Education Management Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Education Management Corporation Reviews

Updated March 2, 2017

Pros
  • Work/life balance could be better but they strive to balance employee's responsibilities (in 18 reviews)

• Worked with great people, who were very dedicated to students (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • No job security and poor communication within company (in 38 reviews)

• Does not really give a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

"Unethical telemarketing to disinterested, unqualified & incapable"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Tampa, FL

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

a good fit if you are unethical, immoral and driven by selling impulse buys to unqualified candidates

Cons

extreme micromanagement; being chained to your phone telemarketing hundreds of calls per day to disinterested, unqualified sometimes homeless or deeply in debt prospects to sell them on applying to overpriced, substandard degree programs they will either not meet criteria for acceptance or never complete; if they do, they will be in financial turmoil with little job prospects available.

Advice to Management

Shut it down

2. "Marketing"

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

There are a lot of employees there that really care about what they do and how well they do it.

Cons

Severe micromanagement and managing by fear.

Advice to Management

Productivity is drastically reduced if EVERYTHING needs to be reviewed and approved by upper management in the Mktg. department. If people are hired based on their qualifications, they should not require micromanagement. If they do, they should not have been hired in the first place. Let people do their jobs.

3. "Asst Dir of Admissions"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

They never waste a dollar on an employee or benefit.

Cons

Too many to list. Obtain offer in writing with numbers.

Advice to Management

Spend money on technology and end the good ole boy and girl club.

5. "Good company making bad choices"

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Pool of highly skilled professionals reaching underserved cohorts and helping them to improve their quality of life; long history and impressive alumni

Cons

Chronic failure to understand the challenges from the ground up and shape strategic plans around the realities. Top-heavy management who has lost sight of the importance of a team. You can’t build a great company without being able to leverage a great team. You can leverage the talent if you don’t value and listen to the expertise they bring. If you have a great team, success will evolve.

Advice to Management

Talk to the folks in the classrooms and to others in that run successful for-profit institutions. Listen. Understand. Rebuild from the ground up. There is so much that is good. And so much that is so wrong.

6. "Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay. This only because EDMC has to over pay to keep its employees.

Cons

Top executives to managers. Pressure to enroll non qualified potential students. All branches of this for profit school only cares about putting students in class knowing theor chances to succeed are less than 5%.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be a manager. Most were promoted because they are friends of other managers.

7. "Terminated due to teach-out!"

Former Employee - Student Financial Services Advisor in Salina, KS
    Former Employee - Student Financial Services Advisor in Salina, KS

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my immediate supervisor.

Cons

Hated everything about working for a corporation. Rules constantly changed; I could never do my job accurately. Was ultimately terminated due to Brown Mackie College teach-out.

"Just don't"

Pros

They brought in good vendors for lunch.

Cons

Just check the news for their lawsuits on how they use predatory recruiting for veterans.

Couldn't get to know anyone because of mass firings and layoffs.

"Absolutely the WORST place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very few. Eventually, as an employee, you WILL be let go. Nobody is immune. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Cons

Never knowing when your job will be cut. And then, once it is cut, not knowing what is going on. Today, for example, when I had some questions for HR about severance and COBRA, the HR person told me the wildest tale about how COBRA works. Essentially, he said, a person only pays COBRA premiums whenever he or she requires health care after leaving the company. This is absolutely NOT TRUE as I have used COBRA in years past when laid off from other companies. I contacted the Department of Labor to ask about this, and the man said of the HR representative that he was "grossly uninformed" about COBRA. Why on earth would EDMC hire anyone who has such a poor grasp of HR policies and the ERISA laws? Is it yet another ploy by this completely egregious company to rip off its employees in some way? I can't get away from this company fast enough!

Advice to Management

Please, just close your doors. Stop the bleed. Enough already!

10. "Systems Analyst (ServiceNow)/Change Management Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst/Change Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst/Change Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have gained a lot of experience with new tools that will help me in the future.

Cons

The work environment is not a good one, very catty/high schooly atmosphere.

Advice to Management

As always you should treat your employees better. The better you treat them the more youll get out of them, pretty standard but this somehow got lost at this company.

11. "Admissions Representative"

Current Employee - Senior Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive wages and holiday compensation. Positive training (unfortunately doesn't continue into the job),

Cons

No feeling of security. People can and DO get "walked out" on a regular basis. One mistake can be all it takes! Worse yet, depending on how the "powers that be" - view you, there may be carefully laid land mines to put your job in jeopardy.
    Extremely High Turn-Over
    Low Employee Morale
    Constant change - sometimes for "change sake" - other times to react to legal issues that they seem to get themselves into.
    Highly Regulated