Edelman Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Edelman Washington Reviews

Updated May 10, 2017

Washington, DC

Pros
  • Edelman has a great work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• great and smart people to work with (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance isn't a top priority for management (in 224 reviews)

• The pay is just sufficient despite the long hours you work (in 145 reviews)

"Great company to start your career at."

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of short-term projects and opportunities available to maximize learning. Colleagues are smart, fun and personable. Fantastic training courses available.

Cons

Not much say in clients you work for. Always expected to be "on the clock" even when out of the office.

Advice to Management

Managers should always work with their direct report. it doesn't make sense for a manager to "manage" you if they have no direct knowledge of what you are like as an employee in actual client-facing work settings.

2. "Amazing firm to work for!"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for mobility and exploring your interests, talented people, interesting projects. If you can get in, I would absolutely recommend working here.

Cons

Compensation at a lower level could be much better.

Advice to Management

The only advice is to realize that the junior staff is the bloodline of the firm as we generate a lot of work - even small increases, or bonuses, will be an improvement.

3. "It's a fast-paced work environment that is constantly challenging me and keeping me on my toes."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They promote a good work-life balance at Edelman, and they have awesome office perks like free ice cream in the DC office on Fridays and an Edelman softball team that plays other PR companies. The work is always challenging but very rewarding.

Cons

Oftentimes, working for clients leads to late/early hours and long working days. Also, until you get to some of the upper levels, it has lower pay than some other comparable jobs.

5. "Account Executive that sees real professional growth attainable at Edelman"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture of the DC office. Everything is a collaboration and the goal is to get the job done and do the best for your client. There is no infighting over clients or silo mentality. Leadership is very receptive to new ideas, and the structure is very flat. Everyone's contributions are heard and considered.

Cons

Compensation is not what I would have hoped for, but they have good benefits, and an understanding for work-life balance. I have not been here long enough to go through the promotion process, but I have heard it can be political.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the contributions of employees at all levels. Engaging with your direct reports and involving them in activities that will help their personal and professional growth is the best way to gain their respect.

6. "Edelman is the best. We're a family of entrepeneurs who work hard and smart to live up to our well-deserved reputation."

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't imagine a reason to leave Edelman. I've stayed with the company through moves from NYC to Tampa to DC. There's great opportunity to grow and even shift specialties within the company, really choosing your own adventure. Our colleagues and clients are great. What's more, work-life balance is definitely achievable, and we are very fairly compensated between salary and bonuses.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "I'm so impressed. The people at Edelman are incredibly smart, creative, strategic and passionate about their work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Talented colleagues, opportunity for job growth is substantial, clients are top-notch, collaborative culture

Cons

Compensation, more leadership development for employees

Advice to Management

Consider more leadership development for employees so they can reach their full potential for the company - executive coaching?

8. "Embraces Innovation. Always In Motion."

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Edelman has assembled a staff with incredible intellectual capabilities and industry experience. The eclectic mix of skill sets, points of view and industry insight allows for more effective teamwork and better client service. New ideas are valued from every level of staff. Edelman is always in motion and the generation of ideas are never static or stale.

Cons

Edelman's global network is a clear and distinct market advantage, but navigating the global matrix can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Interoffice integration and knowledge sharing is fantastic, yet sessions need to have more pragmatic applications to real-life scenarios.

9. "Adrenaline ride of opportunities, deadlines and experiences"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is extremely entrepreneurial and you have many opportunities to grow a long-lasting career that is incredibly dynamic and engaging.

Cons

It is a competitive environment, which can make it intense at times. However, we hire smart and creative people who are interested in being successful and pushing the limits for new ideas, approaches, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on removing arbitrary barriers created internally by separate P&L structures between offices (and sometimes even within the same office).

10. "Keeps you on your toes..."

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people, innovative, creative, fast-paced, fun, engaging, office culture

Cons

work-life balance, lots of travel

Advice to Management

There needs to be greater connection between the firm's most senior leadership and younger employees. I see good interaction between these groups on the local level but very little interaction with the firm's top level.

11. "Growing pains for some things, too many traditional thinkers"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with top level clients, lots of opportunities to be an entrepreneur and try things.

Cons

Some Edelman leadership is lacking to give mid-level management (AS through VP) the right resources and junior staff can be sometimes incompetent or have no experience in how to execute PR. Client managers are afraid to fail.

Advice to Management

Look within to fix problems and don't be afraid to challenge clients to get budget or opportunities to bring them success.

Showing 107 of 1,575 reviews