Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Edmunds.com Reviews

Updated March 16, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living (in 43 reviews)

• I have gained a work/life balance that I did not know was possible (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance but what does that mean and to who (in 7 reviews)

• The Santa Monica traffic can be bad at rush hour (in 7 reviews)

1. "Incredible place to work. Fantastic people, great location, small enough to feel like a start up."

Former Employee - Director Business Analytics in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Director Business Analytics in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, location, people. Southern california, particularly SM is a great place to work. Super smart management team.

Cons

Bonus structure. Base salaries are competitive, but bonuses are rarely paid. Despite the cons I would work there again.

Advice to Management

Find a way to incentivize employees to stay. Base salary is competitive, bonuses are not

2. "Really Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Acct Exec Salary is very high

Cons

They are desperately trying to catch up to their competition in the digital advertising space.

"Look at Upper Management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, WV

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, corporate office, training, pay, benefits, get to travel to cool places, meet awesome people, and learn about new cars.

Cons

Upper Management and hard to trust them, very cutthroat environment with a lot of two-faced and backstabbing from veteran sales reps towards the newbies.

Advice to Management

Match employees with managers that fit their learning style. Get rid of some regional managers. Give people more of a chance to prove themselves if they are new to the industry.

"Great work environments, great people, but hustled"

Pros

I truly loved the company and enjoyed the atmosphere! Some people may not like the chaos that sometimes happens but I thrive and shine in chaos. The team strive to deliver great result with precision and efficiency. leadership teachs and HONE your skills and make sure you are effective member of the team

Cons

As contract employee when the offer was extended to work for them was extended I was elated with joy... But after some research I realized i was SEVERELY under paid around half .while the position it self paid around 63000 according to my research.. once I mentioned a raise so that I can meet the minimum pay of the team THEY REJECTED OFFER .. this severely hurt.. I performed well, never called out, or late and performance was MEETING company goals.

Advice to Management

stop trying to under cut contractor you desired to hire by paying severely below curve.(it was so bad difference you would need to consider this amount a OUTLIER so you don't sound your data) If you need additional employee pay them on par with the team or atleast bearable amount

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you so much for the time you spent giving us feedback. It is good to hear that you found an appreciation for the culture and atmosphere. The issue of hourly pay through an staffing agency and ... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Great work environment, positive people who are extremely helpful, very detailed process docs for everything possible.

Cons

Steep learning curve for new hires. A ton of processes which should be cut down. A lot of fresh college grads. Could be a pro or con

Advice to Management

Management is usually pretty good. Fairly responsive and encouraging when it comes to branching out of your current role

Sep 7, 2016

Hi there and thank you for your review! The emphasis on training is vital, particularly with the account management group as you and your team are the central hub of knowledge, support and expertise ... More

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Ladera Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Ladera Ranch, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, results oriented work environment, culture

Cons

Poor direct supervision and training

Advice to Management

Spend more time getting to know your reps and their needs.

May 26, 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate it a great deal. Whether it comes from current or former employees, it's helpful for us as we continue to strive to always ... More

"Great company if in the right department"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com (More than a year)

Pros

Overall great company overall to work for.

Cons

Mid level management chooses favorites. Management doesn't always communicate issues when they first become aware. Products launch on site before account managers are trained on them.

Apr 20, 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review regarding your experience working here. We love to hear that as a former employee, you consider this a great place to work. We also appreciate ... More

"Nice Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, good benefits, coffee / tea bar, fresh fruit daily, ability to work from home

Cons

High turn over in senior management

Advice to Management

Try to have more training prior to new products launching

10. "Software Engineer. Good work environment. Compensation is behind the times."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people here. I'd argue intelligence level is at least above average. Generally people are helpful and friendly. The silly events (Summer Camp??) are silly but still fun. Base pay is competitive.

A lot of executives seem to lack strategic/forward thinking, but thankfully Peter Steinlauf is still alive to kick some butts and to bring in new ideas.

Cons

Total comp is not competitive. While base pay is about market, they don't have a regular bonus program (only 5% this year) or equity. Generally that could be valued at around 20k annually for a senior engineer.

Also a lot of executives lack strategic thinking (despite spending a lot of cash on consultants). Peter Steinlauf needs to light a fire under their butts. Other reviews complain that Peter is a negative but I'd argue he's the reason I still have faith in the company.

If Peter goes away, I'd fear the management would be too complacent and it'll follow the fate of Blockbuster/Circuit City/Radioshack.

Advice to Management

Bump up salaries or add a performance bonus to engineers. Don't add stock since the private nature is a big benefit (long term thinking).

Avi and Seth should be more like Peter for the success of this company.

"Recruiter"

Former Contractor - Corporate Recruiter in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Contractor - Corporate Recruiter in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very easy going work environment. My boss gave me a lot of autonomy to come in and do the job I was hired to do. Decent perks for a .com company.

Cons

Too much turnover of key players. There are a lot of smart people at Edmunds but due to the family owned nature of the company, too many people are kept and let go based on favoritism. That said, I personally was treated very well and had no issue with this.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to keep fostering the fun atmosphere of employment but also keep in mind that those who get into your "inner circle" are sometimes the ones you are most in need to give scrutiny.