Education Elements Reviews

Anthony Kim

"Growing, fast-paced, mission-driven"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Education Elements full-time for more than a year

Pros

The consulting team is a group of smart, passionate and hard-working former educators/consultants that truly care about changing the landscape of education. The team is collaborative, joyful and distributes leadership/ownerhsip well. Most school districts are highly satisfied with the services and the EE team members they get to partner with. The company is focused on growing services beyond its core personalized learning offering. This creates opportunities for team members to pursue other areas of interest and have the resources to build expertise in these.

Cons

District partnerships are all over the country, so team members must be committed to travel (50% of work time is about average). The schedule does reflect the school year, and when schools are on break, consultants get a lot more down time.

2. "Responsive organization"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Education Elements full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership is dedicated to employee development & empowerment. They have built decentralized decision making structures and give employees ample opportunities to work outside of their designated lanes.

Cons

The extra work outside of your designated role can be burdensome to manage.

"company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Education Elements full-time for less than a year

Pros

great cutlture, great work life balance, flexible hours

Cons

they don't seems to know what they are doing in technology field, needs lot of improvements. Most of the people seem to be friend of CEO

"Not much going on"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Education Elements full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy over what you want to work on Relaxed working environment Free lunch once a week Flexible working hours

Cons

Not much going on with very few users are using the product Low enthusiasm in the team

"Great Place"

I worked at Education Elements full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work conditions, great CEO

Cons

A little too politically correct.

Continue reading

"Directionless, motivationless selfish environment"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Education Elements full-time for less than a year

Pros

Umm..... can not think of any. Except for may be they are close to Hiller museum food trucks. Get free food once a week.

Cons

If you are a tech person, this is not a place for you. Everyone here works in a constant fear and tries to do all tasks by themselves by working long hours. Why do they do that you ask? No trust in team. No trust on management. Well to be fair, leadership is weak. Have no sense of direction. Absolutely no focus on big picture. If you are person who is serious about your career, this is no place for you .

August 20, 2017

We are sorry to hear that you feel that way. We strive to make Ed Elements a place where people love what they do, trust each other, and work together to help us with our vision - to create dynamic school systems and have a lasting impact on the lives of the students, teachers and leaders within them. We are always open to direct feedback so please let us know if you have suggestions for improvement.

"Great Mission, Typical Startup Feel"

I have been working at Education Elements

Pros

-Education Elements has a great mission, working hard to help clients improve learning experiences and outcomes for all students. -Management is open to feedback, and constantly evolving as a result. Management tries hard to be honest and transparent about changes and company outlook. -There is lots of opportunity for growth. Be ready to grow! -Lots of very intelligent hardworking people.

Cons

-Five years in, but still has the pains of a typical startup. There currently exists a lack of structure in many areas. While there is a desire to improve this, there isn't really a clear path to get there. -Very long hours. Everyone is expected to be a salesperson all of the time. Services roles are not ideal for someone who is not interested in upselling or "schmoozing" with clients as this is expected of everyone. This is unfortunate as it can push away those who might be of great service otherwise.

August 8, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I know many of us love working for a company that is, as you mention, mission-oriented and working towards something so important - how we can work with school systems to improve learning for students. I appreciate your advice. We will continue to be transparent and use our weekly Friday company meetings as a way to communicate; but will continue to look for other vehicles as well. I hope the new addition of both GSD Friday afternoons, as well as the Train Your Brain monthly afternoons, help to address some of the concerns about hours as well as the need for PD. Keep the ideas coming - we are listening and doing what we can to make it an even better place to work.

"Dedicated people and fantastic culture in a mission-driven company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Education Elements full-time for less than a year

Pros

Education Elements is on a mission, and it feels like I'm an important part of that every single day. The company, both in business practice and culture is true to its promise, and is one of the few I've worked for that practice what it preaches. The variety of people working in an environment where your individualism is valued makes coming to work fun every single day. And seeing the work our clients do with our help sends me home fulfilled. The company preaches transformation and is always in the middle of transforming itself. This is not a typical small tech company in culture or business. The people come from a variety of backgrounds, and the culture is made of of the collected stories of each of the people. The work is challenging, but leadership also works hard to make sure that people don't get burned out.

Cons

This is a small, rapidly growing company, with all the associated challenges. You are expected to rely on your own resourcefulness more than company resources, and expected to create what you need rather than have it handed to you. There's little process and formality in any aspect of the business or its management. That's showing signs of change, but is has a way to go. The continuous transformation can be unsettling at times

May 1, 2016

Thank you for your review! I agree we have work to do around systems and am very excited about the progress we have made as well as the work in front of us. Practicing what we preach is hard but important work!

"Overall great for anyone passionate about education!"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

- Surrounded by great people/ great culture - Impactful mission - Really makes me feel like I'm making a difference - A lot of opportunities to advance your career in any direction you like - I wake up excited to go to work

Cons

- General start up struggles - feels like ideas are executed through trial and error with no particular logic or reasoning -- still figuring out the what direction the company should go - pretty understaffed, forced to have more responsibilities

April 5, 2016

It's great to hear you enjoy working at Ed Elements and especially that you feel like you are making a difference (its not just a feeling - you are!). I love that you get up excited to go to work each morning, I feel the same way. I know it sometimes may seem like ideas are executed through trial and error and in some cases, you are right - we want to be a company where it is "safe to try" and we encourage failing forward and learning. There are bigger things we try, however, that are the result of a lot of thinking first. that doesn't mean they always work out the way we hope but the more we learn about the needs of districts the better we get at serving them. Good news about feeling understaffed - one, this year we will grow from around 50 people to 75! Also, and this may not always be comforting, but taking on new responsibilities does help each of us grow.

"Innovative Company that Helps People and Ideas Grow"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

The company is not afraid to embrace change in order to better help the districts that we serve--whether that means adapting our product strategy, how we run meetings or how we create structures to help us collaborate across teams. This is also a place that allows individuals to grow as professionals by changing roles, taking on new responsibilities and learning in the process. Finally, our company is more focused on getting the work done as opposed to pushing new ideas through rigid or hierarchical structures.

Cons

Unlike some other companies and organizations, we do not have much in place in terms of regular feedback or evaluations for individuals. If you are a reflective individual or are not afraid to reach out to others to get feedback on your performance, this might now be a problem for you.

August 8, 2016

Thanks for the positive words and encouragement. I love that you recognize our willingness (and excitement) around adapting to meet the needs of our districts and our teams. It is really important to us to remain agile. We are doing work around feedback but this still remains better in practice on some teams than others. This is something we are working on so I hope you are seeing some of the results already, with more to come!

Found 30 reviews