KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,866

959 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0

Flexible and Fun

Apr 5, 2021 - Design Principal in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative, Innovative, Responsive Organization, Client Relationships

Cons

Busy working hours, a lot of travel, not a lot of room to move up in the company

Education Elements Response

Collaborative, innovative, responsive - we attribute these qualities to the amazing team that we have. Because of these qualities, we have been able to develop deep client relationships. We are constantly working to make improvements that best meet our client’s needs, provide growth opportunities for our consultants and innovate on new ways to deliver services. Some of these changes take time to develop but please know the we are here to listen to evolving needs and collaborate to create solutions.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

High staff turnover and burnout

Nov 1, 2021 - Design Principal in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place for flexibility and pay bump if you are looking to enter private industry or consulting space from the classroom or a school district.

Cons

The business sells more work than it has the hours or experience to staff and burns out employees. More veteran team members say this how it has always been. A lack of consistent management structures means work is unequally spread across the team and promotions are based on relationships rather than performance.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Education Elements Response

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. We value all feedback and want to work with individuals to address concerns. There are mechanisms to share concerns - office hours, 1-1s, team meetings, etc. - and people who are focused on examining our systems to identify gaps and work towards solutions. We encourage you to reach out so we can work together towards improvements.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Dysfunctional, Toxic

Aug 4, 2021 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people, flexible work hours and environment (when capacity allows, which is rare for consultants)

Cons

Company is experiencing massive turnover in leadership and consultants in the past 12 months. 'Leaders' in the company focus on signing deals but not on the supports needed to implement services. Most/all of the heavy work trickles down onto the consulting team who are constantly overworked but expected to see everything as an opportunity and accept it with a smile. There is no actual HR arm of the company to support you, and if you complain outside of an anonymous feedback form (recently discontinued) you face being labeled and treated as a complainer by leadership.

3 people found this review helpful

Education Elements Response

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud to have the incredibly smart and dedicated team we have at EE. We have experienced a great deal of growth over the past couple of years and our team has been immensely resilient. These changes have allowed us the ability to support our school systems in new and exciting ways. This could not be done without the talent, expertise and passion that each of our team members bring to this work. We also recognize that a lot of hard work is required to support this type of growth. We are currently working on a numerous ways to address the capacity challenges the team faces in order to best meet our client’s needs, provide growth opportunities for our consultants and innovate on new ways to deliver services. Some of these changes take time to develop but please know the we are here to listen to evolving needs and collaborate to create solutions. I also wanted to clarify why the anonymous feedback form was discontinued. We were finding that many issues submitted to the form were difficult to address without knowing who submitted; some submissions also required follow up coaching or more direct conversation. Our intent was not to discourage feedback but to encourage more interpersonal interactions and self-advocacy. Again, we appreciate your feedback so we can dig into how to improve. We are also sorry to hear your experience at EE is not what you had hoped.

4. 3.0

no headline

Apr 7, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

smart people, lots of professional growth for yourself

Cons

lack of solid, important structures (i.e. performance reviews) and lots of ambiguity - get very tiring after awhile

Education Elements Response

Thank you for your review! Yes we have incredibly smart people and seek to create an environment that fosters personal growth. We are happy to hear that has been your experience! To continue to support that culture of learning, we are working towards more defined structures that meet the needs of our growing team.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Dedicated people and fantastic culture in a mission-driven company

Apr 14, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Education Elements is on a mission, and it feels like I'm an important part of that every single day. The company, both in business practice and culture is true to its promise, and is one of the few I've worked for that practice what it preaches. The variety of people working in an environment where your individualism is valued makes coming to work fun every single day. And seeing the work our clients do with our help sends me home fulfilled. The company preaches transformation and is always in the middle of transforming itself. This is not a typical small tech company in culture or business. The people come from a variety of backgrounds, and the culture is made of of the collected stories of each of the people. The work is challenging, but leadership also works hard to make sure that people don't get burned out.

Cons

This is a small, rapidly growing company, with all the associated challenges. You are expected to rely on your own resourcefulness more than company resources, and expected to create what you need rather than have it handed to you. There's little process and formality in any aspect of the business or its management. That's showing signs of change, but is has a way to go. The continuous transformation can be unsettling at times

Education Elements Response

Thank you for your review! I agree we have work to do around systems and am very excited about the progress we have made as well as the work in front of us. Practicing what we preach is hard but important work!

6. 5.0

Innovative Company that Helps People and Ideas Grow

Apr 11, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is not afraid to embrace change in order to better help the districts that we serve--whether that means adapting our product strategy, how we run meetings or how we create structures to help us collaborate across teams. This is also a place that allows individuals to grow as professionals by changing roles, taking on new responsibilities and learning in the process. Finally, our company is more focused on getting the work done as opposed to pushing new ideas through rigid or hierarchical structures.

Cons

Unlike some other companies and organizations, we do not have much in place in terms of regular feedback or evaluations for individuals. If you are a reflective individual or are not afraid to reach out to others to get feedback on your performance, this might now be a problem for you.

Education Elements Response

Thanks for the positive words and encouragement. I love that you recognize our willingness (and excitement) around adapting to meet the needs of our districts and our teams. It is really important to us to remain agile. We are doing work around feedback but this still remains better in practice on some teams than others. This is something we are working on so I hope you are seeing some of the results already, with more to come!

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great purpose, but needs to spend more time on efficiency and accurate first attempts

Oct 30, 2014 -  in San Carlos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really cares about their employees. Truly believe in the positive impact of the product. Friendly employees who will go out of their way to help you if you reach out to them.

Cons

The issues that come up with the product and the clients need to be addressed at the core. Processes need to be standardized, but the company is unwilling to spend the time or energy to do so because they are already looking ahead.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0

Great Mission, Typical Startup Feel

Jun 24, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Education Elements has a great mission, working hard to help clients improve learning experiences and outcomes for all students. -Management is open to feedback, and constantly evolving as a result. Management tries hard to be honest and transparent about changes and company outlook. -There is lots of opportunity for growth. Be ready to grow! -Lots of very intelligent hardworking people.

Cons

-Five years in, but still has the pains of a typical startup. There currently exists a lack of structure in many areas. While there is a desire to improve this, there isn't really a clear path to get there. -Very long hours. Everyone is expected to be a salesperson all of the time. Services roles are not ideal for someone who is not interested in upselling or "schmoozing" with clients as this is expected of everyone. This is unfortunate as it can push away those who might be of great service otherwise.

Education Elements Response

Thank you for your feedback. I know many of us love working for a company that is, as you mention, mission-oriented and working towards something so important - how we can work with school systems to improve learning for students. I appreciate your advice. We will continue to be transparent and use our weekly Friday company meetings as a way to communicate; but will continue to look for other vehicles as well. I hope the new addition of both GSD Friday afternoons, as well as the Train Your Brain monthly afternoons, help to address some of the concerns about hours as well as the need for PD. Keep the ideas coming - we are listening and doing what we can to make it an even better place to work.

9. 5.0

Great Place to Work and Make a Difference

Dec 1, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Of all the start-ups and companies with whom I've work, Education Elements is one of the best. Not only is EE the national leader in this market, making a significant difference for our district partners, but EE is also a terrific place to work: employees are top notch, collaborative, supportive of one-another, and fun. Proud to be part of the change we are making!

Cons

Education Elements provides significant opportunities for professional development and for employees to seek out training and support. Employees are encouraged to take ownership for their own journey with the guidance from their team and manager. For people who need significant direction and hand-holding, EE may not be the right fit.

Education Elements Response

Thank you for your thoughtful response. We are hoping in the coming year to do more with company-wide professional development but I agree that much of the learning that happens here is, and will likely continue to be, self-directed. It is great to hear you speak so highly of the team. We strive to make this a great place by finding and investing in great people.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

A great place to work in EdTech

Dec 11, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

* The people. The delightfully quirky nature of each of my colleagues makes my day...every day. * The potential for growth and education. There's a lot of opportunity for cross-functional growth and education. I feel valued and invested in here. * The impact. Doesn't matter what team you're on or what role you have, there is an opportunity for your voice to be heard.

Cons

We work hard. We play hard, too...but if you're not willing to put in some elbow grease, this probably isn't a fit for you.

3 people found this review helpful