Education Service Center, Region 20 Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Coordinator II in Selma, TX
    Current Employee - Coordinator II in Selma, TX

I have been working at Education Service Center, Region 20 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company strives on customer service.

Cons

Benefits might not be ideal for everyone.

2. "It's like Middle School All Over Again"

Current Employee - Educational Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Educational Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Education Service Center, Region 20 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay for Ed Specs is very competitive, however benefits are abysmal. You receive the same holidays as a school district except that you will work the entire summer.

Cons

Females dominate the mid and non-management positions. The center is more concerned with employee interaction than the quality of work. I was actually called in for hurting a coworker's feelings because I didn't tell her good morning. It is very cliquish and for those that don't care or have outgrown that behavior it will negatively affect you. Most employees are extremely fake and it is most apparent in their interactions with their clients. This seems to be the predominant culture. The executives of the center are male and can't decide if they want to be innovative in this decade or enforce a dress policy from the 1960s. Dress code is big - don't ever wear sandles or jeans! You'll get numerous emails and have to watch videos on do's and don'ts at their endless meetings. The big focus was on innovation yet this was the most "corporate" place I have ever worked with so many policies on everything. You are also expected to work 10-12 hours a day but are not given comp time to take even within the same work week. And all travel is on your own time and there is a lot of travel! So, if you like a "coaching" type environment where everyone is fake nice and tries too hard, this may be the company for you.

Advice to Management

The endless company meetings and coaching sessions are not needed and doesn't inspire innovation. Innovation is best inspired by flexibility which is not practiced by the rigid structure of work days and protocols.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Education Service Center, Region 20 full-time

Pros

Region 20 has been a great place to work. The staff are friendly and welcoming. The time off benefits are great. The pay is decent for a non-profit. There are lots of little perks like an onsite cafe, discounts at different places, free coffee, and wellness promotions. Professional development is encouraged and a lot of training opportunities are available onsite. IT, HR, and Accounting departments are always available and helpful. Nice employee appreciation events - luncheons, holiday party, breakfasts, etc. Family friendly.

Cons

Some of the IT systems are confusing. Communication between departments is often lacking. Some managers need more training or shouldn't be in management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Trust them to do their jobs. Give constructive feedback.

5. "Education Specialist"

Former Employee - Education Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Education Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Education Service Center, Region 20 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of professional development opportunities; culture of respect and professionalism; collaborative work environment; great environment, access to technology

Cons

Limited potential for career growth; static role; conservative culture; hectic work schedule; focus on external vs. internal clients

Advice to Management

Take more risks, allow Education Specialists a shared leadership role in development of new products and services; allow Education Specialists to lead projects and have budget- and decision-making authority; find the balance between meeting external client needs and fostering a creative culture for employees to learn, grow, and contribute

6. "Region 20"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Education Service Center, Region 20 full-time

Pros

They provide great products and services to the educational community, truly top notch in the delivery of their goal. Generous vacation time.

Cons

Poor work/life management, very low industry standard towards pay, no bonuses and if you are a programmer there is almost zero chance of advancing your career. While they deliver top notch products and services to the educational community, they are not a software shop by trade and it is reflected in their culture and attitudes towards software development. They have extremely unrealistic goals and timelines given the resources they don't possess. Excessive hours are put in for a low pay comparatively across the industry with no compensation to warrant the dedication and experience expected. They dedicate zero resources to career development and it shows. There is an extremely low sense of morale from over work, coupled with under funding of projects and a clear lack of focus on what ever emergency of the day seems to override any medium/long term goal until that goal then becomes the emergency of the day because of lack of realistic goals and planning.

Advice to Management

Make realistic goals that correspond with reality given the resources you have and are able/willing to expend. Stop making promises you can't keep to outsiders.

"Lots of time off, but be warned: Many of the managers are micromanagers (to an extreme)!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Lots of time off. The 37.5 hour work week is nice. Most of the people are really great to work with.

Cons

Way too many chiefs and not enough Indians! Too many silly rules. For example, if you arrive a few minutes late, you're expected to dock your time; but if you work an hour late, then, that's what's just what's expected of you! They're also very strict about a 12-1 lunch hour.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the peons of the company, and listen to what they have to say. There is a lot of dissatisfaction with the micromanagement by the supervisors. ESC-20 has good employees, but the supervisors are allowed to do what they want. In general, there is very low morale among the non-managers.

8. "Great culture! Great people!"

I worked at Education Service Center, Region 20 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for several organizations before and after ESC 20 -- ESC 20 has, by far, the best work environment and culture. I also worked with some of the most talented, professional people in my career. Individual's strengths are truly valued. Opportunities to work on a variety of projects. Ongoing opportunities for high quality professional development allow for continued growth. Great facilities and offices!!

Cons

Workloads can get taxing. Some silos existed in certain divisions. Not crazy about the location.

"I call this place "Region of Hell""

I worked at Education Service Center, Region 20 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay. Fellow employees were nice people. Even some of the management were nice people. Had plenty of moral boosting activities - free lunches, seasonal parties, speakers, and a wellness program (although cheesy, they tried). Work hours - 37.5 a week, 8-4:30 M-F. Benefits are Okay, they were better than nothing. And they have turtles.

Cons

No perks - no cafeteria, no gym or anything like that. Just office places. I feel sorry for whoever programs there - Their computer system dates back to 1984 (I kid you not). Test data was from 1994-95. An IBM/COBOL/JCL/DataCom shop. Sheesh, COBOL and JCL haven't been taught in about 10 years. And DataCom is the worst God-Awful data system ever. They keep trying to retrofit their old system with new technology. And doing it very poorly. They would hire someone for one position, then put them in another position in which they're not qualified. Why? Because they couldn't get anybody for that position (Bait and Switch). Then about 6 months later, we never saw that person again. I personally thought the turnover rate at this place was horrible. If a worker comes in late whether in the morning or from lunch, they are expected to fill out a leave form and use vacation time. But... workers are also expected to work until 5:30-6:00 pm with no comp or overtime (so much for a 37.50 work week). They also expect employees to come in 2-3 times a year on a Sunday with no offer of comp or overtime. They claim that's why they have a 37.5 work weeks. The Sundays are payback. The place is located in a very low-income part of town. Lots of homeless walking around. Sometimes I question how safe it was, but then again they had security (rent-a-cops) to deter the homeless from coming on the property. Very strict Lunch Hour 12-1, so going out to eat was a rush job. The lunchroom was a joke. Two microwaves for about 100 employees. It took 15 minutes just to get to the microwave. They tried added 1 more, but it blew a fuse, then we had no microwaves for the rest of the day. But for some reason they could put in a flat screen TV with cable without any problems. The stress at this place was too high for me, I gained a lot of weight and had sleeping problems. I have never worked at a place where they kept threatening to fire me. If you HAVE to take a job here, because this place is better than being unemployed - continue looking for another job. Get out of there before they get rid of you. Now you know why they have to have so many Moral Boosting Activities.

Advice to Management

While in the lunchroom, a fellow employee asked everyone at the table "During your interview, did you think 'Mr. So-N-So' liked you? Did you think you had the job after the interview?" All of us shook our heads "No". Our feelings about Upper Management never changed - we were peons. All management wouldn't listen to new ideas. Change isn't acceptable. This is why they still a system from 1984.