Education Management Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Education Management Corporation Reviews

Updated October 27, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance could be better but they strive to balance employee's responsibilities (in 19 reviews)

• Worked with great people, who were very dedicated to students (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • No job security and poor communication within company (in 40 reviews)

• Does not really give a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

1. "Admission Advisor"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Berwyn, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Berwyn, IL

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay pay was great and staff was very nice.

Cons

Management has very poor people skills and lacked professionalism.

Advice to Management

The company Is desperate need of new management. Training Is needed and threatening employees is unacceptable and employees shouldn't have to work in such hostile enviorments.

2. "National Admissions Rep. 13.50/hour"

Former Employee - National Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - National Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

Pros

The pay is rather good for such a simple, repetitive task. There is a lot of schedule flexibility. My manager allowed me to work the oddest schedule because I was in school at the time. 15 hours a week spread randomly across 3 days. I was also able to do schoolwork at my cubicle desk while i worked. Additionally, the environment in which I worked was conducive to making friends.

Cons

You are working for a proprietary school. They preach altruism, but beneath it all you are helping a large corporation use the rhetoric of educational advocacy to take advantage of people who are nervous about their futures, unsure about what steps to take to better themselves and their lives, and who are thus vulnerable to such a scheme. The only reason a machine hasn't taken the National Admissions Representatives' jobs is because machines aren't capable of empathy.

Advice to Management

It's not as serious or prestigious a job as it is made out to be.
    A human needs a break from constant call taking. Allow at least 1-2 minutes between calls for workers to catch their breath.

3. "Work at company for many years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company offered Great benefit plans

Cons

Poor management and complaint resolution

Advice to Management

Learn compassion

4. "Student Worker - Not Faculty Filler"

Pros

- Work on the campus I attend for studies.
    - Lenient hours.
    - Better able to understand the position the campus is in, and able to clearly communicate that to my peers to prevent misunderstandings.
    - More influence as a student in getting feedback and issues properly addressed.

Cons

- Fulfill the responsibilities of previous higher-paid, full-time faculty.
    - Management is located in Pittsburgh, and handle affairs from HQ only accounting for objective statistics. A former faculty member had assumed the responsibility of managing the Technology Center, all MFA Bachelor program students, taught full-time, and organized portfolio showcase for our students. This included maintaining positive relationships with local businesses. He was let go, and his responsibilities were distributed at random to existing positions, including students workers who should not be expected to fulfill them.
    - Minimum wage with no negotiation or "moving up".
    - EDMC insisted we use existing software for reservations, when that feature is not functioning. One of our programming students created an entire reservation system to properly manage equipment circulation.

Advice to Management

My immediate boss is wonderful and accommodating. My issue lies with HQ in Pittsburgh. Stop handling faculty decisions remotely, if you are not in the area and have no perspective of local job opportunities/businesses, then laying off the only people on the campus that have experience in those businesses can do serious harm in preparing your students. Stop cycling ADA's (Assistant Directors of Admission) month by month. If they do not know how the campus functions, what class content actually consists of, or what the Technology Center actually does, and if there is no training for them, then at least let them have a little bit more time before firing them for performance. The most successful ADA's are the ones that are lying or overselling.
    Allow more opportunities for student workers to work their way up. Many of them create the school's culture, and manage all of the events.
    Also, pay your instructors for hours they spend creating class content, grading, and tutoring. The time that class is in session is not all that goes into teaching a class. Many instructors have to FIGHT to include industry standards in their curriculum, and others are simply given the syllabus from the previous instructor who was just laid off and have to roll with it.

5. "System Analyst"

Pros

Small team size that are collocated.

Cons

Teams do not collaborate

6. "Working for EDMC"

Pros

Competitive Salary with some advancement potential

Cons

Emphasis upon teaching and thus graduate faculty are teaching 16 courses a year

Advice to Management

Company's turmoil creates too much instability for staff and faculty

7. "High School Representative"

Pros

flexible schedule, ability to work from home office

Cons

no job security, no advancement

8. "Academic Advisor"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient location near my home. Nice employees to work with. They loved their job helping students.

Cons

Mgt has too much nepotism. There were no opportunities for qualified employees.

Advice to Management

Sr Mgt were only concerned about themselves. No connection with the employees.

9. "Outlook cloudy"

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time

Pros

ability to choose how to meet course objectives

Cons

poor strategic planning, constant state of panic, etc.

Advice to Management

Try to plan for more than the current day. Make decisions that will be helpful in long term.

10. "Great employees, horrible corporate management."

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees, staff and students. Great facilities and locations.

Cons

Blundering idiots at the corporate level. A complete disconnect between the corporate decisions and the actual consequences to the staff, faculty and students.