Edelman Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance isn't a top priority for management (in 224 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 145 reviews)

"Edelman"

Former Employee - Strategic Planner and Branding in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Strategic Planner and Branding in Washington, DC

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Exposed to top companies/clients/accounts, both national and international.
    Work with really smart, talented and driven people.
    You will learn a lot if you set yourself to it -- no one will baby you, this is the real world.

Make good connections! Take advantage of "coffee dates."
    If you don't get promoted, more than likely someone there will know someone else who might be willing to hire you.
    Become good friends with the HR peeps -- they can help.

Don't treat interns badly, they might end up being your coworkers soon.

Cons

Long, long, long hours for the compensation. Don't expect to sit around and leave when you're supposed to.
    Don't not expected to get promoted just because people like you and you are a talented, hard worker, it really just depends on the business at time.

Advice to Management

Know who is worth keeping -- talented people have been let go because of lack of resources.

Edelman Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Edelman

Thank you for your thoughtful review. It sounds like you've truly embraced the entrepreneurial spirit that Edelman strives to cultivate! I appreciate you sharing your observations about where we can ... More

2. "Meritocracy"

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of upward mobility for top performers. AMAZING people work here. I genuinely look forward to work everyday and that's because of the people. Bureaucracy exists, but easy to bypass with a few years of experience and relationships. Fast-moving environment, very entrepreneurial. If you point out a problem, the expectation is that you also provide a solution.

Cons

You're always going to get paid less at an agency, but you make up for that in interesting/high-profile client work.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower junior employees and reward ambitious top performers.

Edelman Response

Jul 26, 2016 – Manager

Thank you so much for the review! Glad to hear you are excelling at Edelman and know you will continue to do so.

3. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Internship in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Internship in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman (Less than a year)

Pros

Perfect job for anyone looking to gain experience in the public relations field, especially fresh out of college. Learn how to combine your knowledge of writing and communications with effective use of data and market analytics to become a skilled employee. Work on high profile clients and really interesting projects.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be hard-driven, but this is also a positive in quickly developing your skills and experiences in the field.

Advice to Management

Only that sometimes work can be a bit hectic and busy and then quiet, so perhaps try to balance out scheduling of assignments so that the work is more constant as opposed to slow and then extremely busy. But of course, sometimes that is just the nature of the work. That said the majority of the time is "good" busy, and I much prefer being busy doing interesting and challenging work to having nothing to do. Overall I would give Edelman Berland a solid A.

5. "Internship"

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible Culture
    Real-world work
    Interns are valued as true team members
    True ability to grow

Cons

Long hours
    Low starting salary
    You must pay your dues, but that is expected in a large agency.

Advice to Management

I think that the HR department has room for improvement.

6. "Amazing firm to work for!"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for mobility and exploring your interests, talented people, interesting projects. If you can get in, I would absolutely recommend working here.

Cons

Compensation at a lower level could be much better.

Advice to Management

The only advice is to realize that the junior staff is the bloodline of the firm as we generate a lot of work - even small increases, or bonuses, will be an improvement.

7. "It's a fast-paced work environment that is constantly challenging me and keeping me on my toes."

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They promote a good work-life balance at Edelman, and they have awesome office perks like free ice cream in the DC office on Fridays and an Edelman softball team that plays other PR companies. The work is always challenging but very rewarding.

Cons

Oftentimes, working for clients leads to late/early hours and long working days. Also, until you get to some of the upper levels, it has lower pay than some other comparable jobs.

8. "Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

9. "Edelman is the best. We're a family of entrepeneurs who work hard and smart to live up to our well-deserved reputation."

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't imagine a reason to leave Edelman. I've stayed with the company through moves from NYC to Tampa to DC. There's great opportunity to grow and even shift specialties within the company, really choosing your own adventure. Our colleagues and clients are great. What's more, work-life balance is definitely achievable, and we are very fairly compensated between salary and bonuses.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "I'm so impressed. The people at Edelman are incredibly smart, creative, strategic and passionate about their work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Talented colleagues, opportunity for job growth is substantial, clients are top-notch, collaborative culture

Cons

Compensation, more leadership development for employees

Advice to Management

Consider more leadership development for employees so they can reach their full potential for the company - executive coaching?

11. "Embraces Innovation. Always In Motion."

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Edelman has assembled a staff with incredible intellectual capabilities and industry experience. The eclectic mix of skill sets, points of view and industry insight allows for more effective teamwork and better client service. New ideas are valued from every level of staff. Edelman is always in motion and the generation of ideas are never static or stale.

Cons

Edelman's global network is a clear and distinct market advantage, but navigating the global matrix can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Interoffice integration and knowledge sharing is fantastic, yet sessions need to have more pragmatic applications to real-life scenarios.

Showing 48 of 1,577 reviews