Edge Hosting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 13, 2017

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vlad Friedman

"Great people, Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Edge Hosting (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, great energy

Cons

Nothing to complain about, keep it up.

"Ditto what the last reviewer said, “Could be great, but isn't”"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Edge Hosting (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly workplace. I did learn quite a bit while I was there. Coworkers and management are happy to share their knowledge and experience. I actually like the CEO on a personal level. I do respect his passion and desire to deliver a great product to his customers. He did teach me a few things that I have carried with me in my present position.

Cons

I was fed a script to memorize verbatim. I was not allowed to develop my own thoughts or style. There were weekly sessions where I would present the CEO's script back to him. My perception was that the CEO was afraid to let go duties that he once performed himself. The small details seemed to be of the most importance. I believe that this type of management both hinders personal growth and the overall growth of the company. Much like the last reviewer, I too felt stupid and deflated after leaving the CEO's office. Another thing that seemed troubling is that there was very little visible growth from a sales perspective. The new business acquisition of any substantial size seemed to be flat-lined. At the same rate there was a lot of money spent on both new hires and datacenter infrastructure upgrades. It was puzzling. My manager was entirely unhelpful. I don't know what his function was, other than to smile and enthusiastically say hello.

Advice to Management

Understand that the interest of my review is not to publicly defame Edge Hosting. I hold zero grudges against the company. I truly wish you all the best! It is only in the interest of being helpful. That said, it's time to trust your employees. Also, trust your initial gut instincts. You hired your employees for a reason. Give them a little more freedom to develop, not without helpful nudges. You have a wealth of knowledge to offer. I believe that the training process could be revised to keep the employee more engaged. When a person becomes a parrot, the mind checks out. I truly believe that Edge could be a great company for all of your employees, much like you have proven to be to your customers. Let go. Trust. Guide. Prosper!

"Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Edge Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot.

Cons

Bully type atmosphere and an uneducated corporate mentality.

Advice to Management

Hire educated people if you want a more professional atmosphere. Get rid of bullies or turnover will continue. A Bully always needs a victim so there is sure to be both prior and future violations that will continue to put the company at risk.

"Interesting work, but highly stressful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Edge Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office culture, perks, location, industry

Cons

Leadership, personal growth, training, vision

"After 1 year"

Current Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Edge Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After working a year here, the number of technologies I touch on any given day is remarkable. One day it could be a DNS problem, on another it could be working with the load balencer, or a SQL back-up which needs to be tweaked. Working here will help build any resume who is serious about a career in IT. I find myself constantly being challenged in a fun and friendly atmosphere.

Plenty of company "perks" such as departmental quarterly outings, delicious food for company sponsored meetings, or some rockband/poker/Call of Duty events to build office camaraderie and friendly competition. This all gives an air of the prototypical ".net work environment" popularized on the west coast but right here in Baltimore.

Above average benefits and 401k plan, company treats their employees very well. I've always felt comfortable interacting (actually hanging out) with management and senior management. Truly laid back people in this company and I'm pretty anxious to grow with Edge Web Hosting.

Cons

Not much to complain about.

"A company with great culture"

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Edge Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Interesting technical problems to solve.
    * A very technology oriented company.
    * Great company culture (office happy hours, outings, etc).
    * Tons of growth.
    * A lot of opinionated people

Cons

* A lot of opinionated people.
    * Rapid growth is making it harder to know everyone in the company.

8. "Work with Edge"

I worked at Edge Hosting full-time

Pros

Great group of employees, great company benefits

Cons

Lots of discounted food, could add many calories working there.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work

"Mostly positives, working here has been a great experience."

I have been working at Edge Hosting full-time

Pros

Huge pros are the colleagues, advancement opportunities, environment, availability of training/certifications, company's commitment to your development, vested 401k, healthcare benefits.

It's a mid-size company for the moment, so of course there's not advancement opportunities for every single employee, but half of the lower level staff that comes in and sticks around for more than a certain amount of time seems to have moved up into the rest of the company once they've finished certifications/engineer-level training. Management style varies by which team you're on; Sales, Support, and Development seem to all be straightforward managers that I'd happily work under. I wouldn't consider their styles micromanagement, although there are definitely high expectations set for any employee coming in. They're usually pretty well defined which is nice (generally no sudden "why didn't you do this thing you don't know about?!" meetings). Mandatory training and advancement programs starting to roll out earlier this year. Those that have them in place are given time to work on advancement during their business day, which is rare.

For colleagues, you're working with a very large group of engineers (90% or more?). That means there's access to them as resources, but it also necessitates a willingness to learn (or contribute) rather than focusing on past achievements. It's a huge asset if you take advantage of it, whether to further educate yourself or to collaborate.

I consistently see others recognized for hard work and going above and beyond the expectations set. The company itself has begun changing direction recently to keep up with market trends--should continue to have opportunities for employees moving forward as initiatives pick up speed.

CEO and management seems to genuinely care about both employees and clients, which makes for a less stressful environment than others where I've worked (even with the innate stress of working for this kind of company).

PTO allowance is great!

Cons

Stress level (clients are usually using services as mission critical), organization for cross departmental projects (has improved greatly since I've been here with recent management hires, would like to see it continue in this direction). On-boarding can be a little hectic with everything going on and some people might get lost in it (might also naturally weed out those who aren't cut out for the pace, though, so grain of salt there). Taking PTO is a little limited (mostly self inflicted) due to need for staff to not disappear to Europe for two weeks in a row. This is more due to the nature of IT rather than this company, though, I've had the same "problem" elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards a seamless client experience and all of your employees benefit. More company-wide team building would be nice. I would love to be able to cash out or roll over unused PTO at the end of the year.

"Could be great, but isn't"

Pros

Great co-workers, free lunch every other week, interesting and growing industry, great location in downtown Bmore, free parking in garage

Cons

CEO is condescending, rude, and loves micromanaging. I graduated college with a near perfect GPA but I felt like a dummy every time I left his office and constantly worried about being fired. Lots of in-fighting in management staff that trickles down to inconsistent and confusing directions. Makes for a really unnecessarily stressful environment

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do the job you hired them for without breathing down their necks

Edge Hosting Response

Sep 19, 2016 – CEO

For the last 25 years, it has been our mission to hire and retain the best and most talented people in the managed services industry. While having high expectations of our teams can be a challenge ... More

"Support..."

I have been working at Edge Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great easy going environment to work in. Plenty of perks and opportunities to learn.

Cons

No real mobility, company still needs to work out a structure.