Education Management Corporation Reviews in Arizona | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Education Management Corporation President & CEO Mark McEachen
Mark McEachen

Pros
  • Work/life balance could be better but they strive to balance employee's responsibilities (in 18 reviews)

• Worked with great people, who were very dedicated to students (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • No job security and poor communication within company (in 37 reviews)

• Does not really give a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

"It pays well, glorified call center work."

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-good pay
    -great benefits
    -good hours
    -if you like being on the phone all day and doing sales you'll be fine

Cons

-not about the students, ALL about the numbers
    -company has been struggling, though getting sold to not-for-profit by the end of summer
    -management is not the greatest
    -fear based style of management- "hit the numbers or your fired"

Advice to Management

-Drop the corporate lingo- if it's all about the numbers and making money then be honest about it instead of hiding behind "we're here for the students"
    -Invest in your employees- showing appreciation can help motivate instead of running on a fear based system

2. "Academics"

Current Employee - Academic Counselor in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Academic Counselor in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Average Pay
    Hopefully moving to Non Profit Status
    I love helping my students, and all that I do is for them.

Cons

No 401K, no raises, moved to Chandler so the commute is long, not sure I trust that management will not share confidential information.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be friends with your team. Some get to shoot Nerf guns all day and play, while others have to work hard to keep a job. Its not what you know, its who you do that may get promotions in some departments.

"Working hard to set the right example"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

EDMC's focus is to provide education to those who other Universities reject. The company focuses on working with students so they succeed and exceed what they thought possible. The work, especially as an Admissions Rep, is hard and repetitive; however the impact you make to the lives of your students is immeasurable. EDMC, although under misguided scrutiny like other education systems, has worked in conjunction with the DOE to show how education is done right. There is great pride in the work they have done. Benefits are good and affordable, includes 401k, medical and dental, paid short term leave, and education benefits to further your own education.

Cons

It is a highly scrutinized industry and highly regulated. Patience and persistence is a must, especially in Admissions. Career paths are fair, but it can top out at a certain level

Advice to Management

Keep up the good fight, but look to the hourly folks for input on how to keep the passion going.

5. "Enrollment"

Former Employee - Sales Enrollment in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Enrollment in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

The salary was above average and more than industry competition. I strongly do not recommend regardless of salary. Stay away if you can.

Cons

Bad management. It is a very scripted environment. The degrees are not regionally accredited but nationally accredited, which does not hold the same level of value compared to their competition. It's a tough sell and you don't feel good about asking students to sign up for their $90k bachelor programs. Very stressful.

Advice to Management

Micro management and unethical standards

6. "Outdated Corporate Mindset"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had decent benefits until they stopped 401k match and hiked cost of health insurance. Fine for an entry level person just looking for experience.

Cons

Horrible inexperienced management, EXTREMELY inefficient business processes, outdated corporate mindset that left management unwilling to learn from the past or take suggestions. There was an attitude that it's not employees place to think or make things better, just shut up and do the job.

Advice to Management

Shake it up. Try something new. Don't be jerks, there's nothing special about you just because you're in charge. Leadership is about people not perks.

"Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At EDMC, you will learn to operate with a sense of urgency and accuracy in checking to do items off a list. If you do not, you will be let go. Plain and simple, and I agree with this approach.

Cons

Once you get on the Directors bad side, there is no recovery. You will be walked out soon. If you do your job well and care about the students, that does not matter. The director does not like you. You can register a student for school and get a referral for another student as well, all in the same call. You will be walked out.

Advice to Management

Why? They aren't going to listen. I mean this is an Upper management team that honestly believes that the director who has fired everyone she did not like, has PTSD from having to let so many good people go. Are you serious? The director doesn't even have a degree and it's required for Admissions Representatives.

Advice to Management:
    Fire yourself. Now there is something truly in the direction of the students best interest.
    Stop treating your college-educated employees like children and disposable commodities.
    If you think they act like children, maybe it is due to your immature noncaring absent style of "parenting."

8. "Good people to work with"

Former Employee - Admissions Manager in Laveen, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Manager in Laveen, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

While there, I worked with some very strong leaders which made it very enjoyable to go to work.

Cons

Not a lot that I can write about other than advancement is a bit of a challenge.

9. "National Admissions Rep. 13.50/hour"

Former Employee - National Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - National Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

Pros

The pay is rather good for such a simple, repetitive task. There is a lot of schedule flexibility. My manager allowed me to work the oddest schedule because I was in school at the time. 15 hours a week spread randomly across 3 days. I was also able to do schoolwork at my cubicle desk while i worked. Additionally, the environment in which I worked was conducive to making friends.

Cons

You are working for a proprietary school. They preach altruism, but beneath it all you are helping a large corporation use the rhetoric of educational advocacy to take advantage of people who are nervous about their futures, unsure about what steps to take to better themselves and their lives, and who are thus vulnerable to such a scheme. The only reason a machine hasn't taken the National Admissions Representatives' jobs is because machines aren't capable of empathy.

Advice to Management

It's not as serious or prestigious a job as it is made out to be.
    A human needs a break from constant call taking. Allow at least 1-2 minutes between calls for workers to catch their breath.

10. "Work at company for many years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company offered Great benefit plans

Cons

Poor management and complaint resolution

Advice to Management

Learn compassion

11. "Academic Advisor"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient location near my home. Nice employees to work with. They loved their job helping students.

Cons

Mgt has too much nepotism. There were no opportunities for qualified employees.

Advice to Management

Sr Mgt were only concerned about themselves. No connection with the employees.