Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

1,479 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,479 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 225 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 148 reviews)

"It's O.K. but for an agency "O.K." means dying."

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The offices are pretty nice: clean, mostly quiet with a lot of opportunities for social zones.

Office equipment is top notch especially computer hardware: however, the software is terrible usually with offices and divisions sharing a scant number of licenses or seats that would allow employees to take themselves to the next game.

Client roster is impressive but any medium-sized advertising or tech agency can easily steal most of their clients. I know because I'm leaving to go to a smaller firm that's opening up a PR shop in two or three months.

Cons

Most of the employees aren't particularly bright: they don't know any software program other than Powerpoint. In fact, most of them don't even know Powerpoint really well. So, it's hard to give clients "the best" when an account executive in Digital doesn't know the difference between Photoshop and Microsoft Paint.

You'll quickly find this out when an executive is standing in front of a room of some of the world's wealthiest, smartest, and powerful people with a presentation that looks like a hot mess. It's because, I swear, when it comes to pitches, proposals, wireframes and prototypes... the company employs like seven whole designers at any given moment.

And parts of the senior leadership claims to be experts in esoteric and dubious advertising and marketing "sciences" but can't even write a lick of code. And we're not even talking about real programming. They don't even know how to do a regression analysis in Excel much less write a function in python or tweak the CSS of a site.

And that makes it hard to sell to your clients when you don't even know what a KPI is, how to track it or the technology that makes it work. As they move into this "communications marketing" model, everyone should have a basic working knowledge of modern technology in the context of marketing, advertising and media. That means the company is paying an executive a large sum of money that everyone else has to produce and work even more to pay for these wastes of space.

Certain employees are there because of nepotism. They're even worse than the know-nothings. That's because they are so insanely stupid they haven't even realized they were hired because of a family friend, spouse or they are related to the client. So, they think they actually know things. These people are morale and profit blackholes. I'm not sure why they aren't locked away on their own floor never to interact with the employees who actually work and are there based off merit but if you have to keep them, isolate them off to their own existence.

They also claim you can apply inside of the company and grow as an individual but I've seen about 2 whole people move divisions in the 3-plus years I've been here.

Advice to Management

In all sincerity, I think you need to spend more time pushing your employees to show they are capable of growing and expanding Edelman as we wander farther into the digital and data-driven realm and fire or train those who don't. Also, you should probably double the size of your creative departments. And pay competitively.

Seriously, a VP at Edelman makes about as much as a junior designer at Droga5.

Mar 20, 2017 – Edelman

Your comments and feedback are certainly unsettling. For most employees, not only do they typically find their colleagues smart and savvy, but they rate the people at Edelman as their favorite thing... More

"mixed bag"

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

probably still a good place to start out in traditional PR (provided you have multiple internships already behind you). consumer practice doing well, getting some more marketing assignments, vs. just straight PR.

Cons

gotta agree with prior post about lack of trust--this for a company known for its Trust Barometer study. when the numbers looked bad, good people were told to pack up. lack of training, lack of solid new business leadership.

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

I'm glad to hear you've observed a broader range of assignments outside traditional PR as we continue to evolve and grow our business. It's definitely an exciting time to be a part of the team... More

3. "Hard working people"

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman works to stay ahead of industry trends and practices what it preaches in terms of changing/restructuring with the times.

Cons

Says it values work-life balance, but that's hard to achieve agency-side.

Apr 12, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review!

"Assistant Account Executive"

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Brand equity, having the name "Edelman" on your resume will provide you with endless career opportunities.

Cons

Average pay for the "world's largest public relations company". I have never before felt as uncomfortable as I feel at Edelman. It doesn't feel like I'm at a world renowned agency when I come into work, it feels like I'm back in high school where immature & unnecessary harassment & bullying take place. It's so "normal" for people to demean & belittle their coworkers, no professionalism at all.

Advice to Management

Get serious about making Edelman an EMPLOYER, NOT A FRATERNITY HOUSE!

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

Your observations are concerning and I'd like to better understand your feedback, so it can be addressed quickly. We don't want any employee to feel this way about their office. I encourage you to... More

"not the company it used to be"

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. That's about it. No training or advancement

Cons

No work life balance cannot take vacation. Cannot trust anyone

Advice to Management

Current managers need training on how to treat employees. They only care about themselves

Apr 12, 2017 – Edelman

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I'm so glad to hear you were satisfied with your compensation and benefits package, but I'm sorry we weren't able to discuss and address... More

"Political. Limited career progression at a senior level"

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Working with top talent and great access to resources.

Cons

Political environment particularly at a senior level. Little to no talent management or development above VP level. No professional standard career pathing for their senior team and senior level promotions are based more on relationships than merit. There are senior people with a bad HR track record who have been promoted due to top management connections.

Advice to Management

Top management should listen to teams and team leaders and provide better career patching for senior leaders.

Mar 14, 2017 – Edelman

Thank for taking the time to share your feedback. Good or bad, it's important for us to hear from staff on ways we can improve. Your observations are concerning to me and I'd like to address your... More

"Good company, but not for administrative staff"

Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, innovative company, many opportunities for PR staff.

Cons

No career path for administrative employees. Backbone of company, but considered expendable. Focus entirely on PR staff for success.

Advice to Management

Provide career path and mentoring for non-PR staff.

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. It's wonderful to hear your positive feedback on our benefits, innovation and opportunities. I'm sorry you didn't experience more career path options while you were here. We... More

"Solid agency experience for new PR pros"

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

You develop a great understanding of PR/communication fundamentals and really hone your attention to detail. Upper management is smart, resourceful, and willing to share insights.

Cons

Pay was not the best, especially for the Bay Area.

Apr 24, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review! It's always nice to see our priorities pay off with positive employee experiences. Maria O'Keeffe, Executive Director, US HR

"Account Executive"

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Top clients in consumer marketing

Cons

Large corporate setting can be tricky to navigate

"Not a great place...need to be revamped...it is sinking"

Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The PTO
    The clients (they should really evaluate their billing and the work product closely; it doesn't match up)
    Some decent people
    The office (nice location)
    Interns--they are hopeful people

Cons

Leadership-- they do not take responsibility for the failing business. They pass blame. Also they need to learn objectivity. The favoritism is almost a person there. They keep bad managers in place when they know the incompetent people need to be let go.
    CEO---he needs people skills. He is so full of himself! He can't even look people in the eye when walking down the hall. And if he tells you he cares, you better not believe him. He leans too much on his HR person, who is a lying character.
    HR--- she should be labeled the gossiper of the office. She pretends to solve issues but she is the issue. How does a HR person who doesn't bring one cent to the business but is so involved in the accounts and its people. She also spends the company's money taking people out to lunch.
    Business-- this company doesn't know how to bring in new business especially some departments. Its leadership or lack of leadership are cry baby bullies. One department's idea of bringing in new business is going to other offices begging for leftovers. There is a senior level manager whose believes or demonstrates that lying, yelling and whining work. It works for her and it works in the Edelman South office. She should have been let go but they reward her with more money and titles. And the sad part about it is everyone knows.
    Over sellers but under achievers--- the clients better guard their budgets. That South office comes up with so much crap to sell that they forget what they need to sell---good sound counsel with results.
    Favoritism---it exists in the Edelman South office! Enough said.
    Gossiping---everyone talks and leadership sets the tone for that.
    Morale and spirit- there isn't any!

Advice to Management

Get training and start appreciating the people you have. They are so miserable there but they won't tell you because they are afraid of retaliation. Plus you won't listen. You are too busy being psychoanalysts or more like psychos.
    They need to bring into new leadership from the office. They do it for new business. Get some good leadership.

Apr 7, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you for your post regarding your experience at Edelman. As one of the leaders in the office, I take your feedback seriously and I can also attest to the fact that I do take immense personal... More

Showing 1,479 of 1,617 reviews