Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance here is wonderful" (in 24 reviews)

• "Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Edmunds is located in Santa Monica" (in 12 reviews)

• "Very top-heavy organization which makes people in the lower rungs feel under-valued" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I am so proud to work at Edmunds!"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

The heart of this company is so strong. I feel like the leaders really care about employee feedback and want to do everything they can to create a great place to work. I appreciate how transparent the leaders are and that they continue efforts to make sure we are all informed and feel connected to the company's goals - It creates such a strong momentum that is building. The people here are amazing!! I've never worked with such talented, dedicated individuals. I feel proud to call them my friends and colleagues! Lastly, I get to focus on interesting work -- I have grown professionally and personally more in my time here than at any other point in my career!

Cons

It's sometimes hard to prioritize because there is so much that I want to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all of your efforts! Keep it up.

"The best place I have worked so far"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

Great Technology and People , has been so for some years now. Still enjoying the flexibility of ROWE. Very competitive pay /benefits and perks. Always recommend this place to all my friends

Cons

Management direction keeps wavering, better to make the UI simple make prices transparent and make it easy for the customer, though I have been recommending edmunds as a company to work for to my friends I cant say the same for edmunds.com as the place to buy cars

"can' believe this company is still in business"

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

great technology and place to learn if you're a recent graduate

Cons

leadership can't see the forest from the trees....truecar + KBB are eating their lunch

Advice to Management

look to acquire or be acquired

"My favorite job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Edmunds has been an amazing place to launch my career. I'm truly proud of the work I've done, how much I've grown, how much Edmunds has invested in me, and all of the talented people I work with.

The work life balance here is wonderful. I not only look forward to coming to work, but I love doing what I do and feel supported by my manager.

The office is stunning. While we have an open floor plan there are many private areas you can work in as well. Working from home is always an option too.

Compensation and benefits seem to be on par with other larger tech companies.

Cons

The recent layoffs in October really shocked a lot of people.

Some products seem to get created hastily without much thought only to be shut down soon after being released.

Upward mobility seems a little unclear for the time being.

"sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great overall culture. Company truly does care about its customers and employees.

Cons

Sometimes too quick on new things to focus on.

Advice to Management

Evolve / innovate/lead

"Director"

Current Employee - Director of Product in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edmunds is one-of-a-kind place to work. Its pioneer spirit (i.e., the company basically started the 3rd party car shopping & buying industry 20 years ago) is still very much a driving force in how the company operates. Three reasons give Edmunds an edge:

- Product teams are hard at work continuously testing and innovating around the customer experience. This creates an enormous learning opportunity for junior and senior employees alike to own substantial part of the road map and experiment with ideas and concepts.

- As a privately owned company whose owners are actively involved in management, Edmunds gives employees direct access into how tough decisions are made and executed. This alone is a sizable learning opportunity for anyone considering applying to Edmunds.

- Edmunds has a strong culture based on optimism, camaraderie, and a belief in individual responsibility. The company expects hard work, but is also very generous with personal time to learn, relax, and re-charge (e.g., very flexible vacation policy + Thinking Thursdays with no meetings).

Cons

Edmunds can do a better job branding itself to the outside world. A lot of the great work that happens in the office doesn't always translate well when we interact with dealers and customers. There is a sense of internal pride mixed with occasional external lack of confidence as to who the company is and what makes its product and position unique.

Advice to Management

Prioritize more and plan large product & business changes in a more timely manner to avoid a series of important changes happening all at the same time which may be distressing to more junior or less seasoned employees.

Make bolder decisions and more aggressive bets on the future. Reason out of where Edmunds must be 5 years from now, not from where Edmunds is today.

"Edmunds is one of the best companies I have worked for"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite some recent hiccups (like most companies experience) Edmunds is by far one of the best places to work. I have been with the company over 2 years now and can honestly say I have never worked for a company that sincerely offers work- life balance; with an extremely competitive pay plan; and a true intent to be innovative and aware of the constantly evolving industry.

Cons

Product needs attention... but the company is well aware and addressing this every day with enhancements and major improvements.

Advice to Management

Stop changing your direction and focus every other month.

"Competitive"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible environment and get to learn new Technology.
    Innovative and best Benefits.

Cons

Many ppl have left recently bringing in a sense of insecurity within many ppl.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

"Awesome Place to Work!"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

- The people!
    - ROWE (2.0 really isn't that different at all)
    - Perks (froyo, popcorn, endless coffee, etc.)
    - Development opportunities
    - Awesome office space

Cons

Fewer perks than before but other than that, none!

Advice to Management

Keep the transparency up! And consider bringing back some old perks if possible (ie. half days, free lunches, etc.).

"Best Place I've Ever Worked – And I've Been at Some Great Companies"

Current Employee - Curriculum Manager, Sales Effectiveness in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Curriculum Manager, Sales Effectiveness in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Edmunds is hands down the best place I've ever worked. It starts with the people, who are truly incredible. It's filled with smart, passionate professionals. There is also a lot of diversity – we're not all the way there, but Edmunds is well ahead of other places I've worked. And aside from ethnic and gender diversity, we've got a great blend of backgrounds – small college, large university, liberal arts, STEM, we have representatives from all. And, while the majority of our staff is based out of Santa Monica, we have salespeople spread across the country, which gives us geographic diversity as well.

Edmunds also has a fantastic office space. As someone who does creative work, I find the place incredibly energizing. As the weather warms up – and we're located in Southern California, so it’s mostly warm – they pull back the sliding glass doors to the interior courtyard. You can take your laptop out there to work – or meet up in one of the pods throughout the building.

I also love the egalitarian office space. Everyone has the same desk configuration, from the owners of the company all the way down to new hires in operations. You literally can’t tell someone’s rank by where they sit. (There are some exceptions: our in-house lawyers do have traditional offices so that they can have private conversations, but, as noted, the owners all sit out in the open with everyone else.) I spent years working at companies where mediocre middle managers rated offices - I really love the layout here at Edmunds.

Another plus: the Workplace Experience Team, which runs the facility, is devoted to employee satisfaction. In every other company I've worked for, the operations department is all about enforcing the rules: making sure you keep a lid on your coffee cup or you clean up the conference room after you've used it. Here, the Employment Experience is focused on organizing events, making sure that employees have everything they need to do their jobs, and, oh yeah, keeping the place sparkling.

Finally, I want to say something about our Results Only Work Environment. I really love it. Under ROWE, I can scheduled family and personal time without asking for permission. I can work from home when I need to and I have a lot of flexibility around the hours that I work – this is great for me, because I can usually schedule my workday around the times where I have the most energy. Obviously, if you work with other people – as I do – you never have complete control of your schedule, but Edmunds does a great job of allowing you to reach a good balance.

Here's how I'd sum it up: Edmunds provides the most fun, creative atmosphere I’ve ever experienced, a place where you can relax while also getting a lot of serious work done. They treat you like an adult. You'll have outstanding co-workers. And you'll have the benefits of working for a relatively small, family-owned business while enjoying the perks of a much larger company.

Cons

Edmunds is located in Santa Monica. That's actually a plus in many ways – for example, there are lots of fantastic restaurants in Santa Monica, but the flip side is that there's a lot of traffic. Unless you are fortunate enough to actually live on the West Side of LA, you will have to deal with traffic.

Also, Edmunds is a fast-paced environment where things change quickly. I think this is a plus on the whole, but there's definitely a downside. If you want to work in a place where you'll be doing the same thing in the same way for years, this isn't the company for you.

Advice to Management

I am a big fan of Avi Steinlauf. I feel a lot of confidence with him at the helm.

I would love to see us go back to annual All Company Meetings where the sellers in the field come in to headquarters.