Education Sales Management Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "A So-So job"

Former Employee - Education Consultant in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Education Consultant in Thornton, CO

I worked at Education Sales Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked that I had the options and ability to work from home.

Cons

While working from home you ran into the possibility of not having help when you needed it. Not a lot of room for advancement.

2. "Retention Specialist"

Former Employee - RetentionSpecialist in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - RetentionSpecialist in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Education Sales Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent work for people who want a brainless, sedentary job. Must check your integrity at the door and be a fantastic sales person.

Cons

Everything else. This is a sales job and all about sales goals under the guise of helping people access online education. Do not be fooled - I still have nightmares about all of the people who will live their lives in student loan debt because I did my job so well under threat of demotion or job loss.

"Awful workplace in Scottsdale"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Education Sales Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was about the only positive thing at ESM/Xerox. Management enticed new employees with a rather high rate of pay to compensate the horrible state of the company (see below). My fellow enrollment counselors understood the circumstances of our incompetence management, and we all bonded over it, but unfortunately, the high turnover negated lasting friendships.

Working for over 2 years in a corporate work environment (my first) developed an awareness of how corporate America operates. In the life of a digital world, Outlook and a super micromanaged workplace are the norm.

Cons

In no particular order, the sad state of affairs was brought about by two glaring issues: incompetent management in-house, and the takeover by Xerox.

The operations manager and team leads hated their jobs and it trickled down to the enrollment counselors. The lines of communication were all but non-existent. If one needed help, and approached leadership, the managers would tell the person to send him/her an email asking the question. It didn't matter the importance or urgency of the question or if it was time sensitive.

The management bred a culture of incompetence. It seemed that if you weren't one of the chosen favorites or were not as incompetent as the head operations manager, you would not be selected for a coaching role. In fact, the culture is set up and by design to limit a person's potential. The metrics are so unrealistically high that it is very difficult to succeed or meet goals. There are those (including myself) who pushed themselves hard to not only meet, but to exceed, these unrealistic goals and metrics, and in the end became targets by management. The operations boss is quite narcissistic and often felt the overachievers, the perfectionists, and the hardest workers were trying to usurp her authority, and the authority of her prized pets, the team leads and coaches.

Advice to Management

Withholding names, operations manager, please find a new place of employment. Please develop humility, please recognize that your employees are truly your greatest asset. In word you said this often, but in practice nothing could be further from the truth.

Operations manager and team leads, please don't make up excuses and employ unethical behavior by forcing the QA person to score a call as a compliance violation just to ensure an employee whom you don't like and want gone is fired. The reason why there is the highest turnover rate (a new hiring class of 9-15 every 3 or 4 months) is because of you collectively.

4. "Great for sales experience"

Current Employee - Customer Care Coach in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Care Coach in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Education Sales Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to showcase skills. Great support system. Encouraged career growth.

Cons

Pay. Corporate restrictions. Menial work.

Advice to Management

The staff has to make more if you're to keep talented people.

5. "Education Consultant"

Current Employee - Education Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Education Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Education Sales Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and people to work with. Lots of opportunity to move up.

Cons

A lot of turnover lately.

Advice to Management

Help those who are within to move up more.

"Only if you are really desperate"

Former Employee - Education Consultant in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Education Consultant in Westminster, CO

I worked at Education Sales Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, easy job. Mindless work - flexible hours and the ability to work from home for most people.

Cons

Where should I start? Terrible pay and benefits. I mean awful. You re treated like a number - literally. Lay-offs constantly. Mis-management of client relationships leads to lay-offs and unpredictable work schedules.

Advice to Management

Care about your people. Actually live by the values that you have on the walls, It would improve your business tremendously.

"Worst Experience Ever"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Education Sales Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none, unless you count being able to fly below the radar and not produce anything meaningful while still drawing a paycheck. This requires being buddies with the right people, otherwise, you are stepped on at every turn.

Cons

Where to start? Upper management is entrenched (especially the directors) and if they don't like you personally they won't even respond to an email from you which can be a real problem if you depend on them for feedback. Middle management has very little direction and so, tends to waffle when providing guidance and absolutely will not stand up for you (but are happy to say they will). Even if you perform to the standards of your immediate manager, you can still be forced out on a whim. The technology is mismanaged which is strange since that is basically the heart of how the company operates. Multiple and frequent outages. I was an analyst and on multiple occassions was asked to adjust findings to support ESM over the client. It is a very dishonest environment without any intergrity. It's a shame too, some of the people are quality but are either apathetic to the point of being frozen in place or on board with upper management and don't care about the little folks. Kudos ot the database folks though, they are the only reason the management of the company can be so poor. God help ESM when the database folks decide to move on.

Advice to Management

Remove the entrenched folks that are only interested in supporting their own ends (shall I name names? nah, you know how you are and so does everyone else). I hope Xerox finds a way to make the company some place better than the private owner left it as. I wouldn't work here, even if the salary they offer is high (and it's not) it simply is not worth the effort. If you are into being consistently demoralized by management and most peers, have a blast and apply at ESM.

8. "Employed by ESM"

Current Employee - Education Consultant in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Education Consultant in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Education Sales Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the best, least stressful job I've ever had. I've been with the company for almost 2 years and have never had any problems. I suppose the stress level depends on how well you are able to deal with getting yelled at on the phone by some people, but for me it's not an issue, I deal well with upset people and don't let it get to me. Also there are very nice people you deal with daily who you are able to help which makes it worth getting yelled at a few times. I've been working for 15 years and have had done everything from waitress to bookkeeping to an Executive Assistant position making $20+ an hour, and would trade that pay any day to have the stress free, enjoyable work environment and caring management I have now.

They told me at the beginning of my employment that one of their priorities was keeping employees happy and creating a fun work environment, and that they understood the importance of family. They have proved all of those things to me repeatedly. I've had a couple of changes in leadership on my account since I started, and every team lead I've had has been great. They are always there to help if you need them, very understanding when you have sicknesses or family issues and give you plenty of PTO time to handle those issues. The 'micromanagement' I've seen some reviews speak of is just monthly coaching sessions to help you be the best you can be at your job. I appreciate it and like being told I'm doing a good job when I am, and learning what I can improve when needed. My team leads are constantly telling me when I do a good job rather than just when I am doing something wrong.

Probably the best part of my job is that after only a couple of months I was allowed to work remotely from home full time, which is the best thing that could've happened to me as a single mother. I appreciate being able to get my child to school, start work, then be here when he gets home, any parent knows how important that is and how much easier it makes life for not just you but your child.

Another thing some complain about is the schedule changes that occur occasionally, shift bids. They do this to accommodate for changing times of year that the client is busy or slow. It is sometimes a little inconvenient, however sometimes you have to make small sacrifices when prioritizing, and as much as I enjoy all of the other aspects of this job, it's a small price to pay to have to change my work schedule around now and then.

I've also seen some complaints on here about pay, however for what we do, we make decent money. The job really isn't difficult. As far as benefits, the medical is a little pricey, but who's isn't these days? I personally love being employed here and if you come to work here and try hard, have good work ethic and a positive attitude, which is something you should do in life in general anyway, you will love working here. I am extremely grateful for the friend who referred me to ESM and to everyone I've worked with and for here.

Cons

I have no complaints about working for this company.

"Decent Pay-- No potential"

Former Employee - Sylvan Learning Center Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sylvan Learning Center Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Education Sales Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were nice enough. Expectations were realistic. Coaching was adequate.

Cons

If you slip and fall in their parking lot while 8 months pregnant, you're pretty much out of luck. I was in the ICU for 12 hours, overnight, because they didn't adequately de-ice their parking lot. I was granted workers comp, but no compensation for the 4 days of work I missed because my back went out when I slipped and fell on ice in their parking lot. Then, when you try to go back to work after your FMLA is up and they don't have a job for you- I guess you're out of luck too. My office moved from Westminster, down to Highlands Ranch, then over to Parker when I tried to return to work. Not only did my office move, but they told me my position was no longer available and I'd have to take a pay cut to keep my job (which I believe is illegal). It was a huge problem for me. I had a newborn, my position was no longer convenient to drive to (it would have been nearly an hour drive to get to work), and they wanted to pay me less and force me into a different type of position (no commission potential). I argued that what they were doing wasn't right, and their response was to tell me, "I'll accept this as your resignation." Not only did they screw me out of my position and pay upon my attempted return from FMLA, they then tried to fight my unemployment claim. I had to ask for a second hearing to get the initial decision overturned.

Advice to Management

Learn better management techniques, and keep your promises to your employees.

10. "Great Company, great people."

Current Employee - Purchasing Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Purchasing Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Education Sales Management part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is great. Employees are great as well.

Cons

Not really much to complain about. No cons.