Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 26, 2017
1,357 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,357 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • The company culture is amazing-- people work hard and care about their work but have a great work/life balance (in 84 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the easiest for work/life balance (in 214 reviews)

• Long hours, occasionally have to work weekends (in 135 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of room to move up and around. Lots of opportunities and clients. Established HR system.

Cons

Very rigid raise and promotion process since it's a large company. Difficult to move up without being aggressive.

2. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic: friendly, smart and hard working.
    Clients are multinational companies.
    Offices worldwide, flexibility to work remotely when needed

Cons

Work life balance is not great, lots of work, not a 9-5 job
    Don't get that much PTO, gets better with seniority
    PR doesn't pay so well

Advice to Management

Listen to your office's hiring needs to improve work life balance

Feb 21, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I'm thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your Edelman experience. You are correct, it's not a 9-5 job, however we are always looking for ways to improve work ... More

3. "Sr. Digital PM"

Current Employee - Senior Digital PM/Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Digital PM/Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Digital is a great department. The team is solid, and has innovative/creative ideas. We work on all types of work include social, experiential, activations, influencer marketing, product marketing, brand strategy and more! PM's oversee several accounts at once, and own the budgeting, planning, scoping, timeline phases of the process through production. Things get hectic, but, partnership with the account team, finance and creative is good - think the people and types of client projects make the work fun and worthwhile (despite the occasional long hours).

Cons

Long hours, occasionally have to work weekends.
    Shifting priorities with client scopes and needs - really have to manage expectations with account leads
    meetings!

Advice to Management

Like it! None.

"Edelman"

Former Employee - Strategic Planner and Branding in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Strategic Planner and Branding in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Exposed to top companies/clients/accounts, both national and international.
    Work with really smart, talented and driven people.
    You will learn a lot if you set yourself to it -- no one will baby you, this is the real world.

Make good connections! Take advantage of "coffee dates."
    If you don't get promoted, more than likely someone there will know someone else who might be willing to hire you.
    Become good friends with the HR peeps -- they can help.

Don't treat interns badly, they might end up being your coworkers soon.

Cons

Long, long, long hours for the compensation. Don't expect to sit around and leave when you're supposed to.
    Don't not expected to get promoted just because people like you and you are a talented, hard worker, it really just depends on the business at time.

Advice to Management

Know who is worth keeping -- talented people have been let go because of lack of resources.

Feb 21, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you for your thoughtful review. It sounds like you've truly embraced the entrepreneurial spirit that Edelman strives to cultivate! I appreciate you sharing your observations about where we can ... More

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Edelman (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible experience, mentorship, fun and fast-paced working environment

Cons

Occasionally work some extra hours

Feb 21, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you for your review. I'm thrilled to hear you had a great internship experience. Maria O'Keeffe, Executive Director, US HR

"Solid Company with ethics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Clients are taken care of and the advisors are experienced. Upper management encourages helping all clients no matter if they have investable money or not. The mission is educating people. Also Ric's books are given away free in an effort to educate.

Cons

No company is perfect but I cannot think of a meaningful area where the company is lacking. Clients get good and consistent advice.

Advice to Management

I trust that our leaders will continue to guide the firm through an industry that is changing rapidly due to technology.

Jan 19, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. It's great to be recognized for the efforts we are making to keep the firm at the forefront of the rapidly changing global landscape. Maria O'Keeffe ... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Strategic Planning Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Strategic Planning Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best PR/Communications agency in the UK

Cons

Very dynamic agency not for everyone, but great for dynamic people

"Great Environment/Clients, Horrible Pay/Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edelman really does hire the best, and in turn gets the best clients. The work we do is incredible. Everyone is so smart, passionate and on their game -- it's great to be around. There are really great resources and people in the network with every specialty of knowledge who are willing to help you. The integrated communications marketing approach is excellent, compared to other agencies, because you can offer and tap social specialists, paid specialists, research specialists, creatives, whatever you want, in-house. It can be easy or difficult to move to different practice areas or clients, all depending on your manager.

Cons

The work life balance is horrid. I'm personally very burnt out after 1.5 years and the pay is eh. Especially in the bay area, Edelman pays just the median for junior staff. It all totally depends on your assigned client mix though- some people have it easy, and some have it really hard... luck of the draw. Like other agencies, people dont build very deep friendships at work or really let their hair down. There's also a fairly high turn over rate - people are coming and going all the time

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better and they will actually stick around. I could deal with the bad work-life balance if I at least felt competitively compensated.

Feb 21, 2017 – Edelman

I’m happy you are finding the client work engaging and are getting to tap into so many of the experts at Edelman. But I’m very sorry to hear you feel the work/life balance is poor. We try very hard ... More

"Assistant Account Executive"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are extremely intelligent and creative people here that will contribute to some of the industry's best work. There is some great camaraderie within each of the practices (although not really between the practices). Also it's a great place to learn the PR ropes if you're an intern or early-employee.

Cons

Your experience here really depends on the team you're on. I personally had a terrible experience with my boss and team and since I was an entry-level employee, my concerns were not addressed or recognized appropriately with both the operations teams or HR.

Additionally, I feel as though big-agency lifestyle does not foster room for professional growth for entry-level employees as there is such high-turnover in the industry. Entry-levelers are often looked down upon by senior staff in terms of speaking up to insert their ideas. If you are an AAE in consumer, you're probably shipping product and organizing excels/decks for most of the time, rather than getting hands-on experience in PR.

Advice to Management

Recognize your junior staff more and utilize their bright minds from the get-go. Edelman hires extremely intelligent individuals because the work that Edelman does is top-notch, but there is a huge culture failure and HIGH burn-out rate that will lead employees to seek better opportunities.

Jan 19, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you so much for your detailed review. Your observations and feedback are important to us. Our entry level employees are critical to the success of the firm. We are always looking to ensure ... More

"Great place to work, but long road to proper promotions"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young, fun work environment. Most who work here are intelligent, eloquent and love what they do. There are multiple team bonding activities and events to get to know your peers.

Cons

Top heavy management that rely on junior staff to do their job for half the pay.

Advice to Management

Promote junior staff in a timely manner! Postponing a promotion when they are "nearly there" vs. having faith in their competencies is just discouraging and causes a lot of turnover.

Showing 1,357 of 1,478 reviews