Education Management Corporation Faculty Reviews | Glassdoor

Education Management Corporation President & CEO Mark McEachen
Mark McEachen
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance could be better but they strive to balance employee's responsibilities (in 19 reviews)

• Worked with great people, who were very dedicated to students (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • no job security, no advancement (in 41 reviews)

• Does not really give a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

1. "faculty-full time"

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great students, exciting, stimulating atmosphere

Cons

I worked at the Art Institute as a full-time faculty for more than 10 years. I thought of myself as part of the 'team,' part of a 'family' striving to help students make something of their lives for themselves and their loved ones.

One day I received a call and was told that I was being terminated -- but I might be able to teach there as an adjunct teaching a couple classes (as opposed to a full load of 5 or six) for a third of the pay (& benefits) that I had been receiving.

I'd seen it before and said it before, this is the firing-est company I have ever seen. But for some reason -- maybe because of my position -- I didn't believe it would happen to me, that my position was protected. I believed that they had to have teachers. I was told I was a valued senior faculty member, I took part in committees and helped design several aspects of the curriculum. I was wrong.

This has been devastating. My wife is invalided. She is confined to a wheel chair and suffers from chronic pain; I've been depending on the health insurance. Now, unless I'm able to pull something out of ... I don't know where ... I am of an age that it is very difficult to find a new job. I face losing my home, I don't know how I'm going to care for my wife.

Advice to Management

show some loyalty

2. "Education Management"

Current Employee - Faculty in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Faculty in Pitts, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, lots of free time.

Cons

Management is often difficult to work with.

"Run faculty run...."

Former Employee - Faculty in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Faculty in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Most of the faculty and staff are great people. I have lifetime friends from teaching at a campus school.

Cons

All of the EDMC upper management, the administrative management MBAs posing as 'Deans' and School Presidents. Management through fear, threats and intimidation. Entirely negative work environments that demotivate employees. Also the EDMC management suffers from a total lack of ethics starting at the top and filtering down to the 'supervisory' level.

Advice to Management

Hire real academics to develop curriculum and run the schools if you'd like to be in business two years from now. No one working in the 100k+ range has any real higher education experience and none have ever taught in a real college classroom. When they manage to hire competent people, the new employees figure out what's happening and leave ASAP. This business exists to suck federal loan dollars and impoverish 'students' many of whom are wholly unprepared for any post-secondary education. No ethics in admissions, lying to kids, putting working class families 100k in debt for questionable 'degrees.' This place is an absolute mess; work there only as a last resort.

"Adjunct Faculty"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Orange, CA

Pros

Hardworking Students and Nice Co-Workers

Cons

5-week classes provided no value to students. The organization is not doing very well. I would not recommend working here at all. If you have a better opportunity you should pursue it.

Advice to Management

Be honest and transparent with your employees and staff.

5. "Adjunct Faculty"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I worked at Education Management Corporation part-time

Pros

Small classes. The opportunity to make great progress with many students that would not make it into more prestigious Universities. Every student has a chance to succeed! Very dedicated faculty and staff in some areas.

Cons

There is a set curriculum that is not high quality and does not incorporate or allow faculty input. Very poor pay, lower even than Community College pay and with no benefits at all. Classes frequently cancelled. Unethical practices that prioritize making money off of students at all costs.... Students are set up for failure in many ways... Faculty input is ignored....No chance for any raises or advancement...literally none, regardless of the quality of your work or the amount of years at the school. Evaluations are more like punitive treasure hunts trying to find any small error over a year rather than noticing the norm and strengths of the faculty. No in-class evaluations are done of faculty; just online.

Advice to Management

You don't lead this school with any business savvy or higher education savvy. So, what is your background?? Good business creates win wins, recognizes employees and pays them fairly, rewards loyalty, strives to improve, and serves a good purpose in society while making a profit from honesty work. None of these principles are being followed, and so it's definitely not a good business person at the helm. Higher Education promotes learning, role models professionalism, supports and promotes academic freedom and excellence. Again, there is no higher education expertise shown in this University where curriculum is so uncreative....you do not take the experience of the faculty and allow it to be incorporated, and money making is priority over learning. So, I have no clue who is at the top really and what their motivations are. Politicians? The pay for Adjunct Faculty is so low that it ends up less than $20,000 yr. even if you teach 3 courses per semester (considered full time at most Universities). Imagine living on that. Why would students be motivated to think education will get them more pay when their teacher makes so little? There are no benefits for Adjuncts and no raises. Pay has been lowered twice.....Regardless of your positive evaluations and great work, you receive nothing...no recognition and lower pay. What terrible practices. Shame on you to all managers and those at the top that buy into and benefit from this.

6. "Anti-education"

Former Employee - Faculty in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Faculty in Denver, CO

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

The students, faculty, and staff were generally wonderful people; go higher up the ladder and it would be hard to find a worse place to be an educator.

Cons

Management is the epitome of the Peter Principle. Want to make more money & have more power? Easy, just be ineffective and you'll rise through the ranks.

Advice to Management

Get out of the education business. Stop enrolling students into programs. Go into the fast food business where you'll do less harm.

"Take advantage of their employees"

Current Employee - Faculty
    Current Employee - Faculty

Pros

Working with students is always rewarding.

Cons

No raises in three years. Took away the 401k match. Health insurance is terrible. Company requires 30 hours on site for faculty as well as they must maintain their status as a working professional in their field. Companies ethics are some times questionable. Faculty are teaching classes for their bosses because they don't have enough time and not being compensated for the extra work.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly for the work that they do.

8. "Not a great place for Adjunct Professors!"

Former Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Education Management Corporation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I was given a lot of latitude in curriculum design. The pay was pretty good.

Cons

They were poorly managed. They had a lot of management turnover and very poor communication. If you were staff you were included in meetings, but adjuncts were left in the dark on policy, policy changes, processes, performance evaluation and schedule plans.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep professional instructors on staff you need a standard review process and a lot of training in intrinsic and extrinsic motivation of senior people.

"so sad"

Current Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Faculty in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Education Management Corporation as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

management doesn't get into your classes and allows you a great deal of freedom to teach and design your classes…but you also don't get rewarded for working hard and well

Cons

for profit school and makes decisions based on profits and not on good student results

Advice to Management

value your faculty more..focus on the students

10. "They are a self serving, backstabbing company only interested in their shareholders."

Current Employee - Fashion Design Faculty in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Fashion Design Faculty in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The students and the education that can be provided to them as nontraditional students.

Cons

They don't value their faculty, they are regularly removing benefits and services to the students, the admins and deans are spineless puppets, it is run like a corporation, not a higher education institution.

Advice to Management

Stop telling employees to function with high ethics while you continue to strip employees of value, curriculum leadership, security, budget, supplies, services, and dignity.