Eden Scott Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Eden Scott Director Guy Martin
Guy Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company, some improvements needed"

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time

Pros

Great office location and working culture. No strict KPIs or micromanagement. Everyone left to get on and do the job they are there to do. Good development and training provided for all staff. Very social office with nice people working there!

Cons

IT systems & database starting to date and offices looking quite tired and shabby, showing their age.

Advice to Management

Keep the working culture. Improve the working environment with some decorating/furniture/revamp as offices are looking and feeling dated and old compared to a lot of companies these days.

"Happy here!"

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment, encouraged to continually learn & develop, travel opportunities to events & conferences etc, great commission & perks, no KPI environment -focus on letting the quality of our work drive the quantity, great central office locations, great people!

Cons

Beautiful building but would prefer a more open plan, modern office in Edinburgh. Would be good to see the whole team every day! Perhaps something for the future..

3. "Could be so much better."

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff are friendly for the most part.

Cons

- Messy and under utilized Systems.
    - A large number of their key staff who made this business a success have left over the past 2 years which is a testament to this degrading business.
    - When someone leaves they start bad mouthing them which is very unprofessional
    - Lack of overall company vision and collaboration across Eden Scott's different divisions

"Good Company and Good People"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time with Eden Scott. I worked there for almost 3 years after a former colleague from another agency moved across and told me some good things.

The people I worked with are / were some of the best I have worked with in my entire career. I am still friends with a number of them to this day and often miss the team camaraderie and fun we shared in the Glasgow office.

Lets have it right, this is agency recruitment people and it is always going to be about making money for the business. Eden Scott is a good set up for experienced recruiters who already know what they are doing and have a presence in the market but don't want to be caught up in ridiculous pointless KPIs and micro management. If you can justify to them that you can work better by tweaking some of your targets (i.e less visits but more candidate interviews), they will listen to you and work with you.

People have commented about the Directors not being very hands on or visible to new starts but to be fair, what company Directors usually are?? Its not their job to hold hands of new starters, that's what senior consultants and office managers are for. During my time, I enjoyed fantastic boat parties, performance lunches, black tie industry awards events and extravagant Christmas parties. All organised and paid for by the Directors. We also had regular office nights out and the Glasgow Manager was always happy to get the drinks in for everyone. The Directors aren't going to manage you through your career but they will reward you for a job well done, and if you do need to have a conversation with them about something, I dare say they will likely hear you out. For my part, I saw the Directors on occasion when they would frequent the office and found them to be quite willing to have a chat if you went and spoke to them. They always seemed to appreciate hearing about what was happening at the coal face.

Eden Scott still have a good name in the industry despite a bit of a recent revolving door situation with staff. However, this happens in recruitment. All agencies go through periods where they have the same staff for a few years and then a number move on within a few months of each other. I saw the same thing happen at the agency I was with before Eden Scott. Its not unique to them.

Overall I highly rate Eden Scott and would say they are well worth having a chat with if you are considering a move within or into the recruitment industry.

Cons

As with all companies, there are going to be some gripes. I know a few that were shared by a few colleagues such as -

1) Payroll function always delegated chasing PO numbers and invoices to the consultants as well as only letting you know last thing on a Friday if your temp was being paid which could really stress you out if you were already busy. However they may have addressed this now.

2) Sometimes felt like Edinburgh office was where the main focus was and that other offices didn't enjoy as much attention. Not really a con, just something that was noticed and again perhaps things have changed since.

3) Limited progression. This is not unique to Eden Scott but it can be an issue unless you join a corporate giant like a Hays or a Michael Page.
    Career progression is really only going to go so far as base salary increases and being appointed to a more senior level of consultant. For a lot of experienced consultants, they are quite happy with this as they have no interest in managing a team and would prefer to be billing and earning commission.

However, if you are thinking that you will do the consultant piece for a couple years and then automatically transition into a business manager role and put the feet up and relax, its not going to happen. Even the most senior of staff at Eden Scott will still pick up the phone on occasion and fill a job!

Don't get me wrong, if you have ideas about where you would like to be further down the line, the management will always have a chat with you and hear you out, however in small-medium agencies you need to bear in mind there might not always be the same opportunities.

3) IT systems. Less to do with Eden Scott as an employer and more to do with their choice of IT support so I cant be too critical! However, the IT systems would regularly struggle which could make it difficult to complete tasks on occasion.

Advice to Management

Take on board some of the critical comments others have made but also take most of it with a pinch of salt. When people leave on bad terms they tend to vent. There are a lot of things Eden Scott do very well and the company is doing well in what is now a far more competitive market for recruitment agencies.

If it hasn't already happened, perhaps look into updating the IT systems, adding some internal support to the payroll function to relieve a little stress on consultants and maybe start to develop a more clear cut career progression plan that is reviewed regularly between consultants and management.

One thing that I know another agency does and gets a good response to is Director - Staff Q&A once a quarter. Company Directors will visit an office and spend an hour or so answering questions put to them by the sales floor. It is a pretty straight forward and informal conversation, designed so that the consultants get to blow off a little steam and also get quick responses to any issues they may be having.

"No, Just No."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I chose Eden Scott over several other agencies as I truly believed that they were different. They have a good reputation when it comes to clients and their candidate management is reasonable too. Salaries and benefits are good and for the most part, the staff are OK. Luke warm wine is served in the last Friday of every month. Oh and the lads all go golfing on a regular basis.

Cons

It's very much a 'face fits' environment. You'll learn very quickly if yours doesn't. There's no support structure in place or real training so you have to learn quickly and pretty much on a trial and error basis (as no one has time to answer your questions) !
    There are lots of cliques within departments and with the exception of a few, no 'genuine' people (especially directors). There's no real leadership from Directors (only 2 of whom I actually have respect for!) in fact for the entire duration of my employment, no meetings either team or company, team building, motivational chats etc! only talk of boat parties, golf days and of course it's only the favourites that get /want to go!
    Longer serving staff are in it for themselves and will stab you in the back without blinking! There's very little trust and if you don't like the way things are done, don't even think about making your feelings known.
    This company isn't for everyone, so think long and hard before joining!

Advice to Management

Directors should take a real interest in new starts - invest a bit of time - invite them out to play golf? It's slightly embarrassing for a 'reputable' recruitment company to have failed repeatedly with their own recruitment......

Jul 12, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Eden Scott with a review, we value your feedback.

Thank you for highlighting our good reputation in the market with our clients and candidates, it is... More

""Avoid Avoid Avoid""

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Eden Scott full-time

Pros

Eden Scott grab you with talks of summer boat parties, incentives and being your own boss however as soon as you start you will begin to realise it is a bunch of consultants only looking out for themselves and will back-stab you, steal your clients and ignore you to become no.1!

Cons

Directors don't take kindly to glassdoor reviews and recently sent an email labelling people that have left reviews as 'a couple of crazies (or the same person)' and they 'don't want to give this site or a few randoms too much oxygen'!! Basically telling everyone to get on glassdoor and write positive reviews! Hence why you will see an influx of positive reviews every so often.

No sense of loyalty at Eden Scott and all the directors have favourite consultants and if your not one of them, prepared to be ignored, very much a boys club and you would need to be one of the favourites to even think about getting promoted!

Certain consultant walks all over their manager and seems to think their in charge while making the rest of the team feel like dirt and other people watch and don't say a word.

Advice to Management

Directors take the time to get to know consultants, maybe it should be you that takes a few new consultants out for lunch and make them feel part of Eden Scott.

Jul 12, 2017 – Marketing Manager

We’re sorry we didn’t get back to you quicker on your original review, we were getting to work on your suggestions. But thank you again for re-posting.

Thank you for your review, we very much... More

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Its based City Centre and handy when interviewing candidates and client visits

Cons

Poor leadership from the owners of Eden Scott
    Lack of Training or any type of support
    You need to be part of the boys club in Edinburgh to get promoted
    It would be more fun to work in a grave yard than for this organisation

Jul 13, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review, we very much appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on our business.

Our leadership team have built the business from a small start-up in 2003 to a thriving... More

"Avoid Avoid Avoid"

Jul 12, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review, we very much appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. Recruitment is a competitive world but we have always been very proud of the teamwork here at Eden Scott... More

"This is a great business!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best in the business and a great place to learn, develop and bill well. Any really great folks here that ever leave go on to big jobs in-house or start their own firms. Many others like me choose to stay here and help continue to build something special. Great life/work balance, supportive top team and just a fun place all round.

Cons

We should continue to explore options to connect all our teams and functions a little tighter to help max out of shared market opportunities. Maybe time to look at what we can do outside of largely just our Scottish markets?

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. Burst of a few poor hires recently but thankfully that's over and we crack on as ever. There's some angry folks out there! After the big push into energy it's now a case of what's the next big thing for us; overseas offices maybe?

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have not felt compelled to write a review about any of the companies I have worked for - however I wanted to contribute to Glassdoor as there have been a couple of not only negative reviews, but quite personal ones posted lately.

It's a shame that these will tarnish Eden Scott's excellent reputation. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else...... I love the environment here. Yes you have to work hard, but you do get rewarded for that - both financially and the managers acknowledge the hard work you put in. It is definitely not an easy industry to work in, but then that's part of the reason I love being here! If it was easy - wouldn't everyone be a recruitment consultant?!

Eden Scott provide you with the tools you need to do the job and the support and guidance to help you. If you cannot make a success of it there, you are unlikely to succeed elsewhere.

Cons

There have been a few changes lately, but if you look at the people who are in the company, they have been there for a decent length of time. This industry generally has a high turnover and I think Eden Scott are one of the better ones. As I mentioned, recruitment isn't for everyone and some people are not willing to accept that. There are always improvements that can be made and at least the managers here are willing to listen and take on board the ideas from the team.

Advice to Management

Don't worry about the bitter reviews - clearly they are not the full picture of life at Eden Scott. Focus on the great team you have and continue to provide the support and training to staff. Keep sharing industry information and celebrate the continued success!