Edmonds Community College Reviews in Lynnwood, WA | Glassdoor

Lynnwood, WA

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jack Oharah

1. "Front Office Assistant"

Current Employee - Front Office Assistant in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Front Office Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and stable job

Cons

Not much work to do.

2. "ESL Advising Assistant"

Former Employee - ESL Advising Assistant in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - ESL Advising Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Friendly and laid-back working environment, communicating with humble ESL students and staff members

Cons

too little hours to work

Advice to Management

Assign more helpful projects

3. "Program Asst- Allied Health Education"

Former Employee - WA - Washington in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - WA - Washington in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reduced tuition, help others succeed in pursuing education. Flexible work schedule. Close-knit employee community.

Cons

Low pay/benefits, major budget cuts/restrictions. Language barrier with students. Low language skills/education requirements for student enrollment into critical medical care programs.

Advice to Management

Raise requirements/qualifications for students entering medical nursing fields. Stricter language/communication requirements for students entering medical/care giving programs.

5. "Program Assistant"

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in a learning environment was fantastic. I loved seeing the excitement in the students as well as coworkers as the students achieved their educational goals to improve their lives.

Cons

Some beneficial support programs were cut due to funding budget cuts.

6. "Database Administrator"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College full-time

Pros

The Application Development Services team is very good. The network department is a work in progress.

Cons

Edmonds is a small college and the compensation is lower than other community colleges and much lower than the general IT industry.

Advice to Management

Compensation should be based on actual employee performance and contribution rather than just longevity.

7. "I really enjoyed being a tutor. There are many hard working people there."

Former Employee - Tutor in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your are currently a student at EdCC, there is little better you could do than tutor. I suggest tutoring the subject that you are interested in continuing your education for. Nothing helps you understand a subject like teaching it.

Cons

The role of the tutor is not always well defined - this is potentially problematic if a tutor is over-eager to help a student, or if the student is looking for an inappropriate level of assistance.

Advice to Management

Clear up the limits of what tutors can and cannot help with. Also, consider adding more group sessions as this can give people interested in education experience.

8. "Friendly & helpful environment with lots of new teacher support & materials"

Current Contractor - English Teacher in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Contractor - English Teacher in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful teachers, administrators, & staff who were all really supportive and helpful. They have a lead teacher who will help you prepare for everything, from the syllabus and curriculum, to lesson plans and activities!

Cons

The shared common work room was a new concept for me. Although I fully understand why they need that (so many teachers throughout the day and no way to provide personal computers for everyone), it was annoying and time consuming to put all of your stuff away and take it out before/after every class (if they can find you room in a cupboard). Also, some computers may or may not be actually hooked up correctly to printers, etc. Other than that, I felt attendance was an issue (perhaps because it is a community college and not a university?) more so than other places I've taught. Next time, I would be stricter.

9. "Great Benefits and Dedicated People"

Current Employee - Instructor in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing management, people, and everyone is passionate about their job.

Cons

Being a part time employee it's hard to know when/what classes you are teaching until the very last minute.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the younger generation and their ideas of making a department better.

10. "A good start to my education and professional career"

Current Employee - Writing Assistant in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Writing Assistant in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid-back, easygoing work environment. My supervisor was very adapt at both running her department but not over-working or stepping on the staff.

Cons

Pay was low at the time, but it was part-time student work. I felt like there was no room for growth without first finishing my studies.

Advice to Management

No real advice here, everything seemed to run like a well-oiled, if large, machine.

11. "Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at Edmonds Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is easy, positive environment, great work balance. Lots of vacation time and I am free to use it whenever I want. That is Great!!

Cons

Procedures and computer software are antiquated. Circa 1988. They still have documents that need to be “typed”