Education Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Kenneth Munies

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Education, Inc."

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time

Pros

Company has a great cause and message. They are working to make it a better place for their employees.

Cons

They have a long way to go, low wages, cliquey culture, and lack of communication are some of the main issues that plauge this company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, make them feel valued, and communicate to the effectively.

"great people, terrible upper management"

Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Worcester, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to help children at a difficult time in their life. Morning and Afternoon briefings with team and team leader create positive uplifting feeling.

Cons

I was brought into a short term CBAT unit where the children stayed at group home during morning and night. They came to my building for school/fun time/movies/doctor appointments/therapy 5 hours a day. Students were often taken from scheduled learning time to doctor visits since he was only there a certain small amount of time each day. EI upper management were not happy with lost billed time and requested I speak with doctors about not scheduling therapy/doctor visits during billable hours. I explained the primary goal of being in the CBAT unit was to aid children in processing their emotional needs and I thought that should come over everything else including billable hours. When EI demanded my resignation over lost billable hours I realized this company doesn't care about children, they care about profits. I was asked to leave the company and agreed based on moral reasons. I was given a very fair severance package from the company.

Advice to Management

Put teachers in charge of paperwork related to teaching. Set up a system where finance people are in charge of billing and calling school systems. This way teachers can concentrate on helping their students and financial people can concentrate on finances.

"Don't Drink the Koolaid"

Former Employee - Intel in Plymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Intel in Plymouth, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Essentially a cult that has no loyalty to employees.

"Executive Staffer"

Former Employee - Executive Staffer in Plymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Staffer in Plymouth, MA

Pros

The company has a good cause.

Cons

Low salary for hrs worked / week. No life/work balance. Competitive working environment.

Advice to Management

Create more free time / balance for your employees and they will perform better and actually like to work there.

"Could have been so great..."

I worked at Education Inc. full-time

Pros

I loved my students, hospital staff, co-teachers, and working with such a diverse population. There was quite a bit of freedom to teacher whatever you wanted, but that could sometimes cause issues with school districts or students who were there for an extended treatment.

Cons

Upper management was pretty terrible. The first few years were OK, but then the company began bringing in new managers from outside of EI that were too focused on the business aspect of the job. It was all about getting your hours in and increasing revenue, not teaching and helping students during a difficult time in their lives. Also, I watched my co-teachers quit every year. Without fail, we needed to hire a completely new team, then train them, all while beginning the school year and trying to take care of all of the paperwork that comes with working in a hospital. The teachers were just not well cared for, and because of that, EI lost many amazing teachers.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers what they deserve!

"Positive Reviews are FAKE - BEWARE"

Pros

Nothing at all. I am livid to see that nothing has changed in this company. I FIRMLY believe that the BBB should investigate, as should the State Department of Education.

Cons

Just a warning, the positive reviews on here are created by the admins in the Home Office. I was even told this by a manager.

Advice to Management

Stop screwing your teachers. Nothing has changed, clearly, by reading the recent reviews.

"Not worth the disappointment"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

The satisfaction you gain from working with the students is priceless. Nice team of teachers with which to work. Convenient locations, and management is willing to allow for relocation if necessary. There is a lot of freedom in lesson plans, topics, and activities done with the students. The beauty of it is that you leave work everyday and can focus on simply living. No necessary lesson planning, grading, or parent conferences happens!

Cons

The pay is embarrassing with very little chance to increase. Teachers with a masters degree are not offered a higher salary. Raises are only given if you are willing to take on more work that will take you out of the classroom. There is always a huge turnover rate amongst management and teachers, which requires new hiring every school year. If you are lucky enough to be placed in a northern site, you will be supported and trained very well. Lower region states (Southern New Jersey, Delaware, PA, and South Carolina) are the "forgotten states" that are offered much less support, supplies, training, etc. They require you to have a teaching certificate, but don't offer any insight into how you must keep it. One teacher I knew had to stop teaching and move on to an Intel job because they didn't help her keep her license. A large portion of the day is spent on calls, admin tasks, and doing work that teachers shouldn't have to do. There is no consistency in positions, staffing, classes, etc. One day, you could have an Intel support member making your calls until they get annoyed with how much work they do, then it gets pushed back onto you. Finally, this is a dead-end job...no growth, no teacher appreciation, and no steady work processes. I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Treat your teachers like they are the most important part of the company. Raise the salaries to reflect local districts, and allow for annual raises for those that stay with you. Hire individuals to just do your admin tasks, because teachers should only be focused on teaching, lesson planning, and PD. Off more support to new hires instead of just throwing them into a job for another teacher to train. Maybe pay your upper management people a little less and spend more money on classroom necessities and teacher bonuses. Seriously, what is a Chief Talent Officer needed for anyway?

"A Place for Growth"

Current Employee - Assistant Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time

Pros

I have been working with ei for nearly 4 years. Like any job, there have been ups and downs, however, I honestly love my position and the team that I work with.

I have been given the opportunity to advance professionally in ways I never thought imaginable. I was hired as a FT teacher and have moved through various titles (lead teacher, team leader, and now assistant director).

I have learned so much during these 4 years and have been able to step into roles dealing with human resources, recruitment, training/coaching, finances, and others.

It has also been really great to see and help others on my team advance their own careers within ei. I have been able to be a part of promoting them with new titles and/or increased compensation.

It really has been a great journey so far and I am excited to see what other opportunities will be available to me as I continue growing within ei.

Cons

There is a disconnect with higher level management in ei, however, having divisional directors bridge the gap makes this less of a con.

"Great supplementary job"

Current Employee - Tutor in Marshfield, MA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Marshfield, MA

I have been working at Education Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

- You get to be your own boss in a sense - create your own lesson plans.
    - Very rewarding when you find out the students you are helping are making great improvements in class
    - flexible scheduling

Cons

- It is hard to get by if this is your only source of income
    - You have to spend a lot of time doing things like sending emails to teachers, parents, schools and the company outside of paying hours.

Advice to Management

I don't really have much advice I would give to management. I would suggest a little more compensation for gas since a lot of driving is involved. I would also suggest more feedback from the company on how employee's work is going.

"Maria Ferrari Children's Hospital Academic Tutor"

Former Employee - Westchester Medical Center Multi-Subject Tutor in Ossining, NY

I worked at Education Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

There was great flexibility in the scheduling of clients.

Cons

There was a lack of advancement opportunities, sub-par per hourly rate, and extremely limited hours available as a part-time teacher.