Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

Edelman Reviews

Updated January 15, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company culture is amazing-- people work hard and care about their work but have a great work/life balance (in 88 reviews)

• Great company to work for; smart people, great work benefits (in 105 reviews)

"Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - SAE in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SAE in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the clients you work with are big names, the benefits are OK, and you have the stability of a large firm.

Cons

Avoid Edelman. No innovative spirit whatsoever, a lot of meetings about nothing, loads of unnecessary bureaucracy, way too much hesitation to challenge clients on bad ideas, bad office culture that values time sitting at your desk over actual output.

Advice to Management

Reorganization for the sake of it is bad. Stop.

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your constructive feedback. It's helpful to hear from employees' first-hand, so we can learn from their experiences and make improvements. If you have more details you'd like to share... More

2. "Assistant Account Executive"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience
    Good exposure in the industry
    Well Known company

Cons

Depends on your team how much you will like your job ( similar to many jobs )
    Long work hours, demand alot of employees

"Great Place to grow as intern"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman (Less than a year)

Pros

they've mostly eliminated the heirarchy-based traditional company structure in favor of a horizontal, network-based organization that makes it so much easier to get involved in the projects you like and talk to phenomenal mentors

Cons

lower pay than standard for other interns in the industry

Advice to Management

consider showing your AAE's and AE's you value them a bit more by paying them better

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

It's great to hear you personally experienced the benefits of our evolution to Communications Marketing. I agree it allows for more collaboration and opportunity for our staff and I'm so happy you... More

"Very Good for a Corporation"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some pros include constant free food left over from catering events, open atmosphere to encourage conversations (see cons), and a clear strive to improve culture (see cons).

Cons

Much like many other places, there is a lot of criticism without the constructive conversations to help you improve, cutting costs across the firm often means "restructuring" and cutting back on employee culture activities/bonding opportunities.

Advice to Management

Management would benefit from being more of a coach to the younger staff, helping them improve and grow instead of just delegating work and getting upset when things aren't perfect. There could easily be more transparency across the firm and more interaction between departments.

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your feedback. An emphasis on learning and development - for employees and managers - is a priority for us this year. We just hired a new, global head of L&D and effective management and... More

"It's O.K. but for an agency "O.K." means dying."

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The offices are pretty nice: clean, mostly quiet with a lot of opportunities for social zones.

Office equipment is top notch especially computer hardware: however, the software is terrible usually with offices and divisions sharing a scant number of licenses or seats that would allow employees to take themselves to the next game.

Client roster is impressive but any medium-sized advertising or tech agency can easily steal most of their clients. I know because I'm leaving to go to a smaller firm that's opening up a PR shop in two or three months.

Cons

Most of the employees aren't particularly bright: they don't know any software program other than Powerpoint. In fact, most of them don't even know Powerpoint really well. So, it's hard to give clients "the best" when an account executive in Digital doesn't know the difference between Photoshop and Microsoft Paint.

You'll quickly find this out when an executive is standing in front of a room of some of the world's wealthiest, smartest, and powerful people with a presentation that looks like a hot mess. It's because, I swear, when it comes to pitches, proposals, wireframes and prototypes... the company employs like seven whole designers at any given moment.

And parts of the senior leadership claims to be experts in esoteric and dubious advertising and marketing "sciences" but can't even write a lick of code. And we're not even talking about real programming. They don't even know how to do a regression analysis in Excel much less write a function in python or tweak the CSS of a site.

And that makes it hard to sell to your clients when you don't even know what a KPI is, how to track it or the technology that makes it work. As they move into this "communications marketing" model, everyone should have a basic working knowledge of modern technology in the context of marketing, advertising and media. That means the company is paying an executive a large sum of money that everyone else has to produce and work even more to pay for these wastes of space.

Certain employees are there because of nepotism. They're even worse than the know-nothings. That's because they are so insanely stupid they haven't even realized they were hired because of a family friend, spouse or they are related to the client. So, they think they actually know things. These people are morale and profit blackholes. I'm not sure why they aren't locked away on their own floor never to interact with the employees who actually work and are there based off merit but if you have to keep them, isolate them off to their own existence.

They also claim you can apply inside of the company and grow as an individual but I've seen about 2 whole people move divisions in the 3-plus years I've been here.

Advice to Management

In all sincerity, I think you need to spend more time pushing your employees to show they are capable of growing and expanding Edelman as we wander farther into the digital and data-driven realm and fire or train those who don't. Also, you should probably double the size of your creative departments. And pay competitively.

Seriously, a VP at Edelman makes about as much as a junior designer at Droga5.

Mar 20, 2017 – Edelman

Your comments and feedback are certainly unsettling. For most employees, not only do they typically find their colleagues smart and savvy, but they rate the people at Edelman as their favorite thing... More

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Edelman has good team culture and great clients that allow interns to learn a lot about the fast-paced environment of an agency and the Pr industry in general.

Cons

You will be expected to work late nights and sometimes even during the weekends, which makes it hard to have time for yourself and family.

Advice to Management

Managers were friendly and approachable

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. It's great to hear how much you learned and that you had managers you could partner with to make your experience a positive one. I hope your experience of working weekends and... More

"Edelman - happy but not challenged"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman (Less than a year)

Pros

learning a lot, big name brands

Cons

cliquey, lack of creativity, too big

"Good company, but not for administrative staff"

Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, innovative company, many opportunities for PR staff.

Cons

No career path for administrative employees. Backbone of company, but considered expendable. Focus entirely on PR staff for success.

Advice to Management

Provide career path and mentoring for non-PR staff.

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. It's wonderful to hear your positive feedback on our benefits, innovation and opportunities. I'm sorry you didn't experience more career path options while you were here. We... More

"mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

probably still a good place to start out in traditional PR (provided you have multiple internships already behind you). consumer practice doing well, getting some more marketing assignments, vs. just straight PR.

Cons

gotta agree with prior post about lack of trust--this for a company known for its Trust Barometer study. when the numbers looked bad, good people were told to pack up. lack of training, lack of solid new business leadership.

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

I'm glad to hear you've observed a broader range of assignments outside traditional PR as we continue to evolve and grow our business. It's definitely an exciting time to be a part of the team... More

"not the company it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. That's about it. No training or advancement

Cons

No work life balance cannot take vacation. Cannot trust anyone

Advice to Management

Current managers need training on how to treat employees. They only care about themselves

Apr 12, 2017 – Edelman

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I'm so glad to hear you were satisfied with your compensation and benefits package, but I'm sorry we weren't able to discuss and address... More

Showing 1,543 of 1,700 reviews