Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

Edelman Reviews

Pros
  • The company culture is amazing-- people work hard and care about their work but have a great work/life balance (in 84 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance can be improved (in 213 reviews)

• Long hours, occasionally have to work weekends (in 135 reviews)

"Edelman Offers Creative, Cutting-Edge Work Environment"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Edelman is committed to keeping it's employees informed on the latest trends in the industry and creating a work environment that is creative enjoyable. There is a true commitment to client service and, while this might mean more work around deadlines for the employee, it means clients stick around---thus, I feel my job is secure and isn't going to another agency. My supervisor catches up with me whenever I seem even the slightest bit stressed so we can assess workload and determine how to better manage my time. This open line of communication encourages me to be candid with my supervisor about the progress of my projects, rather than please her throughout the time leading up to the project deadline with false status reports.
    Edelman is aware that PR can be a taxing profession. That said, they put their money with their mouth is in tackling this downside. Edelman is committed to healthy work-life balance. They provide breakfast on Mondays, fruits on Tuesdays and Thursday. Fridays they treat everyone to ice cream, many selection are healthy as well.

Cons

Edelman can be a lot of work. There are days when I come into the office at 6am and don't leave until 7pm. More times than not, my supervisor will keep track of days like this and allow me to leave early. However, when the team enters a busy season, there is little relief. Because everyone is working hard to meet the constant needs of the client, there can be an unnecessary sense of immediacy. Certainly we want to service the client as best as possible. However, nagging emails from fellow account people can be frustrating and a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Rely less on internal spin and more on honest assesment. At the end of the day, using either method of communication leads to a job well done. I just think we might be able to do an even better job not worrying about hurting feelings and, instead, relying on pure, honest assessment.

2. "Mixed feelings about Edelman"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

The firm has a great reputation (looks great on a resume), and great, industry-leading clients
    You'll get tons of great PR experience, and hit the ground running with work.
    Entrepreneurial atmosphere-think of great ideas for clients, and you'll be rewarded.

Cons

Hours are insane, and expectations for the amount of work one person can do in one day are pretty crazy.
    Firm's commitment to employee work-life balance is mostly in theory, with little practical application
    Edelman tends to favor its "superstars" with bigger bonuses and higher profile clients. The rest don't really get the same opportunities and it can be hard to break into that circle.

Advice to Management

Edelman should be more systematic in how its employees progress, develop and are promoted.

3. "Agency of the Year for Whom?"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

Pros

The people are smart and driven

Cons

Edelman pays below industry averages

Advice to Management

Increase pay to be competitive within the industry.

5. "Edelman is above average for PR. Go into consulting"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

Edelman employees are smart, hard working and create a great work environment. The people are absolutely the number 1 reason to work at Edelman. The world-wide network offers great opportunities to learn from colleagues around the world.

Cons

Despite talk of work/life balance, long hours are expected.
    Tough economy puts the squeeze on clients and limits opportunities for new business.

Advice to Management

Successfully implement the network wide tools you've developed. Managment puts a large emphasis on collaboration but the tools they've created are sub par and create roadblocks to collaboration rather than facilitating it.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The best thing about working for Edelman is the access to great clients and accounts.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at Edelman are the unpredictable hours.

Advice to Management

Be more involved

"Phenomenal agency with some hangups"

Former Employee - Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Intern in Portland, OR

Pros

Edelman has an excellent reputation in public relations. The Portland office is up-and-coming and making a big splash within the global company. The staff is fun and there are many talented people in the organization. Educational opportunities are abundant. Clients are among some of the best in their respective industries - Microsoft, Columbia Sportswear and Starbucks to name a few. The company has excellent benefits and provides flexibility during the work week with work from home options. Working for a large agency provides instant credibility for someone just starting out in public relations. Management involves interns at various levels providing for an excellent internship experience. An especially great place to work if you value a casual work environment including off color humor, inappropriate remarks and foul language.

Cons

Unfortunately interns are supervised by Account Executives (typically only 2 years experience). This role provides a first opportunity for an Account Executive to manage another person, which is good for the company, but its also a gamble as to whether or not the person is up for the task. Since each intern has only one supervisor and one main point of contact, it can ruin much of the experience to have someone who struggles communicating and leading giving oversight. My supervisor was unable to provide helpful feedback on work (struggled with people pleasing). Rather than teaching and instructing, my supervisor was passive and sidestepped issues instead of dealing with them head on. I had hoped for a tremendous learning experience, and it was, but Edelman also provided the worst boss I have had in 9 years of work.

Advice to Management

Carefully evaluate team leaders to make sure they are qualified before putting them in a supervisory role.

8. "Content but still looking"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Company recognition; Career advancement; Benefits package

Cons

Little work/life balance; Low salary; Long hours

Advice to Management

Provide more guidance to entry level employees instead of criticism