Eden Scott Reviews in Glasgow, Scotland | Glassdoor

2.4
Eden Scott Director Guy Martin
Guy Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good Company and Good People"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time with Eden Scott. I worked there for almost 3 years after a former colleague from another agency moved across and told me some good things.

The people I worked with are / were some of the best I have worked with in my entire career. I am still friends with a number of them to this day and often miss the team camaraderie and fun we shared in the Glasgow office.

Lets have it right, this is agency recruitment people and it is always going to be about making money for the business. Eden Scott is a good set up for experienced recruiters who already know what they are doing and have a presence in the market but don't want to be caught up in ridiculous pointless KPIs and micro management. If you can justify to them that you can work better by tweaking some of your targets (i.e less visits but more candidate interviews), they will listen to you and work with you.

People have commented about the Directors not being very hands on or visible to new starts but to be fair, what company Directors usually are?? Its not their job to hold hands of new starters, that's what senior consultants and office managers are for. During my time, I enjoyed fantastic boat parties, performance lunches, black tie industry awards events and extravagant Christmas parties. All organised and paid for by the Directors. We also had regular office nights out and the Glasgow Manager was always happy to get the drinks in for everyone. The Directors aren't going to manage you through your career but they will reward you for a job well done, and if you do need to have a conversation with them about something, I dare say they will likely hear you out. For my part, I saw the Directors on occasion when they would frequent the office and found them to be quite willing to have a chat if you went and spoke to them. They always seemed to appreciate hearing about what was happening at the coal face.

Eden Scott still have a good name in the industry despite a bit of a recent revolving door situation with staff. However, this happens in recruitment. All agencies go through periods where they have the same staff for a few years and then a number move on within a few months of each other. I saw the same thing happen at the agency I was with before Eden Scott. Its not unique to them.

Overall I highly rate Eden Scott and would say they are well worth having a chat with if you are considering a move within or into the recruitment industry.

Cons

As with all companies, there are going to be some gripes. I know a few that were shared by a few colleagues such as -

1) Payroll function always delegated chasing PO numbers and invoices to the consultants as well as only letting you know last thing on a Friday if your temp was being paid which could really stress you out if you were already busy. However they may have addressed this now.

2) Sometimes felt like Edinburgh office was where the main focus was and that other offices didn't enjoy as much attention. Not really a con, just something that was noticed and again perhaps things have changed since.

3) Limited progression. This is not unique to Eden Scott but it can be an issue unless you join a corporate giant like a Hays or a Michael Page.
    Career progression is really only going to go so far as base salary increases and being appointed to a more senior level of consultant. For a lot of experienced consultants, they are quite happy with this as they have no interest in managing a team and would prefer to be billing and earning commission.

However, if you are thinking that you will do the consultant piece for a couple years and then automatically transition into a business manager role and put the feet up and relax, its not going to happen. Even the most senior of staff at Eden Scott will still pick up the phone on occasion and fill a job!

Don't get me wrong, if you have ideas about where you would like to be further down the line, the management will always have a chat with you and hear you out, however in small-medium agencies you need to bear in mind there might not always be the same opportunities.

3) IT systems. Less to do with Eden Scott as an employer and more to do with their choice of IT support so I cant be too critical! However, the IT systems would regularly struggle which could make it difficult to complete tasks on occasion.

Advice to Management

Take on board some of the critical comments others have made but also take most of it with a pinch of salt. When people leave on bad terms they tend to vent. There are a lot of things Eden Scott do very well and the company is doing well in what is now a far more competitive market for recruitment agencies.

If it hasn't already happened, perhaps look into updating the IT systems, adding some internal support to the payroll function to relieve a little stress on consultants and maybe start to develop a more clear cut career progression plan that is reviewed regularly between consultants and management.

One thing that I know another agency does and gets a good response to is Director - Staff Q&A once a quarter. Company Directors will visit an office and spend an hour or so answering questions put to them by the sales floor. It is a pretty straight forward and informal conversation, designed so that the consultants get to blow off a little steam and also get quick responses to any issues they may be having.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Its based City Centre and handy when interviewing candidates and client visits

Cons

Poor leadership from the owners of Eden Scott
    Lack of Training or any type of support
    You need to be part of the boys club in Edinburgh to get promoted
    It would be more fun to work in a grave yard than for this organisation

Eden Scott Response

Jul 13, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review, we very much appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on our business.

Our leadership team have built the business from a small start-up in 2003 to a thriving... More