Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Edmunds.com Reviews

Updated February 28, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living (in 43 reviews)

• I have gained a work/life balance that I did not know was possible (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance but what does that mean and to who (in 7 reviews)

• The Santa Monica traffic can be bad at rush hour (in 7 reviews)

"Family Owned with Lots of Chaos and Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, ideal for those just wanting to punch a time card and get out by 5pm

Cons

Not a place for those that Think Different, Just Do It, Advance through Technology, believe in Imagination at Work, want to Move Fast and Be Bold, or otherwise do truly breakthrough things.

Advice to Management

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." -Charles Darwin

"Dealer Account Representative"

Pros

ROWE is awesome. Really allows you to be with family

Cons

Management leave questioning your worth

"Decent Place to work"

Pros

Great benefits, great work/life balance, friendly culture, great perks within the office like fruit every day, great coffee and bagels on Fridays.

Cons

Management plays favoritism. If you are not on the favorites list, you will be stuck in the same job for a very long time and be passed over for other opportunities as well as pretty much ignored and not helped.

Advice to Management

Work more with the management to not pick favorites and instead help everyone there to grow within the company and make sure they are getting the help the need to grow.

Edmunds.com Response

Jun 29, 2016

Thank you for the review. We are pleased to hear how much you liked all the great employee benefits and perks, such as those you mentioned and others such as TripCa$h and FitCa$h. Overall, employee ... More

"Don't be Fooled"

Former Employee - Account Executive in East Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in East Orange, NJ

Pros

The medical benefits are great as well as most of the people that you meet. Being in the car industry and around a talented editorial staff.

Cons

I had high expectations for my job at Edmunds like most people would. The office is like nothing I had experienced in my previous employment ventures. However the perks and great scenery of the Santa Monica location fades like cheap wall paper. The training is mediocre at best to get started and you are a victim of products that don't work as well as the competitors. Sure the subscriptions are cheaper than Auto Trader, Cars and True Car, but in life you get what you pay for. The ideas are worn and dealers need a whole suite of products to get any results really. The management group is the worst I have ever dealt with. The management and upper executive positions change and turnover in a heart beat indicating a huge problem. ROWE is great but you always feel guilty to take any time off and if you are in sales you loose momentum with any breaks. The account managers many times are way too slow to address issues and often their is a snowball effect, which hurts the customers since the subscription really does not work without the full suite of products. . Running reports and seeing dealer results are agonizing most months and for a business with a defined number of opportunities you are on borrowed time before the dealership realizes the return on investment regardless of the spin is often with half of the car brands at least poor.

Advice to Management

I have never seen a poorer management group than this one. Let's spend a million dollars and go to Miami, Beverly Hills, or Las Vegas and have meeting which can be done over webex and the money passed onto the work staff. I know let's have people come to Santa Monica and get rooms at the Shore and blow another grand on dinner and pay account managers $50K. After a two years I am still unsure how you make as much money as you portray?? I have done the math and have no clue. So my advice is stop wasting tons of money and pay people as well as revamp the products to make sure with the opportunities that the business does have flourishes.

"Stay Away!!!"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can make money in a dishonest manner. Total scam operation.,

Cons

Don't even bother applying if you are over 50. They practice rampant age discrimination and will only hire younger applicants than can be easily manipulated.

Advice to Management

Stop being such crooks and obey the law!

"Horrible Experience"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food. Catered breakfast and drinks.

Cons

Horrible experience. On the FIRST DAY I was pranked like in a frat house. They waited for me to walk away from my computer to go to one of my first meetings. I had not even had a chance to set up my computer yet, and one of my new co-workers sat at my desktop and sent an email to THE WHOLE COMPANY as me!

This was such a nightmare. I had just packed up my life and moved to the west coast for this job.

Imagine moving your whole life to a new place, and a new company and ON THE FIRST DAY being humiliated and embarrassed in front of the whole company. It was a compete nightmare for me. I had to contact an employment laywer on my first day.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

Advice to Management

Fire all the children that work for your company.

"Not the worst, but second worst company I ever worked at."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good perks, competitive salary, nice office location. If you belong to a selected group of people, you can define your own projects and bend the rules. If you are in editorials or business development, you may enjoy working at Edmunds.

Cons

If you are an engineer, you will get into sweetshop environment. You are going to jump from one task to another with no end and no recognition. It is completely normal to get rid of good engineers who been with the company for years. One might ask yourself a question, how is it possible for someone who was good for so many years and was promoted several times to become bad suddenly. It is so much easier to get rid of discouraged employees and get new fresh 'resource'. Yes people are 'resource' there. You can be moved from team to team without even being asked.

Advice to Management

Management needs to work on trust and leadership. Numerous surveys are not going to help when people afraid to speak up or discouraged. Good leader is not the one who throws people under the bus, but rather the one who leads by example and can find motivations for everyone he/she leads. Disagreements and heated debates are indications of passion. If Edmunds only going to keep the obedient followers, no progress is going to happen.

"Teir III Sales World"

Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High base. Very nice support people.

Cons

This a review for the Tier 3 sales division. When looking at jobs at Edmunds, realize that developers, engineers and Interns live in a completely different world then you inhabit as a Sales rep. Edmunds is struggling to find an identity; are they a listing site or a research site.
    Even with the industry high base they are having a difficult time keeping people. They are desperate to find sales reps that can start closing on day 1; so you have to have deep connections to get hired. You will need them; its only your relationships that will keep customers. Price cuts and free products have done little to stem the loss of customers. There is no marketing of the product or company and you will receive little help from the executive team. They are unapproachable and anything but transparent. Fear and intimidation are the management tools.
    The executive team is more focused on getting people fired than adding new business. They take great pride and go through great lengths to get people to leave. Remember, they are offering an Industry high base salary and people are still walking away! The majority of people have been there less then 2 years and most have looked elsewhere; but they stay for the high base. Look at all the reviews on Glassdoor; then subtract Interns, Software folks and every review written on August 1st and you will see a true picture of Edmunds.com. They really could have done great things.

Advice to Management

You need a major cleaning! Call any of your ex-sales people (who you spent ten's of thousand to recruit and train) and ask them why they left. I guarantee the same name will come up over and over again. If your goal is to stay in the classified listing space you need to bring in some outside help. You could probably benefit for some HR audits. Your sales people are afraid of one person. That person would rather get involved in the firing of a sales reps then admit their wrong. That person spends more time on petty issues then on sales strategies. You can't run a national sales team like a car wash. Get some outside help or give up.

"Worst Working Environment I Have Ever Experienced"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Moffett Field, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Moffett Field, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Forward thinking CEO & President.

Cons

Please see Culturally oppressive, review posted on July 27 on glassdoor. This is a true review if you are a field employee. If you consider a position in sales get some honest answers on the turnover rate (I was mislead).

Advice to Management

Executive Management needs to step up and do some "house cleaning" at the sales management level. How can you allow this amount of turnover in your sales force without asking questions.

"Culturally oppressive, Competitive."

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, professional office arrangement, frequent visits from outside consultants who share relevant insights to push companies forward in times of change.

Cons

The biggest challenge that I see at the company is the lack of support for professional growth. When I was first hired, I remember being provided with a document which listed all the perks that this company offered. “Results only work environment, medical benefits, work and professional training” to name a few. I was enthusiastic, ambitious, and felt excited at the prospect of actually working with a company that was fair to people in exchange for devoting periods of their life to assist the company in making profits. I was reminded constantly from friends in other well-known companies of how jaded people can become after putting in so much effort into their work just to realize that the efforts didn’t pay off, and that promises were not kept. I was convinced that this company was different and adopted a new way of living, of conducting business, of managing people.
    After working here for a short period, I began to see the true disconnect between those promises that were made and the behaviors of those actually managing the business. I witnessed senior level executives whispering negative remarks about other executives, witnessed executives take “walks” while they strategically discussed hiring and firing decisions. It was truly reminiscent of the TV show “Survivor” when people on the island formed “Alliances” to win the game. I was invited to meetings with executives to join in on the Alliances and encouraged to share negative feelings about my colleagues. I listened to them make negative remarks about the very people they shared lunch with during the day. I didn’t like any of it and felt that it was unprofessional and created distrust. I came to the realization that these behaviors are simply a byproduct of a culture that has developed long before I arrived, and due to fact that not many opportunities exist in the company for professional advancement enough to prevent people from being forced to create strategic alliances in the workplace. The company asks its staff to make a promise by writing down a promise on a “Promise Card” and asks it staff to place this on the company wall for everyone to see during the year. After the year ends, they reward the staff that kept those promises. Its titled “ A promise made is a promise kept”. Unfortunately, since the company does not deliver on its promises to its staff, it doesn’t deserve the reward of being highly rated.