Education Inc. Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kenneth Munies

"Good In-Between Position"

Former Employee - Teacher in Plymouth, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are all good people. Everyone is really nice and supportive to help you out.
    Working with students in a behavioral health hospital is rewarding and challenging but I've had some great experiences working with students. You get experience with students that you normally don't get to work with and it's not a bad place as an in-between college and starting your career as a teacher.

If you're good at time management, you can easily not have to bring any work home with you (usually) and can get most of your daily tasks done. There are some days when you feel overwhelmed but that's any job. If you are desperate for teaching experience and have the back bone to deal with some difficult kids, do it.

Cons

Pay is non-competitive and you work all year round. You get like 22 days off for sick/personal/vacation but working through snow days and winter/summer break isn't ideal. There's a rigorous hiring process too. Length spent on administrative tasks outweigh the length spent on actual teaching. Having to read books about business (as a teacher) because your CEO read them at some point is annoying. On your monthly self-evaluation you actually have a category based on reading the books the CEO has read as part of your "growth" and monthly rating. They all want you to focus on your professional development and "growth" but basically it's just an excuse for you to do some more busy work. They love buzz words and doing daily check-in/check-out calls and e-mails and weekly unit calls.

It's a business, so as a teacher it's hard adjusting to keeping numbers and profits a priority above teaching kids. I always put the students first regardless. Everyone is overly nice since you talk to most of your colleagues via phone and e-mail, so it sometimes seem put-on and insincere (especially when you hear people be nice to someone on the phone and say something totally different once they hang up). That's life I guess.

If you want to move up in this company and get an actual decent salary you're going to have to do everything they company wants, say yes to things you might not want to do, and possibly brown nose a bit in order to get lead teacher/"A" Player/Team Leader/etc. If you want to teach, these are not the most enticing options.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers more and be more upfront about the teaching to administrative task ratio during the hiring process. Switch up lesson review system by either rotating more reviewers into the scheme or something else.

"I wish I would have read glassdoor before working here..."

Former Employee - Teacher in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teachers who work for EI really care about the kids, they make a difference in these children's lives. The CEO used to care too when he was a teacher but that has changed.

Cons

Education Inc. is by far the worst company I have ever worked for in my 10+ years of experience. The highest levels of management are disconnected and inexperienced. Middle management is full of people who have no skills but aer in positions of power. And the teachers are treated like replaceable commodities.

The best teachers all quit or were fired (at least 30 ppl fired in the last year or two). No retirement plan, no raises (and if there is a raise, it goes to the person who is OK with working 70+ hour weeks, travelling all over the country with no notice and being paid under 35K) and no ways to improve yourself professionally.

No culture, no friendliness, no camaraderie. Leaving Education Inc. was the best decision I ever made. Don't work here. Even if you are desperate for a job, go nanny or waitress, the interview process alone will take up weeks of your time.

Advice to Management

Close the company before a former employee sues.

Education Inc. Response

Sep 28, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

We first would like to thank you for devoting a year of your time to our amazing students. Our company would not be successful without dedicated educators who care for these students as much as you ... More

"Unfulfilling"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The student population Ed. Inc. serves are often lively and challenging, and an enjoyable group to work with in an non-traditional setting.

Cons

The company is incredibly inconsistent and unprofessional with their dealings with students, schools, and their own employees. A teacher may be sent to a different sight with little notice and the company struggles to cover for absent teachers or those who have left. Each student feels as though there is a dollar sign put over their head.

Advice to Management

Separate teacher roles from business. Teachers want to teach. Division of roles and more open discussion will help reduce the unacceptable turnover rate. The score card system is also demeaning rather than inspiring, as it is meant to be.

"Dont get fooled."

Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ

Pros

The hospital was great. Loved the hospital staff. If you do your job well kids will learn from you. Gave me a chance.

Cons

Where to start. First off I thank EI for giving me a chance. It started out great. Oh waited after being hired and my 3 day on the job my trainer decided to air her dirty laundry about former and current employees. Of course you should expect to be talk about behind your back. Not by co-workers but upper management.

Work:
    I think they care about the kids but they care more about money. I was told multiple time to bill for snow days. Also you becomes a sales person and your job is not only to teach but negotiating rates. Im a teacher not a sales rep. My favorite part of the job is how it is our fault if we dont reach billable hours. Even if our census is low or kids are sick we are expected to fill our hours and if you dont fill your hours you wont get a raise and you wont be a A Player. One week i had double my billable hours and i was a hero, next week a bunch of kids get discharged and now i need to improve in my job. What changed. The money i was bringing in. A coworker and I use to joke saying do they expect us to drive around Camden and pick kids off the street so we can reach pur billable hours. Like i said hospital staff loved me, said i was one of their best teacher but upper management never liked me. I didnt take on multiple projects, i took days off during hurricane sandy, and and i only said to 430 and not 530. I was told i was not a team player because i said they should offer us medical benefits. When i finally told them i was leaving the hospital manager told me they would speak with my bosses and demand benefits and a raise for me. And they said i was a bad employee. Turnover was so quick they had to make first year employees managers. I would still be there if it was for upper management because i loved where i worked.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We are on the grind each day and we know what to do. Worry about the kids more and less about the money.

Education Inc. Response

Sep 21, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

We genuinely appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. First and foremost, we truly do care about the students and always strive to put them first. We provide educational services to all ... More

6. "A Great Place to Learn and Grow"

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company that provides educational services to an under served population of students. It's a place where you can not only be creative but have opportunities for growth and challenge that you wouldn't necessarily have in a public school. There are so many ways you can explore your passion and truly make a difference in students' lives. Management is always willing to sit down with you and talk about different ways you can improve upon your skills and really wants to hear your new ideas, especially Ken, our CEO.

Cons

This is not a typical 9-5 job but you truly get out of it what you put in. It's also important to have a self care plan and know when to go home for the night and when to stay late and finish. This is something that new employees can struggle with however there is always someone willing to help with your time management struggles.

Advice to Management

Be open about what questions you have, new ideas, and your struggles. This is a very supportive company and wants to help fix any issues as soon as possible.

"Going forward with pros & never looking back"

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Education, Inc. was a unique experience, and one that I will never forget. I learned so much working with students and staff in a hospital setting. I absolutely loved my co-workers and continue to stay in touch with them. Education, Inc. does very fun and creative professional development days for the teaching staff. At these professional development days you will meet teachers across the division that you may not have met before and engage in conversation with them and the entire leadership team on lessons, culture, performance, what's going well/not going well, etc. This can be very beneficial for new and veteran teachers. Hopefully these happen more often throughout the year.

I have had some really happy and inspiring moments while working with the students and staff at the hospital I taught at. I will be forever grateful for those experiences.

In addition:
    -They are very generous in the amount of PTO they give
    -They reimburse you for any money you spent for teaching supplies/gas for traveling to locations other than your typical location

Cons

Point blank: Teaching is not the main focus at Education, Inc. It is a company, so this makes sense. It was a moral dilemma of mine however to work for a company that saw dollar signs on every student at each hospital we work in. When I applied to be a teacher I thought the idea of 4 hours of administrative time was really neat! I thought that I'd be talking on the phone, emailing, typing up reports, etc. I didn't realize that pretty much everything I'd do administratively would involve money and that through those phone calls and emails and such to the districts, I was responsible for helping the company accumulate that money. Maybe that was stupid of me? I guess I thought that someone else handled the financial stuff. I think that maybe that aspect can be explained better in the advertisement. I felt that the teachers are made to feel guilty when they haven't reached their goal tutoring hours (i.e. haven't accumulated enough money for the day according to EI's plan---which is all dependent on how many students there are and what school district they are enrolled with---not much the teacher can do to help that). I was asked sometimes, "Why is your census of students so low?" Gee, I don't know...maybe because there are some healthy kids in the world that don't need to be hospitalized?! Or, "why was your student pulled out of class? Your relationship with the staff/doctors should be stronger so that they aren't pulling students away on your time." REALLY?! The last time I checked we were at a hospital!!! While it's wonderful that these students are still able to get their education while hospitalized, MEDICAL ISSUES ARE A PRIORITY! SEEING THE DOCTOR & THEIR FAMILY IS A PRIORITY! If school was their top priority, they would still be in school and not at the hospital. I had a great relationship with my hospital staff, and would NEVER, EVER tell them not to take students out on my time. It's about the students & their health, THEN their education.

Performance is the main focus for this company. Unfortunately for EI, none of the teachers, except the ones that are trying to suck up to the higher ups so that they can get measly salary increases, care about the company's financial performance. People who went to school for BUSINESS care about this stuff. Education, Inc. needs to hire more business staff to take on the performance type tasks and let teachers actually be teachers...teach authentic lessons, create an intense curriculum, and maybe read some PD books for TEACHERS!!!!

In addition:
    -Compensation is not the greatest
    -No retirement benefits
    -Health benefits not great
    -Teachers will not get promotions or salary increases until they put an incredible amount of time into performance and/or recruitment/ become best friends with their boss
    -It's not a typical teaching position so you won't have summers off

Advice to Management

You are providing an incredible service to kids who wouldn't normally get it. You should be proud of that. But you should also be proud of your teachers and staff, because they are some of the only people doing what they're doing in the country. Many feel very under-appreciated. Listen to your teachers and staff. Get to know them. Visit them. Encourage them to talk to you about changes they'd like to see. Be open-minded. Pay them more. Give them reasons to stay.

If your teachers and staff aren't "true believers," no one using your services will be.

8. "Best Company to Work for in Hospital or Home bound Education!"

Current Employee - Hospital Teacher in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Hospital Teacher in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working for Education, Inc. I am a teacher with the company who has a lot of potential growth. After just one year I am already training for leadership and cannot be happier! I love being able to work with students in an alternative setting and I love the balance that I have between administrative work as well as teaching each day as well as life balance. They are so flexible with my hours when I need to leave early/come in late for appointments! I have had the opportunity to travel throughout the state of MA. If you ask, you will receive in this company! (Another HUGE PLUS: the 6 weeks paid time off to use at my convenience!)

My responsibilities include tutoring students with their own class work to ensure concepts are taught while they are out of school and in a hospital setting.

• Creating curriculum to be aligned with the Massachusetts Common Core State Standards.

• Making district calls to verify enrollment to set up hospital bound educational services and calls to schools to ask for school work from guidance counselors

• Working with Hospital Staff to ensure communication and treatment goals were worked on during tutoring.

• Working with students with varied behavioral and physical diagnoses including but not limited to; Mood Disorder NOS, Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Psychosis, Personality Disorders, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, students who were hard of hearing, as well as students with degenerative ocular diseases.

Cons

Not every position is for every person. If you are not a lover of admin, then this position may not be the one for you. Being held accountable for your own students, calling on schoolwork, and speaking with schools daily is something that I love, but again, not for everyone. Promotions are available to those who are willing to speak up and work for it! I know that I spoke up about my interests and have been heavily rewarded for that!

Advice to Management

I admire the CEO and every level of management from there down. These are people who are hard working individuals who put their clients and employees before themselves. They are the people who stay up late to take the extra phone calls and ensure continual growth each day from the company. I always say to people I meet; Education, Inc. has a definition in the dictionary. It is a commitment to continual growth and constant improvement. Every day I try to embody these core values and I see the same in all of the people I work with. Education, Inc. hires only the best!

"Ignorance is Bliss....."

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like working with students who have emotional and behavior disorders, this is the job for you!

Cons

Managers are not supportive of teachers. They are more concerned with making "True Believers" out of their clients (i.e. will not back up their teachers (their employees) and will side with the hospital). Very high stress job (I have been punched, slapped in the face, kicked in the stomach while pregnant--when I went to my company and hospital administration, there was no support and I was told to not get so close to the students (there was nothing done to the student, the parent wasn't even informed that the student kicked a pregnant woman), had scissors, desks, and chairs thrown at me, as well as spit on and cursed at). Asked to learn about recruitment (to hire new teachers) and was told no. Have to and use own money to pay for expenses and wait for money to be reimbursed. All upper management (until recently) are teachers that have no training in business management or employee management. Scorecards are supposed to be given to employees every quarter. I have been with the company for almost 1 and 1/2 years and only received one. Incentive program is available but not for all employees (you must be an "A" in being on your scorecard). Only way to move up is to be best friends with your boss. No retirement benefits or 401K. benefits are very expensive (around $275 per month for an individual). Others have posted that CEO has an open door (I have NEVER met him OR talked to him via phone or email). You have to sign a non-compete act stating that for 2 years after you leave the company you will not work for any other company or you yourself provide the same services they (Education, Inc.) provides for its students. Will promise promotions to employees, train them for said promotion, and then tell them there is no job for them.

Advice to Management

Train your managers (offer to pay for business management classes). Don't ask employees to write good reviews for you (it skews your results and paints a picture that is not true). Offer better compensation for teachers (we work VERY hard and deserve to get paid more per month).

"An Interesting Experience"

Former Employee - Hospital Teacher
    Former Employee - Hospital Teacher

I worked at Education Inc. full-time

Pros

The time that I had at Education, Inc. was mostly very positive. The hospital staff that I worked with were extremely supportive and I was able to create relationships with them that I know will last forever. The EI teachers are supportive and collaborative as well, so even though you are working in a remote location you are constantly in contact with other teachers in similar environments. In the classroom, I was constantly learning from my kids and the ability to create your own curriculum allows creativity you don't see in the public school. I am more confident in my ability to manage a classroom than ever and I know that this is because of my experiences with behavioral kids. Working at EI has allowed me to grow each and every day I am at the hospital as both an educator as well as a member of society. As a young teacher, it really opened my eyes to the truths of the world and I know that the experiences that I gained are going to last me a lifetime. Not only did I learn about teaching but about the business world as well. Even though the business side of the job was the least enjoyable part for me, I know that the lessons I learned are important.

Cons

The biggest issue that I had with Education, Inc. was the lack of value I felt as an employee. I would work 11+ hour days from the time that I started and never received more than a pat on the back for working hard. You are working in a very unique environment where you learn things about kids that you may never want to know and are teaching the kids who public school teachers don't want in their class but are compensated at an amount that is much less than what you would receive in a public school. The recruiters in the company commit themselves to finding the next A players, the best teachers out there, and they are able to do that but do not treat their employees in a way that keeps them around. Ultimately, it is the lack of value of teachers that turns employees away. There is also a HUGE push on making money, which is necessary to keep the company afloat, but it is often forgotten that the people who they hire to teach the kids are teachers first and care the most about the kids, not about the performance aspect. Make sure that you want to be on the phone a lot and constantly calling districts before you take the position.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind that great teachers you find and hire can ultimately find new employment if they really were that great and they will find new employment if they are never shown appreciation. As a company, EI is constantly working to show the hospital staff that they work with the appreciation that they have for them but this same value is not shown to the teachers. Be honest with recruitment and make sure that the candidates realize that teaching and planning is only a small part of their day and they will not be getting constant review of their teaching but of their ability to drive performance instead.

"Not worth the disappointment"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

The satisfaction you gain from working with the students is priceless. Nice team of teachers with which to work. Convenient locations, and management is willing to allow for relocation if necessary. There is a lot of freedom in lesson plans, topics, and activities done with the students. The beauty of it is that you leave work everyday and can focus on simply living. No necessary lesson planning, grading, or parent conferences happens!

Cons

The pay is embarrassing with very little chance to increase. Teachers with a masters degree are not offered a higher salary. Raises are only given if you are willing to take on more work that will take you out of the classroom. There is always a huge turnover rate amongst management and teachers, which requires new hiring every school year. If you are lucky enough to be placed in a northern site, you will be supported and trained very well. Lower region states (Southern New Jersey, Delaware, PA, and South Carolina) are the "forgotten states" that are offered much less support, supplies, training, etc. They require you to have a teaching certificate, but don't offer any insight into how you must keep it. One teacher I knew had to stop teaching and move on to an Intel job because they didn't help her keep her license. A large portion of the day is spent on calls, admin tasks, and doing work that teachers shouldn't have to do. There is no consistency in positions, staffing, classes, etc. One day, you could have an Intel support member making your calls until they get annoyed with how much work they do, then it gets pushed back onto you. Finally, this is a dead-end job...no growth, no teacher appreciation, and no steady work processes. I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Treat your teachers like they are the most important part of the company. Raise the salaries to reflect local districts, and allow for annual raises for those that stay with you. Hire individuals to just do your admin tasks, because teachers should only be focused on teaching, lesson planning, and PD. Off more support to new hires instead of just throwing them into a job for another teacher to train. Maybe pay your upper management people a little less and spend more money on classroom necessities and teacher bonuses. Seriously, what is a Chief Talent Officer needed for anyway?