Education Management Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Education Management Corporation Reviews

Updated May 5, 2017

Pros
  • Work/life balance could be better but they strive to balance employee's responsibilities (in 18 reviews)

• Worked with great people, who were very dedicated to students (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • No job security and poor communication within company (in 37 reviews)

• Does not really give a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

1. "Good Starting Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Working at EDMC is a good starting point for any student who is majoring in advertising, marketing or public relations. With so many schools that they manage, the PR departments pertaining to the different schools really focus their attention on structuring as many press releases and mentions as possible through building connections within the various industries that the colleges offer majors in. During my time there was a lot to learn and fortunately I had a great manager and assistant manager that taught me the necessary skills to produce great copy writing for press releases, social media and build connections within various industries.

Cons

The only cons I could think of would be that there was a lack in budgets for bringing in more employees to expand the team to assist with graphic designs for social media posts or flyers and event designs. There was also a lack in budget for social media advertising. With so many campuses and different private schools and so much money that the company has generated through the private tuitions, there was always the question as to why there was no budget for advertising to help the PR efforts into growing the database of student interest further.

Advice to Management

Provide your managers with proper budgets and tools to help them produce more results. With great managers, the corporation should bring in support with tools and a reasonable budget for further outreach

2. "Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will work with intelligent and educated people. You are in control of your own success and if you do your job correctly, you can sleep at night knowing you helped change someone's life for the better.

Cons

Every word that comes out of your mouth with a [potential] student on the phone could cost you your job if it is seen as misleading or seen as if you are promising or guaranteeing.
    Mind you, this is not necessarily the doing of EDMC, it is the governmental hatred of for profit education. You could be the sweetest most honest cheerleader for a student, in fact I had many, but because Pres. Obama is looking to shut down For Profits, you dont REALLY care about your student, you are a vile disgrace that should lose their job.

Advice to Management

Please, for the love of God, stop treating your adult college educated (and Graduated with a 4 year Bachelors Degree, unlike SOME EDMC Admissions Managers/Directors who think they are better than you) employees like children. This may come as a complete shock to you, but if you treat your employee like a business partner... ie tell them the WHYS and not just the MyWayOrTheHighway... They might actually buy into your vision instead of you having to adopt a me vs. them mentality nd look for reasons to fire them.

3. "Process Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people that care about doing a good job

Cons

Bad industry in that it does not provide a worthwhile service to society

5. "Great place to grow your wings"

Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in North Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in North Hollywood, CA

I worked at Education Management Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Departmentally, our leadership was strong in knowledge and training processes. It was a fun place to work, in the beginning. However, there were changes to campus employee gatherings due to changes in governmental and institutional policy which took away those fun events. That lowered morale somewhat.

It was a great place to work to learn the field - whichever department you worked in. No job is a complete joy and there was always drama somewhere. Whether it be with management, co-workers, or students/parents, it wasn't perfect. In fact, at times, it could be miserable. But, it was a good job and I learned a lot. I'm thankful for my time there. It was where I learned that I love working in higher education and I'm grateful to AI and EDMC for giving me the opportunity to discover my passion.

Do the work; keep your head down. Don't cause trouble and you will do just fine.

Cons

Departmentally, leadership showed favoritism based on ethic bias (my personal opinion). At times, very stressful and demanding. Expectations could be unrealistic given the constraints we were subject to. There was an underlying sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop because of the ED and state lawsuits. Worried that there would be layoffs, which came without any forewarning. This made it hard to remain focused. Some employees could be so negative that it made it uncomfortable. But, that can be the case at any job. The campus president (the last of 3 in the 3 years I was there) was, in my opinion, horrible and the beneficiary of nepotism. His management style was "boy's club" and if he didn't like someone, he didn't hide it very well. I did not enjoy being his employee.

Advice to Management

Value your employees for they do the grunt work and represent you on the field every day. Weekly stand up meetings with administration and staff should be used to build up employees. Take the time to recognize initiative and reward creative thinking. Employee retention is as important as student retention. Make your employees want to stay and work for management. Encourage management to reflect back to when they were not in management and see things from the employee's perspective. Pressure from above can create unrealistic expectations and the stress of that trickles down from Senior/corporate executive to campus management and to staff below can snowball. If campus administration lashes out at staff, you will see great turn over. Turn over makes students lose confident and it can have a major impact on retention. Happy employees = happy campus = happy students.

6. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

There were many really good people in management who wanted the best for the employees and truly wanted to turn the company around.

Cons

The company changed things way too often and didn't provide previous changes to even prove out to see if they were positive or negative for the company or that department.

Advice to Management

Take the time to meet with all impacted departments and thoroughly plan out changes, instead of rushing the changes expecting that to work when it has consistently proven not to in the past.

7. "High School Rep"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Salem, WI
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Salem, WI

I worked at Education Management Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers, fantastic colleagues, excellent work/life balance

Cons

Job security, gainful employment concerns

Advice to Management

Good luck

8. "what to say ..."

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company had potential and business leaders earnestly tried to improve fundamentals of the business. There existed pockets of good people to work with.

Cons

Large co culture made it difficult to get important work completed. Too many chefs in the kitchen. Too much influence centered in PGH.

Advice to Management

Should have recognized sooner the need to cut or moderate expenses. Find a way to somehow morph sooner into a non-public co so as to avoid undue scrutiny of fed gov.

"Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, co-workers are considerate and work well together. There's lots of opportunity to grow.

Cons

The struggles of the company make for a stressful environment. Few new employees are being brought in full-time.

Advice to Management

You can not run the company on a skeleton crew forever. But in my experience, management has been involved with and understanding of their employees. The state of the company is making it hard for everyone.

10. "Currculum Designer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palos Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palos Hills, IL

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supervisors have been great at this job. Career opportunities up until the last two years have been great.

Cons

The health care benefits and retirement packages are horrible.

Advice to Management

Better health care benefits and retirement packages are horrible

11. "Education Provider in Decline"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator III in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator III in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance and very flexible work from home opportunities in IT
    Salary for my position was always competitive or high end
    Jeans/business casual dress for datacenter employees

Cons

Frequent negative press about company/industry and litigation
    401k matching was reduced then eliminated
    High turnover among top leadership management positions
    Personal development and IT training budget was severely cut, making it hard to grow as an individual
    Not all positions have the same amount of growth/promotion opportunities

Advice to Management

You need to invest in your people - restore 401k matching to some extent ASAP and fund programs for staff to gain certifications or training.

More transparency of the company's long term direction with staff