Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living (in 47 reviews)

• Other pros are the Results only work environment and the really cool office space/d (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance but what does that mean and to who (in 7 reviews)

• Bad traffic leads to bad commutes to work in the Santa Monica area (in 9 reviews)

"Its a LEMON with a toxic culture"

Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Base Salary for mediocre sales people. Kick the can down the road mentality...just don't let the can stop at YOU. If you are in the CLUB, your job is safe even if you don't work.

Cons

Male Dominated management and promotions are based on friendships NOT hard work. High turnover in VP of Sales Position which reports directly to owner Peter and owners son Avi. Product lacks reporting. No communication between inside and outside sales. Managers are lazy and verbally abusive and have hidden agenda's. EAS is late to the SEO game and has little to no direction. HR runs inside campaigns to have its employees posted to Glassdoors.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your lazy abusive managers. When the managers are to friendly with your HR department ...much gets overlooked and turned around on the person that has reached out for help. You have lost several hard working loyal sales people who have come directly to owners and HR only for them to be slapped in the face and retaliated against.

"Job Seeker Beware"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food , fun office , lots of holidays , decent benefit package , some work at home allowed .

Cons

Terrible managers and turn over is massive for best place to work type organization . Good people pick up and leave everyday because in their tier 3 sales, life is a mess . It is pure flavor of week and see if the idea might work . Ton's of dealers will not do business with Edmunds period because of a lack of support and an industry low poor product . One of the worst operations teams ever and Account Managers are over whelmed .People don't view Edmunds as a source for shopping like True Car , Cars , Auto Trader , Auto Guru's and more . So every month it is to the old drawing board to try and reinvent . If you are looking for a job and this looks like a nice new shiny car because of the office and cheap frills I would say just like in the auto industry it is "buyer beware "

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a lead generator and give up . No one looks to Edmunds to buy a car .

"Unsupportive Poor Management"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Edmunds has done a great job in the last 2 years at cultivating a corporate culture much like of many start-up companies, like Google, Facebook, etc. There is a lot of freedom, employee collaboration and the Employee Experience Team advocates innovative ideas that bring people together in inspiring ways. Some examples are “Thinking Thursdays” and Design Thinking Workshops, they offer creative outlets, like painting classes and iGnite. They also promote annual Hackomotive-thons and company get togethers, like “Summer Camp”. I learned a great deal about collaborating successfully, leveraging concepts and philosophies to successfully launch products, and better understand methodologies around the agile space – all which I believe helped further my experience in Product Management.

Cons

The management at Edmunds changes much too frequently, which creates uncertainty, doesn’t build trust (i.e., Trust is one of their core values, but frankly, it isn’t practiced) and overall, it means dysfunctional teams. There isn’t a sense of companionship among piers, nor is there any mentorship. They talk about building on strengths, offer performance reviews via “Fuel Your Potential”, but management simply doesn’t truly offer supportive or useful feedback to help employees grow to their fullest potential. This leads to unexpected surprises, mismanagement and at the end of the day, employees simply don’t have a voice. Edmunds talks about innovation, but instead is always catching up. Management is run like the “Good Ol’ Boys Club”. The Founder is rude, unapproachable and doesn’t understand relationships. This results in top down sentiment that simply isn’t inspiring, nor does it fuel inventiveness

Advice to Management

Management needs to seriously evaluate what it takes to create strong relationships with the employees and teams, how they can be more honest with candid feedback to help employees achieve their potential, and truly think how they can be a leader in the industry.

"Don't Believe The Fake Image"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to get into politics this is a great place to start. There are a lot of great people here but middle and upper management is the most rediculous group of fakers I've ever come across.

Cons

The 'products' (dealer ad subscription) are terrible and don't perform. The new web-site launched January 1st is awful and traffic is WAY down. You are expected to lie to and mislead your dealer partners. Some of the Regional Directors are absolute monsters who have no business managing employees. Edmunds loves to talk about their ROWE Results Oriented Work Environment but the reality is they only care about their image and they want yes-men who will do whatever it takes to get a contract signed, dishonest behavior included...

Advice to Management

Advice is pretty useless and would fall on deaf ears. Middle and upper management are all drinking the same kool-aid. One thing though...if you're going to threaten every employee after separation like you have been doing for the last 12+ months, find a better way to go about it then sending an email that was the equivalent of me calling my 8 year old a paralegal and having her write it.

"Family Owned with Lots of Chaos and Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, ideal for those just wanting to punch a time card and get out by 5pm

Cons

Not a place for those that Think Different, Just Do It, Advance through Technology, believe in Imagination at Work, want to Move Fast and Be Bold, or otherwise do truly breakthrough things.

Advice to Management

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." -Charles Darwin

Edmunds.com Response

Mar 31, 2017 – Director, Employment Experience

We appreciate your time and effort in providing us with meaningful feedback. We would love the opportunity to speak to you in person regarding the concerns you have expressed if you would feel... More

"Dealer Account Representative"

Pros

ROWE is awesome. Really allows you to be with family

Cons

Management leave questioning your worth

"Decent Place to work"

Pros

Great benefits, great work/life balance, friendly culture, great perks within the office like fruit every day, great coffee and bagels on Fridays.

Cons

Management plays favoritism. If you are not on the favorites list, you will be stuck in the same job for a very long time and be passed over for other opportunities as well as pretty much ignored and not helped.

Advice to Management

Work more with the management to not pick favorites and instead help everyone there to grow within the company and make sure they are getting the help the need to grow.

Edmunds.com Response

Jun 29, 2016

Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear how much you liked all the great employee benefits and perks, such as those you mentioned and others such as TripCa$h and FitCa$h. Overall, employee... More

"Don't be Fooled"

Former Employee - Account Executive in East Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in East Orange, NJ

Pros

The medical benefits are great as well as most of the people that you meet. Being in the car industry and around a talented editorial staff.

Cons

I had high expectations for my job at Edmunds like most people would. The office is like nothing I had experienced in my previous employment ventures. However the perks and great scenery of the Santa Monica location fades like cheap wall paper. The training is mediocre at best to get started and you are a victim of products that don't work as well as the competitors. Sure the subscriptions are cheaper than Auto Trader, Cars and True Car, but in life you get what you pay for. The ideas are worn and dealers need a whole suite of products to get any results really. The management group is the worst I have ever dealt with. The management and upper executive positions change and turnover in a heart beat indicating a huge problem. ROWE is great but you always feel guilty to take any time off and if you are in sales you loose momentum with any breaks. The account managers many times are way too slow to address issues and often their is a snowball effect, which hurts the customers since the subscription really does not work without the full suite of products. . Running reports and seeing dealer results are agonizing most months and for a business with a defined number of opportunities you are on borrowed time before the dealership realizes the return on investment regardless of the spin is often with half of the car brands at least poor.

Advice to Management

I have never seen a poorer management group than this one. Let's spend a million dollars and go to Miami, Beverly Hills, or Las Vegas and have meeting which can be done over webex and the money passed onto the work staff. I know let's have people come to Santa Monica and get rooms at the Shore and blow another grand on dinner and pay account managers $50K. After a two years I am still unsure how you make as much money as you portray?? I have done the math and have no clue. So my advice is stop wasting tons of money and pay people as well as revamp the products to make sure with the opportunities that the business does have flourishes.

"Stay Away!!!"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can make money in a dishonest manner. Total scam operation.,

Cons

Don't even bother applying if you are over 50. They practice rampant age discrimination and will only hire younger applicants than can be easily manipulated.

Advice to Management

Stop being such crooks and obey the law!

"Horrible Experience"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food. Catered breakfast and drinks.

Cons

Horrible experience. On the FIRST DAY I was pranked like in a frat house. They waited for me to walk away from my computer to go to one of my first meetings. I had not even had a chance to set up my computer yet, and one of my new co-workers sat at my desktop and sent an email to THE WHOLE COMPANY as me!

This was such a nightmare. I had just packed up my life and moved to the west coast for this job.

Imagine moving your whole life to a new place, and a new company and ON THE FIRST DAY being humiliated and embarrassed in front of the whole company. It was a compete nightmare for me. I had to contact an employment laywer on my first day.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

Advice to Management

Fire all the children that work for your company.