KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Edmunds.com

Engaged Employer

Edmunds.com

Add a Review

Edmunds.com Employee Reviews about "santa monica"

Updated Apr 27, 2020

Found 25 of over 329 reviews

4.1
Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf
Pros
  • "ROWE (results only work environment) allows for flexible schedule and remote options even prior to covid(in 52 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is the best I've seen or heard of(in 32 reviews)

• Cons
  • "A lot of the great work that happens in the office doesn't always translate well when we interact with dealers and customers(in 14 reviews)

• "Edmunds is located in Santa Monica(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "santa monica"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible Place to Work

Jul 9, 2019 - Graphic Designer in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work/life balance is the best I've seen or heard of. In addition to having great hours and flexible working from home policies, the Santa Monica office has tons of different work spaces — outdoors, comfy couches, swinging chairs, a library, bike and treadmill desks, and quiet rooms — so you never feel chained to your assigned desk. Edmunds is strongly based on transparency and growth, both individually and as a company. So, you always know how the company is doing and you get a real sense of how your work aligns with the company goals. Individually speaking, there are always opportunities for the employees to set personal goals in order to grow within the company. If there's a skill, software, or program you're interesting in learning, the managers will go out of their way to make that possible. Overall, I've always felt extremely supported and well taken care of, which makes me take great pride in the work that I do. AND, as an added bonus, the people are super smart and really fun to work with :)

Cons

I have yet to experience any downsides to working at Edmunds. It's a place I can see myself working at for years to come.

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Totally unstable

Apr 27, 2020 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office in Santa Monica, but it doesn't produce any revenue unfortunately. It's a money pit that sacrifices many other things that lead to failure.

Cons

Too many to list unfortunately. If you want to have a long, prosperous career with advancement and an opportunity to be set up for success, then this is not the right company for you. Upper management and Execs will act like they listen to new ideas, but in reality, they will never listen or act upon anything new because it might threaten their cushy existence. There is zero alternative business experience at the top. Literally zero. All of the top people have been at Edmunds forever and they have nothing new or innovative to bring to the table. They operate in a tiny box, and if you don't agree with their narrative, you will be pushed out of the company. It's that simple. There are leaders in the company (again, who have been there forever) that treat their direct reports like absolute garbage. One in particular who controls a large part of the western U.S. has countless HR complaints for harassing direct reports. Nothing has ever happened to this individual and he has a job for life, because he echoes the narrative within the small circle at the top. So, he has a job for life. This is a glaring example and a microcosm of how the entire organization operates across all of their departments. Secondly, the company knowingly rips off their customers. They allocate a tiny portion of the overall budget of a client's spend to actual media. They take 60%-80% of the money and pocket it. Their reputation on the street is awful. Their cancel rate is astronomical and there is no bottom in sight. It's very sad, because with the right leadership and ownership the company could innovate great things and be a leader in the industry. But, this will never happen. Ever.

21 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Account Executive

Mar 6, 2016 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company is REALLY totally transparent about what they're doing. The sales people ask hard questions or provide tough feedback about new products that need tweaks with the CEO and the President, all upper management, etc. in the same large meeting (400+ people in the room). They (management) expect real comments and feedback, and they fix it, if not later that day then later that week. If that's not enough, they treat their employees extremely well with above average pay and benefits. Its family owned, and well established. The brand name has a great reputation and the site has 20 years of content that no other site has. It's a West Coast dot.com that is expanding their sales footprint into smaller markets to compete more completely with AT and Cars.com. You can talk to or email every executive or product manager from the CEO on down the line. We meet several times a year for sales meetings and so you get to know the people at corporate (2 meetings each year are in Santa Monica at the headquarters) and so you can contact them from your sales territory and they'll get back to you pretty quickly. The company is growing but still has a start-up feel to it.

Cons

There are no cons to this company. Selling to dealers will keep you busy and they can be challenging but the company is giving you everything you need to be successful.

Edmunds.com Response

Thank you so much for your glowing review. It's important to us that employees remain as satisfied and engaged throughout their career here as they were when they first started. Things like Seth Berkowitz’s daily diary, Peter Steinlauf’s blog entries, and Avi Steinlauf hosting the weekly Cadillac meetings are definitely meant to keep the entire population informed about key initiatives, product launches and the overall performance and direction of the company. It is great to hear those things are helping.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Sales Executive

Mar 10, 2018 - Sales Representative in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company when you first walk through the doors in Santa Monica leaves an impression on you. You want to work at a company like this for ever, by looking at it. But it’s like that pretty girl covered in make up, you eventually wake up when morning and she’s not wearing her make up and you see the ugly truth. I don’t know the CEO personally but he seems like on ok dude. It makes you wonder if he really knows what’s happening. To bring it back to its greatness, Edmund’s really needs to right some wrongs.

Cons

I hate to say it but these reviews are true. It’s really not a great place to work anymore and I’m trying to be optimistic but they really have mistreated some good people and they know the product doesn’t work but will tell you to lie to sell it basically. I understand the company having financial issues but I will never understand mistreating people or treating them like the are less than. I have never witnessed any discrimination or anything like that at Edmund’s but I could definitely see them sweeping it under the rug. If they did bad move, shame on the company and whoever is taking part. Never leave a fairly decent job to come to Edmunds, you will regret it. It’s a bad move. This is the worse so if you have if fairly decent, stay where you are bro.

25 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee

A company that is structured like a bank - everyone is a VP, competent or not.

May 10, 2010 - IT Management in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company is located in the beautiful Santa Monica. The office space and decor is modern. Compensation is fairly paid. It has good 401k, dental and vision benefits. The company promotes promotion from within.

Cons

The company organization structure is like a bank. The number of VPs and Executives in this company can rival a bank. There's a department in Edmunds that illustrates this point perfectly. This department has 5 employee: a Sr VP, an Exec Director, a Mgr, and an administrator. Basically, everyone is a manager and only one person who is doing most of the work. Promoting from within sounds great. However, when an incompetent leader promoted another incompetent leader, the company gets a bunch of incompetent leaders who are now running the company. Good people are leaving, because who would want to report to a supervisor who is incompetent?

9 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Apr 1, 2017 - Director in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been here for less than 4 months. So far my experience has been quite positive. My colleagues are always open to new ideas and trying new things. I work in the digital marketing space. I feel that the work we do is cutting edge. We work with a wide variety of advertising platforms and have a very data-oriented approach to marketing. There isn't much bureaucracy, most people are quite approachable. If you like working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment then this is the place to be. Other pros are the Results only work environment and the really cool office space/décor and location.

Cons

Bad traffic leads to bad commutes to work in the Santa Monica area. ROWE helps mitigate this to some extent.

Director, Employment Experience

Welcome to Edmunds! We are so happy you have already had such a positive experience during your short time here. One of our core values, as you know, is transparency and achieving that goal requires our leadership team to be very approachable. Like you said- LA traffic is a universal issue for all who live in Southern California, but Edmunds certainly hopes our flexible work environment allows its employees bypass this inconvenience. Employees are able to work whenever they want wherever they want as long as they deliver results. This unique perk offers a solution to the LA traffic dilemma.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Best Company I Ever Worked For

Jul 1, 2016 - Account Manager in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Definitely the best place I ever worked. Free espresso bar, bagels on Friday, WAY more paid holidays than anyone else I ever worked for, best people. Boss was always super-understanding and super-flexible, company was successful and shared success with employees in the form of perks and surprises, and because it's a car website company with partnerships with manufacturers, the employees get huge discounts on actual cars. Office is in Santa Monica, and it's beautiful everywhere. Also, I understand this place is now fully results-oriented work environment (ROWE).

Cons

Office is in Santa Monica. Pay was decent, but not enough to live anywhere close to work.

Edmunds.com Response

Hi there! Thank you for a great review. Feedback from employees is invaluable, but feedback from former employees is extremely meaningful as we recognize and appreciate the impact we had on you as you continue your career. The positive thoughts of former employees helps show that we strive to be a both a place people can spend their careers, and a place of learning and development that will help them grow in their careers elsewhere. That also may be why we have such a large number of boomerangs. All the best!

8. 3.0
      Current Employee

Used to be a 'Great Place To Work,' now its an 'Ok Place To Work'

Dec 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Smart and motivated coworkers. - The froyo is delicious. The coffee keeps you focused. The soda machine keeps your blood sugar levels high. Maybe the last one's a con. Net neutral. - ROWE 2.0 allows you flexibility to go to the dentist whenever you need to. - Beautiful office. It's got a slide. My personal experience is positive because my manager is great.

Cons

- ROWE 2.0 removed the "remote" from the R. Went from picking your working hours from home to must be in office during X time. - Massive title inflation. Many managers only manage a single person. Teams full of directors. - Below market salaries for the Santa Monica area. - October massacre. 58 people were laid off so moral is low. The remaining talented members are leaving for other companies. - Loss of perks. Lost free lunches. Lost bonus.ly. Lost Trip Ca$h. Lost ROWE.

29 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Place I've Ever Worked – And I've Been at Some Great Companies

Mar 30, 2018 - Curriculum Manager, Sales Effectiveness in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Edmunds is hands down the best place I've ever worked. It starts with the people, who are truly incredible. It's filled with smart, passionate professionals. There is also a lot of diversity – we're not all the way there, but Edmunds is well ahead of other places I've worked. And aside from ethnic and gender diversity, we've got a great blend of backgrounds – small college, large university, liberal arts, STEM, we have representatives from all. And, while the majority of our staff is based out of Santa Monica, we have salespeople spread across the country, which gives us geographic diversity as well. Edmunds also has a fantastic office space. As someone who does creative work, I find the place incredibly energizing. As the weather warms up – and we're located in Southern California, so it’s mostly warm – they pull back the sliding glass doors to the interior courtyard. You can take your laptop out there to work – or meet up in one of the pods throughout the building. I also love the egalitarian office space. Everyone has the same desk configuration, from the owners of the company all the way down to new hires in operations. You literally can’t tell someone’s rank by where they sit. (There are some exceptions: our in-house lawyers do have traditional offices so that they can have private conversations, but, as noted, the owners all sit out in the open with everyone else.) I spent years working at companies where mediocre middle managers rated offices - I really love the layout here at Edmunds. Another plus: the Workplace Experience Team, which runs the facility, is devoted to employee satisfaction. In every other company I've worked for, the operations department is all about enforcing the rules: making sure you keep a lid on your coffee cup or you clean up the conference room after you've used it. Here, the Employment Experience is focused on organizing events, making sure that employees have everything they need to do their jobs, and, oh yeah, keeping the place sparkling. Finally, I want to say something about our Results Only Work Environment. I really love it. Under ROWE, I can scheduled family and personal time without asking for permission. I can work from home when I need to and I have a lot of flexibility around the hours that I work – this is great for me, because I can usually schedule my workday around the times where I have the most energy. Obviously, if you work with other people – as I do – you never have complete control of your schedule, but Edmunds does a great job of allowing you to reach a good balance. Here's how I'd sum it up: Edmunds provides the most fun, creative atmosphere I’ve ever experienced, a place where you can relax while also getting a lot of serious work done. They treat you like an adult. You'll have outstanding co-workers. And you'll have the benefits of working for a relatively small, family-owned business while enjoying the perks of a much larger company.

Cons

Edmunds is located in Santa Monica. That's actually a plus in many ways – for example, there are lots of fantastic restaurants in Santa Monica, but the flip side is that there's a lot of traffic. Unless you are fortunate enough to actually live on the West Side of LA, you will have to deal with traffic. Also, Edmunds is a fast-paced environment where things change quickly. I think this is a plus on the whole, but there's definitely a downside. If you want to work in a place where you'll be doing the same thing in the same way for years, this isn't the company for you.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Edmunds is a great place to work. They care about their employees.

Feb 22, 2011 - Director of Product Management in Santa Monica, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at Edmunds.com for nearly seven years. The company has doubled in size and revenue since I started. There have been some growing pains, but one thing that has never wavered is the company's commitment to employee satisfaction and work/life balance. The benefits are top notch and senior management is accessible and responsive. My career has flourished at Edmunds and I am grateful for the opportunities the company has given me to continue my education and develop my skills. The talent pool here is amazing.

Cons

Santa Monica is a beautiful location, but unless you live on the Westside, you are going to face a terrible commute.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews