Education Elements Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Education Elements CEO & Founder Anthony Kim
Anthony Kim

1. "Dedicated people and fantastic culture in a mission-driven company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Education Elements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Education Elements is on a mission, and it feels like I'm an important part of that every single day. The company, both in business practice and culture is true to its promise, and is one of the few I've worked for that practice what it preaches. The variety of people working in an environment where your individualism is valued makes coming to work fun every single day. And seeing the work our clients do with our help sends me home fulfilled. The company preaches transformation and is always in the middle of transforming itself.

This is not a typical small tech company in culture or business. The people come from a variety of backgrounds, and the culture is made of of the collected stories of each of the people. The work is challenging, but leadership also works hard to make sure that people don't get burned out.

Cons

This is a small, rapidly growing company, with all the associated challenges. You are expected to rely on your own resourcefulness more than company resources, and expected to create what you need rather than have it handed to you.

There's little process and formality in any aspect of the business or its management. That's showing signs of change, but is has a way to go. The continuous transformation can be unsettling at times

Advice to Management

- Keep transforming. Stay true to how you practice what you preach.
    - Work to better integrate people who come from different backgrounds (professionally)

May 1, 2016

Thank you for your review! I agree we have work to do around systems and am very excited about the progress we have made as well as the work in front of us. Practicing what we preach is hard but ... More

"Fantastic culture; employees truly invested in impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Education Elements (Less than a year)

Pros

-With many former educators, the EE team is invested in authentic and scalable education impact.
    -Organizational model supports lots of independence and self-management, though teams are highly collaborative
    -Flexible PTO, work schedule and in-office work environment

Cons

-Being young(ish), company has yet to establish strong system of mentoring and professional development
    -At times, it doesn't feel like sufficient resources are dedicated to breakdowns in product. (Services are top quality, however.)

Advice to Management

-Continue to frequently share about direction of growth of the company. This transparency is crucial and appreciated.
    -Seek to better identify and meet employee PD needs.

Nov 24, 2015

Thanks for your review. It is great to hear all of the things about Ed Elements that get you excited. I also appreciate your feedback about professional development. In 2016 we have budgeted ... More

"Opportunity to do a lot if you want it"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Education Elements full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked as a sales rep and had a great time. Supportive team and no egos. Comp plans were fair and not a lot of going back and forth. Paid out on time.

Cons

Product and company evolving more quickly than materials. Need to spend more in marketing. Limited sales management opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing but think about how you will scale. Right now you rely on exceptional people.

"A smiley, friendly workplace with plans to make blending learning available for every child."

Former Contractor - QA Data Analyst in San Carlos, CA
    Former Contractor - QA Data Analyst in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Education Elements as a contractor

Pros

The people are fantastic - many of them ex-teachers with patience, grace, and a burning desire to improve American education offerings. Lots of women in senior positions who offer support and mentoring like I've never seen before.

Cons

As a start-up they are still working out some processes, but are growing rapidly, so that is to be expected.

Advice to Management

Keep on smiling and hiring smart, happy people.

5. "Innovative Company that Helps People and Ideas Grow"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

The company is not afraid to embrace change in order to better help the districts that we serve--whether that means adapting our product strategy, how we run meetings or how we create structures to help us collaborate across teams. This is also a place that allows individuals to grow as professionals by changing roles, taking on new responsibilities and learning in the process. Finally, our company is more focused on getting the work done as opposed to pushing new ideas through rigid or hierarchical structures.

Cons

Unlike some other companies and organizations, we do not have much in place in terms of regular feedback or evaluations for individuals. If you are a reflective individual or are not afraid to reach out to others to get feedback on your performance, this might now be a problem for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on raising transparency and awareness across the company. This something we have been working on and that has certainly improved. The more in tune we are with each other's work and the purpose of our respective work, the more effective we will be for our schools.

Aug 8, 2016

Thanks for the positive words and encouragement. I love that you recognize our willingness (and excitement) around adapting to meet the needs of our districts and our teams. It is really important ... More

"Overall great for anyone passionate about education!"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

- Surrounded by great people/ great culture
    - Impactful mission
    - Really makes me feel like I'm making a difference
    - A lot of opportunities to advance your career in any direction you like
    - I wake up excited to go to work

Cons

- General start up struggles
    - feels like ideas are executed through trial and error with no particular logic or reasoning -- still figuring out the what direction the company should go
    - pretty understaffed, forced to have more responsibilities

Apr 5, 2016

It's great to hear you enjoy working at Ed Elements and especially that you feel like you are making a difference (its not just a feeling - you are!). I love that you get up excited to go to work ... More

"Fun nerdy culture, employees with a passion for education"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

Work here contributes to helping kids learn, prepare for college, and learn to take a more active part in their own education.

A high portion of former teachers in the company gives it a nerdy, smart, friendly, and idealistic culture. Science jokes, game nights, 'Tie Tuesdays', animated discussions about psychology and education are all examples of this.

Still on the young / small side, people have a lot of opportunity to impact the company and the direction of its products and services. There are also a lot of opportunities to shift roles within the company as well.

People are also very willing to experience with different ways of working: different internal processes, different approaches to design or development, etc.

The company is also very flexible around hours and working from home a day or two a week.

Cons

Most of these are the cons you would find at any small company. Work requires a lot of self-motivation and direction, willingness to learn new skills and get out of your comfort zone (a pro for some, a con for some).

Since the company is small, opportunities for personal learning about, but internal opportunities for structured mentorship, networking, and professional develop are more limited than in a large company.

While there are a lot of wonderful opportunities to practice leadership, ownership, and responsibility, and having a big impact, there aren't any set career ladders / titles to aspire to.

Also, it is a growing company in a small, space so the office can get noisy. This is offset by the company being very flexible about working from home. Headphones recommended.

Advice to Management

Right now there are no structured review processes for employee performance. Autonomy is great, and most people here are intelligent and self-driven. However, even self-motivated people can benefit from regular course corrections as well as structured guidance, mentoring, and career planning.

Apr 5, 2016

Thank you so much for your review! I agree we have work to do to think about how to better support everyone's growth and we will continue to work towards finding more opportunities for mentorship ... More

"A great place to work in EdTech"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

* The people. The delightfully quirky nature of each of my colleagues makes my day...every day.
    * The potential for growth and education. There's a lot of opportunity for cross-functional growth and education. I feel valued and invested in here.
    * The impact. Doesn't matter what team you're on or what role you have, there is an opportunity for your voice to be heard.

Cons

We work hard. We play hard, too...but if you're not willing to put in some elbow grease, this probably isn't a fit for you.

"Great Place to Work and Make a Difference"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

Of all the start-ups and companies with whom I've work, Education Elements is one of the best. Not only is EE the national leader in this market, making a significant difference for our district partners, but EE is also a terrific place to work: employees are top notch, collaborative, supportive of one-another, and fun. Proud to be part of the change we are making!

Cons

Education Elements provides significant opportunities for professional development and for employees to seek out training and support. Employees are encouraged to take ownership for their own journey with the guidance from their team and manager. For people who need significant direction and hand-holding, EE may not be the right fit.

Advice to Management

Continue reflect on how we organize ourselves.

Dec 4, 2015

Thank you for your thoughtful response. We are hoping in the coming year to do more with company-wide professional development but I agree that much of the learning that happens here is, and will ... More

10. "Making a real impact in education"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunities
    Flexible working arrangements
    Smart, nice, passionate employees

Cons

Growth takes time---education customers do not have deep pockets

Advice to Management

Continue to establish brand in the market
    As FTE's increase, provide opps to break silos between teams

Nov 24, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I think we are working to find more opportunities to break up silos and ensure better cross-team communication. We would welcome any ideas you have ... More