Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living (in 45 reviews)

• Other pros are the Results only work environment and the really cool office space/d (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance but what does that mean and to who (in 7 reviews)

• Bad traffic leads to bad commutes to work in the Santa Monica area (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are amazing. The benefits are the best I've had. So much focus on professional growth. Clear objectives and values.

Cons

Located in Santa Monica

"area manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Area Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

product value is great need more confidence in presentation

Cons

To many management clicks. Easier reports for customer interpretation

Advice to Management

Get rid of the management clicks. You have to much churn in your field staff that works hard to produce revenue.

"Its a LEMON with a toxic culture"

Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Base Salary for mediocre sales people. Kick the can down the road mentality...just don't let the can stop at YOU. If you are in the CLUB, your job is safe even if you don't work.

Cons

Male Dominated management and promotions are based on friendships NOT hard work. High turnover in VP of Sales Position which reports directly to owner Peter and owners son Avi. Product lacks reporting. No communication between inside and outside sales. Managers are lazy and verbally abusive and have hidden agenda's. EAS is late to the SEO game and has little to no direction. HR runs inside campaigns to have its employees posted to Glassdoors.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your lazy abusive managers. When the managers are to friendly with your HR department ...much gets overlooked and turned around on the person that has reached out for help. You have lost several hard working loyal sales people who have come directly to owners and HR only for them to be slapped in the face and retaliated against.

"Job Seeker Beware"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food , fun office , lots of holidays , decent benefit package , some work at home allowed .

Cons

Terrible managers and turn over is massive for best place to work type organization . Good people pick up and leave everyday because in their tier 3 sales, life is a mess . It is pure flavor of week and see if the idea might work . Ton's of dealers will not do business with Edmunds period because of a lack of support and an industry low poor product . One of the worst operations teams ever and Account Managers are over whelmed .People don't view Edmunds as a source for shopping like True Car , Cars , Auto Trader , Auto Guru's and more . So every month it is to the old drawing board to try and reinvent . If you are looking for a job and this looks like a nice new shiny car because of the office and cheap frills I would say just like in the auto industry it is "buyer beware "

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a lead generator and give up . No one looks to Edmunds to buy a car .

5. "Best company ever!"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

I've been with Edmunds for less than six months. I've worked for a couple of the largest media companies and Edmunds blows them out of the water with their on-boarding process. Friendly colleagues, equipment delivered on time, tons of resources, and inclusive work environment even while working remotely. With all of the "perks" (ROWE, unlimited sick and vacation time, health benefits, etc.), I feel empowered to put forth my best effort as this company stands behind rewarding hard work.

Cons

Turnover is low, which I take as a positive, but may be a concern for new opportunities in the future. There are a ton of moving parts that I'd like to explore more and this seems to be addressed with new programs in place to allow employees to expand their skill sets and knowledge of the company and automotive space.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing and you'll continue to get hard-working, dedicated, team players! Looking forward to continuing my contribution to the company and seeing if any driver seats open down the road. :)

May 25, 2017 – Director, Employment Experience

Thanks so much for the glowing review. We love to hear that you are happy with your experience here in all respects. Keep up the hard work and don’t forget to continue to take time to enjoy the... More

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I work with are really smart and nice people. Everyone is eager to collaborate and help each other out. This has a lot to do with how we are treated and all the freedoms we have. This is the only place I've worked that really does put their employees first and back it up on a daily basis.

Cons

I haven't experienced any yet.

Advice to Management

keep it up!

May 25, 2017 – Director, Employment Experience

Smart, nice, collaborative people are who we strive to hire- you included! We hope you will continue to keep us informed as to how things are going as you continue your career here at Edmunds.

"Unsupportive Poor Management"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Edmunds has done a great job in the last 2 years at cultivating a corporate culture much like of many start-up companies, like Google, Facebook, etc. There is a lot of freedom, employee collaboration and the Employee Experience Team advocates innovative ideas that bring people together in inspiring ways. Some examples are “Thinking Thursdays” and Design Thinking Workshops, they offer creative outlets, like painting classes and iGnite. They also promote annual Hackomotive-thons and company get togethers, like “Summer Camp”. I learned a great deal about collaborating successfully, leveraging concepts and philosophies to successfully launch products, and better understand methodologies around the agile space – all which I believe helped further my experience in Product Management.

Cons

The management at Edmunds changes much too frequently, which creates uncertainty, doesn’t build trust (i.e., Trust is one of their core values, but frankly, it isn’t practiced) and overall, it means dysfunctional teams. There isn’t a sense of companionship among piers, nor is there any mentorship. They talk about building on strengths, offer performance reviews via “Fuel Your Potential”, but management simply doesn’t truly offer supportive or useful feedback to help employees grow to their fullest potential. This leads to unexpected surprises, mismanagement and at the end of the day, employees simply don’t have a voice. Edmunds talks about innovation, but instead is always catching up. Management is run like the “Good Ol’ Boys Club”. The Founder is rude, unapproachable and doesn’t understand relationships. This results in top down sentiment that simply isn’t inspiring, nor does it fuel inventiveness

Advice to Management

Management needs to seriously evaluate what it takes to create strong relationships with the employees and teams, how they can be more honest with candid feedback to help employees achieve their potential, and truly think how they can be a leader in the industry.

8. "Great culture"

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

Wonderful culture, really smart people, very collaborative environment, great benefits.

Cons

Innovative when it comes to technology but senior execs extremely tactical, do not have a strategic outlook, react to market trends instead of finding ways to differentiate.

May 15, 2017 – Director, Employment Experience

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. It’s great that you enjoyed the culture and environment here. Our leadership team would love to hear your suggestions on ways we can be... More

"Don't Believe The Fake Image"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to get into politics this is a great place to start. There are a lot of great people here but middle and upper management is the most rediculous group of fakers I've ever come across.

Cons

The 'products' (dealer ad subscription) are terrible and don't perform. The new web-site launched January 1st is awful and traffic is WAY down. You are expected to lie to and mislead your dealer partners. Some of the Regional Directors are absolute monsters who have no business managing employees. Edmunds loves to talk about their ROWE Results Oriented Work Environment but the reality is they only care about their image and they want yes-men who will do whatever it takes to get a contract signed, dishonest behavior included...

Advice to Management

Advice is pretty useless and would fall on deaf ears. Middle and upper management are all drinking the same kool-aid. One thing though...if you're going to threaten every employee after separation like you have been doing for the last 12+ months, find a better way to go about it then sending an email that was the equivalent of me calling my 8 year old a paralegal and having her write it.

10. "Good Company, Needs Attention"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

Great Company Atmosphere. No expense spared on employees

Cons

Micromanaging Tier 3 Sales staff.

Advice to Management

Be sure to offer support and help with dealership struggles.

May 15, 2017 – Director, Employment Experience

Thanks for the review. It’s great to hear from employees who have an appreciation for the culture we work hard to cultivate and the resources the Company dedicates to employees’ well-being. It is... More