Education Management Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Education Management Corporation Reviews

Updated July 8, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance could be better but they strive to balance employee's responsibilities (in 19 reviews)

• Worked with great people, who were very dedicated to students (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • No job security and poor communication within company (in 39 reviews)

• Does not really give a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

"Great employees, bad management"

Former Employee - Career Services in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Career Services in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The company is not profiting at the moment so there really are no pros.

Cons

Work-life balance is not great/flexible. Services provided by the company are not relevant in today's market.

Advice to Management

Need to restructure the service provided from ground up. Evaluate staff and processes from top down.

"Constant layoffs - no job security"

Former Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are great to work with

Cons

Constant changes - continued layoffs no job security - company in financial crisis.

Advice to Management

Communication needed desperately

"Overall review of a failing company"

Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Chandler, AZ

Pros

I worked at two of the school (Argosy and South online). The pros were good benefits and good co-workers

Cons

All that matters is persistence and percentages of students who stay in school. It's unfortunate that the goal of the company is quantity of students rather than quality of students/a quality educational experience.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing strong programs with a strong backing and then the students will come.

"Sales masked as bettering student lives"

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In terms of personal growth, this place challenged me in a lot of ways that shaped the success I'm having today. It wasn't always pretty - there were a few mass layoffs during my tenure, and there was a lot of pressure from upper management to hit your enrollment quotas. While I hated it at times, I look back at my EDMC experiences as positive for how they helped me grow stronger.

Prior to the legal trouble - the pay was insanely high, but ultimately unsustainable. Some Admissions Reps were making well above 6-figures for recruiting students. Once that bubble broke, salaries were still pretty good for starting out of school.

Cons

The public mission about changing student lives is all a front. The sole internal motivator is to get as much money as you can out of prospective students. Trainings and performance metrics are all numbers and revenue based. There was no performance metric related to student happiness/experience - just how many students you enrolled and how much money you made the company.

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was with the company for quite a while working for The Art Institutes. It used to be a great company to work for with very smart people, a good product and very ethical for the For-Profit world.

Cons

Everything went downhill when Goldman Sachs bought EDMC. New leadership was put in and the "Profit" part of For-Profit Education became more important than anything else. Admissions standards dropped and the important thing was getting people (whether they could afford to or not, whether they were even qualified or not, etc.) enrolled. Everything went downhill from there. Good people have left to do better things.

Advice to Management

Go back to what you used to be and I bet you will find profits returning again as well

"Once a great company, now in ruins."

Former Employee - Tutor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Education Management Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced. A lot of diversity at my particular site.

Cons

For-profit college's only want to admit students to meet a sales quota regardless of the student's talent and ability.

7. "Declining in morale, day by day,"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Giving students who might not otherwise be able to afford a traditional college the opportunity to earn a post-secondary degree is one of the best aspects of this job, despite the harsh light of Congress on for-profit schools within the last few years. Locally, the faculty that teach at the schools are giving 100% to student success.

Cons

Public perception and corporate management make the portfolio of schools under this company’s umbrella, uninviting places to work. Local faculty know better what works for their students but are consulted after the fact when policies are made, with little chance for change. E.g., Policies that might be appropriate for low-cost states in the heartland, may be impractical in coastal states with denser populations, but nonetheless, senior management aims to push the policies through nationally.

Advice to Management

Be upfront and non-obtuse with your correspondence to employees and they’ll appreciate you for it.

"Telemarketing"

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Bonded with many of my co-workers.

Cons

Felt like I was selling insurance half the time.

9. "Not a great working environment or experience"

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some people that were lovely to work with. Compensation could be very good, depending on your performance. Decent benefits as well, including health, vacation, etc. They did make an effort to train you prior to working in a fairly extensive training program.

Cons

No vision at all by leadership, which changed constantly. Not really the most professional environment I've been exposed to either; it was basically like being in college (most employees were right out of college and fraternized a lot).

Advice to Management

A work environment like this needs supportive, consistent leadership. I would consider working on that.

10. "Good experience just the company is doing awful right now"

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, use to be better before they got rid of the matrix that gave you commission, fun people to work with, solid benefits like 6% company match and health insurance.

Cons

Mandatory overtime if you are stuck on the phone with a student, 300 dial days, mass layoffs. There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time. The school just sold its Art Institute of Pittsburgh building for extra money and is leasing it out, not to mention its stock price has dropped a ton because of the recent government regulations. Also lots of lying to students to get them to enroll. I remember my manager once talking to a student and told him he understands the students situation because he himself has 2 kids, even though he had none. When I confronted him on it he called it "relating to the student."

Advice to Management

Get better people to run your company at the higher up level