Edelman Reviews | Glassdoor

Edelman Reviews

Updated November 22, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company culture is amazing-- people work hard and care about their work but have a great work/life balance (in 89 reviews)

• Great company to work for; smart people, great work benefits (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 230 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 155 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Strategic Planning Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Strategic Planning Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best PR/Communications agency in the UK

Cons

Very dynamic agency not for everyone, but great for dynamic people

"Great Environment/Clients, Horrible Pay/Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edelman really does hire the best, and in turn gets the best clients. The work we do is incredible. Everyone is so smart, passionate and on their game -- it's great to be around. There are really great resources and people in the network with every specialty of knowledge who are willing to help you. The integrated communications marketing approach is excellent, compared to other agencies, because you can offer and tap social specialists, paid specialists, research specialists, creatives, whatever you want, in-house. It can be easy or difficult to move to different practice areas or clients, all depending on your manager.

Cons

The work life balance is horrid. I'm personally very burnt out after 1.5 years and the pay is eh. Especially in the bay area, Edelman pays just the median for junior staff. It all totally depends on your assigned client mix though- some people have it easy, and some have it really hard... luck of the draw. Like other agencies, people dont build very deep friendships at work or really let their hair down. There's also a fairly high turn over rate - people are coming and going all the time

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better and they will actually stick around. I could deal with the bad work-life balance if I at least felt competitively compensated.

Feb 21, 2017 – Edelman

I’m happy you are finding the client work engaging and are getting to tap into so many of the experts at Edelman. But I’m very sorry to hear you feel the work/life balance is poor. We try very hard... More

"Assistant Account Executive"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are extremely intelligent and creative people here that will contribute to some of the industry's best work. There is some great camaraderie within each of the practices (although not really between the practices). Also it's a great place to learn the PR ropes if you're an intern or early-employee.

Cons

Your experience here really depends on the team you're on. I personally had a terrible experience with my boss and team and since I was an entry-level employee, my concerns were not addressed or recognized appropriately with both the operations teams or HR.

Additionally, I feel as though big-agency lifestyle does not foster room for professional growth for entry-level employees as there is such high-turnover in the industry. Entry-levelers are often looked down upon by senior staff in terms of speaking up to insert their ideas. If you are an AAE in consumer, you're probably shipping product and organizing excels/decks for most of the time, rather than getting hands-on experience in PR.

Advice to Management

Recognize your junior staff more and utilize their bright minds from the get-go. Edelman hires extremely intelligent individuals because the work that Edelman does is top-notch, but there is a huge culture failure and HIGH burn-out rate that will lead employees to seek better opportunities.

Jan 19, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you so much for your detailed review. Your observations and feedback are important to us. Our entry level employees are critical to the success of the firm. We are always looking to ensure... More

"Great place to work, but long road to proper promotions"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young, fun work environment. Most who work here are intelligent, eloquent and love what they do. There are multiple team bonding activities and events to get to know your peers.

Cons

Top heavy management that rely on junior staff to do their job for half the pay.

Advice to Management

Promote junior staff in a timely manner! Postponing a promotion when they are "nearly there" vs. having faith in their competencies is just discouraging and causes a lot of turnover.

"Very good experience - Professional & fun."

Former Employee - Producer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Producer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Big, established agency with big, established, long-term clients. Thoughtful, strategic & smart in business approach. Vast array of work and relatively diverse workforce.

Cons

Typical large agency complaints - takes a long time and way too many people to get simple things done, endless meetings about other meetings, annoying agency acronyms, conservative decision making, etc.

Advice to Management

Place more value in experience and character rather than pedigree. Promote from within, but week out the BSers.

"Assistant Account Executive"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman (More than a year)

Pros

the culture (ice cream Fridays, Lunch & Learns), big-name clients, exciting campaign work and opportunities to move around

Cons

the pay is low for junior staff, while there is somewhat of a "work-life-balance", don't expect to work 9-to-5 as a junior staff.

Advice to Management

Pay junior level employees more for their work

Dec 19, 2016 – Edelman

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear you are enjoying the culture in the Chicago office - it's a great place. And, you're right, it's not a 9-5 job, however I hope that you are still... More

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman (More than a year)

Pros

Great Opportunities, super smart people

Cons

Not everyone is easy to work with

Dec 19, 2016 – Edelman

Thank you for your feedback; I agree that we have really smart people at Edelman. And, you're right, when you put so many talented people together, there are bound to be people that are easier to... More

"NY Office Sucks"

Current Employee - SAS in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SAS in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues at peer level, full service firm, good training for AAE-SAE levels but then gets too specialized. Access to cutting edge offerings and if you luck out on a client, the work can be challenging in a good way.

Cons

Horrible leadership - disingenuous and full of lip service that they never walk the talk on. Thought it would be a good place for women to advance their careers but you only get ahead if you suck up and blindly agree with everything senior execs say. The female leaders are maybe the worst offenders and can be down right rude. If your not a working mom, your expected to work weekends and late nights without any acknowledgement or appreciation. Would not recommend this place to anyone wanting to build their career on merit and who doesn't want to brown nose their way up the ladder. Also, unless your a 'creative,' no one really cares about you, you won't get paid as much, and your job will basically be to pander to them and take care of grunt work.

Advice to Management

Make client account teams feel important, and don't be so hypocritical, preachy and insincere.

Feb 21, 2017 – Edelman

We value every one of the people who work so hard for our clients and the agency. Our hope is that Edelman is personally and professionally rewarding. Your experience and comments are important to... More

"Typical of agency, but in good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, AL

I worked at Edelman (More than a year)

Pros

1. You are surrounded by brilliant, experienced, connected people. The exposure you get to your employees and top tier clients is unrivaled.
    2. If you have a good boss, you have a lot of clarity into the promotion process.

Cons

1. It's agency, so it's high pressure and competitive.
    2. It can be hard to get promoted.

Dec 19, 2016 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. It's always wonderful to hear when an employee is really enjoying his/her colleagues, work and manager. I would encourage you to have on going conversations with your... More

"Internship"

Current Employee - Digital Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Digital Intern in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Edelman provides a friendly environment to interns, is full of smart people, and grants interns the opportunity to touch several clients throughout their internship.

Cons

Edelman does not pay competitively for an internship in Atlanta, does not yet have the capabilities to offer many positions to interns, and requires interns to pay for their own parking if they drive.

Advice to Management

I would advise they be more up front when talking to interns about their chances of ultimately being hired into the company and work to make their rate more competitive with other internships in Atlanta

Dec 19, 2016 – Edelman

Thanks for your review and congrats on your internship. Edelman does hire most of our entry level talent from our intern class, but unfortunately there are normally more interns than open spots for... More

Showing 1,540 of 1,695 reviews