greater flexibility; however, we often end up duplicating efforts or wasting time tracking down information that should be readily available. Our financial processes (or lack thereof) are a great example; however, we are rolling out a new global financial system this year that I am hoping will make billing MUCH easier for us and for clients.

Advice to Management

Pay particular attention to people management skills and give feedback diplomatically.

5. "Thoughts"

Former Employee - Anonymouns in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymouns in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great professionals in the network

Cons

Lack of clear leadership and direction locally

Advice to Management

Not sure...

"Great opportunities for mid-to-senior management, but junior staff is overworked and underpaid."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Edelman is a well-known firm and has a strong creative staff. The agency also has an extensive list of clients across a number of practices including technology, healthcare, consumer, etc. The company does a good job of staffing accounts across offices and regions to take advantage of different expertises that vary across the country. The company also has extensive international offices that are helpful when clients need work done in foreign countries, need documents, translated or need access to press in foreign countries.

Cons

Low pay for junior staff, and on large accounts the junior staff are not always given opportunities to experience different types of the business i.e. plan development, extensive media outreach, etc.

Advice to Management

Pay the little people better. They're the driving force for your account management.

"Edelman continues to lead the company down a global path."

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Well-established global company. Stand-alone public relations firm with a number of specialty offerings in various offices around the globe. These specialty offerings provide unique differentiators to clients. The company has a good blend of young, new employees and more seasoned professionals who have been employed by the company for many years.

Cons

Small management group making decisions in a vacuum. Family ownership may limit advancement for management personnel. For most, the road from assistant account executive to senior management has many roadblocks. Less seasoned employees may be required to spend a number of years working on tasks that are neither learning experiences now rewarding. Senior professionals are often pigeon-holed into roles that neither give them the opportunity nor prospect of growth in other roles or with other departments.

Advice to Management

Be more inclusive when making personnel decisions.

"Top-notch leader, permanently cut off from his troops by a layer of sycophants."

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Seattle, WA

Pros

Richard Edelman - smart man. He truly understands where our profession is headed.

Cons

Fiefdoms, poor performance rewarded, assholes rise to the top unimpeded because Mr. Edelman doesn't like confrontation.

Advice to Management

You are the problem.

9. "Supportive work environment"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

I work on a very supportive and collaborative team, and there seems to be a lot of room for growth for those who are smart are willing to work. The leadership team is good about openly communicating with staff, management generally keeps an open door policy and there are a lot of fun projects to work on.

Cons

Because of the nature of the industry, there is always potential for long hours (every day is different, so you never know just which day will involve long hours). Expect to juggle many things at once.

Advice to Management

Keep open communication.

"Edelman is mostly good"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

I enjoy the people with whom I work. It has a good portfolio of clients and a strong network across the globe. It also is a private firm, which means it has more flexibility than many of the other PR behemoths across the globe. They push work-life balance, on paper at least. Also, we have a pretty good softball team.

Cons

It is a big PR firm, which means that it is often rigid and the opportunity to advance is dependent upon your years of experience. The experience also varies heavily on your accounts, although this may be the case anywhere.

Advice to Management

Respect your relationship with your employees more than your relationship with your client. Within reason, of course.