Edelman Vice President Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company culture is amazing-- people work hard and care about their work but have a great work/life balance (in 89 reviews)

• Great company to work for; smart people, great work benefits (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better for full time employees (in 230 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 155 reviews)

"Collaborative and creative place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart and creative people. Welcoming and supportive environment.

Cons

Open floor plan may be less ideal for some.

"Fingers crossed the newer Digital leads will clean house"

Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive President who will hopefully take this PR firm into the Digital future. Beautiful location, free ice cream and other basic agency perks you find elsewhere.

Cons

The "Mean Girls environment" that one reviewer stated is 100% true especially on the Chicago Consumer team. They are the worst, very exclusive and borderline bullying attitude. Collectively, the behavior seems like those so fearful of not "getting" digital and losing their relevance that they treat any from a real digital background as second class citizens. This behavior is apparent from the top - down. From AAEs all the way up to the SVP/EVPs. I think that Edelman works more on investment plans to find room for PR folks on Digital SOWs then profitable work. It's not sustainable for an agency with already record high billable rates.

Advice to Management

There is promise there - they just have to clean house with the old guard holding on for dear life.

Sep 9, 2017 – Edelman

I'm happy to hear your hopefulness regarding the promise of our digital future in Chicago and I have to agree. I would also be lying if I didn't say it made me smile to hear your comments about free... More

"Senior Vice President"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong growth culture across the board

Cons

Senior Leadership is not inspiring

Advice to Management

Quit creating more and ore made-up titles to pacify the career goals of middle management.

Aug 11, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate the feedback. Maria O'Keeffe, Executive Director, US HR

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, fun work and the ability to as autonomous as you like!

Cons

operational processes need to be streamlined

Jul 30, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your review. I, too, love the New York office, their people and the way teams are managed to give employees of all levels autonomy and a fun working environment. I'm so glad to hear you... More

"Great company for smart, hard working people"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to work with the smartest, most creative people in the business.

If you know how to ask for opportunities - and can tie ideas back to how it will help the business - you'll succeed here.

If you're willing to work longer hours for big new business opportunities or raise your hand for new opportunities, this is the place for you.

If you're aggressive about finding a mentor and learning, you'll love Edelman.

The Edelman brand has great cache.

The network is huge - and the name recognition is excellent.

Cons

I am disappointed to see some of the other reviews; the experiences they describe are so different than mine. I do think Edelman is only for a certain type of person. No one is going to give you a roadmap for your career at Edelman - you really need to carve your own path.

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks for your glowing review! I agree; Edelman is a special place with endless opportunities for proactive, hard-working people. I appreciate your feedback. Maria O'Keeffe, Executive Director, U.S... More

"It's O.K. but for an agency "O.K." means dying."

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The offices are pretty nice: clean, mostly quiet with a lot of opportunities for social zones.

Office equipment is top notch especially computer hardware: however, the software is terrible usually with offices and divisions sharing a scant number of licenses or seats that would allow employees to take themselves to the next game.

Client roster is impressive but any medium-sized advertising or tech agency can easily steal most of their clients. I know because I'm leaving to go to a smaller firm that's opening up a PR shop in two or three months.

Cons

Most of the employees aren't particularly bright: they don't know any software program other than Powerpoint. In fact, most of them don't even know Powerpoint really well. So, it's hard to give clients "the best" when an account executive in Digital doesn't know the difference between Photoshop and Microsoft Paint.

You'll quickly find this out when an executive is standing in front of a room of some of the world's wealthiest, smartest, and powerful people with a presentation that looks like a hot mess. It's because, I swear, when it comes to pitches, proposals, wireframes and prototypes... the company employs like seven whole designers at any given moment.

And parts of the senior leadership claims to be experts in esoteric and dubious advertising and marketing "sciences" but can't even write a lick of code. And we're not even talking about real programming. They don't even know how to do a regression analysis in Excel much less write a function in python or tweak the CSS of a site.

And that makes it hard to sell to your clients when you don't even know what a KPI is, how to track it or the technology that makes it work. As they move into this "communications marketing" model, everyone should have a basic working knowledge of modern technology in the context of marketing, advertising and media. That means the company is paying an executive a large sum of money that everyone else has to produce and work even more to pay for these wastes of space.

Certain employees are there because of nepotism. They're even worse than the know-nothings. That's because they are so insanely stupid they haven't even realized they were hired because of a family friend, spouse or they are related to the client. So, they think they actually know things. These people are morale and profit blackholes. I'm not sure why they aren't locked away on their own floor never to interact with the employees who actually work and are there based off merit but if you have to keep them, isolate them off to their own existence.

They also claim you can apply inside of the company and grow as an individual but I've seen about 2 whole people move divisions in the 3-plus years I've been here.

Advice to Management

In all sincerity, I think you need to spend more time pushing your employees to show they are capable of growing and expanding Edelman as we wander farther into the digital and data-driven realm and fire or train those who don't. Also, you should probably double the size of your creative departments. And pay competitively.

Seriously, a VP at Edelman makes about as much as a junior designer at Droga5.

Mar 20, 2017 – Edelman

Your comments and feedback are certainly unsettling. For most employees, not only do they typically find their colleagues smart and savvy, but they rate the people at Edelman as their favorite thing... More

"Too big to care"

Former Employee - AE to Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - AE to Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The brand appeal to claim you work for the biggest firm in the world.

Cons

Highly political, combative environment rife with favoritism and nepotism. Bad behavior gets rewarded and good work gets overlooked.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people and clients first not the numbers.

Apr 27, 2017 – Edelman

I'm disappointed to hear your sentiments. The cons you describe are definitely elements of our culture we strive to avoid at all costs. If you're open to sharing more specific feedback with me, so it... More

"The largest for a reason"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great support system. Incredible talent. Strong leadership - but can depend on your location. Very good culture in most offices - especially places like San Francisco, Seattle and Chicago. No better place to cut your teeth. Great, great clients. Very strong creative and digital chops. Entrepreneurial.

Cons

Conflicts of interest can be counter productive. Very NY centered - making professional growth outside of NY challenging. Executive leadership can be a hit or miss with some overly ambitious.

Advice to Management

Work hard to be less NY centered as your best people are actually not there.

Mar 3, 2017 – Edelman

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. I'm really pleased to hear what you love about Edelman. I think our culture is great, too! No matter what size office an employee sits in, we try to ensure... More

9. "Great agency for growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great and smart people to work with. amazing opportunities to learn all about the world of PR and access to great creative minds.

Cons

Works to be done on inclusiveness and women leadership.

Advice to Management

Expand on women empowerment opportunities and leadership skills. More training.

Feb 28, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. I'm so glad you're learning and accessing all the creativity around you. I encourage you to join GWEN and to reach out your manager or local HR person... More

10. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Great leadership, amazing job opportunities, focused on employee growth opportunities

Cons

Management is focused on bettering the culture. Being such a large office makes it more difficult for employees to connect.

Sep 22, 2016 – Manager

Hey - appreciate the feedback and agree tackling culture in a large office is tough. If you have any ideas of your own on how to improve it, please do share it with your local HR team. As always, we... More