Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance here is wonderful" (in 24 reviews)

• "Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Edmunds is located in Santa Monica" (in 12 reviews)

• "Will often shift the entire company's focus once a year with little to no follow through" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I am so proud to work at Edmunds!"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

The heart of this company is so strong. I feel like the leaders really care about employee feedback and want to do everything they can to create a great place to work. I appreciate how transparent the leaders are and that they continue efforts to make sure we are all informed and feel connected to the company's goals - It creates such a strong momentum that is building. The people here are amazing!! I've never worked with such talented, dedicated individuals. I feel proud to call them my friends and colleagues! Lastly, I get to focus on interesting work -- I have grown professionally and personally more in my time here than at any other point in my career!

Cons

It's sometimes hard to prioritize because there is so much that I want to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all of your efforts! Keep it up.

"The best place I have worked so far"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

Great Technology and People , has been so for some years now. Still enjoying the flexibility of ROWE. Very competitive pay /benefits and perks. Always recommend this place to all my friends

Cons

Management direction keeps wavering, better to make the UI simple make prices transparent and make it easy for the customer, though I have been recommending edmunds as a company to work for to my friends I cant say the same for edmunds.com as the place to buy cars

"So Disappointing..."

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Met a lot of great, caring employees who interact with our dealer partners. Unfortunately, Edmunds is losing these talented employees to other companies who understand the importance of their relationship with employees.

Cons

Edmunds used to be a great company! However, due to the website not performing and dealer cancellations, great employees are leaving. Last year, the company laid off a significant number of employees and are currently on a hiring freeze.

Don’t be fooled by the state-of-the-art building and free Yogurt.
    This company, as stated in several reviews, is a good old boys club! As a frontline employee, you are micromanaged, tracked, and bullied into just doing your job and keeping your mouth shut. Sales goals are unrealistic and dealers are canceling at an alarming rate.

Advice to Management

“Employees don’t quit Jobs – they quit Managers”. Start listening to your employees and treat them with respect. Managers who withhold opportunities, fail to communicate or fail to appreciate good work will not inspire loyalty.

"Very Disappointing..."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company provided food, nice office, SOME of the people are awesome and inspiring

Cons

Company likes to brag about how they’re one of the best places to work, but they’re hiding so many negatives once you sign the offer. They pulled me in with the ‘set your own hours’ and work from home as much as you want idea, only to find out a couple months later the company decides to change their ROWE policy and now wants employees in the office much more often. How? Why? When my job is already getting done and well might I add. And with my current salary I can’t afford to live closer to allow more time in the office. Management hires and promotes people based solely on knowledge or education and not based on their people or soft skills. Lots of stress placed on people who aren’t paid enough. Family oriented? Not really! I would not recommend working here. I almost regret responding to that LinkedIn message, disrupted my life with a total front. LIFE, that’s an important word. You’re dealing with peoples’ lives here.

Advice to Management

Stop stressing your employees!

"Account Executive"

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

The product was a leading lead source for automotive dealerships.

Cons

The management team is how most people that have left a recent review stated, they are under qualified managers with little to no experience. The southeast and mid Atlantic are the lowest ranking regions with the highest turnover in employees and clients. On top of the poor management the product has become a non performer. Just use Google to verify.

Advice to Management

The executive has the skills to lead, and until they do your decline in revenue will be the only results you see. Laying employees off and placing an hiring freeze is not the way to turn an annual profit.

"Sinking ship"

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally employ good people who are just trying to make a living.

Cons

Family run business means top executives are all family, family friends, husbands/wives, nephews, cousins.....No experience at other firms over their career = disillusioned sense of selves, lack ability to make strategic decisions, blinded by lack of expertise. Being out-smarted in product, sales, marketing by their competitive set. Only a matter of time before bought, merge or go under.

"can' believe this company is still in business"

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

great technology and place to learn if you're a recent graduate

Cons

leadership can't see the forest from the trees....truecar + KBB are eating their lunch

Advice to Management

look to acquire or be acquired

"My favorite job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Edmunds has been an amazing place to launch my career. I'm truly proud of the work I've done, how much I've grown, how much Edmunds has invested in me, and all of the talented people I work with.

The work life balance here is wonderful. I not only look forward to coming to work, but I love doing what I do and feel supported by my manager.

The office is stunning. While we have an open floor plan there are many private areas you can work in as well. Working from home is always an option too.

Compensation and benefits seem to be on par with other larger tech companies.

Cons

The recent layoffs in October really shocked a lot of people.

Some products seem to get created hastily without much thought only to be shut down soon after being released.

Upward mobility seems a little unclear for the time being.

"sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great overall culture. Company truly does care about its customers and employees.

Cons

Sometimes too quick on new things to focus on.

Advice to Management

Evolve / innovate/lead

"Director"

Current Employee - Director of Product in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edmunds is one-of-a-kind place to work. Its pioneer spirit (i.e., the company basically started the 3rd party car shopping & buying industry 20 years ago) is still very much a driving force in how the company operates. Three reasons give Edmunds an edge:

- Product teams are hard at work continuously testing and innovating around the customer experience. This creates an enormous learning opportunity for junior and senior employees alike to own substantial part of the road map and experiment with ideas and concepts.

- As a privately owned company whose owners are actively involved in management, Edmunds gives employees direct access into how tough decisions are made and executed. This alone is a sizable learning opportunity for anyone considering applying to Edmunds.

- Edmunds has a strong culture based on optimism, camaraderie, and a belief in individual responsibility. The company expects hard work, but is also very generous with personal time to learn, relax, and re-charge (e.g., very flexible vacation policy + Thinking Thursdays with no meetings).

Cons

Edmunds can do a better job branding itself to the outside world. A lot of the great work that happens in the office doesn't always translate well when we interact with dealers and customers. There is a sense of internal pride mixed with occasional external lack of confidence as to who the company is and what makes its product and position unique.

Advice to Management

Prioritize more and plan large product & business changes in a more timely manner to avoid a series of important changes happening all at the same time which may be distressing to more junior or less seasoned employees.

Make bolder decisions and more aggressive bets on the future. Reason out of where Edmunds must be 5 years from now, not from where Edmunds is today.