Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

1,481 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,481 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 225 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 148 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Exciting work, fast paced environment

Cons

Can be a lot to juggle

"Run, don't walk... away from this sinking ship"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

-Edelman name is well respected within the industry. Having experience there definitely carries some weight.
    -Great environment for younger professionals to get rich PR experience
    -Decent benefits and vacation
    -Flexible work from home policy
    -Nice people

Cons

Basically everything not mentioned above.
    -Leadership is almost nonexistent. At the team level, priorities seem to lie everywhere but developing talent and growing business. There are some seriously lazy, unmotivated and incompetent leaders. What other agency lets a whole group of Level 4+ Employees in a practice get away with not bringing any new clients in an entire year?
    -Favoritism is out of control. Favored status wins over performance and competency, where it concerns promotions. This is part of the reason they have some bad leaders in place right now who can't grow a business or effectively lead a team. But on the flip side, if you win favor from the man in charge, you too could be a 26-year-old VP, get undue promotions despite no one wanting to report to you or no clients wanting to work with you... or even get away with behavior that should get you fired.
    -At an office or regional leadership level, there's no accountability placed on the group heads to fix books of business that are withering.
    -Morale. Everyone just seems to give off a general sense of misery around there, which is sad because they have some great people who've placed their careers into this place at the mercy of failing leaders. They try to PR spin the crap out of what's happening, but it's pretty obvious when you're being "messaged to."
    -If you are considering a job at Edelman Atlanta over another, take heed... the financial standing isn't great. There are so many people there who can't get due promotions or raises because of leaders mentioned above aren't taking care of business and the numbers are weak as a result. Promotion and raise potential are awful, especially right now... (unless you're one of the people highly favored by the regional leadership). My advice if you accept a job here is to not let them lowball you, because at the rate things are going, there's no telling when you'll get another promotion or decent raise.
    -They brag about having such a vast network to tap because "we are one Edelman." But no one likes to share, especially in this environment where they're fighting for scraps. Giving clients "the best of Edelman" is way harder than leadership makes it out to be. On the group level, some of the leaders don't want to share the revenue... so the "one edelman" thing is a lie. And you are not always encouraged to give the client the best team or people for the business.
    -Even when you do tap the larger network to bring "the best of edelman", it's a coin toss whether they'll be good partners.
    -Because of the sorry state of business affairs, some leaders and managers are putting very unreasonable and ethically questionable pressure on account teams. I'll just say you may go home at the end of the day feeling like you deceived your clients... all for the purpose of hitting financial goals that the office won't meet anyway.

Advice to Management

Stop being on the defensive about everything. Please think introspectively about the problems the office is trying to tell you about... Acknowledge and take responsibility for the state of business and push your deputies to do the same so you can solve it together.

Apr 7, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you for your work at Edelman and we are disappointed that you didn’t feel you could continue to grow or get recognized while you were here. Our firm puts top priority on serving current clients... More

"Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - SAE in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SAE in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the clients you work with are big names, the benefits are OK, and you have the stability of a large firm.

Cons

Avoid Edelman. No innovative spirit whatsoever, a lot of meetings about nothing, loads of unnecessary bureaucracy, way too much hesitation to challenge clients on bad ideas, bad office culture that values time sitting at your desk over actual output.

Advice to Management

Reorganization for the sake of it is bad. Stop.

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your constructive feedback. It's helpful to hear from employees' first-hand, so we can learn from their experiences and make improvements. If you have more details you'd like to share... More

4. "Assistant Account Executive"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience
    Good exposure in the industry
    Well Known company

Cons

Depends on your team how much you will like your job ( similar to many jobs )
    Long work hours, demand alot of employees

"Great Place to grow as intern"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman (Less than a year)

Pros

they've mostly eliminated the heirarchy-based traditional company structure in favor of a horizontal, network-based organization that makes it so much easier to get involved in the projects you like and talk to phenomenal mentors

Cons

lower pay than standard for other interns in the industry

Advice to Management

consider showing your AAE's and AE's you value them a bit more by paying them better

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

It's great to hear you personally experienced the benefits of our evolution to Communications Marketing. I agree it allows for more collaboration and opportunity for our staff and I'm so happy you... More

"Art Director"

Pros

work and life balance is good

Cons

PR people would like to be the creatives

"Very Good for a Corporation"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some pros include constant free food left over from catering events, open atmosphere to encourage conversations (see cons), and a clear strive to improve culture (see cons).

Cons

Much like many other places, there is a lot of criticism without the constructive conversations to help you improve, cutting costs across the firm often means "restructuring" and cutting back on employee culture activities/bonding opportunities.

Advice to Management

Management would benefit from being more of a coach to the younger staff, helping them improve and grow instead of just delegating work and getting upset when things aren't perfect. There could easily be more transparency across the firm and more interaction between departments.

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your feedback. An emphasis on learning and development - for employees and managers - is a priority for us this year. We just hired a new, global head of L&D and effective management and... More

"senior management"

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

brand recognization for edelman and still attracks top clients

Cons

dysfunctional culture, the company doesn't know who they want to be - success isn't about skill - incredibly political and lack of transparency

Advice to Management

take a look at who is in charge and how you measure success and figure out who you want to be - you are quickly destroying a company that was an industry jewel...

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. A positive, engaging culture, transparent communications and successful change management as we evolve to Communications Marketing are priorities for us... More

"Account Executive"

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Great career growth opportunities.

Cons

work/life balance isn't a top priority for management

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. I'm so happy to hear you found your growth opportunities fruitful. While work/life balance can vary from employee to employee, we empower managers to encourage employees at... More

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Edelman has good team culture and great clients that allow interns to learn a lot about the fast-paced environment of an agency and the Pr industry in general.

Cons

You will be expected to work late nights and sometimes even during the weekends, which makes it hard to have time for yourself and family.

Advice to Management

Managers were friendly and approachable

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. It's great to hear how much you learned and that you had managers you could partner with to make your experience a positive one. I hope your experience of working weekends and... More

Showing 1,481 of 1,620 reviews