Edelman Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance isn't a top priority for management (in 224 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 145 reviews)

"The largest for a reason"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great support system. Incredible talent. Strong leadership - but can depend on your location. Very good culture in most offices - especially places like San Francisco, Seattle and Chicago. No better place to cut your teeth. Great, great clients. Very strong creative and digital chops. Entrepreneurial.

Cons

Conflicts of interest can be counter productive. Very NY centered - making professional growth outside of NY challenging. Executive leadership can be a hit or miss with some overly ambitious.

Advice to Management

Work hard to be less NY centered as your best people are actually not there.

Mar 3, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. I'm really pleased to hear what you love about Edelman. I think our culture is great, too! No matter what size office an employee sits in, we try to ensure ... More

"Great Environment/Clients, Horrible Pay/Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edelman really does hire the best, and in turn gets the best clients. The work we do is incredible. Everyone is so smart, passionate and on their game -- it's great to be around. There are really great resources and people in the network with every specialty of knowledge who are willing to help you. The integrated communications marketing approach is excellent, compared to other agencies, because you can offer and tap social specialists, paid specialists, research specialists, creatives, whatever you want, in-house. It can be easy or difficult to move to different practice areas or clients, all depending on your manager.

Cons

The work life balance is horrid. I'm personally very burnt out after 1.5 years and the pay is eh. Especially in the bay area, Edelman pays just the median for junior staff. It all totally depends on your assigned client mix though- some people have it easy, and some have it really hard... luck of the draw. Like other agencies, people dont build very deep friendships at work or really let their hair down. There's also a fairly high turn over rate - people are coming and going all the time

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better and they will actually stick around. I could deal with the bad work-life balance if I at least felt competitively compensated.

Feb 21, 2017 – Edelman

I’m happy you are finding the client work engaging and are getting to tap into so many of the experts at Edelman. But I’m very sorry to hear you feel the work/life balance is poor. We try very hard ... More

3. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Decent clients, good team, several folks to look up to/learn from

Cons

Bit of chaos in terms of whether the office was heading in the right direction. Felt like we were rebuilding without quite ever saying so.

Jul 14, 2016 – Manager

Thanks for the review and appreciate the insight. Believe we are always building toward something at Edelman given the very alive entrepreneurial spirit!

"great company overall, west coast management needs serious help."

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Client roster is excellent. Senior level clients are incredibly smart, focused and driven.
    Being independently owned allows the company to act for the long term and experiment, rather than focus so heavily on quarterly numbers.
    Mid-level staff (VP) and below are energetic, smart and genuinely seem to want to do the best they can.

Cons

“Optics” far outweigh "results".
    Speaking for the West Coast, one of the most political environments I have ever seen. Riddled with managers who seem to have never managed before.
    Senior management – especially in general marketing disciplines (not traditional PR) – seem to think their job is to spend on lunches, drinks, hotels and to parade around losses disguised as wins (read: low budget, mid level, one time project work that loses money. Client retreats after underwhelming work due to poor setup and poorly managed expectations.)
    Incredibly poor hiring track record for key roles: Consistently hiring (and then within a year firing) the wrong people with the wrong skill sets who are given the wrong responsibilities and the wrong reporting structure. It’s damaging to culture, morale and the work every single time.
    Promotions and raises are predicted (accurately) based on social media posts of senior management’s after work drinking buddies.
    Very cliquey.

Advice to Management

Look past the first layer who reports to you. Dig into who really grew the client, won the pitch, built the relationship, came up with the concept.
    Move promotion and raise decisions to committees outside of direct managers to combat favoritism.
    Look at track record of success and failures and promote/replace appropriately.
    Pay attention to North American feedback in glassdoor – pretty consistent in terms of work life balance, pay and especially politics.

6. "Great leadership opportunities"

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Leadership path; working with some of the largest companies in the world; access to resources and experts

Cons

Low pay compared to other agencies; office politics can detract from great work; very large company (for a PR firm) which creates a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Invest a little less in hiring senior leaders who don't actually do client work and spend a little more on paying your jr and mid level associates better so that they'll stick around

7. "Senior account supervisor"

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Clear path for career development, opportunities to change departments and practices

Cons

Client service brings high pressure

Advice to Management

Help account managers navigate the politics and challenges that comes with collaborating across departments (creative, analytics, crisis, etc.)

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working at Edelman right out of college was like a masters degree in PR. You learn how to do things the right way on some of the best clients. You can take those frameworks and apply them to other companies or to your own consulting practice down the line.

Cons

Big company, impersonal, very traditional views on remote working/flexibility around work/life balance

Advice to Management

Adjust with the needs of the new workforce

"Communications research with a twist."

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relationship with Edelman. High profile client base with complex communications challenges. Range of client types (tech, QSR, healthcare, education, etc.). Amazing opportunity for growth (promotions are merit based, not restricted to position openings). Great responsibility at junior levels. A place where researchers are consultants vs. data monkeys - high visibility within Edelman. Small / nimble team.

Cons

There is still a lot of educating (i.e. why research matters) within the walls of Edelman. Quick turn projects are becoming the norm vs. the exception - this leads to intense timelines and long hours. Leadership, skills and work ethics are not consistent across offices.

Advice to Management

Enable a culture that doesn't default to the automatic yes - empower people to say "no, but...." Ensure consistency across offices (leadership, skills, etc.) through project training.

"Great company with opportunity"

Current Employee - Associate Research Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Research Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is incredibly interesting- this company works with top tier clients and does high quality work. I have loved working here and most of all enjoy the people I work with. There are a lot of talented people that work hard, but it is also a fun work environment with a ton of young people in the office. I honestly cannot say anything bad about where I work. The company is growing and there is a lot of potential to grow as long as you put the work in

Cons

Honestly, I love working here and I love the people I work with. No cons for me

"Edelman Berland: West Coast"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-moving.
    High-profile clients.
    Work that has impact.
    Entrepreneurial environment.
    Work-hard, play-hard.
    Profile of West Coast team improving.
    Growing team.
    Relationship with Edelman is positive

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times.
    Occasional long hours.
    Some unstructured working (just make it happen!).
    Introverted personalities sometimes get overlooked.

Advice to Management

Continue to position Research and Analytics as central to good marketing.
    Clarify offering to clients.

Showing 58 of 1,577 reviews