Education Inc. Reviews

• Part-time
2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kenneth Munies

1. "Maria Ferrari Children's Hospital Academic Tutor"

Former Employee - Westchester Medical Center Multi-Subject Tutor in Ossining, NY

I worked at Education Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

There was great flexibility in the scheduling of clients.

Cons

There was a lack of advancement opportunities, sub-par per hourly rate, and extremely limited hours available as a part-time teacher.

2. "Director"

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time

Pros

-Opportunity for job growth with a lot of hard work and progressive thinking -Company is always looking to improve -Does great work for kids, families, hospitals, etc. -Comprehensive hiring process, colleagues are very invested

Cons

-Policies change quite a bit, which can be difficult for some to deal with -More structure with performance evaluation and review -A more detailed explanation of the hiring process and purpose can be shared earlier on

Advice to Management

Continue to build on the fundamental structure of the company as the growth continues.

3. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time

Pros

The people who are really passionate about the company and commit themselves really make up a great team of co workers to work with. I have been with EI for over two years, and it has been a really good experience so far. I have had opportunities to try different avenues of the company and have explored the different roles that EI has to offer. I have learned more in the two years here at EI than I would have at another job.

Cons

The rate of pay was frustrating in the beginning since you feel like you work harder than the salary that you are getting paid. It takes a while for most to receive a raise. Also, there is not enough time off for the corporate employees. There are no benefits set up for the employees yet.

Advice to Management

The employees working at EI really care about our mission, make sure that they really feel that you care about them too.

Sep 28, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

We are thrilled to hear that you have had a very positive experience so far at EI! We are in agreement that the passion and teamwork of each individual is how EI can continue to grow and improve. We ... More

"If I could give less than one star, I would."

Former Employee - Teacher

Pros

The only good aspect of this job was my hospital setting. I loved the staff and students at the hospital and felt like I was a part of their family. They rallied for me when I felt like giving up, and supported me when I needed it. EI did NOT do that. Ever. Not once.

Cons

This was the absolute worst company I have ever worked for. I quit this position after almost two years and it has taken me a few months to think of exactly what I want to say in this review. It is clear: EI is a company who solely wants to make money off of sick children. They do not care about the teachers, the sites, or the students. One memory that sticks out in my mind is when we lost a student to cancer. The student had actually died and when I asked if we had sent flowers to the family, they said no and remarked on what a shame it was that we could no longer bill for that student. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? It was in that moment that I knew I was working for MONSTERS. They also pay their hard working teachers pennies. I would have to work over nine hours a day, and still not be able to afford lunch that day. There were always promises of "stepping up to A player" (which included a raise), but they would find every reason in the book to hold it from you, especially if they didn't like you. (If you weren't "clicky" with your managers, forget about ever moving up in the company!) I have recently accepted a very similar position and have doubled my salary. DOUBLED!! They offered terrible benefits, promised vacation time that you were never allowed to use, put your life in danger by forcing you to drive to sites during snow emergencies, and made you feel like you were the problem when a district refused to pay for a service that no one should be paying for. The commit copyright fraud on the regular and utilize bribes to try to secure hospital sites. PLEASE be WARNED that they prey on new college grads who don't know any better. Less than $15/hr is not what a licensed, full time SPED teacher in Massachusetts should be making.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? I just really hope you are reading these GlassDoor reviews. Something needs to change, and I can tell you that it doesn't need to change within the teachers you hire. Stop being the money-hungry FOR PROFIT company that you have become and get back to caring about the SICK CHILDREN who need our help.

Sep 28, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

First, we are glad that you took the time to leave a review for our company. It saddens us greatly that you did not have a good experience while you were with us. We are a for profit company that ... More

"I wish I would have read glassdoor before working here..."

Former Employee - Teacher in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teachers who work for EI really care about the kids, they make a difference in these children's lives. The CEO used to care too when he was a teacher but that has changed.

Cons

Education Inc. is by far the worst company I have ever worked for in my 10+ years of experience. The highest levels of management are disconnected and inexperienced. Middle management is full of people who have no skills but aer in positions of power. And the teachers are treated like replaceable commodities. The best teachers all quit or were fired (at least 30 ppl fired in the last year or two). No retirement plan, no raises (and if there is a raise, it goes to the person who is OK with working 70+ hour weeks, travelling all over the country with no notice and being paid under 35K) and no ways to improve yourself professionally. No culture, no friendliness, no camaraderie. Leaving Education Inc. was the best decision I ever made. Don't work here. Even if you are desperate for a job, go nanny or waitress, the interview process alone will take up weeks of your time.

Advice to Management

Close the company before a former employee sues.

Sep 28, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

We first would like to thank you for devoting a year of your time to our amazing students. Our company would not be successful without dedicated educators who care for these students as much as you ... More

7. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Educator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Educator in Boston, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First off, I read the reviews below prior to working at Ed Inc and I still decided to give them a shot. I figured you're always going to have unhappy people that leave companies so I didn't worry too much about them. I will say that Ed Inc is not perfect but I enjoyed my time there. I loved my students and my commitment to the company's mission. Despite other prior reviews, I felt very supported by staff while I was alone in my hospital unit. It allowed me to really take control of my unit and feel proud about the work I did. I loved the people I worked with and the hospital staff was incredible.

Cons

Can be long hours and stressful days. Hard to balance the education piece with the pressure for billable hours. I understand how the company operates but it was difficult some days when things are out of your control. I was made aware of this during my interview process but it seems like there isn't a great balance between those two pieces. The compensation is average but doesn't always match up with the amount of work you put in.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to bridge the gap between quality education and revenue generation. Raises should be more easily assessable for hard working staff.

"Home tutor"

I have been working at Education Inc. part-time

Pros

The job description itself is versatile enough as a good resume builder. I can't really think of much else that is positive about this company.

Cons

The company doesn't care about their employees; they use you and others to get their $$. They throw you into situations that usually require some form of training, dealing with students with a variety of issues in their own homes. The company never checks in to where they are sending you. On top of it, the pay is so low it's like working for peanuts. Gas reimbursement over 40 miles..... do you realize how far 40 miles is? There have been times that I've unexpectedly been given subjects that I don't know with the student (ex: the teacher sends home different subjects than what I've signed up for). Advice from management was to do my best with it. Advertising us as rich educators on their website and charging the our tax dollars prime price for people who don't know what they're doing is pretty bad, if you ask me.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees and stop treating them as disposable. Maybe, In Return, you'll get quality work out of us. I'm sure many of us don't care to do a good job because there's no reward in it.

"Only worried about their money"

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students I taught, met, and bonded with were very special. I still remember each and everyone and have good memories to go with every hospital I taught in and visited!

Cons

Well I worked for EI for about a year before I saw the real side of its management. I loved it in the beginning and now looking back that had nothing to do with EI it was all because of my direct supervisor. She made my experience amazing, she did her job but also built relationships with her employees. She told them the TRUTH never fabricated anything. I then began traveling and helping out other divisions which then made my direct supervisor turn to someone else who was a complete fake, and money driven former educator. She didn't care if she spent hundreds on rental cars, hotels, plane tickets, dinners etc. (Which came out of our funds for bonuses not hers of course just us teachers in that division) as long as she was having a good time that's all that matter. She made promises to me and other employees that quickly fell through. I didn't fit her circle of friends because I didn't take weekend trips on the companies credit card when I traveled and I didn't go out every night while I traveled so I wasn't one of her buddies who now is making a lot more than most teachers on staff at EI and is seen as an A player. I was ranked an A player and recruiting for the team however wasn't good enough for raise, or lead teacher. I would never recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a position with growth and real true believers not money makers.

Advice to Management

Go through your current upper management of teachers and watch their spending in compared to the reality of it when they travel. Look at who they are recommending for promotions and raises are they the people putting in the "real" work or are they the ones taking the credit for it? Look at the number of teachers who left when good supervisors leave and look at the number who left under the current higher supervisors, within my year there in one division five teachers left the same division within six months, there is a reason for that and its not that getting a job as a teacher is easy because it's not.

Sep 21, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We’re glad to hear you had such a great experience with our students. We agree, each and every student is memorable and ... More

"Unfulfilling"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The student population Ed. Inc. serves are often lively and challenging, and an enjoyable group to work with in an non-traditional setting.

Cons

The company is incredibly inconsistent and unprofessional with their dealings with students, schools, and their own employees. A teacher may be sent to a different sight with little notice and the company struggles to cover for absent teachers or those who have left. Each student feels as though there is a dollar sign put over their head.

Advice to Management

Separate teacher roles from business. Teachers want to teach. Division of roles and more open discussion will help reduce the unacceptable turnover rate. The score card system is also demeaning rather than inspiring, as it is meant to be.

"Dont get fooled."

Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ

Pros

The hospital was great. Loved the hospital staff. If you do your job well kids will learn from you. Gave me a chance.

Cons

Where to start. First off I thank EI for giving me a chance. It started out great. Oh waited after being hired and my 3 day on the job my trainer decided to air her dirty laundry about former and current employees. Of course you should expect to be talk about behind your back. Not by co-workers but upper management. Work: I think they care about the kids but they care more about money. I was told multiple time to bill for snow days. Also you becomes a sales person and your job is not only to teach but negotiating rates. Im a teacher not a sales rep. My favorite part of the job is how it is our fault if we dont reach billable hours. Even if our census is low or kids are sick we are expected to fill our hours and if you dont fill your hours you wont get a raise and you wont be a A Player. One week i had double my billable hours and i was a hero, next week a bunch of kids get discharged and now i need to improve in my job. What changed. The money i was bringing in. A coworker and I use to joke saying do they expect us to drive around Camden and pick kids off the street so we can reach pur billable hours. Like i said hospital staff loved me, said i was one of their best teacher but upper management never liked me. I didnt take on multiple projects, i took days off during hurricane sandy, and and i only said to 430 and not 530. I was told i was not a team player because i said they should offer us medical benefits. When i finally told them i was leaving the hospital manager told me they would speak with my bosses and demand benefits and a raise for me. And they said i was a bad employee. Turnover was so quick they had to make first year employees managers. I would still be there if it was for upper management because i loved where i worked.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We are on the grind each day and we know what to do. Worry about the kids more and less about the money.

Sep 21, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

We genuinely appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. First and foremost, we truly do care about the students and always strive to put them first. We provide educational services to all ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed