Education Elements Reviews in San Carlos, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
Education Elements CEO & Founder Anthony Kim
Anthony Kim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Dedicated people and fantastic culture in a mission-driven company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Education Elements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Education Elements is on a mission, and it feels like I'm an important part of that every single day. The company, both in business practice and culture is true to its promise, and is one of the few I've worked for that practice what it preaches. The variety of people working in an environment where your individualism is valued makes coming to work fun every single day. And seeing the work our clients do with our help sends me home fulfilled. The company preaches transformation and is always in the middle of transforming itself.

This is not a typical small tech company in culture or business. The people come from a variety of backgrounds, and the culture is made of of the collected stories of each of the people. The work is challenging, but leadership also works hard to make sure that people don't get burned out.

Cons

This is a small, rapidly growing company, with all the associated challenges. You are expected to rely on your own resourcefulness more than company resources, and expected to create what you need rather than have it handed to you.

There's little process and formality in any aspect of the business or its management. That's showing signs of change, but is has a way to go. The continuous transformation can be unsettling at times

Advice to Management

- Keep transforming. Stay true to how you practice what you preach.
    - Work to better integrate people who come from different backgrounds (professionally)

May 1, 2016

Thank you for your review!

I agree we have work to do around systems and am very excited about the progress we have made as well as the work in front of us. Practicing what we preach is hard but... More

"Directionless, motivationless selfish environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Education Elements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Umm..... can not think of any. Except for may be they are close to Hiller museum food trucks. Get free food once a week.

Cons

If you are a tech person, this is not a place for you. Everyone here works in a constant fear and tries to do all tasks by themselves by working long hours. Why do they do that you ask? No trust in team. No trust on management. Well to be fair, leadership is weak. Have no sense of direction. Absolutely no focus on big picture. If you are person who is serious about your career, this is no place for you .

Aug 20, 2017

We are sorry to hear that you feel that way. We strive to make Ed Elements a place where people love what they do, trust each other, and work together to help us with our vision - to create dynamic... More

"anon."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Pros

The people! A collaborative culture, flexible working schedules, passionate about the work we do, sense of humor. Fun, relaxed working environment-- growth mindset

Cons

A startup, so not without hiccups. Many learning curves, but everyone willing to work through the challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture team members and provide structured time for professional growth/learning.

Apr 5, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I like that you focused on the growth mindset - we are definitely all learners here. It is great you also feel like while there are challenges we work... More

"Fantastic culture; employees truly invested in impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Education Elements (Less than a year)

Pros

-With many former educators, the EE team is invested in authentic and scalable education impact.
    -Organizational model supports lots of independence and self-management, though teams are highly collaborative
    -Flexible PTO, work schedule and in-office work environment

Cons

-Being young(ish), company has yet to establish strong system of mentoring and professional development
    -At times, it doesn't feel like sufficient resources are dedicated to breakdowns in product. (Services are top quality, however.)

Advice to Management

-Continue to frequently share about direction of growth of the company. This transparency is crucial and appreciated.
    -Seek to better identify and meet employee PD needs.

Nov 24, 2015

Thanks for your review. It is great to hear all of the things about Ed Elements that get you excited.

I also appreciate your feedback about professional development. In 2016 we have budgeted... More

"product potential but company poorly managed"

Former Employee - Product Implementation Consultant in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Product Implementation Consultant in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Education Elements full-time

Pros

The company attracts & recruits great people to join through their existing staff/networks. Opportunities exist to 'wear many hats' and to contribute to various core functions of the company.

Cons

Poor management and non-transparency creates a an often ambiguous environment to thrive. Lots of work and creative yield loss. Little support on the road for implementation support. Travel schedules aggressive.

Advice to Management

Tighten up product market fit. Implement proper product management. Fix management structure & comms.

Nov 24, 2015

Thank you for taking the time, even after leaving Ed Elements, to share your feedback. It helps us grow stronger.

We are hopeful some of the experimenting we are doing now with things like... More

"Great purpose, but needs to spend more time on efficiency and accurate first attempts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Pros

Really cares about their employees. Truly believe in the positive impact of the product. Friendly employees who will go out of their way to help you if you reach out to them.

Cons

The issues that come up with the product and the clients need to be addressed at the core. Processes need to be standardized, but the company is unwilling to spend the time or energy to do so because they are already looking ahead.

Advice to Management

It is important that the current clients feel as confident about the product as the company does, or the future will not be as bright as it looks. Slowing down and taking the time to fix current processes instead of trying to innovate new ones year after year will pay off in the long run.

"Great potential, certain issues to overcome"

I have been working at Education Elements full-time

Pros

Social impact, comp, benefits, great culture, wonderful co-workers

Cons

product needs strategic alignment, simpler implementation path

"Oversold on a product vision that has yet to be realized"

I worked at Education Elements full-time

Pros

I was lucky to work with many friendly coworkers in an environment where everyone is encouraged to contribute. Like many startups, all employees have the opportunity to try out different roles and "wear multiple hats."

Cons

I was not challenged by Education Elements. My skills flattened or regressed during my time here.

There is no sense of management urgency regarding planning or scheduling product improvements. There are frequent, chaotic fire-drills after the product has broken down. This results in 60-90 hour weeks becoming usual as all teams are running triage to catch up.

Advice to Management

Good product idea, but poor execution. If management focused on fixing the current product before building new features the company would see more growth. There are no people with education or SaaS experience on the board, executive staff, or director level positions. Hiring people with these backgrounds is critical for a SaaS product in the education space.

"Fun company to work in"

Current Employee - D&I in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - D&I in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Education Elements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good paid
    - Fun place to work in
    - People smile a lot

Cons

- Still need to grow more
    - Need to do better on deciding the trend of the product and also the market

"A smiley, friendly workplace with plans to make blending learning available for every child."

Former Contractor - QA Data Analyst in San Carlos, CA
    Former Contractor - QA Data Analyst in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Education Elements as a contractor

Pros

The people are fantastic - many of them ex-teachers with patience, grace, and a burning desire to improve American education offerings. Lots of women in senior positions who offer support and mentoring like I've never seen before.

Cons

As a start-up they are still working out some processes, but are growing rapidly, so that is to be expected.

Advice to Management

Keep on smiling and hiring smart, happy people.