Education Pioneers Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Tech Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

good experience overall in just 10 months

Cons

less money, work not always up to your expectations

2. "Education Pioneers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Education Pioneers part-time

Pros

The company has a good vision and mission. To help those who want to help others through education. Flexible work environment, good work from home and virtual meeting options.

Cons

Incredibly slow moving. Promotions were only given to the favorites, there was a deep culture of cronyism and nepotism. This led to the company missing their targets time and time again. There was a deep separation from senior management and directors who were struggling to keep the company running. Poor budgeting practices constantly left the company strapped. Constant excuses as to why they can't transition high-performing, part-time, employees to full-time roles. Even at the request of senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Stop flying people across the country for meetings that end up scheduling more meetings. Create actionable and meaningful targets, hire and promote the best person for the position, not someone who's a friend.

3. "Fellow"

Former Employee - Fellow in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Fellow in Potomac, MD

I worked at Education Pioneers (Less than a year)

Pros

Important mission and provides a great way to learn about challenges of the education sector.

Cons

Experience is very dependent upon placement.

"Summer Fellowship"

Former Employee - Consulting Fellow in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Consulting Fellow in Arlington, VA

I worked at Education Pioneers (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent partner organizations with nice projects

Cons

Worst matching process. Overfill the vacancies and then reject with no match after sending the offer.

Advice to Management

Please do not overadvertise the vacancies and never overfill them.

Education Pioneers Response

May 6, 2015 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello – thank you very much for your input on the matching process. We work very hard to balance the needs of our offer candidates and our partners. We are constantly working to improve our placement... More

"Good company with highly talented and knowledgeable people"

Former Employee - Summer Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Education Pioneers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great network of employees and partners
    innovation
    eye for social equality
    flexibility in location

Cons

for summer and full-time fellows, placement process might be a tough phase

Advice to Management

I think placement (matching) process could be more transparent

"Fellowship Process Needs Work"

Former Employee - Graduate School Fellowship in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Graduate School Fellowship in Washington, DC

Pros

Great at getting a lot of smart, passionate people in a room together to exchange ideas.
    They partner with a lot of high-impact education organizations, so many fellows have the opportunity to do very substantial work at well known organizations.

Cons

No transparency in the placement process.
    Not respectful of ideological/thought diversity, which is disappointing since they place such a major emphasis on diversity in general.
    Low and mid-level staff that fellows interact with day-to-day are very hit or miss. Some were amazing, some could not have cared less.
    Data is collected from fellows via non-anonymous surveys, so if you have anything other than a 100% positive experience, staff will call you to talk one-on-one and try to convince you otherwise.

Advice to Management

More transparency in the placement process.
    Stop hiring mediocre staff just because they are alums.
    Embrace the diversity of ideas and experiences that fellows bring to the table instead of trying to squash them all into your narrow definition of what reform should look like.

Education Pioneers Response

Apr 14, 2015 – Manager, External Relations

Thank you so much for participating in the Graduate School Fellowship. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our recruiting and placement process, as well as our focus on diversity and... More

"Analyst Fellow"

Current Employee - Analyst Fellow in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst Fellow in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Education Pioneers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The EP staff is incredibly nice, thoughtful, and supportive. The Analyst fellowship will give you access to a strong network of peers, as well as an association with EP, who is known for delivering top-notch analytic and management talent into Education organizations.

Cons

The "placement matching" is not a yet a perfected process, and while EP is extremely successful at finding talented analysts--they have not yet figured out how to make sure that each placement organization is ready for an EP fellow. Potential analysts should take as much control of the placement process as possible (i.e., if you like a particular organization, see if they'll partner with EP to become a placement org. If you have misgivings about the team and/or the work at a potential placement organization--make it known and work it out with EP.)

Advice to Management

Focus on making sure that the placement organizations are ready for an EP fellow (check their management skills, the data infrastructure) and/or find ways to help these placement organizations grow to become ready for an EP fellow. This will tremendously improve the accuracy of EP's placement process, and ensure that the maximum # of EP Analyst fellows will come out of the fellowship ecstatic, just as I did!

"A Culture-driven environment where staff are treated like family. EP genuinely cares about its staff!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Education Pioneers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-High-exposure to the ed-reform realm.
    -Great cast of staff that are driven to succeed in all aspects of their jobs.
    -Flexible working arrangements and schedules for all employees.
    -Great Performance Management infrastructure that allows for employees to drive their own professional growth.

Cons

The pace is incredibly fast and may be a potential sticking point to employees that are not accustomed to such a pace.

"Graduate Fellow"

Pros

Leadership and professional development

Cons

Pay in large cities is low

"Awesome Organization"

Pros

My time with Education Pioneers as an intern gave me a great professional foundation! I supported the team that managed the Graduate School Fellowship program and I felt like I was also a part of the fellowship program. Listening to the content, supporting the fellows and the facilitators was awesome. The office was also very peaceful and quiet. I loved the atmosphere.

Cons

There were times when I would receive ambiguous instruction and was penalized for my misinterpretation. However, management was always patient with me and worked with me through it.

Advice to Management

Please hire more interns from College Track and other first generation college students who are ambitious and need experience! It truly makes a difference.