Edinburgh Woollen Mill Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Edinburgh Woollen Mill Chief Executive Philip Day
Philip Day

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fantastic manager & co-workers, staff discount, some parts of uniform provided, sweet customers (in 8 reviews)

• great staff and work atmosphere (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Rude area manager, there's a huge sence of hierarchy between them and us (in 11 reviews)

• Nothing ever got fixed regardless off how many times you told head office (in 10 reviews)

1. "appalling"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Edinburgh Woollen Mill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great staff and work atmosphere

Cons

the company doesn't care about staff they will dock your pay even if seriously ill mid shift

Advice to Management

save youself from insanity and dump this company like toxic waste

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Stratford, London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Stratford, London, England (UK)

I worked at Edinburgh Woollen Mill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Left to work alone a lot of own initiative encouraged and welcomed learn health and safety managing teams merchandising encouraged to do fashion shows and grow business

Cons

Lack of training support and low wage not visited by am enough and inconsistent actions given a lot of heavy lifting extra unpaid hours never get time owed back

Advice to Management

Listen to managers support them more

3. "Working at Edinburgh Woollen Mill"

I have been working at Edinburgh Woollen Mill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career Development
    Opportunities to gain qualifications supported by the business
    Discount on all brands such as Peacocks, Jane Norman, Ponden Home as well as discounts on other retailers

Cons

Communication needs to improve.

Advice to Management

Provide clear communication to all employees

4. "Horrible place to work"

I worked at Edinburgh Woollen Mill full-time

Pros

Other staff and store managers were fantastic to work with.

Cons

Lack of investment in the stores. Nothing ever got fixed regardless off how many times you told head office. Our store had no heating but even in the depths of winter we had to have the doors wide open. Then you get moaned at for not meeting targets but it is too cold for the customers to try anything on!!

You are not allowed to do any "tasking" between 10 and 4 even if there are no customers. Then area managers complain when stuff doesn't get done. So you basically have 2½ hours a day to unpack delivery, refill stock, change window displays, change promotions, action mark downs etc. Totally ridiculous system!

Regional/area managers were pure evil. Calling the store numerous times a day demanding to know why targets weren't met. Blizzards, torrential rain, blocked roads so people couldn't get into town were no excuse for takings being down.

They also make you pounce on customers demanding to know what size they are looking for etc. This is all monitored by the store manager and has to be written on a chart!!

Advice to Management

You will actually make more money if you allow the staff to do other jobs than harassing the customers all day. You may have no respect for your core staff but they are all capable of multi tasking and can see when a customer needs help. If you let them stock up during the day all the sizes would be out and you wouldn't have staff running back and forth to the stock room. COMMON SENSE

5. "Promising start but feel very let down by the company. No support, progression or development."

I worked at Edinburgh Woollen Mill full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lovely staff in store, really good team to work with.

Cons

Tired old store not meeting its full potential. No support from management. Constant pressure to increase conversion which is an awful kpi to work with.

Advice to Management

Reinvest in your teams and your stores. Scrap conversion and concentrate on improving the average spend of people who want to buy.

"immoral and illegal practices"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Edinburgh Woollen Mill part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work mates are good to work with. That's about it.

Cons

Top management have utter contempt for their staff, shop managers and area managers. The company didn't let its supervisors know their new rates two years in a row following the new "living wage". Very shameful indeed. Depriving supervisors of their right to know and choose.

Advice to Management

Get a spine

7. "The loveliest sales advisor job."

Current Employee - Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor

I have been working at Edinburgh Woollen Mill part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers, team members and my lovely manager. I'm honestly shocked to see the reviews on here, as this was my first job I ever had and I've only ever experienced encouragement to progress. Currently learning how to cash up etc. I don't know the ins and outs of being a manager, but I know that mine is happy and well supported. An extremely caring environment to work in.

Cons

My area manager. Not nice. Not sure he understands what it's like to actually work on the shop floor and try to hit those targets when there's no customers coming through the door. You can't convert customers that aren't there!

Advice to Management

More praise!!! Can't speak for other areas, but ours STRUGGLES and we work so hard to reach our targets. We rarely get thanked by anyone but our customers.

"Sales Associate"

Pros

Your pay, is to a surprising degree, paid to you.
    They provide you with a uniform badge, guess the pro is you don't have to buy it yourself like every other item of uniform.

Cons

Where to start.

Let's address customer's 'wants' and 'needs'. If the customer does need nor want it, EWM's tactic is tough, your selling it to the customer anyway. They are a greedy company who expect staff to be able to generate sales from customers who are not interested in purchasing. Let that process, the customer does not want, yet we are pressured and expect to sell the item.

If we do not meet targets, we are always to blame. Factors such as lower footfall, no customers to sell to, recession, weather, events and holidays etc etc oh no they are not contributing factors. It's just the employees to blame, always.

You are not granted holidays in relation to what you have worked over the year, but just your contracted hours which no surprisingly are much lower than what they expect you to work.

The 'benefits' make me laugh. We were paid minimum wage yet expected to run the store like it was our own. I was constantly rushed off my feet and was expected to bend my life in order to help the organisation. They would expect me to cover shifts last minute, complete jobs out with my job description, forfeit breaks at peak hours, etc all with a smile! Comical. The best is yet to come, so with out minimal wage you would expect some other enticing benefit, maybe a staff discount? Oh yes we did have a discount, a full 20% off. The same 20% off the customers received basically once every 2 months on promotional weekends. You may be thinking at least you got your staff 20% off on top of promotional 20% off days, well no, no we never. We are as important to the company as a ransomer who walks through the front door.

Products, Where to start. I would argue more stock is faulty than not. It's cheaply made with high markups. Ironically everything is in sale. Comes in half price, how does that work? Don't ask me. I mean a brand new season single bedding was £60 now £30 is reasonable right? Half the time we spent marking item up to come down again, which had been on sale for day £20 for weeks, now it was going £40 to £20. The company will do anything to deceive the customers.

Staff. Working with my employees was highly demotivating. The team was dead, no one had a spring to their attitude, and rightly so. The company had created a 'team' of robotic, overworked individuals who were expected to go that extra mile for nothing in return, not even an appreciative thank you.

Head office and higher levelled staff have no respect for employees, who can I remind you are the organisation's biggest asset. Unfortunately, the market has so much potential, however, the operation of the organisation will forever limit company growth and an enjoyable workplace.

"Worst company ever"

Pros

Nice clothes for oldies, though.

Cons

It's a control freak company. They want you to be pushy and approach customers with their own language. Just harass the customers on the shop floor and don't let them go until you squeeze the last ££ of them. Although they lost a case in Employment Tribunal for not paying people's holiday entitlements when they leave, they still refuse to pay your entitlements. Never pay sick pay and rely on students work or pensioners as staff who don't question their holiday pay and work for less then minimum wage. Stock is made in Bangladesh, Mongolia and China and sold as being made in Britain. No respect for their staff and customers who are often called rude or animals. Poor quality products but who cares as they go away with tourists and aren't returned. Lot's of bitchiness from top to bottom.

Advice to Management

Go back to school as you miss basic education and common sense.

"No no no no!"

I have been working at Edinburgh Woollen Mill full-time

Pros

- Fortunate to work with a lovely team
    - discount card

Cons

Focused on maximising profits and cutting costs, no care for their employees it is a very hard run company. As long as profits are high, they are not concerned nor do they want to hear it. No extra's for the hardworking teams that run the shop and very very basic pay for the amount of work they expect from you (managers and supervisors). They take holidays from you if you have not worked your contracted yearly hours but taken more holidays (understandable) but will pay you £1 for ALL the holidays you have missed out on and not had time to take.

If your contracted hours fall on an Easter Sunday, Christmas Day etc etc then you have to take it as days holiday. Almost laughable.

Rude area manager, there's a huge sence of hierarchy between them and us.

Definitely not a company that I can speak highly of when telling others. I am contracted as a sales assistant but expected to do the hours and work of a supervisor/manager on £6.95 an hour.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees!! Management need to realise that we are the reason you are getting paid. I'm very surprised they have gone this far with no complaints. How have a such a large company not realised that employees should be treated with much more respect and kindness. Stop worrying about how keeping postal costs down and focus on ensuring your employees are not overworked and are praised for the work we do.