Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living (in 48 reviews)

• Other pros are the Results only work environment and the really cool office space/d (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance but what does that mean and to who (in 7 reviews)

• Bad traffic leads to bad commutes to work in the Santa Monica area (in 9 reviews)

"Good place to work but lacks clear vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Openness in culture, nice working space. Can choose to work on different technologies or streams of development. Management listens.

Cons

Unrealistic timelines and knee jerk product development. Lots of lip service to empower end user but ultimately company goals driven purely by sales and traffic.

Advice to Management

Focus on fundamental and incremental improvements instead of going nowhere fast.

"Incompetent management and poor product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good co-workers (Non-management)
    * Great office space & location
    * Time away from work policy

Cons

* Surprisingly bad management in terms of both decision making and skills. They seem to read "hot" industry trends every week and try to follow them half-heartedly.
    * Not at all transparent
    * Low salary. Engineers, Analysts, Scientists aren't paid much, definitely below industry standards.
    * High stress job as management keeps changing direction and is never sure what they want to do.
    * Lot of popularity based baseless promotions, almost half the company is director/manager
    * No one has backbone in management to do or say the right thing to Executives. Culture of blindly following.
    * 58 people were let go but no one from Management or Executive position. Company is in bad shape because of bad product decisions. Don't understand why people who actually did the work were let go.
    * No longer ROWE
    * Too many meetings. Management keeps scheduling meetings to make them look busy and relevant. Of course, this wastes a lot of productive time of engineers/analysts/scientists. Saddest thing is - they rarely have anything good to contribute to process, they just cause more confusion. Which is clearly seen in the way products are launched and managed.
    * Surprisingly in this data intensive age, they let go lot of talented people from Data Science and Analytics department while they still have entire departments intact that literally do copy-paste kind of jobs in 2017 which can be and should be automated. Baffling! As they don't have nearly enough resources to work on data related projects.

Advice to Management

Quit.

"The little company that can't."

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

There are some incredibly talented and devoted employees that made the work experience enjoyable.

Cons

Unfortunately, upper management consistently ignores the employees in the trenches that are keeping this business afloat. They are frequently dazzled by and then hire self-imposed experts whose past experience is completely unrelated to this company's purpose and goals. Speaking of goals, what is it this week? The focus changes frequently with no clear direction of how that goal of the moment can be implemented. And of course, don't expect resources to achieve the goal because resources are not evenly distributed. If you're not on the golden children team, don't even bother asking. The company use to be a great resource for consumers. Now? Not so much. The site is a mess and too time consuming for the regular user.

Advice to Management

Please listen to and respect that current employees just might have a good understanding of what consumers are seeking when researching for a vehicle. There is no need to bring in an outside consultant or hire someone with limited experience or knowledge about how your business should work.

"Great place to work if you have no skills and still want a salary"

Former Employee - Technology in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Technology in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Very late review. I got a different job over six months ago. I heard things are changing fast *

Amazing schedule flexibility. You have no obligations to be in the office and you can work your own hours. That makes people happier and more productive. Great people. These are the only reasons why I gave it two stars.

Cons

Top heavy company. It's not unusual to walk into a meeting with 15 attendees and you and your teammate are the only people without a manager or director title. Which means you're the only ones doing the job and you have to accommodate the requests of a dozen people with no technical skills or domain knowledge whatsoever that play the game of "who says the stupidest idea out loud". Most of those people are manager/director of teams with one or two people at most and no one really knows what they do or they ever seen the product of their work. But they earn director/manager salaries.

A third (if not more) of the employees have 0 skills. 0. All their "knowledge" could be absorbed by an underpaid college intern in half an hour. There are entire teams that have no reason to exist in 2017. When you start working closely with one of those teams and you understand what they are supposed to do you're left wondering what they do all day as their workload for a week could be done in two hours.

The company has almost no direction, departments randomly get assigned an open headcount and they hire for no reason. Nonsense products get pushed on the company out of nowhere from a completely detached upper management and everyone acts like it's next big thing. The reality is that most of those products are either too late in the game or below industry standards.

Salaries are mediocre, definitely below industry standards for everyone in tech while positions that require no skills or talent like sales make more money. The company keeps hiring old schools account executives, a job that I really struggle to understand why it still exists in 2017.

Advice to Management

Hire talented, skilled people and pay them what they're worth. Cut managers and directors, most of them don't really have job there. They make it up. Hire a consulting company that can teach you how to run an internet company in 2017. Stop hanging Corvettes on the ceiling.

"No Longer a "Great Place to Work""

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- ROWE (before they got rid of it)
    - Great office and location
    - Nice perks and benefits (again... before they got rid of a lot of things)
    - Great coworkers

Cons

Just had a big layoff (58 people) with no warning. They pledge transparency but this really came from out of the blue. Even during the recession of 2008 there wasn't a huge layoff, so they must really be in trouble. They laid off an assortment of people, including long timers loyal to the company, PREGNANT women, and women who were on maternity leave/just back from leave. Really shady.

They spend money on perks and superficial things to keep employees happy but currently can't figure out how to actually run a successful company. They change direction every year and instead of innovating try to copy what other companies do.

Recently just got rid of a ton of perks that made working here bearable including things that have been around for over a decade. Pretty sure it's bad corporate strategy leading to inability to turn a profit, not the fact that we used to have half days before major holidays. I can see taking away things like TripCash, Bonusly, etc, but the half days have been around FOREVER so I can't see how that really is going to make much difference. Again, blaming the wrong things.

Advice to Management

Time to take a look at your execs and VPs. Instead of restructuring every year and giving yourselves promotions, take a step back and consider that maybe the problem wasn't with the 58 people you let go, or with the perks (sorta). Issues start from the top.

"Keeping it Real"

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you read reviews, everyone raves about "work perks" which was the number one reason to work at Edmunds and how they achieved all their awards. However, as of recent, Edmunds revoked all work perks. So if you now read the remainig reviews, you will see all the management complaints. This part of the way Edmunds does business is still true. It is glorified high school and only the popular people who know how to play the game get the promotions.

Cons

The biggest con is the direction of HR, as of three years ago, it took a serious downturn. They are condescending, not helpful and turn their cheek at most important work issues. Perks are all gone (no more ROWE environment, no fitcash, no trip cash, etc). This company in less than 5 years went from a "most work" place to an avoid at all cost place. Truly sad.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees at lower management levels and actually care and try to make a difference. Promote and binus based on work not on popularity.

"I have no idea what's going on."

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very nice office, with coffee machines, fruits, cereal, and lots of space.

- Just about everyone that I have spoken to and interacted with has been extremely nice, smart, and helpful.

- Lots of talented programmers (though many are leaving, see cons).

- You get to work on products that receive a high volume of traffic.

- Spinning Corvettes on the ceiling at the entrance?

- If you asked me to write a review about a year ago it would have been 5 stars across the board, maybe one day it will come back to that?

Cons

- The website (i.e. the main Edmunds product) is bad. I know this is totally anecdotal, but I have yet to find someone outside my work who likes it. The competing car shopping websites load faster, have slicker UI's and car shopping tools. I personally do not use Edmunds for car shopping, despite going on the site almost daily. I still find it too confusing/irritating. Just get me to a page with car listings in less than 10 seconds!

- Layoffs + no sense of direction, no one around me has any idea what the long term plan is.

- Removal of major benefits, such as ROWE. Many employees live far (1-2 hours away) and made major life decisions based on ROWE. For many, losing this benefit means its time to find a new job. I am expecting to see a lot more people quitting in the coming months.

- Too much fluff. "We-team" is just another HR. "ROWE 2.0" just means you now have a 9-5 office job. Who buys into this? Does this actually do anything in improving the workplace environment?

- Company cares way too much about how it is perceived. We are asked to do surveys/reviews 10+ times a year. From an employees perspective, this feels very superficial.

Advice to Management

When I first heard there were layoffs I thought: "Edmunds is in trouble. This place has treated me well so I will do my best to help out".

But then an hour later I'm told our most praised benefit, one that this company pretty much defined it self by (ROWE - i.e. work from home) is canceled.

This "double-negative" of layoffs + benefits loss has absolutely killed morale. The general sentiment across my peers is that this is very much a sinking ship.

If you care about the company making comeback, don't take benefits (which were agreed upon start of employment) away. Especially those that cost no money. As developers we are currently working in a job market where we are solicited weekly by recruiters for potential job offers.

I really do not mean this in a condescending/threatening way but.. why should we stick around?

"They try to be a "Great Place to Work""

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

There are great people working at Edmunds. Smart and caring people. HR team is very nice and perks and company culture is great. Culture used to be a lot more flexible for people to work in ways that focuses on meeting results, not necessarily when and how it was done.

Cons

There seems to be some politics and senior management making some decisions that seems to miss what people on the front lines think would be good. But no company is perfect and Edmunds is not immune to some downsides.

"Disrespects our audience"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get to work with an amazing team of some of the most talented, hard-working people, who are, ironically, mostly full-time off-site workers. Some recent hires with fresh perspectives, who have influence over design of our consumer-facing products, gives me hope for the future.

Benefits are above average, even with the changes to ROWE.

Cons

If you have to teach consumers how to use your website to access the most basic features - and we do - you've done website design totally wrong. We consistently decide what WE want the website to be, and then expect users to conform to our wants and needs.
    The president told us at the beginning of the year to "ignore the haters." Let that sink in. Ignore criticism from the users of our website.
    We have glitchy, buggy, and difficult-to-use products all over the website. Attempting to get these fixed or altered to be consumer-friendly results in a, "sorry, no resources for that," answer almost every time. It's disrespectful to our consumers.

The elephant in the room - the layoffs. It's understandable that companies go through swings and need to make adjustments. What is entirely puzzling, and contributing to the lack of morale, is that plenty of good people, who bore no responsibility for decisions that led to our current state, were let go, while those who made and championed the poor decisions are still here... and further, are in leadership positions that will determine our future direction. That is beyond discouraging. We hear a lot about accountability, but there's been very little of that relative to our recent failures.

Advice to Management

Listen to your consumers. They don't like being locked into the year/make/model design. There are a vast number of consumers who don't know exactly what they want to buy, and we're ignoring those people. If they already know exactly what they want, why do they need us?

Listen to your newer hires who come here with fresh perspectives.

Most of all, don't design a website using foundational elements that were dated and deemed bad design several years before a re-design. Carousels and drawers long ago received said judgment, and yet, here we are.

"Talented People, Structure and Direction Could be Improved"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Edmunds certainly hires some of the most talented and driven people available. In 3 years I've yet to meet someone who didn't impress with their work ethic and quality as an employee.

Cons

The products and supporting processes change very quickly and it can be a challenge to keep up. At times you may find yourself feeling disconnected from the ideology behind the choices made despite the company's uncommon commitment to transparency.

Advice to Management

I'm not an expert on everything that constitutes a successful product rollout in the Automotive Industry. That being said we consistently seem to be shipping new services without more fully preparing our sales and support teams to deliver them. Perhaps a touch more planning and prep time can be afforded to create a better customer and employee experience.