Edmunds.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Having the results only work environment has allowed me to still be the mother I strive to be and earn myself a living (in 45 reviews)

• Other pros are the Results only work environment and the really cool office space/d (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The company preaches work life balance but what does that mean and to who (in 7 reviews)

• meetings while the rest of the peasants do the actual work with little to no direction (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Dream Jobs Come True"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Progressive work environment unafraid to challenge archaic Industrial era management practices, strong culture with coherent values and norms (they practice what they preach), a company that exemplifies the attitude that how you treat your employees will be reflected in their work product (treat them better, they'll produce better outcomes for the company)

Cons

Low turnover and long tenures can leave new hires feeling like a high school transfer student looking for a place to sit in the lunchroom (even though everyone here is generally friendly and welcoming); anyone more accustomed to a highly structured and process oriented corporate environment may struggle to adapt to the entrepreneurial, outcome oriented mode of operations here that simultaneously makes it such a great place for self-directed and intrinsically motivated individuals

Advice to Management

Rally the company behind the imminent paradigm shift in the automotive sector (e.g. autonomous vehicles, ride sharing, etc.) and articulate a clearer vision for the role that will we play in effecting that change so our collective efforts might be imbued with great significance and purpose

Edmunds.com Response

Sep 18, 2016

Response: What a thoughtful review! Thank you! We always love to hear about the enjoyment employees get from working in our innovative environment and unique culture. In addition to that, we really... More

"Edmunds.com is the best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

1. Incredible respect for the employees. I've never seen an HR team work harder to take care of the people who work here. Amazing vacation policy, great work-life balance, fantastic benefits, super family-friendly environment, ongoing training, what else can I say? And an HR department who are approachable, earnest and here to support us.
    2. Innovative culture. Have a new idea? It's welcome here, and if it's a good idea 20 people will offer to help you make it happen. From Product ideas to Process methodologies to new ways of getting feedback to employees, the management encourages and supports innovation from the troops (not just from the top).
    3. Incredibly high work standards. Some people on here clearly see this as a negative, and Edmunds is demanding. But it also means that we create products you can be proud of, and that under-performers are pushed out of the company (to the relief of the rest of us).
    4. Family-friendly company. This is a company where you can have a passionate, exciting career and have time & energy for your family as well. No one frowns at you for taking a family vacation, making time to attend a child's play, or heading out early for a date with your spouse.
    5. Passionate, smart & compassionate management team. The C-level execs who head up Edmunds are the best I've ever worked with (and no, I'm not one of them). They're smart, well educated and will challenge you to do your best. They are focused on creating the best possible experience for our customers, even at the expense of the dealers/OEMs who pay our advertising. And they are deeply concerned about the satisfaction and advancement of their employees.

Cons

Some major changes have taken place in the last 6 months, which have made this a much much better place to work. In the past we had these problems:
    1. Bitter, disenfranchised employees who think they're entitled to promotions simply because of how many years they've been here. Thankfully many of these have left, although we still have a few hanging around. I hope we can get the rest of them out before they can do harm to the happy people. Many of them seem to be posting reviews here, unfortunately.
    2. A long release process. Again, this has changed and we've gone from a multi-month (or even year) release cycle to a quick & efficient <monthly iteration.
    3. A cumbersome, slow infrastructure that prevented real innovation. Again, happily, we've fixed this problem which is allowing us to move quickly and actually see our ideas go live in a matter of weeks.

Advice to Management

I love the new Design Thinking approach! Keep empowering us and giving us a chance to come up with the new ideas & direction for the company - whether product ideas, HR policies, or cultural changes.

"Edmunds is a great place to work. They care about their employees."

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

I've been at Edmunds.com for nearly seven years. The company has doubled in size and revenue since I started. There have been some growing pains, but one thing that has never wavered is the company's commitment to employee satisfaction and work/life balance. The benefits are top notch and senior management is accessible and responsive. My career has flourished at Edmunds and I am grateful for the opportunities the company has given me to continue my education and develop my skills. The talent pool here is amazing.

Cons

Santa Monica is a beautiful location, but unless you live on the Westside, you are going to face a terrible commute.

Advice to Management

I think a more transparent salary structure would help to boost morale. Additionally, company-wide announcements about job changes and promotions would help us keep up with other departments better.

4. "Hands down the best place to work"

Former Employee - Data Research Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Data Research Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edmunds prides itself on being "hands down the best place to work in Southern California" and they are. They provide you with lots of free snacks and arcade games to unwind with during breaks. However, it's not just the benefits, but the people who work there that make it worth while. My colleagues became my close friends and I looked forward to working with them everyday.

Cons

The pay is not as competitive as other companies, which the benefits seem to make up for.

"one of best company i have worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

ROWE
    co workers
    technology
    Agile /kanban process
    work ethics

Cons

ROWE some times can be too taxing as the border between work life and home life mergers, But it isn't a CON if you need that flexibility

6. "Public Relations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Great people, and company. The office atmosphere makes you excited about work and management always keeps you engaged with the company and its product.

Cons

Great experience all around. Enjoyed my tenure in the Public Relations department and having nothing to complain about.

"Finally found the company I was looking for.."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ROWE (Results Only Work Environment)
    Compensation and Benefits
    Work Culture
    Technology

Cons

Even though Work Life Balance is great cause of ROWE sometimes there are days where you end up working a lot and other days where you dont have much to do

"Best Company Ever!"

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

Excellent career advancement opportunities. Great work and life balance. Excellent compensation

Cons

There are constantly clash between business and tech

9. "Great experience. Great benefits"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

Loved being able to work from home and take regular vacation days.

Cons

Too many spontaneous projects direction changes.

Advice to Management

Let your teams contribute to the strategic decision making

10. "They truly value their employees!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is incredible here. Most departments of this company are super flexible with your schedule. I come and go as I please, and I can actually live life and get my job done - all the while not feeling as stressed. If I want to leave for the day bc I'm tired, I do. But, I get my job done.
    The leadership TRULY cares about the consumer. They take every piece of feedback and try to apply it to making our site better.
    Edmunds just really values their employees and treats us well. We have a lot of fun events all the time, and they really spare no expense for us.

Cons

At times, it's hard to see any growth potential. Seems like sometimes people get promoted or moved up based on tenure vs actual knowledge of how to run a team of people (a critical skill).
    The flexible work environment has a different definition depending on what dept you're in. I think it should be consistent throughout. I know that's the goal. But, it's not reality at the moment.