Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance here is wonderful" (in 24 reviews)

• "Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Edmunds is located in Santa Monica" (in 12 reviews)

• "Very top-heavy organization which makes people in the lower rungs feel under-valued" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I am so proud to work at Edmunds!"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

The heart of this company is so strong. I feel like the leaders really care about employee feedback and want to do everything they can to create a great place to work. I appreciate how transparent the leaders are and that they continue efforts to make sure we are all informed and feel connected to the company's goals - It creates such a strong momentum that is building. The people here are amazing!! I've never worked with such talented, dedicated individuals. I feel proud to call them my friends and colleagues! Lastly, I get to focus on interesting work -- I have grown professionally and personally more in my time here than at any other point in my career!

Cons

It's sometimes hard to prioritize because there is so much that I want to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all of your efforts! Keep it up.

"The best place I have worked so far"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

Great Technology and People , has been so for some years now. Still enjoying the flexibility of ROWE. Very competitive pay /benefits and perks. Always recommend this place to all my friends

Cons

Management direction keeps wavering, better to make the UI simple make prices transparent and make it easy for the customer, though I have been recommending edmunds as a company to work for to my friends I cant say the same for edmunds.com as the place to buy cars

"Sinking ship"

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally employ good people who are just trying to make a living.

Cons

Family run business means top executives are all family, family friends, husbands/wives, nephews, cousins.....No experience at other firms over their career = disillusioned sense of selves, lack ability to make strategic decisions, blinded by lack of expertise. Being out-smarted in product, sales, marketing by their competitive set. Only a matter of time before bought, merge or go under.

"can' believe this company is still in business"

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

great technology and place to learn if you're a recent graduate

Cons

leadership can't see the forest from the trees....truecar + KBB are eating their lunch

Advice to Management

look to acquire or be acquired

"My favorite job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Edmunds has been an amazing place to launch my career. I'm truly proud of the work I've done, how much I've grown, how much Edmunds has invested in me, and all of the talented people I work with.

The work life balance here is wonderful. I not only look forward to coming to work, but I love doing what I do and feel supported by my manager.

The office is stunning. While we have an open floor plan there are many private areas you can work in as well. Working from home is always an option too.

Compensation and benefits seem to be on par with other larger tech companies.

Cons

The recent layoffs in October really shocked a lot of people.

Some products seem to get created hastily without much thought only to be shut down soon after being released.

Upward mobility seems a little unclear for the time being.

"sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great overall culture. Company truly does care about its customers and employees.

Cons

Sometimes too quick on new things to focus on.

Advice to Management

Evolve / innovate/lead

"Director"

Current Employee - Director of Product in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edmunds is one-of-a-kind place to work. Its pioneer spirit (i.e., the company basically started the 3rd party car shopping & buying industry 20 years ago) is still very much a driving force in how the company operates. Three reasons give Edmunds an edge:

- Product teams are hard at work continuously testing and innovating around the customer experience. This creates an enormous learning opportunity for junior and senior employees alike to own substantial part of the road map and experiment with ideas and concepts.

- As a privately owned company whose owners are actively involved in management, Edmunds gives employees direct access into how tough decisions are made and executed. This alone is a sizable learning opportunity for anyone considering applying to Edmunds.

- Edmunds has a strong culture based on optimism, camaraderie, and a belief in individual responsibility. The company expects hard work, but is also very generous with personal time to learn, relax, and re-charge (e.g., very flexible vacation policy + Thinking Thursdays with no meetings).

Cons

Edmunds can do a better job branding itself to the outside world. A lot of the great work that happens in the office doesn't always translate well when we interact with dealers and customers. There is a sense of internal pride mixed with occasional external lack of confidence as to who the company is and what makes its product and position unique.

Advice to Management

Prioritize more and plan large product & business changes in a more timely manner to avoid a series of important changes happening all at the same time which may be distressing to more junior or less seasoned employees.

Make bolder decisions and more aggressive bets on the future. Reason out of where Edmunds must be 5 years from now, not from where Edmunds is today.

"Competitive"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible environment and get to learn new Technology.
    Innovative and best Benefits.

Cons

Many ppl have left recently bringing in a sense of insecurity within many ppl.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

"Edmunds is one of the best companies I have worked for"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite some recent hiccups (like most companies experience) Edmunds is by far one of the best places to work. I have been with the company over 2 years now and can honestly say I have never worked for a company that sincerely offers work- life balance; with an extremely competitive pay plan; and a true intent to be innovative and aware of the constantly evolving industry.

Cons

Product needs attention... but the company is well aware and addressing this every day with enhancements and major improvements.

Advice to Management

Stop changing your direction and focus every other month.

"Still a huge fan !!!"

Current Employee - Dealer Relationship Manager
    Current Employee - Dealer Relationship Manager

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edmunds is very well respected within the industry. I enjoy relaying the fact we are privately owned and operated and how that allows us to be in tune with our dealers ever changing needs and make adjustment to their program as needed. We have forged key relationships with Facebook and are first to push the transparency through shared data with key players such as CDK as well.
    On a personal level , I work for the best leadership team , enjoy extensive benefits, am challenged by a creative training team , have flexibility in my schedule and feel valued as an important part of my teams success .

Cons

Change is constant . If you are a person that thrives in regiment , this is probably not a fit for you . The culture is to fail forward , so some structures are not as successful as anticipated , but changes are always made to keep us moving forward . Turn over has increased lately based on some of those changes , but there are those of us that believe the constant change will continue and we will push forward into a new level of success.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your team. Continue the fail forward mentality and make changes quickly to ideas that are not successful . Keep your hand on the pulse of the dealer community . One on Ones ,Pulse surveys and all hand meetings are keeping us all engaged and in tune with our corporate goals and strategies.