Eden Scott Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eden Scott Director Guy Martin
Guy Martin

1. "This is a great business!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best in the business and a great place to learn, develop and bill well. Any really great folks here that ever leave go on to big jobs in-house or start their own firms. Many others like me choose to stay here and help continue to build something special. Great life/work balance, supportive top team and just a fun place all round.

Cons

We should continue to explore options to connect all our teams and functions a little tighter to help max out of shared market opportunities. Maybe time to look at what we can do outside of largely just our Scottish markets?

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. Burst of a few poor hires recently but thankfully that's over and we crack on as ever. There's some angry folks out there! After the big push into energy it's now a case of what's the next big thing for us; overseas offices maybe?

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have not felt compelled to write a review about any of the companies I have worked for - however I wanted to contribute to Glassdoor as there have been a couple of not only negative reviews, but quite personal ones posted lately.

It's a shame that these will tarnish Eden Scott's excellent reputation. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else...... I love the environment here. Yes you have to work hard, but you do get rewarded for that - both financially and the managers acknowledge the hard work you put in. It is definitely not an easy industry to work in, but then that's part of the reason I love being here! If it was easy - wouldn't everyone be a recruitment consultant?!

Eden Scott provide you with the tools you need to do the job and the support and guidance to help you. If you cannot make a success of it there, you are unlikely to succeed elsewhere.

Cons

There have been a few changes lately, but if you look at the people who are in the company, they have been there for a decent length of time. This industry generally has a high turnover and I think Eden Scott are one of the better ones. As I mentioned, recruitment isn't for everyone and some people are not willing to accept that. There are always improvements that can be made and at least the managers here are willing to listen and take on board the ideas from the team.

Advice to Management

Don't worry about the bitter reviews - clearly they are not the full picture of life at Eden Scott. Focus on the great team you have and continue to provide the support and training to staff. Keep sharing industry information and celebrate the continued success!

"The best kind of recruitment agency..."

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Eden Scott (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recruitment can be a tough job and unfortunately the industry as a whole doesn't have a great reputation. As such it's really important to find the a company that genuinely values it's employees, provides a supporting & fun working environment and allows you to work in a way that works best for you - Eden Scott does just that.

I've worked in other agencies where consultants are expected to give up their social life for the job, work ridiculous hours and be micro-managed over ridiculous KPIs. Eden Scott employees are trusted with the autonomy to get on with the job and are very well rewarded.. Personalised incentives are offered alongside a competitive commission structure and promotions & career progression are up for grabs for anyone who wants to work hard to achieve them. The directors and senior leadership team are always happy to provide advice and training & there is an excellent mentorship programme in place for those who really want to push themselves to that next level.

Cons

I genuinely can't think of one - have loved my 4 years here!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! And more boat parties!

"In Serious Decline"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eden Scott used to be a good agency with a strong reputation for professionalism and values. They created a supportive and enjoyable working environment but sadly this has eroded extensively over recent times.

Cons

Unfair and disparaging comments by management which not only offend current but previous employees was an incredibly stupid move and unfortunately it has backfired massively. Yes the industry is renowned for high turnover but if Eden Scott think that their employee retention rate over the past 12 months is industry average then they are clearly just deluding themselves.

Admit you have lost experienced and talented consultants who were successful before Eden Scott, during their time with Eden Scott and who continue to be successful in their recruitment roles post Eden Scott. The only common denominator in this sad situation is Eden Scott themselves. So please stop suggesting ex-employees of Eden Scott don’t have the necessary or inherent skills required to their jobs successfully.

Advice to Management

The so called negative reviews by previous employees are neither inaccurate nor do I think intentionally meant to be personal but rather an honest account of individual employee experience at Eden Scott. Its baffling to me why something hasn’t been done sooner to protect the reputation this business had worked so hard to achieve. Instead of labelling ex-employees as bitter, accept responsibility, recognise the areas in your business that need urgent improvement and perhaps you can then begin to stop the rot. If not this once good recruitment business will continue to implode.

6. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general working for any agency is hard work and if I'm honest I wouldn't recommend it as a career. I am quite shocked at some of the negative reviews of Eden ascot. As recruitment agencies go they're one of the better ones.

Depending on which team you're in, they aren't too bothered about KPIs and targets and do let you get on with it.

If you're 100% sure you want a career in recruitment I would recommend Eden Scott but in general recruitment is very out dated, all companies (inc Eden Scott) don't seem to trust employees or give them a lot of flexibility.

Cons

- total boys club. The boys go on holiday with the male directors and get taken away for free 'golf day' but the women Min the company get nothing!

- almost all directors don't give you the time of the day unless either 'your face fits' or you're making them lots of money

- Don't give you enough chance for personal development

- when someone leaves they start bad mouthing them which is totally unprofessional, they can't admit they've done wrong

Advice to Management

You're on the verge of ruining your reputation. Be more innovative and have more fun. All managers and directors should make more effort with new people instead of ignoring them.

Stop giving promotions to people who are friends with the directors. You've lost some very good staff who have gone on to do well at other agencies.

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Pros

The basic salary was good, but really I can't think of anything else to say. This used to be a good business - it is now the worst in Scotland with staff haemorrhaging from all divisions and offices.

Cons

No deal culture, no fun, no leadership, long serving staff hoard accounts, resourcers are paid poorly, no training, no career path, no database, awful commission. Oh and talent spark is a con, basically a CV graveyard used to reel in unsuspecting small businesses. This is the worst recruitment business I've worked for and I've over a decades worth of experience. it has VERY high staff turnover. I'd recommend contacting a few leavers on LinkedIn to get their take on the business before making a costly mistake.

Advice to Management

Get some values, stop lying about former employees reasons for leaving. General business advice - don't email the whole company an email which basically outlines that you're a recruitment business that can't recruit. If you are going to do this then I'd suggest you don't also write disparaging comments about the 20+ staff who have left in the last year.

"Recruitment as it should be."

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time

Pros

Mature work-force with a realistic and empathetic approach to managing relationships.
    Completely professional outlook to delivery and ambitious plans to promote growth within Scottish SMEs.
    Freedom and flexibility to deliver the service that way you want to.

Cons

Difficult to quantify in that the management are quite hands-off and so any negatives tend to be from yourself rather than the company.

Advice to Management

This is the way it should be so there is very little to change. It is important to keep ahead of the curve but I would argue we are a market leader in many respects.

"The Best Recruitment Company in Scotland."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Eden Scott (More than 3 years)

Pros

Firmly believe there is no other recruitment company like Eden Scott.

I chose eden scott for 3 reasons – their people, values and culture

I had a successful career in marketing for 5 years but knew that I wanted to progress my career further and become a thought leader within the industry
    Whilst speaking with the directors, my impression of the company was that they reward hard work and recruitment would give me the chance to own my own career and develop my commercial and entrepreneurial side. I have now been with the business for a number of years and my expectations have been fulfilled.

Eden Scott is led and owned by 3 inspirational business people and when choosing my next career move I was impressed by their passion, drive and integrity. They all came across as supportive and enthusiastic about the right people being in the business and always maintain the quality of their work and their staff

The recruitment industry has a somewhat tarnished reputation but eden scott live by their values of working closing with both candidates and clients to understand and deliver great results for each. Eden Scott set themselves apart from the competition because not only are their consultants experts in their industry they are also passionate about their work and working to extremely high standards. Something I firmly believe in .

Eden Scott is a fun and friendly place to work, with supportive managers and a really collegiate attitude toward their work. There is always drinks after work, charity challenges and parties going on. Never a dull moment!

Cons

Recruitment is a targeted business, if you are frightened of aiming for monetary targets then recruitment is not for you. However, if you are driven and ambitious and interested in Recruitment Eden Scott is the best company in Scotland.

Advice to Management

The mentoring scheme that has recently been implemented is fantastic

"Brilliant Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Eden Scott full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere - supportive and collaborative. Plenty of opportunities to progress and grow your career if you have the mindset to take responsibility for this. Love the balance of support and independence here. Central locations in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen.

Cons

None really - you are expected to use your initiative and for some people, this may feel a bit alien if you have come from a really tough KPI driven environment. You might thing you can relax a bit and coast, but you will soon notice nobody else is!

Advice to Management

Like the training and mentoring available - maybe have more opportunities for training / sharing knowledge.

"Consultant"

I worked at Eden Scott full-time

Pros

Excellent environment to work in and great opportunities to make commission. Managing director was supportive and very good to work for.

Cons

Downside would be that there was not an overseas office to progress to as I wished to work outside uk.

Advice to Management

To provide opportunities elsewhere in the world.