Education Elements Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Education Elements CEO & Founder Anthony Kim
Anthony Kim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Dedicated people and fantastic culture in a mission-driven company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Education Elements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Education Elements is on a mission, and it feels like I'm an important part of that every single day. The company, both in business practice and culture is true to its promise, and is one of the few I've worked for that practice what it preaches. The variety of people working in an environment where your individualism is valued makes coming to work fun every single day. And seeing the work our clients do with our help sends me home fulfilled. The company preaches transformation and is always in the middle of transforming itself.

This is not a typical small tech company in culture or business. The people come from a variety of backgrounds, and the culture is made of of the collected stories of each of the people. The work is challenging, but leadership also works hard to make sure that people don't get burned out.

Cons

This is a small, rapidly growing company, with all the associated challenges. You are expected to rely on your own resourcefulness more than company resources, and expected to create what you need rather than have it handed to you.

There's little process and formality in any aspect of the business or its management. That's showing signs of change, but is has a way to go. The continuous transformation can be unsettling at times

Advice to Management

- Keep transforming. Stay true to how you practice what you preach.
    - Work to better integrate people who come from different backgrounds (professionally)

May 1, 2016

Thank you for your review!

I agree we have work to do around systems and am very excited about the progress we have made as well as the work in front of us. Practicing what we preach is hard but... More

"Directionless, motivationless selfish environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Education Elements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Umm..... can not think of any. Except for may be they are close to Hiller museum food trucks. Get free food once a week.

Cons

If you are a tech person, this is not a place for you. Everyone here works in a constant fear and tries to do all tasks by themselves by working long hours. Why do they do that you ask? No trust in team. No trust on management. Well to be fair, leadership is weak. Have no sense of direction. Absolutely no focus on big picture. If you are person who is serious about your career, this is no place for you .

"Great Mission, Typical Startup Feel"

Pros

-Education Elements has a great mission, working hard to help clients improve learning experiences and outcomes for all students.

-Management is open to feedback, and constantly evolving as a result. Management tries hard to be honest and transparent about changes and company outlook.

-There is lots of opportunity for growth. Be ready to grow!

-Lots of very intelligent hardworking people.

Cons

-Five years in, but still has the pains of a typical startup. There currently exists a lack of structure in many areas. While there is a desire to improve this, there isn't really a clear path to get there.

-Very long hours. Everyone is expected to be a salesperson all of the time. Services roles are not ideal for someone who is not interested in upselling or "schmoozing" with clients as this is expected of everyone. This is unfortunate as it can push away those who might be of great service otherwise.

Advice to Management

-Continue to be transparent and responsive to employee feedback.
    -Consider bringing in outside services, e.g. consulting, professional development or otherwise, to provide guidance on areas such as company structures and professional development for employees.
    -Make professional growth of employees a priority by providing learning opportunities beyond shadowing client visits. This will help to build more confidence and capacity internally.

Aug 8, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I know many of us love working for a company that is, as you mention, mission-oriented and working towards something so important - how we can work with school systems... More

"Typical Education Startup Problems but then few more"

I worked at Education Elements full-time

Pros

Very passionate folks who want to improve learning outcomes for students

Cons

Few years ago did not have a good engineering or product team. Lack of QA caused tremendous bugs, and very unsatisfied customers

May 1, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Ed Elements. You are right, we are extremely committed and passionate. I also think we are great, and getting even better, at both product... More

5. "Innovative Company that Helps People and Ideas Grow"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

The company is not afraid to embrace change in order to better help the districts that we serve--whether that means adapting our product strategy, how we run meetings or how we create structures to help us collaborate across teams. This is also a place that allows individuals to grow as professionals by changing roles, taking on new responsibilities and learning in the process. Finally, our company is more focused on getting the work done as opposed to pushing new ideas through rigid or hierarchical structures.

Cons

Unlike some other companies and organizations, we do not have much in place in terms of regular feedback or evaluations for individuals. If you are a reflective individual or are not afraid to reach out to others to get feedback on your performance, this might now be a problem for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on raising transparency and awareness across the company. This something we have been working on and that has certainly improved. The more in tune we are with each other's work and the purpose of our respective work, the more effective we will be for our schools.

Aug 8, 2016

Thanks for the positive words and encouragement. I love that you recognize our willingness (and excitement) around adapting to meet the needs of our districts and our teams. It is really important... More

"Overall great for anyone passionate about education!"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

- Surrounded by great people/ great culture
    - Impactful mission
    - Really makes me feel like I'm making a difference
    - A lot of opportunities to advance your career in any direction you like
    - I wake up excited to go to work

Cons

- General start up struggles
    - feels like ideas are executed through trial and error with no particular logic or reasoning -- still figuring out the what direction the company should go
    - pretty understaffed, forced to have more responsibilities

Apr 5, 2016

It's great to hear you enjoy working at Ed Elements and especially that you feel like you are making a difference (its not just a feeling - you are!). I love that you get up excited to go to work... More

"Fun nerdy culture, employees with a passion for education"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

Work here contributes to helping kids learn, prepare for college, and learn to take a more active part in their own education.

A high portion of former teachers in the company gives it a nerdy, smart, friendly, and idealistic culture. Science jokes, game nights, 'Tie Tuesdays', animated discussions about psychology and education are all examples of this.

Still on the young / small side, people have a lot of opportunity to impact the company and the direction of its products and services. There are also a lot of opportunities to shift roles within the company as well.

People are also very willing to experience with different ways of working: different internal processes, different approaches to design or development, etc.

The company is also very flexible around hours and working from home a day or two a week.

Cons

Most of these are the cons you would find at any small company. Work requires a lot of self-motivation and direction, willingness to learn new skills and get out of your comfort zone (a pro for some, a con for some).

Since the company is small, opportunities for personal learning about, but internal opportunities for structured mentorship, networking, and professional develop are more limited than in a large company.

While there are a lot of wonderful opportunities to practice leadership, ownership, and responsibility, and having a big impact, there aren't any set career ladders / titles to aspire to.

Also, it is a growing company in a small, space so the office can get noisy. This is offset by the company being very flexible about working from home. Headphones recommended.

Advice to Management

Right now there are no structured review processes for employee performance. Autonomy is great, and most people here are intelligent and self-driven. However, even self-motivated people can benefit from regular course corrections as well as structured guidance, mentoring, and career planning.

Apr 5, 2016

Thank you so much for your review! I agree we have work to do to think about how to better support everyone's growth and we will continue to work towards finding more opportunities for mentorship... More

"anon."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Pros

The people! A collaborative culture, flexible working schedules, passionate about the work we do, sense of humor. Fun, relaxed working environment-- growth mindset

Cons

A startup, so not without hiccups. Many learning curves, but everyone willing to work through the challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture team members and provide structured time for professional growth/learning.

Apr 5, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I like that you focused on the growth mindset - we are definitely all learners here. It is great you also feel like while there are challenges we work... More

9. "Great company, great people, just needs better direction"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

- Good team
    - good culture overall
    - Start up feel (which I personally love)
    - Idea of the product is good

Cons

- High churn
    - poor execution of ideas
    - leadership is not strong enough

Advice to Management

Get your goals aligned. If you could make it work well, you have a great product. Take care of your people.

Apr 5, 2016

I really love the start up feel too - it brings a ton of energy to everything we do.

We have done a lot of work around our six goals this year but I understand you may feel like there is more work... More

"A great place to work in EdTech"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

* The people. The delightfully quirky nature of each of my colleagues makes my day...every day.
    * The potential for growth and education. There's a lot of opportunity for cross-functional growth and education. I feel valued and invested in here.
    * The impact. Doesn't matter what team you're on or what role you have, there is an opportunity for your voice to be heard.

Cons

We work hard. We play hard, too...but if you're not willing to put in some elbow grease, this probably isn't a fit for you.